SAIC Employee Reviews

Found 1,101 reviews matching the search
Hark working, loyal, mentally and physically fit and I enjoy learning.
Senior Facility Logistician (Current Employee) –  MacDill AFB, FLJanuary 24, 2014
Since joining the Armed Forces I've grown to become the type of person that believes in hard work, and doing things right. Since a large part of our lives are at work I make it a point to work well with others so that they enjoy work. A typical day at work is best described as organized chaos. Since I work for the DOD and all these budget changes and restructuring are happening, you experience new challenges everyday. Serving under the Special Operations Command I've had the pleasure of meeting some of the best individuals America has to offer. I've learned leadership from them, and the importance of teamwork. In fact, all of my military experience has developed these attributes and I'm looking for an opportunity to contribute what I have learned.
Pros
self development
Cons
sometimes this development has taken time away from my family
The culture they introduce is not what they practice
Geologist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 27, 2012
Co-workers were good for the most part, but, like any work place you need to be careful of what you say because it will spread like wildfire. Management was horrendous to put it nicely...one of my supervisors literally punched the wall of an engineers cube wall because he was spending time getting his calculations right for our biggest client. Everyday someone was throwing someone else under the bus and no one would own up to their own mistakes. No one was an adult about any situation, especially management. I would never recommend anyone working for SAIC. They give you great raises then tell you that you are too expensive to bill out and lay you off. They are a very immature company with not ethics, morals or values.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
harassment, violent work place, degrading
Self growth
Redswitch Technician- Troubleshooting (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 8, 2012
The job has a balance of those that want to work hard and know their job well, and those that are retired from military and just looking to show up for the 8hrs and then go home. Management is solid, if you know your job they give you the jobs and allow you to do it. Only time they step in is if you have a question, or need support. Hardest part of my job is working with other maintenance sites where they might not have the same work attitude as our site. Enjoyable part of the job is the management and customers really show their appreciation. Unfortunately this job has technicians and one supervisor and a manager. If you are there for 10 yrs, your still only a technician. No room for growth, and once you learn the job, there really isn't any big surprises you encounter. I look for more challenges.
Pros
relaxed work environment, great management, contact with high level executives
Cons
no room for growth
Work onsite with Federal Government clients
Management Consultant II (Current Employee) –  McLean, VirginiaNovember 14, 2013
Enjoyed working as a contractor for Federal Governent especially the Department of Defense - I am a veteran and like to keep close ties to that environment when I can.
Learned Emergency Management while working at the Department Of The Treasure - Continuity Of Operation Preparedness (COOP) exercises - relationship between federal, local, state, tribal entities when it comes to preparedness and disaster readiness. Loved participating in COOP exercises, and facilitating the assurance of the importance of being prepared. Database retention of all civilian and government personnel personal data updates.
Difficult part is working in uncharted territory. Learing terminology, regulations - completing FEMA courses based on contracutal oblication.
I enjoyed this tour because I enjoy learning new approches, methodology, and solutions to emergency preparedness and disaster training.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
disconnect from immediate supervisor and other division personnel.
Excellent job
Trainer/ Team Member for Team IMPASS (Former Employee) –  Based in Virginia Beach, Va......Job at seaJanuary 20, 2014
Typical day involves a small boat ride to meet a destroyer already at sea, followed by a chain of command in-brief,system check out and training for the ships team that will be assisting us in the deployment of the IMPASS system. Later in the evening we would observe a training scenario by the team we were there to certify. The following morning we would be up very early to set the system up and deploy it into the ocean. We would then conduct the certification and depart the ship either via small boat of at the pier.

My co-workers were all of the same level of knowledge and dedication and we worked very well as a team.
I think the hardest part of the job was the small boat rides in the winter and having to climb a Jacobs ladder to get onboard the ship, at times it can be very dangerous.
Pros
able to effect change and be a positive role model
Cons
hours were sometimes demanding, small boat rides can sometimes be dangerous
The Project kept a upbeat atomsphere
Record’s Technician II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 13, 2012
Working for SAIC on this project was an enjoyable experience. Each day you knew your assignment (data entry) and you knew there was room for advancement if you chose to. This made coming to work more satisfying. SAIC was not the only subcontractor on this project. SAIC was the number two (science and administrative) and TRW number one there were more TRW employees. My co-workers and management were from many different subcontractors and it was not encouraged to talk about each other companies. SAIC’s benefits were great, cost of living raises, bonuses, recognition for good work. When SAIC had to share the contract with BSC they gave us a choice of staying or leaving with the company to another location. This was the hardest decision I had to make.
Pros
great picnics, raises, benefits, bonuses, meetings to let you know what was going on. a representative on site.
Cons
having to leave the company
NMCI Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 26, 2015
Daily routine consist of checking the queue for Incident Tickets that are assigned to each tech. Going to the user's location to troubleshoot the issue. If I can resolve the user's technical issue, then I will update and close the Incident ticket.

