San Antonio Express-News Employee Reviews

San Antonio Express News
Telecommunications Technician/Specialist Support (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasDecember 30, 2016
I maintained 2 large PBX phone systems in two buildings of the Newspaper, along with troubleshooting, servicing, repairing and installing all the equipment from the Main Nortel 8E system to around 800 Desktop users and 2 fairly large ACD ( Call Centers) group. I also acted as consultant and reviewed and updated all software and hardware and was Nortel System Administrator. I also maintained all documentation and audited all billing with attention to any abnormalities. SAEN (Owned by Hearst Corporation) was a fabulous company to work for.. It was like working with all your friends and family. As a woman in a man's field I was ready for the proving myself but was accepted immediately by all. My challenges were the organization of the department since I was the first actually Telecom Specialist they had. They were able to discontinue their very expensive Maintenance/Repair cost with Southwestern Bell when I walked in the door. Once organized there was lots of savings to the company. The best part of the job was all the employee attention and recognition from the Hearst Corporation. Outings for everyone to Six Flags over Texas(family members welcomed) Day off for the whole company for the Fiesta Parade that passed the buildings Chili Cooking Contest and more. Hated to leave that job but family pulled me away and back to my hometown in Corpus Christi, Texas. Was offered a retention bonus from CIO upon upper management notification. Due to my family needing me I could not except and they understood.
Pros
Complete freedom to investigate and take charge of telephony, first non-salary job in my life.. 9x5 with oncall was a dream!
Cons
Can't really think of ANY con's! Loved my Job.
District Manager
District Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2016
Daily planning of operations
Focus on daily goals
Supervise 30 delivery household carriers
Develop strategies for acquiring new customers
Daily reports - operations and sales
This building was dirty, dingy and disorganized.
Maintenance/warehouse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 26, 2016
Working here and not being able to work to my full potential was extremely discouraging. There was no means of advancements, not able to explore other possibilities and positions were very limited. I wouldn't recommend any one to work for this company unless you are a writer or reporter especially if you want to explore other advancements.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
all of the above
Poor infrasturcutre for creativity and advancement
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
A typical day is trying to balance a work load that has driven everyone else in my position to leave. I have never had any one of my ideas listened to only manipulated or pushed aside for an alternative that returned very little income or desired measurable.
Busy
Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 14, 2015
You must be able & willing to adapt to change with the Express-News. It is a good company to work for. They are a fast changing company.
tough hours but very independent work
Product Manager/Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 26, 2015
typical days consists of very late night starts and can often go on til the early morning. Lots of driving is involved as many of the customers live in several neighborhoods which you will cover on the route. Learned a lot about the area and where to find certain locations.
Interesting Social Aspect, Good Community Exposure
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 3, 2014
Day at work: Heavy people contact, heavy telephone traffice, correspondence, appointment management.

Learned to manage time better, better social skills

Management was fair; influenced by long-time employees

Co-Workers were pleasant (3-4 women, 2 men in my immediate area); overall company employees were great.

Most difficult part of the job was being responsible for the telephone while managing a heavy workload and fairly heavy appointment traffic in my office.

Probably the most enjoyable part of the job was being treated by management to some of the top private dining in San Antonio and receiving free Spurs tickets.
Pros
Many free meals, dined at private clubs in San Antonio
Cons
Irregular lunch hours, skimpy holiday schedule
Great People and great company.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 20, 2014
Beginning at 1am I printed routed cards, mail and gave them to the carriers to deliver their route, occasionally had to run down routes and ran complaints (re-deliveries) of missed papers. Ran craigs list ads to find and hire new carriers, once found would train and contract them. Learned how to lead in a team oriented environment, how to motivate instead of criticize. Went through two sets of management, both were great and fun to work with. Co-workers were all go getters who made my job much easier, always willing to help out with your district in emergencies. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the turn over rate of carriers, no sooner than you had all of your routes filled than several more would come open for one reason or the other. The most enjoyable part of the job, other than the great pay and benefits, was to see the deadline of delivery reached and you only have two or three errors out of over three thousand tries, wonderful feeling of accomplishment and a job well done.
Pros
Great pay, benefits and understanding and helpful management.
Cons
The hours and the unreliability of carriers.
job
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 20, 2014
deliver newspapers everyday to my customers. make sure they get their paper on time.
A socialble work enviornment with well-educated, driven people.
Staff Writer/Reporter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 4, 2014
Great collaboration among staff writers. Management is understanding and provides guidance. Staff and management are well sourced and connected, which provides great insight into local news and promotes community engagement. Pay could be better. Overall newspaper industry has its struggles, which can affect morale.
na
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 31, 2014
i really love this joint integrity responsibility experience loyalty leadershihip respect
Community driven company
Multimedia Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 27, 2013
The Internet has changed the newspaper industry tremendously. The Internet brings news faster to the consumer. Readers have more choices in how they get their news than ever before. It also impacts the workforce, resulting in layoffs and buyout agreements.

