SAN ANTONIO HOUSING AUTHORITY Employee Reviews in United States

Development Department
Employee (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 23, 2016
The Development Department (new construction) is a great place to work. There are weekly meetings with input from all the staff. Management allows flexibility in work schedule when the need arises. The retirement package is wonderful.

They pay for training and seminars. This is great for career development.
Pros
Retirement, Opportunity to learn new skills.
Cons
Lack of job openings
Great Benefits
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 9, 2015
I have a heart for people, I am very compassionate, caring and for the most part I believe in team building and teamwork. Setting goals for the community and for staff .Management is at times a very challenging, but never have I not reached a set goal in the 5 years I have been in public housing.
Pros
I love people, this is a place to work if that is where your heart is.
Cons
Leadership
enjoyable job to have to get to watch all type of animals
Provider (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 18, 2015
i worked at the penguin exhibit ,was amazing to see the kids imprecation when they get to meet the penguins, as a cashier i got to wrap gifts and meet people from all over around the world ,i was so happy to use use my second languages (Arabic )to help customer with their question
.in the beginning was default for me to handle the register because it was my first job but im glad to have an amazing staff that they helped me and showed me how work things out at the exhibit .
I love property management
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 1, 2015
I have a heart for people, I am very compassionate, caring and for the most part I believe in team building and team work. Setting goals for the communities I manage is at times a challenge, but never have I not reached a set goal.
Pros
SAHA has great benifits
Cons
Leadership is not what I desire within SAHA
administrative assistant
administrative assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 18, 2015
I would typically answer phones about any available apartment we have and/or about to have. I would fax, scan, and copy forms needed in lease agreements. preforming walk threw/ inspections on apartment, as well as renewing leases.
Pros
great working experance
Cons
part-time
Fast pace and Productive environment
Senior Housing Assistance Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2013
Staff under paid for multiple jobs assigned. Federally funded program which does not leave much room for advancement. This is a fast pace environment all day everyday, which I enjoy. My co-workers are all great as well as my staff. There has been so much that I have learned from this organization, which has placed me in my position today. I enjoy helping clients and my staff with any concerns and or questions. I enjoy training employees or outside clients about our program.
Pros
great benefits, tuition reimbursement and pension
Cons
federally funded, not much room for advancement.
Mental breakdown
Housing Assistance Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 3, 2015
From day one, management tell the untruth, while management team are incompetent, deceitful and with their behavior it brings the employee morale down. All employees seem stressed, upset and unhappy everyday, consistent overturn and according to management he stated "he like overturns because it gives him a chance to meet new people with new ideas." When there is overturns there is more work and demand on the entire staff.
Pros
co-workers are the best and the senior housing assistance are super helpful
Cons
overturns
Service to the community is my passion
Temp Assignment (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 30, 2015
Great agency and great opportunity! I have loved the freedom to service as I see fit and connect with many players in the community. The churches was the hardest people to encourage to service those in need.
Pros
Connecting with agencies and people with the same passion
Cons
compensation is slow and based on funding
Being able to assit families and individuals in finding them a place they could call home was very rewarding.
Apartment Building and Housing Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 4, 2015
Meeting people and helping them meet their needs, sometimes in difficult situations, was a good feeling knowing that not only did they received a quality home, but peace of mind that they were going to be taken care of in the future.
Confusion
DSNR (Current Employee) –  OfficeAugust 18, 2013
Executives profess a positive culture but act contrary to what they profess. This is reflected in the way they treat staff and when they profess concern for the residents but sometimes act in their own (Exec's) best interest at the expense of the residents. Staff morale is "in the basement". Executive decision making reflects a lack of experience in: real estate, business, property management, facilities, construction, people management, etc. Personal favoritism rather than most qualified seems to be the way appointments are made. Executive do not have an "open door" policy that would provide for positive feedback from the staff in the field. The Executives seem to make decisions in their own little vacuum. If you don't agree, you are tagged with "not being on the bus". Don't you hate that expression! SAHA's staff is the saving grace; for the most part a good group of people. The "old timers" hold their own and do their job but have given up trying to make suggestions to improve their areas. They feel that suggestions fall on deaf ears. Continuity of mid-level management is also a big problem. People are moved around too frequently or quit. As soon as their staff become a team or they get familiar with a property they leave. Other than that it's a good place to work :)