Each day there a problem arises that is new and there isn't a document solution. That's when the challenge comes in to resolve and document the fix.

Management is as expected and so are my co-workers. I get along well with everyone and we share the load. The hardest part of the job is not being able to resolve an issue quickly. Sometimes parts need to be ordered or the user's in unavailable.

Most enjoyable part of my job is meeting new people and how they respond when I resolve their technical issues. My customers know me by name and we have a good rapport with one another.
Productive Workplace with fun people
Software Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  California, MDFebruary 16, 2014
We would use the Scrum and the software life cycle to manage the priorities of software development. When the priorities were in order I would work off my portion of the software that needed to be developed, maintained, or fixed. I learned how to perform client/server communication using SSL sockets, program in multiple languages including C#, Java, and bash shell script, worked with windows, worked with linux, and develop my object-oriented skills and design patterns. The most enjoyable part was working with my co-workers and always being able to learn something new. The hardest part was making a large variety of technologies both hardware and software to work together in the system with stringent security policies in place.
Pros
fun working atmosphere with flexible hours
Cons
the complexity of the system made it difficult to manage between multiple companies
Great work place that values employees
Contracts Assistant (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 19, 2013
Over the past 14 years I have gained knowledge on Government and Commercial contracts from award through closeout. I was able to become familiar with FAR/DFAR Clauses, and submitted DD250's, Patent Reports, confirmed Property and Security were closed out. Therefore I had the opportunity to interact with various levels of Government personal and interally. Management has been wonderful and was able to balanace work and life for me by allowing me to cut my 2+ hour per day commute to allow me to telework for the past 5 years. I have enjoyed working for SAIC and will greatly miss being a part of the team. Due to organizational restructuring, I received a layoff notification that is effective on 4 October.
Pros
working with a great group of people and being part of an exceptional team
Cons
being laidoff due to organizational restructuring
The is an OUTSTANDING company
IMPEMENTION SPECIALIST/TRAINING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 25, 2015
I worked as implementation specialist with %100 travel across the US and overseas. The job in implementation was AWESOME enjoyed every moment. I then transferred to Facility training specialist, that too was an outstanding position. There was nothing in this position I did not enjoy. One of the best aspects there were no really "typical day" installing hardware, software, and training there was always challenges you had to tackle, if there was an issue, the managers were always willing to step in or offer assistance. In facility training again no typical day. Yes there were frustrations, stressful situations, disagreements in ways to approach the problem but overall my experience there was eye opening, I learned a lot about myself and handling odd situations.
Pros
everything was great
Cons
sometimes trying to convince "students" with phds they needed to learn this system was difficult
Great office environment and co-workers.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, VADecember 14, 2013
Making travel arrangements, managing director and business unit mangers calendars, appointments. Helping deployed employees with payroll issues, issuance of laptops, cell phones and corporate credit cards. I processed expense reports and purchased office supplies using SAIC's purchasing software Ariba, processed purchased orders and checks to vendors. My co-workers were very helpful and just good folks to work with. The hardest part of my job was getting new employess into the SAIC system due to their lack of understanding and lack of relevant paperwork needed for the start of work. Most of my day was enjoyable, I liked my job.
Pros
we would have monthly luchneons for our division, to keep abreast of what we were accomplishing for the mission.
Cons
working at an small airport in the country of harrisonburg, va
Fulfilling a CAD Operator position
CAD Operator (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIJuly 22, 2013
For every client I worked under every project provided me with electrical designs from the engineers based upon customer requirements. This included detailed components such as turbine housing, control panels, security, one line and three line drawings, and more to finfish projects. At slow time when the engineers were slow with any work or very little I filled my time with arching older engineering drawings. I documented performance measurements to increase personal productivity. Sometimes I was asked to update older drawings. I tried to learn how some of the drawings worked. Updated part drawings, based upon engineering markups. I supported the group on diverse projects. Near the end I began working a personal project for tracking device by using Microsoft Excel for drawings to compare quality and speed. I wanted to see how good is I was doing.
I give SAIC a 90% rating but its spin-off somewhere around 65%
Sr. Cyber Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CA and Colorado Springs.August 12, 2015
SAIC is a very good company.

