SAIC Employee Reviews

Found 1,101 reviews matching the search
Professional Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Anniston, ALMarch 18, 2015
Promoted and fulfilled a broad range of HR functions, including recruiting and training employees, overseeing disciplinary action and managing HR records, resolved conflicts and performed exit interviews.
 Conducts ongoing research, analysis, and reporting of leading edge, best practices, and benchmarking relating to initiatives. Serve as an expert and a resource to managers and employees. Establish and maintain on-going relationships with peers and partners in key organizations and companies
 Served as a liaison for continuing education, professional development, and career planning advisement.
 Assisted HR Manager with preliminary investigation of conflicts or difficulties encountered by departments and/or personnel affecting employer-employee relationships.
 Recommended solutions or refers employee problems and complaints to Chief HR Officer or other appropriate personnel; may facilitate and identify counseling referral assistance.
 Interpreted policies, procedures, and laws pertaining to employee relationships.
 Responded to inquiries about HR policies and procedures; recommend and implement changes to the meet needs of the firm.
 Reviewed with attorneys and directors employee issues and recommends corrective action as appropriate.
 Assisted contracted law firms with development of emergency response guidance for municipalities
 Prepared ad-hoc reports for members of the management team as it relates to employee data.
 Administered annual review program. Sets up the evaluations and evaluate-to-evaluator relationships. Coordinates the communication and overall schedule
  more... for the annual performance evaluation and salary review cycle.
 Responded to evaluator questions about using the performance management application.
 Assisted managers on the value and importance of evaluations and how to best leverage evaluations and assess employees that are not meeting expectations.
 Ensured that performance evaluations have been completed and administered for every staff employee.
 Identified and recruiter primary and secondary instructors to meet the Performance Work Statement for the Center for Domestic Preparedness.
 Researches, develops and implements innovative tools and methods, identifies trends, and analyzes macro efficiency and effectiveness of executive communication and leadership development tools.
 Created flexible short- and long-term plans that optimize and align organization development, leadership development and executive communications processes to support changing organizational priorities.
Poor management makes worse work environment
Staff Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  Towanda, PASeptember 5, 2013
While SAIC (and the newly formed LEIDOS) outwardly insist on ethical behavior, fundamentally the management system is so flawed that ethics take a back seat to office politics. Many times I had no idea whom to speak to about a problem, because there are excessive layers of management. Problems with other employees, lack of adherence to Standard Operating Procedures, and poor job performance were consistently "swept under the rug", due primarily to intra-office politics and relationships.

Although they profess the opposite, SAIC (and LEIDOS) are still a "good old boys" network. When layoffs occurred recently at the office I was working in, the only people kept, save one, were in couples. There were 4 couples in total, and 2 of the women had a reporting relationship to the men that they were involved with. Please do not pass this off as speculation.....all 4 couples have now moved out of company housing and in with each other in separate units. It felt like I was in an incestuous middle school, with the class clown running the office. When I asked my "manager" why I was chosen for layoff, I was told that he didn't know me very well. Seems logical.

Additionally, there are virtually no avenues for advancement or movement, be it laterally or vertically. Once you are hired on under a title, you are put into a box, and given few opportunities to work on anything else. I had over 10 years of experience in the environmental field, and when I asked my supervisor if I could work on a project that was more than applicable with my experience, he said that he had already hired it out, and
  more... hadn't looked at any of the current employees resumes.

