Ryerson Employee Reviews in United States

hot/cold warehouse with no air or heat
Service Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 17, 2015
I'd go in not knowing how much weight we would have, log into as400 then start printing load plans, after that id go out and start unloading incoming trucks of metal.. once that's done we began loading trucks.. anywhere between five-ten trucks a night. a full 8 hours steedy with no breaks not including the over time we work.. 70hrs a week. five days a week. it was a horrible place to work, the managment didnt care if you was in the hospital dying. If you dont show up for work then your fired. they offered benefits but trying to use a vacation day or anything similar to that is like trying to win the lottery. I was injured on the job due to horrible teachings and equipment malfunction, not long after that they fired me.
Pros
great money
Cons
Horrible managment, not understanding, they dont care about their employess
Poor compensation for sales role
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 13, 2015
Had a base salary that was not a draw on commissions. That is okay but considering the sales incentive is not tied to sales for the call center in Minneapolis the bonus seems counterintuitive.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Bad Sales Incentive Program
Ryerson Metals
Senior Analyst - Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILJuly 17, 2016
I was at Ryerson for 16 years. Job advancement was excellent. Great benefits and work environment. Excellent work environment. Bonuses were for all Salaried employees.
Pros
Great advancement opportunities.
Cons
Location of office from home.
a safe place to work
Burn Table Operator (Former Employee) –  Mobile County, ALAugust 4, 2016
they have a really good safety team. shop is clean and equipment is up to date and in good quality. i enjoyed my time there. i would go back any day if i could. and every one that works there is great.
Great place to work, great co-workers, advancement opportunities.
Procurement Specialist - North Inventory Group (Former Employee) –  Carnegie, PAMarch 29, 2016
Purchasing department was being moved to Chicago at the time and did not want to relocate. Enjoyed working with the five branches that were assigned to me and keeping their contract customers supplied with material for production.
Good people great company
Saw operater (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 31, 2016
Great place to work until work slowed down. Clean work environment. Very safety oriented. Worked with same people for a long time. Stable job.
Pros
Good pay, good people
Cons
No sick days
good people to work with
Burner/Material Handller (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2016
good people to work with time went fast .the four day work week was easy to get take enjoyed three day weekends. We had a meeting before each shift find out what was needed to b accomplished that day a ok place to work
Challenging and a great learning experience
Quality Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2015
A typical work day would consist of keeping up with customer credits and/or returns. Making sure all tools were calibrated and checking material test reports.
There was always something to learn, whether it would be learning customer specifications for material they ordered or how the saws were operated.
Management and co-workers were always easy to approach for help with anything I was working on.
One of the most enjoyable part of the job was everyone worked well with each other.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Healthcare
only worry about money not customers
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 19, 2016
All the management cares about is sales and then customer. Lost customers due to lack of customer focus. There is a lot of turnover on the inside.
Read stars
Outside Sales Rep. /Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COAugust 19, 2013
Read the stars, really there is nothing more to say here. I just need to post my resume and move on to find a job or change my career.
Thanks
They are a good company , great pay and benefits but not a long term employer. They are to big company owned by investors they are concerned only with numbers not people. And when the number are not working the first thing they do is cut people to make margins.
Has a lot of improvements to make.
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 23, 2015
I was laid off after 5 years. Hope they do well. They have a lot of resources but hard to understand their vision . I did well for them and was appreciated by lower management.
Great experience
Inside Sales Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 5, 2015
My first sales job. Training and education on product knowledge,territory analysis, and selling techniques was superior and set the tone for the rest of my successful sales career.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities
nice coworkers
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DENovember 16, 2015
a good and fun environment to work at. nice coworkers.half hour lunch each day. you can catch a ride with a coworkers. sometimes they provide us with lunch.
Nice family owned business
Long Product Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 19, 2015
Local Pittsburgh based company that supported the tool & die industry. Owned was hands on as well as other family members.
A once great company
Inside Sales Representative-Fabrication Sales (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 29, 2015
Ryerson was once a great company. Recent changes in management have made it a hostile work environment to be apart of. It is a company with a potential with the right management in place.
Good people and good environment
CNC PROGRAMMER (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 15, 2014
It's a high speed work environment, yet relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
good benefits and great coworkers
Cons
lack of personal/sick days
Productive and challenging work setting
Service Center Operator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 14, 2015
I was in charge of loading trucks. Easy and productive work, but challenging at times. I met my daily quota and went beyond my work load and responsibilities.
Enjoyable workplace with opportunity for growth.
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  MidwestMay 23, 2015
Excellent management in general, with all leadership aligned with organizational strategy. The industry in which Ryerson operates is slightly behind the times and changing the mentality of a veteran workforce is difficult. The company is heading in the right direction in a challenging economic environment.

The company encourages new ideas and embraces change.
Pros
Opportunity
A great company to work for
Dispatcher/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 16, 2015
•Provided dispatching services,Logged load plan information into the computer,Prepared materials for the truck drivers to deliver,Updated purchase orders and buyouts and Drove the forklift to the location where the loaders were placing the materials on the truck (staging).I learn how to be a dispatcher.I got along with management and the co-workers.The hardest part about the job was the 45 min.drive one way and i enjoy what i did.
Evolving
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Newark,DESeptember 19, 2015
This company is a nice company to work for and is evolving into a corporately run business in order to meet the needs of many business.
Pros
famiy oriented company