San Antonio Water System Employee Reviews

Business Analyst -Former Employee
Business Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 12, 2017
I would not recommend working for this organization if you have family members in private businesses who hold contracts with SAWS. This organization takes relationships to private companies very literally. If have family that may do business with SAWS, look for another job. Although you may not have any dealings with your family members company, you will still be judged on those relationships.
Pros
Benefits are decent
Cons
Management is not responsible
Horrible workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 25, 2017
Horrible, prejudice place to work and please don't be hospitalized or injured in an auto accident as they have no heart. They have you working while you have bronchitis and strep throat. Heartless, careless people who state in training the only people that they want working for their company. Don't let the pay fool you, you are never respected and they are dishonest.
Pros
Benefits and cafeteria with lunch deals
Cons
Management, training, racism
Little advancement
Technical Field Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 14, 2017
Company provided little advancement and management was lack luster. Training was pieced together by department and never give clear list or description of job responsibilities. Management failed to provide consistent expectations of all employees.
benefits
Cons
Pay and lack of advancement.
Horrible Organization
Water Plant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 23, 2017
This is a renegade public utility. They do not feel that the rules ,regulations and laws of the State or Federal government apply to them.
They employ managers who have little or no understanding of the jobs they are tasked to do. They only care about self promotion and maintaining the status quo. They will allow unsafe conditions to persist and punish employees who point them out.
Pros
Pay, benefits.
Cons
Culture of fear. It motivates all managers.
Workday in the Call Center
Supervisor Call Center (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2016
Access operating/application systems for start of day, generate cash drawers, review emails/calendar, review attendance report, ensure associates have logged into operating/application ready to take calls at 8:00am. Monitor CSA's hourly work, answer questions relating to customer inquiries; provide feedback to csa's. Report staffing data; answer/resolve escalated issues. Schedule attendance, training, lunch/break times for csa's. Interact/communicate with various departments within SAWS to ensure adherence to procedures. Document processes and procedures and validate for accuracy. Process stat reports and provide weekly information to management and employees. Process time keeping records, administration of time off requests. Meet with management to discuss daily stats, issues and overall key performance indicators. Address additional issues that may arise daily.
Pros
The diverse employees I work with and mentor.
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities.
Long term career based business
Permit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2016
Being one of the nations largest water utility, San Antonio Water Systems (SAWS) is a employee driven workplace. The compensation and benefits are impressive. The career advancement is a huge benefactor, because it allows this company to retain the employees and the knowledge they contribute.
San Antonio Water System GIS Department
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2016
Typical day: Management was very supportive and empowering in our work activities. They understood our abilities and allowed us to make meaningful contributions and offer insights into their projects.

Learned: Geographical Database creation and maintenance.

Management: Can't say enough about these fine individuals and the way they identified our strengths and allowed us the freedom to enhance their projects.

Co-workers: Have rarely experienced better people to work with, we all made the work easier to perform by coordinating, and both seeking and offering insights at all levels of our assignments.

Hardest part: this was a 6 month term position and I was unable to accept their offer for a full-time position at the conclusion.

Most enjoyable: My best friend from my Masters Program was hired as well and we were able to accomplish a lot.
Pros
Management very interested in our ideas.
Cons
Only a 6 month term position
Good place to work alot.
System Business Application Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 26, 2016
A lot of work and need better management .

It does make the day go faster.

A lot of micro-management in the departments.