If you are young and inexperienced, and do not have a strong sense of morality and ethical advancement and treatment of others, this company is for you.
Pros
opportunity for overtime
Cons
office politics, poor management, lack of vertical advancement
Network and Telecommunications
Communications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 2, 2014
Acted as lead subject matter expert with three direct reports. On all Huntsville/Redstone MDA PBX telephone systems implanted DOD Information Assurance Certification & Accreditation Process (DIACAP package) per DOD Directive 8500.1 and 5025.1-M, Assessed and Implemented Defense Switch Network DISA STIG,
DIACAP Implementation Plan (DIP), System Identification Profile (SIP), Plan of Action & Milestones (PO&M), Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC) approval documents and other supporting Artifacts Per DOD Directive 8500.1, 5025.1-M, also implemented MDA Directive 5200.02 Information Security, MDA Directive 5200.01 Security, and MDA 5210.01-M Physical Security. Written Policies, Procedures and Guidelines that fall within the DOD and MDA directives. Managed systems access accounts local and remote. Installed system vulnerability patches OS VXworks/Linux. Provided IT support to SAP on a continuous basis. Managed three direct reports. Managed projects and Maintained and preformed system design and implantation on Nortel 81c, 11c, 1000b, 1000E and 1000M VOIP systems, Avaya G3 System. Installation of circuits ISDN, T1 PRI, POTS, analog and digital telephone lines. System design of Nortel SRG50, and 1000E VOIP systems. Installed and maintained cabling infrastructure, Cat 5E, and Multi mode fiber. Maintained ISDN circuits for secure and unsecured VTC, STE, and Sectra communications. Provided the SMDC with maintenance of multi-media interface floor boxes. Maintenance of voice mail and conference bridge services. Troubleshoot report and track circuit, phones. cell/wireless (Blackberry
  more... devices with data) and internet related issues. Provide end user support for mobile (wireless) and stationary telecommunications equipment. Provide end user support for mobile (wireless) and stationary. Provide support for COMSEC requirements. Configuration of KIV and TACLANE encryption devices telecommunications equipment. Cisco networks primarily switch management, working on CCNA Certification. Familiar with switching and routing protocols. I am willing to discuss my knowledge on this subject.  less
Pros
people i work with and support.
Cons
contract is ending.
Excellent organizational management
CONUS-based Logistical Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 29, 2014
Logistic Technician III - For M-ATV MRAP Variant of vehicles, equipment/projects. Coordinate w/ILSC, PSID, PEO, IPT, GVIC team members/associates for strategic planning/functional support. Supporting the current operations in Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan in support of MRAP missions. Support integration, coordination, and synchronization of current operations in support of the MRAP Sustainment Facility (MSF) missions to include coordination required to support the MRAP capability integration and refurbishment actions. Develop integrated logistics support plans addressing principal ILS elements of total life cycle planning, to include supply/maintenance plans, system design, research, diagnostics, test equipment, manpower/personnel, training devices, support equipment.

Assure availability of logistics support information required to coordinate/develop materiel-fielding plans/releases. Participate in special studies/projects to assist in resolving supply, maintenance, logistics, contingency planning or system sustainment problems as well as configuration management, publication and provisioning issues that arise. Determine and recommend the sequence and timing of key program events and milestones, decision methods, and alternative approaches to achieve established mission goals.

Support requirements based on emerging DOD logistics concepts. provides input to acquisition milestone documentation, assesses user requirements to include preventive maintenance planning, processes, analyses, conducts field problem analysis, designs distribution plans, develops/monitors logistics budgets,
  more... performs contingency planning and global resource identification for logistics sources/inventories/processes. Analyze, evaluate, review and consider overall operations, plans and logistics programs of a substantive nature in providing a full range of operations, plans and logistical support to the JPO Program.

