San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools Employee Reviews

Awesome for the most part
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 31, 2017
A great place to work with advancement opportunities, great benefits, and longevity. Worked for administrators. I loved being busy and learning new things often. Some principals shouldn't be principals, but because of office politics, they are able to keep their job. There's a union that is not very helpful, which is why I never joined...It was not mandatory to join. I was able to apply for positions in different departments. This was great because I was able to learn new and exciting things.

A great place to work and grow old for the most part...except for a couple dings.
Pros
Benefits. Good pay
Cons
Some really bad principals in charge of programs; Office politics galore.
A challenging, yet enjoyable pedagogical environment
Teacher, special and alternative education (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 9, 2017
I worked with at-risk high school students either in an incarcerated or community day school setting. This required extreme diligence, classroom management skills, and the ability to adapt and modify teaching techniques and curriculum to assure student success. I thoroughly enjoyed working for San Bernardino County in these settings and was pleased with colleagues and management personnel.
Pros
Freedom to teach and positive administrative support
Cons
Requires a great deal of effort to motivate and challenge students to learn and succeed academically
Work is abundant here
Sub paraeducator (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 7, 2017
As a worker especially subs, you will get many calls for work. If working in a certain region, it's easier to stick to the region in which you live, cause it's hard for people in the west end to go work in the desert. Ample opportunities to work right away coming back from schools breaks and such.
Pros
Hours and amount of work is plentiful.
Cons
As a sub, there are really no benefits
Assists the teacher (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 20, 2017
Love it best job i ever had grat people to work with and love the kids good work hours especially if you have children in school. Duties are very simple
amazing
Behavioral Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAFebruary 7, 2017
great pay, great benefits, family-oriented, positive workplace culture, the managers really care about the employees
Pros
benefits, pay, time off
Cons
the commute for me
Competitive hourly wage
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CADecember 12, 2016
Typically, each day is different depending on how staff and the children are interacting with one another. One child misbehaving could set all the other children off There were different rules for different children according to their IEP.

I learned that people in general, are quite critical and judgemental. Management tends to micromanage. Co-worker's are often more difficult than the children.

The hardest part of the job was keeping a constant atmosphere of learning and peacefulness.

The most enjoyable part of this job was watching children understand something you are trying to teach them.
Pros
Learning new types of behaviour modification techniques.
Cons
Clashing personalities, inconsistent staff
Great place to be!
Case Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 2, 2016
Great place to work, great environment, from the team supervisor to the students that I worked along, all in sync, unfortunately, had to say good-bye to my family...
working with different personalitys
Para Educator Special Education (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino County, CAAugust 21, 2016
You work with a lot of different personalitys and it can be challanging at times all is good though. you work with varity of students from kids in and out of juvanal hall to severly handcap students chaning diapers feeding and helping them take care of them selves
Pros
get to work with great kids
Cons
working with adults
Very hands on and interaction is important
Para-educator (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAMay 2, 2016
This is such a great company and department to grow in. The children you work with are what makes your job worth it. The staff also is very helpful and willing to teach you new things.
Rewarding job
Para-Educator (Current Employee) –  Chino Hills, CAJanuary 9, 2016
Many different positive aspects of this job. Teaching any child, especially children with special needs, is very rewarding and humbling. Such a great feeling when you see these kids learn.
I loved working with a diverse culture of students
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 9, 2015
Wonderful career just not too much longevity due to the State budget crisis and the lack of funding for public education.
Pros
great hours, great pay, wonderful people
Cons
no job security
Educational Assistant
San Bernardino County Superintendent (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino County, CaliforniaAugust 17, 2015
I helped in the class room with special need children. Helped to keep them safe through seizures. Helped them with there assigned work. Helped lower function children eat.
Great way to supplement income around your schedule
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 17, 2015
I loved working for SBCSS. I was able to choose the assignments I wanted, in the schools I preferred teaching at, and was thankful for the opportunity to work with special needs children. The hiring process is simple, but the benefits of working with children are what really made me love my job as I finished my degree and raised my own children. Great pay, no benefits.
Pros
Pay, schedule
Cons
No benefits
I enjoy doing my work performance
San Bernardino County Superintendent (Current Employee) –  HIGH DESERTMarch 8, 2015
I enjoy working with different culture and children. I can always learn from them as they could learn from me. I enjoy what I do for living and try encougage children to the best they can even if it is more difficult they could achieve anything they put there mind to.
Have experiance working with retail.
San Bernardino County Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAMarch 6, 2015
I love to greet people, I also like helping customers. I speak bilingual. Just want to make people/customers feel comfortable!
Constantly going but still enjoyable.
San Bernardino County Superintendent (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino CountyFebruary 22, 2015
A typical day at work would be either running after a child and/or working on the assignment.
I learned how to be extremely patient and my heart grew a ton while working for the county. I loved all of my coworkers like they were my family. I think the hardest part of this job was not being able to completely help with a childs home life. I loved my job there though. I love helping children and seeing them progress. It warms my heart knowing I had a part in their positive growth.
Paraprofessional
San Bernardino County Superintendent (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CaNovember 12, 2014
Daily routine work schedule included & required are a must based off of students disabilities. Collecting students from bus drop off or parent drop off, lining up, walking to classroom, student removing their communication binders & lunch, toileting, morning calender & group participation. Daily 30 min walk outside for P.E. Class returns to room & start academic studies. Staff works with students on a 1:1 bases. students given breaks between each academic assignment.
Recess, 30 min lunch, 15 mins recess before returning back to class. Toileting. Art & crafts for gross motor skills, Last, movie time before going home.
Our day is very busy. Some of our children have severe behaviors, so there are time where we have to stop what we are to to secure other students to safety. I've learned that working with challenged people isn't so bad after all. I have learned to appreciate the knowledge I have been taught to work with those in need. I am a team player & easy to get along with. I take initiative in all I do. The hardest part of my job is not knowing when to quit when time to go home. The rewarding part is knowing that I am a part of these children lives who trust me enough & willing to let me help them.
Pros
Helping & caring
Cons
Restraining student who has escalated/ severe behaviors
Good Company
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CANovember 3, 2014
The company was great to to work for. They offer many opportunities for one to grow within the company
San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools
Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 28, 2014
As a teacher for the County of San Bernardino, I am blessed to work with some very special children. Within my classroom, there is a lot of caring individuals (peers) however the administration is all about the money. They care very little about the students although they would say otherwise. At times, I feel embarrassed to say that I work for the organization but my students are what keep me coming back.
Pros
Work hours. Peers are caring and friendly.
Cons
Education has changed to be about money and not the kids.
offer great benefits
Office Specialist III (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 24, 2014
department is one of the largest at SBCSS, and growing, but not much room to advance for clerical staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools Reviews by Location