San Antonio Zoo Employee Reviews

Amazing people, great atmosphere, fun times
Ride Operator/Train Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 5, 2017
It was never a dull day when I worked here it was just amazing the best part of the day is knowing you put a smile on someones face and that is rewarding
job
Animal Ambassador Attendant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 21, 2017
A typical work day, is making sure you feed all your animals and clean everything. Greet guests that come to are zoo and answer any question they may have.
Pros
getting to be around animals allthe time
Cons
not alot of hours
Love the work, not the politics
Animal Care Specialist in Aviculture (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 13, 2017
My coworkers were great, my job was AWESOME, and I loved my animals.

Time off is great, but they make it difficult to use it. Medical benefits are good.

The pay is terrible for the work you do. They do not offer a sustainable income. Not even management pays well.

Advancement is highly competitive.
Pros
Benefits, paid vacation, experience
Cons
Advancement, pay, higly competituve
Poor management
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 3, 2017
The work environment was not very pleasant. Not given proper tools for success. There was no organization and very cut throat. To easy for upper management to point fingers and not take responsibility for their own mistakes. Easy to take credit for ideas not their own. Nothing provided for success.
Pros
No real pros.
Cons
Not enough support from management
Fast paced
Nutrition Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 20, 2017
The San Antonio zoo is fast paced and sometimes stressful to work at. In the end you do have fun and have great people around to help you out in time of need. You're never alone when you're working here especially when you make tones of friends!
Fun to work at.
Zoo Quality (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 10, 2017
I really enjoyed working at the zoo even though I was cleaning. I got to see the animals while cleaning. The thing I didn't really like was it would be hot or raining but I still did my job.
Fun place to work with excellent employee culture
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 5, 2017
Great place to work with opportunity to create, offer suggestions, and make a difference.

Management are very supportive and strive to always find ways to make improvements.
Merchandise is not the place to be
Merchandise Lead (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 30, 2017
Your coworkers are the only people who will keep you there because otherwise the job is awful. It's all year round, it's physically excruciating and the management is 100% ungrateful, rude and merciless. They force their leads to carry out their illegal tactics and you will not be paid for all the work you do, even as a lead. If I could've been warned I could've avoided this awful experience. Steer clear of culinary and merchandise all together.
Pros
Good team members, events fun
Cons
All year round, physically grueling, bad pay, threats of job abandonment, shady management
Sa zoo
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 2, 2017
Working at the zoo I learned a lot. How to talk to people as well as cash handling skills. I really enjoyed working here and meeting all the new people I did.
Pros
fun people
Cons
long hours on your feet
Definitely not for a college student...
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 12, 2017
I was told at the beginning, upon being hired, that this place would work with me when it came to my school schedule, because at the time (and still to this day), I was attending grad school. However, when as a month of employment went by, I was expected to work more than I was supposed to. For example, if I showed up early in the morning, they had me stay until closing. I remember getting really tired and not being able to do homework, because I was so tired. I believe that with any company, if they say that they work with students, then that should be a promise.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, discounts on food and merch
Cons
NOT student-friendly, hectic work environment
Fun, Fast Paced Environment
Ticket Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 28, 2017
Really enjoy working at the zoo. Fun, fast paced environment to work in. Always meeting new people and proving great guest service. Employees are always willing to help each other with different tasks.
Merchandise clerk
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasFebruary 21, 2017
Merchandise clerks take care of gift shops, make sure to greet customers, keep gift shop organized, and work on register.
Pros
Free zoo entrance.
Cons
Short lunches
Loved it.
Culinary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Selma, TXJanuary 13, 2017
Awesome manager, awesome co-workers, and awesome customers! It's unfortunate I was only a seasonal because I would of loved to work there longer! It was busy and stressful most days but I would wake up and couldn't wait to get to work!
Not my best job
Culinary Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 13, 2017
Personally I did enjoy working there only because of some of my co-workers, the managers however were rude and just plain mean, terminated me for a because I had a mental break even though they knew of my mental disabilities.
Not a great place to work.
Merchandise Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day starts with confusion, trying to figure out where you're actually going to be for the day. You are scheduled at a specific store, but the stand leaders never follow the schedule, so it's confusing and frustrating. Even trying to get your schedule is a struggle. Management was very disorganized. I would not recommend working there at all. At least until there is new management.
Pros
Animals
Cons
Short breaks, management, work hours
Fun and Friendly place to work
Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2016
Every day is a new day, to make someone else's day! A typical day at the zoo is meeting and greeting the guests and seeing to there needs. It is a great job opportunity for a high school or college student. The hours are good and the employees are great. The hardest part of the job is having to educate the guest when an animal has passed. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to put a smile on the guest face by engaging with the kiddo's and recommending an exhibit you think they might like.
Pros
Access to visit the animals and attractions during your breaks.
Cons
None, it's the Zoo!
Great place to visit or work if you're in school
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 3, 2016
This isn't the right place for someone with a family. You work weekends and every holiday. But the people are great and the atmosphere is fun.
fun site seeing animals all day and getting compliments
zoo quality host (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
I didn't mind cleaning at all, i rarely sat down and was always walking, running around, i never stopped, i did get my break but never stopped working, i loved it a lot, seeing animals all day at the zoo, getting so many compliments about how well the zoo is clean and neat, and always smells so good, it is the most enjoyable job ever, but getting to see animals all day is the best part of the job but i did take the job seriously, but also making a lot of friends with my co-workers.
Pros
free admission for zoo
Poor management in mamals 1
Fun Farm Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 9, 2016
I have worked at the san antonio zoo for 4 years. In the beginning it was great but later department changed management. If you.ever work in mamals 1 you will notice that Anita the supervisor of mammals 1 has terrible leadership and people skills. Plus the zoo expects you to handle a large amount of work in a small time frame. Our previous manager was awesome she was a true leader. This job is not what it looks like. You better some where else.
Pros
animals
Cons
terrible management in mamals 1
College Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2016
My day consisted of 12 hours shift of working with the avian department at the San Antonio Zoo.

I would clock in at the ARC Animal rescue center , Review my daily responsibilities which included:

a.) Preparing and Providing diets, to African Wattle cranes, Magpies,African secretary birds too name a few.

b.) Cleaning their enclosures

c.) Working with Lorikeets and Parrot training and providing diets

d.) Working with in the Dove in the Breeding center, egg counting and pairing
Pros
A better understanding of Avian Science, and Experience
Cons
Not having more in- depth or clinical related responsibility