Accepting and resolving requests for information, resolving issues, and participating in the planning process in support of the capability integration and refurbishment mission Serves as the focal point for CONUS-OCONUS transportation of key MRAP items to include parts supplies, and other material required to sustain the MRAP fleet. Communicate at all levels to include senior leadership, preparing, coordinating and providing technical accuracy in written and oral communications.
Professional and Ethical. A good career Choice.
Electronics Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, South CarolinaAugust 23, 2013
SAIC is a good company to work for if you have a Degree background and have a solid career goal in mind. However, if you are in the contracts division that career mind cannot be assured as to there is a lot of dependence on awaiting financing from customer sources.
I found that my employment with this company was rewarding in the areas of being given the opportunity to display my strengths and advance through the lower management ranks. opportunities abound in the areas of travel, and if you are willing to travel abroad and to areas where there is a high probability for hazardous operations, the financial rewards can be substantial.
SAIC has very high ethical standards and they maintain a highly professional workforce of motivated employees who love what they do, and are willing to put in whatever time is necessary in order to accomplish any kind of given tasks that may be assigned to them.
In my own personal experience working while being deployed overseas in Afghanistan was a challenging task. I was assigned to a forward operating base that was just beginning to be built up, and we worked out of a 20 foot container in which we physically had to build the office with wood, electrical, and other supplies given to us by the on site joint logistics team. We had no communications to the office, so we had to personally purchase a satellite communications system in order to get internet, which still was not the best solution. having to "FOB HOP" out to smaller outposts were difficult due to the fact that those outposts were frequent targets of rocket and mortar attack.
Pros
travel opportunites often
Cons
healthcare, frequent layoffs, some management staff that could care less about lower ranking employees.
Great People to work with
IA Engineer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAMarch 18, 2013
The best part of working for SAIC has always been the co-workers. It's true, there has been a rare exception once in awhile, but by and large, the many people I have worked with here have been great. With Information Assurance, it is always a fast-paced adventure and you are always learning new things and it is no exception at SAIC. Perhaps the hardest part of the job is keeping pace with these changes, but it is inherent in this space. The pace of work can vary greatly and at the more intense times, the good-natured way in which most of the employees here are able to handle it makes it much easier to deal with. And when it's not, it's even better.

However, it should be noted that this company was a better company, in my opinion, back when it was an Employee-Owned Company, and when it was overseen by it's founder. Once the company founder left and it was ultimately offered publicly, the culture shifted toward a typically more corporate environment, and I do not think we benefited from this shift. Many of the great co-workers are here, but the numbers are clearly dwindling. Perhaps SAIC's greatest days have passed, I do not know, however, I do know that the current atmosphere in Government Contracting, with the inability of the two parties to function with one another at present, has certainly hurt them and all other contractors. To what extent this has affected the opinions provided, I am not certain. But this is why I've knocked off a star from most of the ratings (as compared to the way I would've rated them 3-5 years ago).
Pros
flexibility, great co-workers, good on the job skill development
Cons
pay and benefits seems to fall behind similar in industry, must fight for it too
site meeting with free lunch or dinner, service vehicle.
Vehicle Barrier Technician (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 29, 2012
Responsibilities defined in TO 6273 performing remedial
maintenance, preventive maintenance and repair to permanently installed AT/FP Equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications on 11 K12 Pop-Up Barriers DSC501, 5 DSC720 Hydraulic Bollards, 16 DSC TT210 Hydraulic Bollards, 4 DSC TT260/280 Harden Crash Gates, 6 DSC TC14 Tire Shredders, 7 DSC MTC6000 Tire Spikes, 2 DSC AG812 Drop Arms and Turnstiles. Repair and Maintains a $7 million dollar inventory of AT/FP equipment and supplies at Yokota AB Perimeter.

Expanded my knowledge on different type of AT/FP K12 Equipments.Procure and Order needed critical parts, bench stock, tools and test equipment. Provided Documented Reports, prepare and deliver Project Work Plan (PWP) a proposed schedule of activities of tasking, monthly Project Status Report (PSR), 30 days Final Status Report (FSR), Critical Spares Inventory Report and 180days Inventory Reports to HQ. Gets along with all my co-workers. Hardest part of job is when equipment mulfunctions and no spare parts on hand or tools that is needed for the job to be done. Easy part of job is when all equipments are in proper maintenance and a daily inspection where I get on top of worn out parts and replace with a new part for a prolonged life cycle of equipment, job gets easier everyday.
Pros
after 12 hrs of work we get free lunch or dinner
Cons
we get 15min break every 2 hrs of work, sick leave and comprhensive leave and holiday pay
Mostly good, but with some bad experiences.
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 1, 2012
Overall, a good experience, but employees were not counseled on career path choices. Salary was below the norm for me. Benefits were different for different companies. Company 6 was formed paying lower salaries and fewer benefits than the established Company 1. Many Company 1 employees were transferred to Company 6, causing morale problems among Company 6 employees. I was transferred to another Division and was later returned to my former location to work on a major contract on which I was the SAIC member of a multi-company proposal team, while still belonging to the new Division while working for my former Division in Florida. My supervisor was in California. There was mistrust among the Divisions that affected my relationships with my former superiors and co-workers. My boss was too far from me to fairly evaluate my performance. I felt that I was in a box which would affect my career growth. I resigned to go to work for another company. Shortly after being employed by SAIC, I made Employee of the Month and was awarded several $1000 to $2000 bonuses during the first year. I single handedly wrote and won a Sole Source Contract. I was assigned a former SAIC Vice President to work for me on the project. He was an intelligent out-spoken person who sabotaged my study. I have reasons to believe that it was planned by SAIC upper management in conjunction with Mitre, a company that feared exposure that the study could have portrayed by the unbiased results sought by the Government.
Very nice coworkers, located near home
GIS Specialist (Current Employee) –  California, MDJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day at work involved me arriving at the office around 7:00 am and then I would spend some time checking emails and figuring out what I need to accomplish for the day. I would usually be either conducting a site visit to collect above ground utility features or I would be editing and updating utility databases based on GPS data or markups by the on-site subject matter experts.

