San Antonio Military Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great People, Lousy Leadership
Diet Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 9, 2015
I worked here for a little over 5 years. The people who stayed and actually knew the job were great. The job itself was great, I enjoyed it very much. The new people who came in a took over in leadership positions, not so much. It was frustrating trying to give advice and no one would listen. The job's not hard but dealing with thick skulls all day long wears you out. I learned a lot about my job and how leadership isn't suppose to act. I learned to listen to others and take advice from the people around me and I learned a lot from my co-workers who have stuck through everything.
SAMMC
Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 27, 2015
Excellent learning environment which provides exams/patients and studies you wont ever see in your career.
Great Place to work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 7, 2015
Lots of people to help and support. so many rooms to have going, you always leave on time and never have to stay late most of the time. No call.
Great place to work with the heros of our nation.
GI Nurse (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 11, 2014
Pros: pay, advancement
Cons: traffic, parking
Great place to work with great people. The staff and fellows are great too. Great benefits and a great way to advance in your career. It is a hard job with lots of stress, but well worth it. Because it is a learning hospital, there are many new doctors to work with. They make the day fun and interesting. I enjoyed everyone.
Great
Gastrointestinal Technician (Former Employee), Fort Sam Houston, TXDecember 2, 2014
You get mix from 3 great branches. Its the number 1 burn facility
Great facility to work with positive workplace culture.
Charge Nurse (RN) Surgical Intermediate Care Unit (Current Employee), Fort Sam Houston, TXOctober 16, 2014
Pros: great food
Cons: short breaks
We are a level I trauma center and we provide services to US military families and the community. Very busy and fast pace work environment. As a charge nurse, I learned leadership skills and superior decision making skills in relation to patient safety. Staff are very friendly and they encourage collaborative care. The hardest part of my job is taking care of wounded veterans returning from wars. You can't help but feel very sorry for them because of their sacrifices to our country. Most enjoyable part of my job is working with interns and residents. We are a teaching hospital for military medical students.
High volume workplace many valuable skills learned.
Intensive Care Unit Medical Technician (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Level 1 Trauma Center. I was able to learn at a high speed pace and obtain skills i would not have in other hospitals. Morale of the hospital was great.
Nice place to work if you don't mind being micromanaged
Surgical Processing Technician (Former Employee), San Antonio, TxAugust 20, 2014
Typical day is busy

I learned how to manage people

Management isn't bad as long as you do your work

Co-workers are nice

Hardest part of my job was being burnt out at the end of the day

The most enjoyable part of my job was working hand in hand with the operating room
Social Work Internship Program (Current Employee), Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio TexasJune 20, 2014
Pros: learning differnt modalities
I am gaining a lot of experience learning and using different treatment modalities.
Productive Workplace with great employees
Staff Nurse (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXDecember 17, 2013
Pros: great patients and coworkers
Cons: n/a
SAMMC is a great place to work. I love the environment, the people and the positive vibes that this place eludes.
Government Employment
Medical Logistics Specialist (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2013
A great place to work and to help the wounded warriors. It is fulfilling and it is a constantly changing arena so I am constantly learning and applying new things
fun place to work as well as learn
Medical Assistant/ CNA (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXJuly 22, 2013
Pros: learning hospital
Cons: no recognition for medical assistants
Military Hospital is a good place to work, workers and patients are very friendly.
SAMMC, one of the most revered military hosptials
SPD Technician (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJune 25, 2013
Pros: loyalty, duty, respect, selfless-service, honor, intigrity, personal-courage
Cons: furlough
The most rewarding thing about my job is knowing that I am directly helping a patient. I put utmost care in every aspect of my job from putting a set together for major surgery or as simple as updating a count sheet. I am extremely proud to work at a Level I hospital that truly cares about every individual patient that comes through our doors.
Honor to work with military families
Lactation Consultant (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: great cafeteria food and an hour lunch
The day starts with morning rounds in the Pospartum unit with a huddle every morning to share important imformation about the patient.
Great management and staff support, dedicated nurses and doctors.
Regular Work Day
Administrative Assistant III Logistics Division (Current Employee), Fort Sam Houston, TXJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: flexiable work schedule
Cons: parking and morning traffic
Assists the Department Chief of Environmental Services with administrative duties and office management.
Maintains both e-mail and mail correspondence
Compose confidential and routine correspondence
Answer and disseminate all incoming phone calls in a professional and courteous manner.
Maintains appointment calendar for the Chief
Sets up conference rooms for meetings,
Prepares agenda and minutes for all board meetings.
Maintains stock of office supplies. Order supplies through and process purchase request 1176 forms through General Fund Enterprise Business System, (GFEBS) and AMEDD Electronic Forms Support System (AEFESS).
Ensures office equipment is maintained
Completes various projects assigned by the Chief.
employee background checks attend housekeeping contract meetings
Assists Chief of Environmental Safety with advising commanders at all levels aspects of health care delivery and the management of health care facilities.
Participates at all levels of command in establishing and implementing policies and procedures affecting the U.S. Army Health Care Delivery System
Regular Work Day
Pros: flexiable work schedule
Cons: parking and morning traffic
Maintains both e-mail and mail correspondence
Compose confidential and routine correspondence
Maintains appointment calendar for the Chief
Sets up conference rooms for meetings,
Prepares agenda and minutes for all board meetings.
Ensures office equipment is maintained
Completes various projects assigned by the Chief.
employee background checks attend housekeeping contract meetings
Big opportunities
Biomedical Equipment Technician (Former Employee), Fort Sam Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2013
Being the 2nd largest hospital on all of DoD, SAMMC is a great opportunity to learn many new things and meet plenty of amazing people...
SAMMC/BAMC
Cardiovascular Technologist, EMT-B (Former Employee), San AntonioMay 31, 2012
Pros: excellent facility
Cons: it is very hot in san antonio
I enjoyed working here. It is a very nice facility and I was treated like family by the civilians and solidiers I worked with. I also received excellent medical care for myself and my child.