San Antonio Express-News

San Antonio Express-News Employer Reviews

job
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 20, 2014
deliver newspapers everyday to my customers. make sure they get their paper on time.
A socialble work enviornment with well-educated, driven people.
Staff Writer/Reporter (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 4, 2014
Great collaboration among staff writers. Management is understanding and provides guidance. Staff and management are well sourced and connected, which provides great insight into local news and promotes community engagement. Pay could be better. Overall newspaper industry has its struggles, which can affect morale.
na
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2014
i really love this joint integrity responsibility experience loyalty leadershihip respect
Community driven company
Multimedia Account Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 27, 2013
Pros: meeting great people.
Cons: decline of newspapers
The Internet has changed the newspaper industry tremendously. The Internet brings news faster to the consumer. Readers have more choices in how they get their news than ever before. It also impacts the workforce, resulting in layoffs and buyout agreements.

I am greatful for the 24 years spent learning and witnessing this evolution.
Long nights
Driver (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 17, 2013
Night job typically very fast paced and worked at my own pace. really relaxed job but the nights were long. My supervisor Winstead was AWESOME!!!
Favoritsm is rampant
Account Executive (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 20, 2013
Pros: free newspaper
Cons: everything else
You mostly receive calls on the land line from people looking to place ads, but you're also in charge of calling new businesses to advertise in special sections the newspaper puts on.

I learned how to be professional but relate to people in an authentic, genuine demeanor. It's a sales job, so there are aspects that are, quite honestly, dirty, but what – more... you want is for customers to get results from their ad.

Most enjoyable part of the job was there was a lot of free food around.

Worst part? Favoritism. There are a lot of long time workers here who never leave because they have no other marketable skills, and have sucked up to the upper mgmt to get where they are. Also, the newspaper is dying. Sales are low. Mgmt is out of touch and uses scare tactics on employees thinking it's going to help bolster revenue in the advertising department.

Constant changing of the pay scale to make the rich richer and the poor stay poor. – less
Work from sun up till sun down and had fun
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 28, 2013
Pros: paid weekly
Cons: n/a
Great place to work at, a typical day at work was spent loading bundled newspapers for delivery. I learned how to stay focused on the job at hand and the management was great, as well as, the co-workers. There wasn't really anything hard about the job and the most enjoyable was working together as a team.
Rewarding job
District Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: having good reliable people working for you.
Cons: not being able to give a contractor a well deserved raise because the budget just wouldn't allow it.
Overall i enjoyed working for the Express-News. My area of responsibility was Medina County. I had 3 drops in Medina County. One in Lytle one in Castroville and one in Hondo. I also had Pearsall, Dilley and Cotulla. A typical day meant getting up around midnight and since I lived very close to the Lytle drop I would start there. I would check in with – more... my contractors, discuss any service errors that needed their immediate attention then on to the next drop which was usually Castroville. I enjoyed working with independent contractors as opposed to employees. It was always a challange. Though I always tried to keep my routes at a fair paying wage I had to consider the companies position too. Most of the supervisors I had I got along well with. They were always there for me. My co-workers were a great crew to work with. Most of the time we took care of our own districts but there were times when we had to help each other out. When you find out that one of your contractors didn't show up and you got no phone call or anything it meant one thing. Go and deliver that route yourself and begin interviewing prospects to find a new contractor. That was probably the hardest part of the job but you do learn alot about people when things like that happen. The most enjoyable part of the job I think is when you know your contractors are happy with their route and they enjoy coming to work each day. – less
A shrinking Industry
Lead Business Systems Computer Operator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 5, 2012
Pros: centrally located downtown, friendly employees
Cons: no raises, no advancement opportunities
The Express-News is filled with friendly people and good management, the only thing that is starting to falter is employee morale. The company is a good place to start off, but you can only go so far, as advancement opportunities are rare, and raises are extinct. I learned much at my time here, skills like department management, training others, creating – more... & preparing training materials, & resource management. The company has a good tuition reimbursement plan with a local private university, which I took advantage of once I made department Lead. My manager is the best, and I count him as one of my friends. He has encouraged me to go out and seek a better career, as he knows what the situation is like at work. The most enjoyment I have is when I am given difficult tasks to complete, and must learn/research how to completed the tasks. Such tasks are also the hardest part of my position, as I have mastered the skills necessary to complete any other tasks during the first or second shift. – less
Sales (Current Employee), San Antonio, TexasAugust 21, 2012
Pros: work as many hours
Cons: outside in the heat
Selling newspaper everyday for about 7 hrs. The hardest part of the job is selling the newspaper.
Hot warehouse and difficult routes
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2012
This job is a night owls job. The hardest part is that this job is 7 nights a week.
a very demanding,hardworking,and easy place to work
Sales (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 24, 2012
Pros: the income
Cons: the working conditions
we would traveling in the van as usual and would be talking about what were gonna do today and were gonna sell ourselves to the coustomer in order to get he to buy our product and sometimes the woukld be an ocasunaly motivantioal speech to helps us with the job. we learned how to talk with the coustomer to see our point of view and why they should buy – more... our poduct and what they would benifit from buying it.also the would helping us out as well because for ever sale we made we would earn $10.00 dollars and if we sol so many people we would earn a scholarship for school. the boss was rough on the edges but fair when to working for him.my co-workers were easy going people that were fun and ok to get along with. the hardest part of the job was selling the product to the people and closing the sale. the enjoying part was the money we earned while i was working there. – less
Due to the economy company was force to massive lay-offs
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 21, 2012
Pros: clinic and gym on site
Great place to work at. Change of upper management reflecting in massive lay-offs.