I have learned much about how to work in a professional setting as well as how to communicate effectively. Also if you are a reliable employee you will have freedom to work independently with minor disruption from management.

My coworkers were the bright spot of working for SAIC. They were always very nice and considerate.

The hardest part of the job is always complying with the ever changing corporate structure of the company. It seems like there are policy changes and management changes every week.

The best part of the job is definitely being able to get out from behind the desk and go to different naval installations around the region to both meet with on site personnel and to collect above ground utility or other data with the handheld GPS unit.
Pros
occasional free food, flexible schedule
Cons
large corporation management style, feel like the management is more worried about themselves than the employees under them
Various jobs and duties
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMay 3, 2012
Since being at SAIC, I have moved around into different job areas. although, you tend to get use to doing a certain thing and become comfortable, a new experince is alway a welcome change. I have moved up in positions greater with higher expectations because of my ability to perform well. I have been given opportunities and have been able to accomplish any task put before me. Although my job title has not change, reasoning know, I held many positions at SAIC and succeeded. Management has been a very supportive role in my achievments and rewarded me for a job well done. The hardest part of the jobs have been being placed in jobs with little or no training. For instance, someone may go on travel suddenly and they choose me to fill that position. The most enjoyable part is getting to know a various jobs and many people in the company. I work well with others and have always fit right in with a new team. The benefits are excellent, but the job is not secure. I've seen many lay-off's since I've been here. I have made it thru all of them so far. I count my blessings. I am single and support myself, so I'm looking for something more dependable. My job tends to be what I wrap my life around. Dedication, that's me.
Productive and professional work environment
AV Technician (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 2, 2013
A typical day at work entails arriving on time, greeting my fabulous coworkers (there are seven of us within a room, so we tend to operate like a family) and then preparing myself for the day. Management has great confidence in us and our abilities to perform our day to day activities. I would describe the style of management as democratic. My coworkers are highly competent and well versed in the area in which we work. They have been working together for decades. It is a highly secure position. I have been on board for almost two years and they have made me feel as though I've worked with them my entire working tenure. It is a very natural and caring environment where when one person needs assistance with anything, they need only to ask aloud and one or several of the seven will be at there side (of course, this is contingent upon the workload/activities being performed at the time). The most challenging part of my job is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job for me and that is when we get a sudden surge of work that must be completed all at once. I am performing multiple tasks simultaneously and deadlines are tight. The pressure drives me to a level of intense focus and once all tasks have been accomplished successfully, I am satisfied.
SAIC at a glance
Senior Systems Engineer Manager/Task Manager (Current Employee) –  King George, VAMarch 4, 2013
My time at SAIC has been enjoyable. SAIC works hard to ensure that all employees adhere to their core Ethics and Standards focusing on customer relations. My days consist of reading through and answering emails from my customer and other contractors who have questions on the programs I work on as well as reviewing and commenting on requirements documents for the programs. Ensuring that all facets of the program are examined by me and knowing where different types of program philoshpies come from are important to staying on top of the everyday meetings and review boards. Managing my team of engineers is very enjoyable, I very much enjoy working with people and leading a team of highly qualified and junior engineers. Passing my knowledge down to the junior engineers is a very important part of ensuring that my team stays strong and allowing an outlet for the senior engineers to discuss with me their insight into program risks and mitigations as well as their overall knowledge is very important as well. The hardest part of my job is keeping up with customer demands as they sometimes change midway through some of the tasks. I have to adapt and ensure my team is aware of the change and what it means for them to be able to adapt and overcome the challenges. I have learned a lot about System Engineering multiple programs at a time and their nuances that they each have and how to ensure quality work for each task.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
management communication
Very progressive environment, yet able to maintain core values.
Cartographic Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Lous, MOJanuary 14, 2013
SAIC is such a large company that any one individual's experiences cannot encompass all the possible environments a prospective employee might experience. My experience was working directly with young adults, fresh out of college, to "graybeards" such as myself. If you're adaptable and comfortable working with a wide range of personality types, you may do well. If you're ex-military, SAIC will take great pains to ensure a smooth transition to civilian life, while tapping your knowledge to improve their customer service.