Benefits are better than other places.
Benefits
Cons
Micro Management
Serving The Community
Senior Environmental Lab Chemist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 30, 2015
Love to serve the community of San Antonio. There is a lot of red tape and politics, but service is the number one goal. Enjoy working with other departments to get the job done. Management is scarce and non-efficient if present at all.
Pros
Salary and freedom
Cons
Lack of growth and limited future
laid back environment for any employee
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  san antonioMay 14, 2015
Being an intern was enjoyable but must be self starter! Most of the EIT or PE had work for you but you needed to stretch it out. Most of the work could be done in an hour or so. I got a lot of experience with city ordinances, state, & federal regulations. Unfortunately, no modeling in my department.
Pros
approachable management, freedom to come and go
Cons
no modeling, could not work over 29hrs, limited experience
Easy and Fun if you like a fast pace work atmosphere
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 21, 2015
A typical day of being a San Antonio Water System employee would be waking up at 6:30 every morning and getting your job assignments for the day before 7 am. As a meter reader you work rain or shine. Typically you as a meter reader have to read at least 600 house a day to met the standards. On the plus side of this is that the faster you work the faster you get to go home and still get paid. Overall SAWS is a great company to work for no matter what job you have.
Pros
paid holidays, sick leave, overtime
Cons
working in any weather conditions
Listed as Best Workplace in San Antonio
Corporate Records Manager (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 10, 2015
High paced environment dealing with records management and open records/subpoenas.
My employees work well as a team.
A little movement going on in upper Management
The hardest part of the job is lack of communication from upper management down to employees.
I enjoy working with my staff, co-workers, my boss is very supportive, and the benefits are great
Great company with great management
Account Review/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 24, 2014
The work was challenging, however I was able to learn a lot of new information on a daily basis. The management for the department was fantastic and easy to work with. There are times that the customers are difficult, but that is a part of the job and did not effect my opinion of the job.
very friendly environment.
GIS Technician II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 24, 2014
A typical day was arriving at my desk, turn on computer and open all applications I'm working on and take out the plans I was working on the previous day, my supervisor would stop by and greet me with a Good morning and show me the plans i will be working on after I'm done with the current ones. Then i will continue my day working..once in a while a coworker would stop and greet me and sometimes there were little birthday celebrations. Sometimes other departments supervisors would want me to do a map for them, and I guess the hardest part was doing the map, and then they don't like the color or size and so i have to continue going back and forth with them. My most enjoyable part of the job was when i get a big and clear in detail project that i have to input to the basemap and that will take me all day to do. It keeps me entertain and busy all day.
Productivity on the job.
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 3, 2014
I have worked for the San Antonio Water System for over 28 years and a typical day at work can consist in a wide range of job duty's such as daily work documentation. Mechanical pump / electrical repairs or switchgear issues that can consist of emergency repairs. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing the best quality service for SAWS customers.
Pros
Paid Vacation /Sick leave / Holiday.
Cons
Retiremnet / Healthcare and dental.
Work on customer service dept. team player
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 25, 2014
typical day at work everyday open up on assigned work area, look at our work assignment plan our more important assignment first , then route our work for the day, check our vehicle oil , gas and our material fill up our drinking water, check for our safety gear, vest, gloves etc. etc. complete our work orders on our lap top,type all our dailey work activities time arrrived, to the completion, material used and our mileage at the end of the day.my working hours were from 7:00 am til 3:30 pm Monday thru.Friday overtime on Weekends after working 40 hr. the same week
Pros
30. min. lunch
Cons
2 break on 8 hrs
Productive and fun workplace with helpful collegues
Water Conservation Intern (GIS) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 29, 2014
Workplace is very fun to be in, collegues are really helpful and you are always learning.
Very professionial
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP/PYMT CENTER (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 12, 2014
Saws is the best company iv worked for. The supervisors and co workers are very professionial and curtious. I would love to go back and work and be apart of their team in the future.
Overall Good Company Trying to do Good Things
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San AntonioMarch 19, 2014
In general, customer service is the same thing day in and day out. Moving into higher level roles is very difficult. If you are looking for stability, SAWS is a good place to start.
Pros
On site cafeteria, great benefits
Cons
lack of mobility into higher level positions
Good working environment
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 25, 2013
There is and lot to be learned from this place, you will learn something new every day.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
Somtimes submerging in waste water

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Antonio Water System. Our community is ready to answer.

San Antonio Water System Reviews by Location