Ryerson

Ryerson Employer Reviews

it was a good place to work their at the time
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee), Seattle WAJanuary 28, 2015
opportunities to learn all types of jobs. sometimes alot of pressure
Everything you need is here
Sr. Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Norcross, GADecember 29, 2014
Company offers all of the tools you need to succeed in your position. Leadership supports a great work/life balance for their employees and the company is a nice blend of establishment and growth. I would recommend Ryerson without reservation.
ok..
Accounts Payable/Receivable Clerk (Former Employee), Duluth, GANovember 16, 2014
Pros: ok.
Cons: ok
the company was ok. They did not have many customers so the wok was pretty easy.
Good people and good environment
CNC PROGRAMMER (Current Employee), Little Rock, ARSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: good benefits and great coworkers
Cons: lack of personal/sick days
It's a high speed work environment, yet relaxed atmosphere.
Sell various types of steel
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Pounding Mill, VASeptember 1, 2014
I provide information about various types of steel, aluminum and stainless via phone calls I receive as well as email inquires. I also place orders that is derived from these inquires. I also manage various accounts during the day. My co-workers are good to work with and very dependable. The hardest part about the job is when the computer system fails and I have a lot of work to do. Time wasted. The most enjoyable part is helping people obtain what they need in a timely manner and know they are happy with the service.
Looking for a Company with growth potential and job security!
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJuly 15, 2014
Pros: higher wages
Cons: longer temporary probation periods
One day at work the multi-blanking cut to length line malfunctioned, causing the entire coil of material to be rejected. Ultimately resulting in shipping delays for very important material. I learned that even though quotas are targeted, they aren't always met. Coworkers became upset until I pointed out that there could have been small defects that we couldn't catch, which could have jeopardized our jobs. The hardest part of the job is trying to get everyone to buy into the overall goals of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting bonuses and national recognition for production and safety.
Loved the people!
Office support/shipping (Former Employee), Shelbyville, KYJune 11, 2014
Awesome workplace!! Very supportive and everyone was extremely friendly.
Day to day work with co-worker was enjoyable.
Senior Sales Account Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 5, 2014
Pros: customers!!! i loved working with people.
Cons: after 29 years with same company burnede out and became frustrated .
Day to Day business to business contact. I was a senior sales account manager where I dealt daily with a high volume of customers. I did this via phone, fax, and email. I worked up inquiries daily from customer and negotiated when necessary to land orders for our company. When I took the order I would be very through with follow up as much as necessary to insure that the customers material arrived on time and to their specifications. I was a perfectionist which was both good and bad, I was very demanding of myself and co-workers to keep and retain customers . In 29 years I was very proud to have 100 % customer retention. I loved my customers so much that I called them all when I lost my job.
Large metal broker corporation
Fabrication Sales Representative (Former Employee), Portland, ORMay 23, 2014
Pros: reliable hours, a great operating system
Cons: company inflexibility
The company and it's atmosphere was exactly what you would expect from a large corporation. My co-workers in our branch offices were some of the most talented, intelligent, people I've worked with. All had great personalities. I've never seen a group of people who could overcome, at times, overwhelming daily adversity and still perform their jobs perfectly. I learned an immense volume concerning the metal industry and it's different faucets.
It was steel company just very loud
Crane Operator (Former Employee), Greenville, SCMay 6, 2014
I would say a typical day at work was busy wasn't to much time to talk had to get everything done. My co-workers were good people fun to work with and have conversation with.
Great teamwork
Tool and Die Department Manager (Former Employee), Norcross, GAApril 29, 2014
My typical day of work was controlled by any plant emergencies that may arise during the course normal production. I learned how to be flexible so that I could handle new tooling projects and any emergencies that may occur during the course of my shift. I managed all new tooling projects and I made the decision on who would handle emergencies and who would work on new projects. Sometimes the hardest part of the job was to acquire materials need for emergency repairs. The most enjoyable part of the job was when a tooling design that I created help to increase overall production.
Great plact to work
IT Purchasing Agent (Former Employee), Lisle, IlApril 4, 2014
Overall it was a great company to work for. Unfortuantely they were caught in the recession and downsized. Otherwise, I would still be there.
Longevity if not looking to advance
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARMarch 20, 2014
One of the few jobs where there was a daily routine, but also enough new business & quotes coming in to keep it interesting.
a good paying job
Warehouseman, Cut-to-length line operator (Former Employee), Carrollton, TXNovember 22, 2013
god job learned how to run cut to length line the hardest part was getting laid off
passionate about their work
Inside Sales Representative/Account Manager (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 29, 2013
Good management team and leaders.
Be prepared to make decisions and have good reasons for them.
Perfect long term job,yet still challangeing.
Class ! CNC opperator,Weld repair. (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 23, 2013
Pros: challange of up to 2 yrs of no retuns or mistakes.
Cons: went union, changed envirement, i moved.
Ran over 30 different CNC torch-burning machines as fill-in opperator. Maintained up to three years perfect attendance, numerious quartly awards recieved.Great fellow workers. Worked with management commitiees devloping work systems to emprove worker knowledge,abbilities to satisfy customers needs,such as Case,Catipalar,Goverment Contracts,Automotive ,Fabrication.
Enojyed the company as a whole.
Machine Operator/Skilled Craftsman (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 17, 2013
Cons: not much room to advance
Ryerson was a very professional place of employeement. I really enjoyed my time spent there. It was very unfortunately that they had to down size.
good workplace
Steel Cleaner (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PASeptember 24, 2013
i learned alot, more then i ever thought i would learn at a job, had mad fun
Lost, no focus, self serving management, they will lay you off in a New York second
Territory Manager (Former Employee), GreensboroSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: good inventory levels
Cons: constant change, no possibility of commission, negative management
Could be a great place but they use people and laid them off to meet goal. I worked for the Greensboro branch, no job security, terrible moral and constant change. Management not to be trusted. If you are looking for a short term assignment this could work but make sure you have an exit strategy. Don't get sucked into their web. They hide margin info to prevent paying commission
Productive/Professional Work Enviornment
Account Manager (Former Employee), Fort Smith, ARAugust 21, 2013
Pros: occasional after hours celebrations and lunches with customers alway paid by the company.
Cons: fluctuating commisions
Nice, easy to get along with employees and management. 8-9 hour days are typical for Sales. Occasional after hours celebration events always paid by the company.

About Ryerson

Ryerson is an international, diversified company that processes and distributes metals. The company serves industries including – Read more