San Antonio Express-News Employee Reviews

The job was easy and fast paced but not for the amount of money paid
trasportation (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2017
I started working with them and I enjoyed the work but after 3 years no pay increase and was being bullied into taking my vacation when i did not want to.
Pay is below minimum wage
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Leon Valley, TXSeptember 17, 2017
I worked one whole month spending 70 dollars or more weekly in gas and in return got compensation of 125 dollars only for o whole month of work. I think that people being abused should speak up about this unethical behavior portrayed by this organization. At first your load is ok and after the first week they assign more newspapers which in the end it doesn't add up
Pros
Cons
Every aspect of the job
easy work without the 8 hours shift
Newspaper Courier (Former Employee) –  san anaonio txSeptember 3, 2017
a typical day is being there at 2:45 a.m. waiting on the trucks to bring newspapers to role. the papers get rolled on a table for each worker. after roling the paper are then put in by e in my car to go an throw every single day.
Pros
only worked 4 hours a day
Cons
working 7 days a week
I loved working there!!!
Retail Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2017
I loved working there! It was always go time. Making sure ads were ready to print, ads were paid for, sections were diagramed; fun times. Even though it was busy we also had fun! We had chili cook offs and parties. I hated getting laid off !
Pros
location, advertisers
Cons
the paper is dying
Pay freezes for 9 years
Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2017
Would not recommend at all. Pay raises for last 9 years. Management hardly knows any advanced excel when they are supposedly 'analysts' and everyone is 50+ and stuck in their ways. You will not advance as people that leave will not be hired for. Everyone is worried about losing their job every day too.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Have to pay for parking, bosses, low pay, poor benefits
Productive work environment
Graphic Designer / Production (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 20, 2017
I was in charge of the automotive section, where I produced layout design, and production of that section. Other duties included layout, design, and production of direct mail pieces.
Pros
Productive, and freedom to create ads with my stile.
Cons
Stressful at times.
non climate contol storage shed
Carrier Driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 10, 2017
HOT\COLD depending on the time of year. learned customer service, having to contact complaining customers or needing to locate new addresses. I have had my past district mangers manage different situations such as having new carriers sign contracts or distribute papers to carriers. waking up 7 days a week is the hardest part of this job, and having my afternoons free
Pros
having most afternoons free
Cons
getting up at approx, 12;30am 7 days a week
Fun place to work during the time I was there.
Features Designer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 6, 2017
Fast-paced newsroom where everyone helped out. Most enjoyable part of the job was producing a well-regarded newspaper in the region. The hardest part of the job was gaining the confidence of management, which shouldn't have been as hard as it was considering my experience.
Pros
Great relationships between co-workers. Opportunity to be creative.
Cons
Managements lack of confidence in some staff.
High demand on time and no compensation for work.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 27, 2017
Management is all about achieving goals no matter how long you have to be at work and no compensation given. Hours are very late, usually Midnight to noon.
Hard working place
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2017
Learned how newspapers were printed and distributed. I got to know how the coupons and advertisements were placed in newspaper bundles. There was a very interesting way of loading and unloading trucks that made the experience more enjoyable
Great Place to Learn, Bad Place to Grow
Digital Strategist, Major Accounts & Agencies (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 17, 2017
I was a Digital Specialist, basically managing digital account.

The workload was unmanageable, handling over 100 account sometimes. The management was horrible. They were so rigid and unwilling to help. Their idea of help was adding more people to mix or making you look really stupid.

Majority of the time your "goals" were unrealistic and unattainable, so making extra money was a long shot.

The sales people are old and unwilling to change or even let you help them.

The best part of that company was the ad operations team. They were so good and so willing to help you get things done.

I learned a lot because of the fast-paced and cut throat environment, but overall I went home crying because of how stressed I was daily. They always tried to say we're a "team" but really I felt so alone in a pile of work. I worked there for 3 years and haven't had any desire to go back.
Pros
Many learning opportunities
Cons
High stress, high work load, have to pay for parking too ($60 per mo)
Good work environment with lots of flexibility
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 13, 2017
My supervisors had my back. I liked my colleagues and established some close relationships. After surviving a couple rounds of layoffs, I ended up leaving after my husband got a new job in a new city. I miss the work and the friendships I developed. Although the newspaper industry has suffered some setbacks and isn't as stable as it once was, I would return to the Express-News if I could. Good place to work.
Pros
They celebrate Fiesta in style; lots of free paletas and cake, they appreciate loyalty
Cons
More work, smaller staff
Good, supportive co-workers devoted to news.
Copy Editor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 8, 2017
It's been a long while since I've worked there and the newspaper business has seen many changes, but the SAEN was a fun place to work, laid-back and filled with friendly people.
Good
Laborer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 22, 2017
the pay wasn't too bad but to get everything done with the little strict time we had and to make sure they didn't get stolen or gave us to much papers..
Pros
Ok pay
Cons
little time to deliver
San Antonio Express News
Telecommunications Technician/Specialist Support (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasDecember 30, 2016
I maintained 2 large PBX phone systems in two buildings of the Newspaper, along with troubleshooting, servicing, repairing and installing all the equipment from the Main Nortel 8E system to around 800 Desktop users and 2 fairly large ACD ( Call Centers) group. I also acted as consultant and reviewed and updated all software and hardware and was Nortel System Administrator. I also maintained all documentation and audited all billing with attention to any abnormalities. SAEN (Owned by Hearst Corporation) was a fabulous company to work for.. It was like working with all your friends and family. As a woman in a man's field I was ready for the proving myself but was accepted immediately by all. My challenges were the organization of the department since I was the first actually Telecom Specialist they had. They were able to discontinue their very expensive Maintenance/Repair cost with Southwestern Bell when I walked in the door. Once organized there was lots of savings to the company. The best part of the job was all the employee attention and recognition from the Hearst Corporation. Outings for everyone to Six Flags over Texas(family members welcomed) Day off for the whole company for the Fiesta Parade that passed the buildings Chili Cooking Contest and more. Hated to leave that job but family pulled me away and back to my hometown in Corpus Christi, Texas. Was offered a retention bonus from CIO upon upper management notification. Due to my family needing me I could not except and they understood.
Pros
Complete freedom to investigate and take charge of telephony, first non-salary job in my life.. 9x5 with oncall was a dream!
Cons
Can't really think of ANY con's! Loved my Job.
Great Connections
Editorial Assistant/ Obituary reporter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 14, 2016
You meet a lot of locals in the San Antonio community and it is worth it to have a internship there. Loved every minute of it.
District Manager
District Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2016
Daily planning of operations
Focus on daily goals
Supervise 30 delivery household carriers
Develop strategies for acquiring new customers
Daily reports - operations and sales
This building was dirty, dingy and disorganized.
Maintenance/warehouse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2016
Working here and not being able to work to my full potential was extremely discouraging. There was no means of advancements, not able to explore other possibilities and positions were very limited. I wouldn't recommend any one to work for this company unless you are a writer or reporter especially if you want to explore other advancements.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
all of the above
Poor infrasturcutre for creativity and advancement
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
A typical day is trying to balance a work load that has driven everyone else in my position to leave. I have never had any one of my ideas listened to only manipulated or pushed aside for an alternative that returned very little income or desired measurable.
Busy
Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2015
You must be able & willing to adapt to change with the Express-News. It is a good company to work for. They are a fast changing company.