I enjoyed working for SAIC, but looking back, I see the need for there to be a much more equitable balance between work and life's other activities. I was surprised to be terminated, but as they are an "at-will" employer, this can happen for no reason whatsoever. Does it? Not usually. SAIC will make some effort to find you work through other contracts they hold, should you find yourself in a position to require it. Listen to your team leads, supervisors, and upper management and they will almost always do the same for you.
SAIC is a great company to work for. My co-workers and bosses are very helpful and provide a great team working environment
Contract Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MissouriAugust 28, 2012
A typical day at work was to research and extract dams, ski lifts, gondolas, and cable cars. We used ArcGIS 10.0 to extract the desired features and also an in-house program to research.

I learned allot about team building skills and more editing features in ArcGIS 10.0

Every project SAIC is a part of is always done in a team environment. My team was wonderful and communicated properly so that we could get the project done efficiently.

The hardest part of the job was the monotony of extracting the same thing every day for ten months. However, I do understand that is a big part of working in the GIS world so I didn't mind it too much.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great co-workers and learning team building skills. Also, they were very flexible with everyone's schedule. We could come in anytime from 6:00 - 9:00 and then leave at 5:00 at the very latest. This was a huge plus considering St. Louis traffic is horrible. Therefore, I could come in at 6:00 and beat the rush and then also be done with work by 2:00 pm everyday.
Pros
flexibility in hours and taking time off
Cons
sitting in a chair for 8 hours straight
Good Opportunity and experience but questionable career.
Task Lead (Former Employee) –  Hickam AFB, HIMarch 30, 2012
The company offers good pay and incentives. They have tons of resources available online ( which includes quite a few mandatory training ). They have extremely strict time charging policies; while this is not a bad thing, sometimes there is poor direction on what they would like done ( or preferred way of something being done ). Do not overestimate your worth, even someone with 15 years to the company and an OUTSTANDING performance record can be let go without a thought. One critical thing to remember ( Especially dealing with contracts as SAIC handles a lot of military contracts ) as an employee you are expendable and upper management will NOT put the time, effort, and the company's reputation to help out an employee or defend his actions even if it is the CORRECT course of action and follows the company's policy to the "T". If the customer is unsatisfied for whatever reason it can be your job on the line.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, company paid partys/meetings/events, excellent and extremely helpful hr department
Cons
poor communication, management is broken, treated as expendable

Comment – April 1, 2012

As a former employee of this company, I know without a doubt, you are treated as an expendable.