However it split into two companies about 3 yrs ago, the other being Leidos. As with spin-off during an economic downturn a great deal of pressure was put on producing /billable employees. Leidos went to ITIL services and that forced extra weekly time on employees to provide what used to be supplied by non-billable employees. That was a great extra burden. It appeared to many of us that we billable employees existed to make life easier for the non-billable regardless of how much unbillable time we had to put in to satisfy the service requirements.
Pros
really good but expensive benies. Really interesting but technically challenging.
Cons
Many services shifted to employees and some elements of poor managemt.
Very rewarding and enriching multi cultural enviroment.
Senior Engineering Technician (Project Lead) (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield,IndFebruary 3, 2015
There are not any typical days with SAIC which for me made them the best company to work for.We built prototype equipment for all branches of the military.I was able to travel worldwide and work with fantastic people.My co workers were some of the most dedicated people i have ever had the opportunity to work with,which was an easy task since all of our work was dedicated to the war fighters in all the world.The hardest part of my job was being limited to what i could accomplish due to truly not enough hours in a day.The most enjoyable part of my job was the knowledge that the equipment we were sending out would save someones life or multiple lives.
Pros
to be able to work with this company was a blessing.
Cons
not being able to do more.
Enjoyed the working with the people there and didn't mind the weather conditions.
Storage Area Operations Supervisor Kuwait (Former Employee) –  KuwaitFebruary 3, 2013
I enjoyed the work I was doing and the people I was working with at the ASP/TSA Kuwait. We issued, stored, received, inventoried and shipped munitions six, sometimes seven days a week. I worked along side of people from various countries. I welcomed the challenge of the diverse work force and extreme hot weather and sand storm conditions. The hardest part was leaving the team. There were some really good people working there. I resigned from the Storage Area Operations Supervisor position because of the hositle work environment create by my immediate supervisor. Though I express my concerns to management in writing on more then one occassion, nothing was done to address the issues. I had hoped that as professionals, we could have been able to work through these issues and concerns, however that was not the case.
Very good company to work for.
Senior Geospatial/Imagery Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 28, 2012
My first employment after retiring from Navy. I've learned a lot about contracts and government agencies. They have not provided any professional training. Management does seem to care about their personnel, though with the company moving from employee owned to a publicly traded company personnel priorities has declined.somewhat.
Never had issues with management or co-workers. Sometimes is hard to work with customers, I had to learn to adjust.
Only reason for leaving is the lack of continued interest in current position. I would like to move on or back into the intelligence community.
Pros
nice compensation.
Cons
so sick leave, no veterans day holiday (most employees are veterans), not treated as well as employees on east coast
Probably as Good as it Gets in Federal Contracting
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 9, 2012
Overall, I like the idea of SAIC as an employer. Management talks a great game. In reality, however, I find the difficulty in advancing or pursuing development opportunities to be highly disappointing. We are viewed as a "butts in seats" contractor by many of our customers and competitors, and I cannot say that is an inaccurate perspective. That said, I have looked at competitors and have chosen to stay at SAIC for 10+ years. In this economy, it's difficult to find another company that can make a move worthwhile.
Pros
realtively easy to move to different programs
Cons
when you work at a customer site, you will definitely understand the phrase "out of sight, out of mind." it's nearly impossible to gain recognition at corporate when you're in the field.
N/A
Imagery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hurlburt Field, FLJanuary 23, 2015
Monitored and exploited near-real time Full Motion Video (FMV) using DGS exploitation software to conduct initial phase analytical reporting and product development in support of Special Operation Forces (SOF) deployed around the world. Provided IMINT/SIGINT/All-Source fused intelligence data from multiple ISR platforms and National Technical Means (NTM). Responsible and accountable for all aspects of Processing Exploitation and Dissemination (PED) to include the following full-motion video exploitations techniques: time sensitive targeting, force protection, physical damage assessment, combat identification, combat search and rescue, intelligence preparation of the battle space, mapping, and situational monitoring. Performed Instructor Rated Operator (IRO) duties; trained assigned unit members in the duties and functions associated with multi-intelligence Processing Exploitation and Dissemination (PED) activities.
The place I liked working no longer exists.
Windows Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2012
Our entire IT department is being moved to Orlando, Florida. Some of the talented and fascinating people I have worked with have transferred there but many have left the company to avoid moving.

Sorry I can't give a better review, but I have loved working at this company a lot based on my co-workers and the fact that we had an executive infrastructure that cared about its employees, and that is now gone.

If you are an IT professional and would move to Florida or are looking at applying to work for a business unit that has not been gutted and moved, then you may still find a good working enviroment with many opportunities.
Pros
health care/benefits
Cons
the cio has no feel for the community of employees.
Wonderful learning experience
Help desk for high level security networks (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNDecember 7, 2015
A typical day at work includes Active Directory functions such as unlocking account and password resets, along with McAfee recovery, general browser troubleshooting, mapping network drives, software pushes and installs, software troubleshooting, ActiveX and ActivClient installs for Hybrid Token programming, email encryption and VMWare troubleshooting to name a few. Fast paced and demanding environment, knowledge filled and a great learning experience.
Hardest part of the job is learning the different software users use and the programs we use to help the customer on the go. Which is also a very good way to learn. The best past of the job is helping a customer resolve their problem and leaving them happy that you were able to fix the issue.
Pros
Fast paced learning
Cons
Time restraint to resolve customers issue