SAN ANTONIO HOUSING AUTHORITY

SAN ANTONIO HOUSING AUTHORITY Employee Reviews

Good Environment, Great Opportunities, Less Than Mediocre Fullfillment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio TxMay 21, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Horrible Processes, Revolving Door
Temp to hire possibility is a slim shot. The company has great opportunities but the HR department does not do a good job at fulfilling opportunity with availability, the process seems tedious and tiresome for the hiring party and the candidate. Great place to expand your horizons and connect to some great people.
Service to the community is my passion
Temp Assignment (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 30, 2015
Pros: Connecting with agencies and people with the same passion
Cons: compensation is slow and based on funding
Great agency and great opportunity! I have loved the freedom to service as I see fit and connect with many players in the community. The churches was the hardest people to encourage to service those in need.
a porter is just another word for maintenance Man Helper
Porter (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 22, 2015
The Porter position i had was great.I loved helping other people and getting a chance to know the customer...Making sure they are satisfied was our main concern,,,,I believe being a porter is a great job
Mental breakdown
Housing Assistance Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2015
Pros: co-workers are the best and the senior housing assistance are super helpful
Cons: overturns
From day one, management tell the untruth, while management team are incompetent, deceitful and with their behavior it brings the employee morale down. All employees seem stressed, upset and unhappy everyday, consistent overturn and according to management he stated "he like overturns because it gives him a chance to meet new people with new ideas." When there is overturns there is more work and demand on the entire staff.
Overall an interesting place to work
Porter (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: meet many great people and make life long friends
Cons: many residents do not like authority
Every work day starts working from the outside in, making look presentable to all who come and go, looking for the big/small projects along the way.
It is a good place to work but you have to be open to changes all the time.
Community Manager (Former Employee), San Antonio Housing AuthorityDecember 19, 2014
Pros: benefits are great!
Cons: stressful but compensated.
I would still be with the Housing Authority had I not moved out of town. I am back in San Antonio now and will try to get back hired with the company as the compensation package is very good for the employees.
Challenging, rewarding, and team accomplishment...
Assistant Director, Public Housing (Former Employee), San Antonio, TexasSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: helping people
Cons: not enough time in the day to solve it all...
My typical day may start with a meeting called by my director. I receive a phone call that there’s been a water line break and the street will need to be blocked off while we wait for the city to turn off the main water supply line to determine who has responsibility (city or agency) . My manager starts informing residents that are affected while the maintenance supervisor has a team out taking the necessary safety precautions and placing baracades. The supervisor has made contact with contracting a placed a vendor on alert. Another meeting is about to commence concerning the budgets and capital programming. My administrative assistant already has the reports I need to address the attendees of the meeting, she’s great. I’m informed the water line belongs to the agency and my team gets to work removing debrie so the vendor can repair the ruptured pipe. The information is channeled to my director. It’s about 10 AM and a resident is upset about their rent and wants to see me. I also have a situation going on with a staff member that was just involved in a motor vehivle accident, their not hurt, however, they will need to be drug tested. I sit with the resident and before long two other residents are complaining that no one fix their water heater and they have been without hot water for 48 hours. A call is made to the maintenance supervisor to send some one to units (we discuss how this happened later). I’m asked to attend an unscheduled meeting with contractors that have not been paid in the last three months. I ask for a few occupancy reports and find that to of the projects still – more... have not achieved 98% occupancy. I ask for a meeting with them for some coaching and mentoring. The day is ending, or so I thought, 5:13 PM the elevator is down at one of the senior citizen high rise buildings and the vendor will not be out for a hour. I have staff call the fire department to have thee doors open and the elderly resident removed. The most enjoyable part of the day is know I have a great team whioch helps meet the needs of the people. – less
Secure place to work
HQS Inspector (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 13, 2014
While working for San Antonio Housing Authority you can get education, get insurance and matched 401K. You meet good people and you feel great helping those you need help.
A productive company that help people with low income
Temporary Client Service Representative I (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2014
Cons: healthcare and retirement benefits were awesome
My typical day would start at 8:30am sharp. I started off at the mission park apartments. I would answer phones, take work orders and explained to the tenants they had to come in and place work order, walked property, passed out delinquent rent notice fees. I also worked for Alazan-Apache Courts where I would make repayment agreements with the tenants who had over $2000.00 rental fee balance, I would also recertify them and they would be approved for another year of low income housing. We walked units to make sure that the housekeeping was up kept. The hardest part was not having a manager on property. Who do you go to for answers and lease violation questions. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people. Trying to get the community together to fight against crime and helping them to further succeed in life.
SAHA
Senior Housing Assistance Specialist (Current Employee), San Antonio TXJuly 26, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
I love working at SAHA and being able to be apart of a team that helps provide housing assistance to those who need it the most. I work with the most incredibly hardworking people who are passionate of their work.
Political Nightmare
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2014
Pros: pension
Cons: everything else, especially hr
You will never move up here unless you're friends with the right people.