I am greatful for the 24 years spent learning and witnessing this evolution.
Pros
Meeting great people.
Cons
Decline of newspapers
Long nights
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 17, 2013
Night job typically very fast paced and worked at my own pace. really relaxed job but the nights were long. My supervisor Winstead was AWESOME!!!
Favoritsm is rampant
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 20, 2013
You mostly receive calls on the land line from people looking to place ads, but you're also in charge of calling new businesses to advertise in special sections the newspaper puts on.

I learned how to be professional but relate to people in an authentic, genuine demeanor. It's a sales job, so there are aspects that are, quite honestly, dirty, but what you want is for customers to get results from their ad.

Most enjoyable part of the job was there was a lot of free food around.

Worst part? Favoritism. There are a lot of long time workers here who never leave because they have no other marketable skills, and have sucked up to the upper mgmt to get where they are. Also, the newspaper is dying. Sales are low. Mgmt is out of touch and uses scare tactics on employees thinking it's going to help bolster revenue in the advertising department.

Constant changing of the pay scale to make the rich richer and the poor stay poor.
Pros
Free newspaper
Cons
Everything else
Work from sun up till sun down and had fun
Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 28, 2013
Great place to work at, a typical day at work was spent loading bundled newspapers for delivery. I learned how to stay focused on the job at hand and the management was great, as well as, the co-workers. There wasn't really anything hard about the job and the most enjoyable was working together as a team.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
N/A
Rewarding job
District Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 7, 2013
Overall i enjoyed working for the Express-News. My area of responsibility was Medina County. I had 3 drops in Medina County. One in Lytle one in Castroville and one in Hondo. I also had Pearsall, Dilley and Cotulla. A typical day meant getting up around midnight and since I lived very close to the Lytle drop I would start there. I would check in with my contractors, discuss any service errors that needed their immediate attention then on to the next drop which was usually Castroville. I enjoyed working with independent contractors as opposed to employees. It was always a challange. Though I always tried to keep my routes at a fair paying wage I had to consider the companies position too. Most of the supervisors I had I got along well with. They were always there for me. My co-workers were a great crew to work with. Most of the time we took care of our own districts but there were times when we had to help each other out. When you find out that one of your contractors didn't show up and you got no phone call or anything it meant one thing. Go and deliver that route yourself and begin interviewing prospects to find a new contractor. That was probably the hardest part of the job but you do learn alot about people when things like that happen. The most enjoyable part of the job I think is when you know your contractors are happy with their route and they enjoy coming to work each day.
Pros
having good reliable people working for you.
Cons
not being able to give a contractor a well deserved raise because the budget just wouldn't allow it.
A shrinking Industry
Lead Business Systems Computer Operator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 5, 2012
The Express-News is filled with friendly people and good management, the only thing that is starting to falter is employee morale. The company is a good place to start off, but you can only go so far, as advancement opportunities are rare, and raises are extinct. I learned much at my time here, skills like department management, training others, creating & preparing training materials, & resource management. The company has a good tuition reimbursement plan with a local private university, which I took advantage of once I made department Lead. My manager is the best, and I count him as one of my friends. He has encouraged me to go out and seek a better career, as he knows what the situation is like at work. The most enjoyment I have is when I am given difficult tasks to complete, and must learn/research how to completed the tasks. Such tasks are also the hardest part of my position, as I have mastered the skills necessary to complete any other tasks during the first or second shift.
Pros
centrally located downtown, friendly employees
Cons
no raises, no advancement opportunities
Sales (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasAugust 21, 2012
Selling newspaper everyday for about 7 hrs. The hardest part of the job is selling the newspaper.
Pros
work as many hours
Cons
outside in the heat
Hot warehouse and difficult routes
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2012
This job is a night owls job. The hardest part is that this job is 7 nights a week.
a very demanding,hardworking,and easy place to work
Sales (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 24, 2012
we would traveling in the van as usual and would be talking about what were gonna do today and were gonna sell ourselves to the coustomer in order to get he to buy our product and sometimes the woukld be an ocasunaly motivantioal speech to helps us with the job. we learned how to talk with the coustomer to see our point of view and why they should buy our poduct and what they would benifit from buying it.also the would helping us out as well because for ever sale we made we would earn $10.00 dollars and if we sol so many people we would earn a scholarship for school. the boss was rough on the edges but fair when to working for him.my co-workers were easy going people that were fun and ok to get along with. the hardest part of the job was selling the product to the people and closing the sale. the enjoying part was the money we earned while i was working there.
Pros
the income
Cons
the working conditions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Antonio Express-News. Our community is ready to answer.

San Antonio Express-News Reviews by Location