San Antonio ISD Employee Reviews in United States

Teaching and Mentoring children about living healthy lives
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 28, 2016
My daily routine at work is filled with constant multi-tasking. I have guidelines to follow, but how I present what I teach is independently created by myself. I have co-worker that I co-teach with and we work very well together. The hardest part about my job is not being to do everything that I can for my students. There are many times that I wish I could do more to help them, but time and money constrictions limit this.
SAISD is a great place to work for
Data Clerk IV (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2016
SAISD has a variety of positions and has alot to offer. They have great benefits and they have an awesome retirement plan.
Favoritism
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 28, 2015
Only some teachers performed the extra duties like monitoring the students before school and at breakfast. At times, there was no staff member around. I enjoyed working with my team and my students were unique. I asked for the slow achieving, problem students and after the first six weeks the majority were doing all of their work. Soon, my students were surpassing the rest of their classmates in grades and behavior.
Pros
Enthusiastic students
Cons
Administrators who played favorites
A great school district that actually supports the fine arts!
Jefferson High School Technical Theatre Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 12, 2015
There is so much tradition and pride at my high school that, even though I've only been working there three years, I feel like I've worked there since I started teaching 15 + years ago.

The administration is kind and respectful and my co workers are helpful and supportive as well!
Great experience; challenging and enjoyable
Educational Diagnostician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 13, 2014
I began my work day an hour early each day to get a jump on the massive work load. It has been a very enjoyable career and I am ready for a new career. Vast experiences as an educational diagnostician should enhance my new career.
Pros
the people i worked with: principals, teachers, students, and parents.
Cons
i worked long hard hours yet the in box was always full.
Not for everybody
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 21, 2014
Just not the right amount of hours. Bosses are hard. Employee turn over is Bad.
Teaching young children and watching them grow academically was always rewarding.
Former Educator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 14, 2014
A typical day at work began with breakfast in the classroom followed by our first story read aloud. when students wanted to answer ask or simply make comments they raised their hands and wait to be called upon. They simply waited their turn. This method was used the entire day. Soon after we would go to PE. The assigned line leader and door holder would quickly go to their assigned areas and the students would be called by me to line up one table at a time. The day was managed with established rules and procedures. The most enjoyable part of the day was recess. At this time I was able to talk with the other teachers and the students had a lot of fun while enjoying nature. The most difficult part of the day was the end of the day when I was really tired and still had a lot of work to do. I normally worked outside of normal work hours.
Pros
watching the children grow academically was very rewarding.
Cons
i sometimes worked extremely long hours to meet the demands of paperwork by the school district.
Typical Urban District
Academic Coordinating Teacher (ACT) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 26, 2014
San Antonio is a remarkable district. Its history leads to it being an extremely unique urban district, while its achievements and challenges lead to its typical reputation as a suffering district in the state. It has tremendous potential, but bureaucracy holds it back.
good benefits; great co-workers; LOUSY MANAGEMENT
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  TransportationJanuary 9, 2014
You have to love kids and have patience; co-workers are great; benefits are good; buses have a/c and heating and most of them are now 2009 and up with an exception of a couple of buses that are about 20yrs old. They are working on replacing all of them! Mechanics are great! Our training could use improvement. We could also use raises every year, even if a little. We get uniforms, but they usually come on their way in a turtle! Working with the special needs children is a great experience. My typical day is about 5 to 6 hours and usually I have to ask for extra work to make up the difference for my 40 hours. There is a totalizer or equalizer, which in my opinion does'nt do any good, because if it was a fair thing to use, then everyone would be entitled to see how fair this program really is and the dispatchers who usually look the other way, wouldn't even attempt to give some drivers who are well over their 40 hours per week anymore extra work, and not cut-off some of the drivers that actually want to work some of that work. They also try to force you to work even if you dont ask for work, i mean if you are retired or on a income restriction then you already know how much you can make. BEWARE, its not all that they say when being interviewed. Don't get me wrong I love my job, its just MANAGEMENT THAT DOES'NT DO A GOOD JOB! I GIVE THEM A GRADE SCORE OF D-. MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD ASK WHY WE HAVE A HIGH TURN AROUND OF EMPLOYMENT IN THE TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT. We could use unemployment during the summer and during the holidays we should be able to work in other departments.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management, too many chiefs with many changes all the time; not enough hours in a pay period, too many family members working together; too much favoritism! no unemployment or no pay in summer
good work place
Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 10, 2013
nice place to work, good benefits and hours.
Working with a team made it easy
Accountant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 26, 2013
I enjoy the people I work with and the flexibility of working as a team.
Pros
the work environment is great
Large Urban School District with great potential
Communications Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 17, 2013
For the past 30 years suburban flight and diminished total population. With renewed interest by the city into urban relocation the population totals has shown some stabilzing. With the right administration and upper level staff the district has great potential to return to is past glory.
Good School Community
Bilingual Teacher 2nd, 3rd & 4th Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 20, 2012
A typical work day is very full and scheduled. Each subject has its alloted time and transitions from subject to another. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching students master learning concepts. It makes teaching fulfilling knowing that I am helping students prepare for their future careers.
Pros
teaching is rewarding career both economically and emotionally.
Cons
time constraints restrict holistic learning.
Always busy! Anthing for the students.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, Tx.September 21, 2012
Learned and gained alot. Thats why I earned my degree in Business Admin. Love the atmospher and company but need to be paid what I'm worth now.
Pros
school holiday schedules as well.
Cons
salaries are not as great.
Department Secretary
Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 6, 2012
Respond to emails via Microsoft Outlook.
answer telephone, type, file, payroll, order supplies, help prepare for meetings and staff development, school events - U.I.L., academic decathlon,AVID, gifted & talented showcase
Pros
learn different programs
Cons
short lunch break
Good schedule
Instructional Assistant Pre-K (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 9, 2012
its a great company, they care about their employees. The people are very friendly and they hold the importance to childrens futures very high.
Pros
great experience
Cons
short breaks
Good Place to Substitute
Teacher/Substitute (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2012
Most of the schools were good to work for as a substitute. I enjoyed helping the teachers continue on when they were unable to be there. Sometimes it was hard to work without a break except for lunch. I learned different teaching styles from the teachers.
Pros
most of the staff were friendly.
Cons
the pay for substitutes could have been higher.
Love KIDS.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2012
If you love working with kids ,But managment is a turning everyday.
Pros
good perks
Cons
management is a changing all the time
Holidays off
Special needs school bus driver (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 1, 2012
Working with children. Management is steping over each other (Too many Chiefs). Everone is nice to work with. Summer off you do not work.
Pros
good benifets
Cons
summers off
Change is the Name of the Game
teacher (Former Employee) –  San AntonioMarch 3, 2012
Teachers who choose to work for SAISD need to have flexible minds, free Saturdays, collaborative skills, and enthusiasm. The district and campus administration is undergoing change, so different bosses come and go and institute a plethora of new ideas which, unfortunately, are not often instituted long enough to show efficacy before a new program is introduced. This may frustrate an older employee, but a fresh young teacher may relish such a challenge. Bond early with colleagues and develop a good relationship with your students. These two groups will serve you in good stead.
Pros
committed staff, good students, social security district
Cons
eight period high school schedule, introduction of many new programs, narrow window for meeting deadlines