Half of the office staff is illiterate. Faxes and e-mails read as if written by first graders!

People who work in Section 8 and Public Housing are very jaded and believe everyone is lying and trying to scam the government.

There is no professionalism or sense of propriety at all. There are scandals daily, including employees who work on property caught sexually assaulting children and it's all swept under the rug.
A Typical Day at Work
Compliance Analyst (Current Employee), San Antonio, TX 78204June 3, 2014
I review different reports that will empact monies going out to landlords or tenants. Review files to make sure the case workers are processing files according to HUD regulations.
Housing Assistance Specialist I (Current Employee), San Antonio,TXMay 7, 2014
Pros: health benefits are awesome
Cons: work load
Unfortunately, there is no room for Growth within the agency.
Productive, and learn to work in an diverse environment, enjoy the ability to cross-train, and multi-task.
Porter (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 17, 2013
Pros: holiday gatherings
Cons: no cons
Everyday was always a challenge, but enjoy learning while working.
I learned how to be team oriented, how to treat customers as I would have wanted to be treated, enjoyed the seminars, enjoyed the annual recognition programs(s).
Hardest part of my job, was to be directed by more than one supervisor, and not being able to complete task, or not being able to, cooperate when the communication among management, and supervisors is poor.
I really enjoyed doing maintenance, and team work, with co-workers.
Confusion
DSNR (Current Employee), OfficeAugust 18, 2013
Pros: staff tries their best to get their work done in spite of the poor leadership.
Cons: low morale
Executives profess a positive culture but act contrary to what they profess. This is reflected in the way they treat staff and when they profess concern for the residents but sometimes act in their own (Exec's) best interest at the expense of the residents. Staff morale is "in the basement". Executive decision making reflects a lack of experience in: real estate, business, property management, facilities, construction, people management, etc. Personal favoritism rather than most qualified seems to be the way appointments are made. Executive do not have an "open door" policy that would provide for positive feedback from the staff in the field. The Executives seem to make decisions in their own little vacuum. If you don't agree, you are tagged with "not being on the bus". Don't you hate that expression! SAHA's staff is the saving grace; for the most part a good group of people. The "old timers" hold their own and do their job but have given up trying to make suggestions to improve their areas. They feel that suggestions fall on deaf ears. Continuity of mid-level management is also a big problem. People are moved around too frequently or quit. As soon as their staff become a team or they get familiar with a property they leave. Other than that it's a good place to work :)
To much work and not enough money
Education Investment Foundation Coordinator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 9, 2013
To much work and not enough money. I work 50 to 60 hours a work just to get my work done.
Housing Assistant Specialist (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 6, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: consistent turn overs
Plenty of work, consistent turn over, processing files for Moves and inplace, accurate calculations on income, providing tenant with customer service.
Fast pace and Productive environment
Senior Housing Assistance Specialist (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2013
Pros: great benefits, tuition reimbursement and pension
Cons: federally funded, not much room for advancement.
Staff under paid for multiple jobs assigned. Federally funded program which does not leave much room for advancement. This is a fast pace environment all day everyday, which I enjoy. My co-workers are all great as well as my staff. There has been so much that I have learned from this organization, which has placed me in my position today. I enjoy helping clients and my staff with any concerns and or questions. I enjoy training employees or outside clients about our program.
Housing Assistant Specialist I (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 11, 2013
the company is not organize, and very unprofessional executive staff
Productive workplace
Housing Assistance Specialist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 19, 2013
This company gave me the opportunity to grow professionally in the Human Resources Department and continued in the mailroom and did cross training at a SAHA facility.

SAN ANTONIO HOUSING AUTHORITY Salaries