San Antonio Zoo Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Fun and Friendly place to work
Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2016
Every day is a new day, to make someone else's day! A typical day at the zoo is meeting and greeting the guests and seeing to there needs. It is a great job opportunity for a high school or college student. The hours are good and the employees are great. The hardest part of the job is having to educate the guest when an animal has passed. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to put a smile on the guest face by engaging with the kiddo's and recommending an exhibit you think they might like.
Pros
Access to visit the animals and attractions during your breaks.
Cons
None, it's the Zoo!
fun site seeing animals all day and getting compliments
zoo quality host (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 16, 2016
I didn't mind cleaning at all, i rarely sat down and was always walking, running around, i never stopped, i did get my break but never stopped working, i loved it a lot, seeing animals all day at the zoo, getting so many compliments about how well the zoo is clean and neat, and always smells so good, it is the most enjoyable job ever, but getting to see animals all day is the best part of the job but i did take the job seriously, but also making a lot of friends with my co-workers.
Pros
free admission for zoo
Poor management in mamals 1
Fun Farm Attendant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 9, 2016
I have worked at the san antonio zoo for 4 years. In the beginning it was great but later department changed management. If you.ever work in mamals 1 you will notice that Anita the supervisor of mammals 1 has terrible leadership and people skills. Plus the zoo expects you to handle a large amount of work in a small time frame. Our previous manager was awesome she was a true leader. This job is not what it looks like. You better some where else.
Pros
animals
Cons
terrible management in mamals 1
College Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 25, 2016
My day consisted of 12 hours shift of working with the avian department at the San Antonio Zoo.

I would clock in at the ARC Animal rescue center , Review my daily responsibilities which included:

a.) Preparing and Providing diets, to African Wattle cranes, Magpies,African secretary birds too name a few.

b.) Cleaning their enclosures

c.) Working with Lorikeets and Parrot training and providing diets

d.) Working with in the Dove in the Breeding center, egg counting and pairing
Pros
A better understanding of Avian Science, and Experience
Cons
Not having more in- depth or clinical related responsibility
Productive and FUN workplace
Zoo Team Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 26, 2015
You gain a lot of experience with working with animals and animal presentations. Best Volunteering experience ever! I would definately recommend this place for anyone wanting to gain experience working with animals.
Pros
Friendly staff and fun environment
Cons
not getting paid
Stuck in the 80's
Executive Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 24, 2015
The zoo needs an update so bad they are stuck in the 80's and the pay is like we are still the 80's. Management is the worst they have all been there for over 30 years and don't like change.
HR pockets all the money
Security (Former Employee) –  San Antonio ZooMarch 11, 2015
The zoo is an interesting place to work, but the people in charge of the zoo are terrible. They receive millions in donations but cant seem to pay their employees a decent wage.
Pros
Animals
Cons
overworked and management is selfish
this job was and is a great learning experience.
Groundskeeper of aprox. Thirteen Acres (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 12, 2012
Working at the Zoo was a great experience for me that I carry with me to this day. A typical day started with picking up trash throughout my area, making notes along the way, as well as setting up watering as needed. mondays, wensdays, and fridays were usually watering days, and sundays were greenhouse day after trash pick up thoughout the zoo gardens. The hardest part of the job was getting materials into small areas. I loved my job so all of it was enjoyable.
Pros
the people that worked their and the animals
Cons
i don't have any.
Exciting and fun tourism based company
Graphics Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 28, 2012
Photograph visitor and animal interactions almost daily. Develop new concepts for future animal exhibits and educational displays.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Antonio Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.

San Antonio Zoo Reviews by Location