No micro-managing. For the most part, great co-workers
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, AlJune 12, 2014
I loved that I could go in to my work and do my job without feeling as if there was someone constantly looking over my shoulder. One can get much more work accomplished when there is not as much micro-managing involved. It was known to us that if we ever needed management help, it was available to us. That is what was so know about SAIC. They trusted us to get our work done and if we did have a problem to go to them and discuss it. I learned that not all employees have the same ethics. I am a hard-driven, goal-oriented person; for that reason, I had to recognize that not all people have the same drive as I do. The hardest part of the job was learning to deal with others' lack of enthusiasm or motivation to get their job done in order so that I can get my job completed. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning the field of technical writing and working with others such as the software engineers to assist them in making their job easier, too, which in turn made my job easier when writing the help manuals and other manuals for the aircraft and proponents I was responsible for.
Pros
great management; awesome parties; wonderful employees
Cons
i did not find any that is worth really mentioning here.
Not the same company it used to be....
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 8, 2013
Was a great company to work for...not anymore. SAIC is a large and decentralized company so my experience can be different than others. I think it is a general assessment of employees that the company is far from the employee ownership culture it once had. Going public damaged this--the reduction in defense spending also hurts, but essentially it is a big corporate, short-term bottom line oriented managed company. We used to have good health insurance plan, now it is marginally better than getting an individual plan: effectively a few thousand dollar pay cut. I worked long hours, traveled, performed to my best ability to be burned and let go via email during company restructuring split.
I worked on exciting and interesting programs, but the operations managers did not understand how to manage them and unfortunately made questionable organizational and business development decisions. Oh well.
Pros
9 holidays, good vacation time, flexible working hours, interesting programs
Cons
healthcare, job security, disconnected management, bottom-line short-term oriented.
A good work place with friendly people and hard workers
Data Technician / Vehicle Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Redstone Arsenal, ALFebruary 5, 2014
A typical day at work would be, getting to work at 7:20 and start work at 7:30. Check all company vehicles mileage, mechanical issues, and tires. Record all vehicles information on the computer using Microsoft spreadsheets excel. Then go over to the classified information building and start collecting files in alphabetical order and start inputting the information onto my computer using Microsoft Excel for the rest of the day until 4:30pm when I would get off work. I learned very accredited computer skills and how to deal with international and national companies and customers. I also learned how to talk very exceptionally in front of companies and future customers. My co-workers were very hard working, safety oriented, smart, and really care about their jobs. There was no hard part about my job. It was pretty easy and very much explained. The most enjoyable part of my job was working for a worldwide company, even if it was on a contract of 3 years it was still the most successful job I have ever had.
Pros
secret security clearance, hour lunch breaks, great office, and awesome company.
Cons
non
Big business with great co-workers
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NJAugust 9, 2013
I would get to work everyday and check all of my emails and phone messages. Print a report of the vendors that SAIC has orders out to, go through it and highlight the calls I needed to make. Spent the rest of the day answering calls and making calls while updating the system notes about specific vendors. If I had any free time I would file for about 30-60 mins. a day.

Management was really great in that they would always stop by everyday to see how you were doing and how you were handling your individual workload. Very active in making sure our team was close and comfortable with each other.

Hardest part of the job was multi-tasking between your report workload, incoming phone calls, specific tasks the managers had for you, and being able to complete your filing every week.

I enjoyed all of the team building dinners and meetings SAIC had for their employees.
Pros
overtime, pay, co-workers, own work space, very helpful of you fell behind
Cons
the amount of work for one person, unable to rise from original job i was hired for, amount of managers after you for the same exact thing.
Highly oriented on employee development, skills, and value added.
Accounts Receivable Development (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 25, 2013
* A typical day at work involved development of new Accounts Receivable models and processes for multiple inter-company location and rate structures; using the models to bill projects, and training new and exisiting employees on usage.
* I learned that building models and teaching models are not as easy as using models, that international projects required substantial time and resources to analyze and bill that could be modified and streamlined for cost savings in unexpected ways.
* Management was highly interested in ways to reduce time lags in billing cycles and saving the complany money and effort, communicating requirements and ideas in an open and helpful manner.
* My co-workers were skilled, hardworking people, who approached their work with dedication, caliber and a good sense of humor.
* The hardest part of my job was understanding the variable rules between government, civil and international billing rules, philosophys and systems requiring constant interactive updating.
* The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing endeavors come to fruition, and the people in support of the work.
Pros
variable work hours if needed, relaxed clothing requirements
Cons
none that i can think of.