Pros
staff tries their best to get their work done in spite of the poor leadership.
Cons
low morale
A productive company that help people with low income
Temporary Client Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2014
My typical day would start at 8:30am sharp. I started off at the mission park apartments. I would answer phones, take work orders and explained to the tenants they had to come in and place work order, walked property, passed out delinquent rent notice fees. I also worked for Alazan-Apache Courts where I would make repayment agreements with the tenants who had over $2000.00 rental fee balance, I would also recertify them and they would be approved for another year of low income housing. We walked units to make sure that the housekeeping was up kept. The hardest part was not having a manager on property. Who do you go to for answers and lease violation questions. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people. Trying to get the community together to fight against crime and helping them to further succeed in life.
Cons
healthcare and retirement benefits were awesome
Productive, and learn to work in an diverse environment, enjoy the ability to cross-train, and multi-task.
Porter (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 17, 2013
Everyday was always a challenge, but enjoy learning while working.
I learned how to be team oriented, how to treat customers as I would have wanted to be treated, enjoyed the seminars, enjoyed the annual recognition programs(s).
Hardest part of my job, was to be directed by more than one supervisor, and not being able to complete task, or not being able to, cooperate when the communication among management, and supervisors is poor.
I really enjoyed doing maintenance, and team work, with co-workers.
Pros
holiday gatherings
Cons
no cons
Good Environment, Great Opportunities, Less Than Mediocre Fullfillment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TxMay 21, 2015
Temp to hire possibility is a slim shot. The company has great opportunities but the HR department does not do a good job at fulfilling opportunity with availability, the process seems tedious and tiresome for the hiring party and the candidate. Great place to expand your horizons and connect to some great people.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Horrible Processes, Revolving Door
SAHA is a very interesting place to work everyday is a difference, working with the public one never knows what going to happen.
Complaince Specialits (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 2, 2012
See client review there paperwork.
What I learned was that every family has their story and one learns everyday.
Management is good and understanding with the employees.
Co-worker we all tried to work together as a team.
The hardest part there's none, only the change of management constantly.
Going to work and the camaraderie in the co-worker.
It is a good place to work but you have to be open to changes all the time.
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio Housing AuthorityDecember 19, 2014
I would still be with the Housing Authority had I not moved out of town. I am back in San Antonio now and will try to get back hired with the company as the compensation package is very good for the employees.
Pros
benefits are great!
Cons
stressful but compensated.
IT department maintains large LAN and city wide WAN
Telecommunications Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 17, 2015
The Department has undergone a complete network overhaul during my tenure. From 10mgb LAN mainframe data network and analog telephone systems to state of the art systems and city wide VOIP system.
Pros
Excellent retirement plan and matching funds
Saha
Senior Housing Assistance Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio TXJuly 26, 2014
I love working at SAHA and being able to be apart of a team that helps provide housing assistance to those who need it the most. I work with the most incredibly hardworking people who are passionate of their work.
Pros
excellent benefits
Political Nightmare
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2014
You will never move up here unless you're friends with the right people.

Half of the office staff is illiterate. Faxes and e-mails read as if written by first graders!

People who work in Section 8 and Public Housing are very jaded and believe everyone is lying and trying to scam the government.

There is no professionalism or sense of propriety at all. There are scandals daily, including employees who work on property caught sexually assaulting children and it's all swept under the rug.
Pros
pension
Cons
everything else, especially hr
Secure place to work
HQS Inspector (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 13, 2014
While working for San Antonio Housing Authority you can get education, get insurance and matched 401K. You meet good people and you feel great helping those you need help.
Overall an interesting place to work
Porter (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Every work day starts working from the outside in, making look presentable to all who come and go, looking for the big/small projects along the way.
Pros
meet many great people and make life long friends
Cons
many residents do not like authority

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAN ANTONIO HOUSING AUTHORITY. Our community is ready to answer.

SAN ANTONIO HOUSING AUTHORITY Reviews by Location