San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools Employee Reviews

nepotisim
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Not favorable to outsiders. I was not listened to when I had concerns or problems. I was chastised when I asked the teacher to give the students something to do instead of telling them they didn't have to turn in any work. It created problems with discipline and maintaining a positive environment for the other students that wanted to use the time productively. The students showed no respect, I was cussed at and threatened most days; when I went to get support I was told I was a trouble maker and i was only "A Glorified Babysitter"
Pros
The pay
Cons
No disipline
Great place
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CADecember 21, 2017
SBCSS is a great place to help school employees and administrators help students. It is a great resource for school districts. Also a great place to learn.
Rewarding place to work
San Bernardino County Superintendent (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CA 92408October 27, 2017
Some days were very challenging as we were working with Special Education Students. Each child had their own issues and they could change from day to day.
Pros
Purposeful
Cons
Sometimes we could be dealing with difficult attitudes
Student Worker
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CA 92307October 27, 2017
It is a clerical job with very flexible hours while attending school. You learn how to use computer programs, customer service, team building, and paperwork. The environment is very professional and there is always something to learn that will give you much experience.
Pros
Make your own scheudle
Cons
Only allowed to work 29 hours a week, MUST be a full time student with max units
Always an adventure
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 11, 2017
Enjoy the students and the way the county strives to protect and help the students to advance in curriculum and daily living skills. Spent time and effort in working with the parents and children. Co workers always there to lend a helping hand.
Kids are always first
Office Specialist III ~ Education School Support (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 28, 2017
Fast paced, always busy which is good. For the most part it is an enjoyable place to work. The hardest part of this job is getting current information needed for workshops/trainings/ travel etc.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Cons
communication
Good place to gain experience and grow.
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CASeptember 8, 2017
Good place to gain experience and grow. I worked at a school site and interfaced with students, teachers and parents, You definitely gain good social skills working with the public on a daily basis.
Okay
Substitute Aide (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAJuly 16, 2017
It was my first job. Hard to get hours as a sub. Seemed like people who knew someone were more likely to get a longer term position. I had excellent training and felt comfortable in my position but there weren't very many full time positions available.
Pros
Extremely rewarding to work with the kids.
Cons
Extremely stressful to work with the kids.
It was a great experience.
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 4, 2017
Very underpaid but it was an enjoyable experience. Working with the autastic kids was hectic at certain times but overall I would consider it a very reasonable work place
Somewhat good experience
Substitute Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 25, 2017
Overall good experience i just wasn't down for getting paid once a month. Teachers were rude some times had their noses in the air so be prepared for the " I'm higher then you:" attitude. other then that it works with your home life you make your own schedule.
Amazing educator inspiring your to move ahead
State Preschool Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAJune 17, 2017
During my two years with this school district not once did I feel pressured or overwhelmed with my position. Starting as a sub I moved up to assistant and learned from a variety of seasoned teachers, which helped me advanced my academic career in the field. Great staff, great opportunities to grow and a wonderful support system.
Pros
Full day or part day positions.
Cons
Distance of worksites.
Typical government
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 14, 2017
Typical government - think they have infinite resources. Have no idea how to prioritize or filter out bad ideas. Too many deadlines missed because management can't tell the difference between 'want' and 'need'. No training.

On the plus side, management may be incompetent but they are kind.
many fine fellow employees. good benefits and salary
SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAJune 6, 2017
Working in a school based setting is fantastic when it comes to the school/work schedule and holidays. You work 10 months out of the year and your salary is divided amongst 12 months, so you always have a paycheck coming in. Having approximately 2 months off a year is priceless. School based is not easy though. School employees deserve that much time off for how hard and sometimes thankless the job can be.
Pros
benefits, salary, time off
Cons
demanding and thankless job
My Work Eperience
San Bernardino County Superintendent (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino County, CAApril 16, 2017
I worked as a paraprofessional / aide in the school system part time to gain experience in the teaching field while acquiring my education. The benefits, at that time, were wonderful for a part time employee. The work environment was generally supportive and pleasant.
Pros
great benefits, and gained job experience
Cons
no ability to be promoted
Awesome for the most part
Office Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 31, 2017
A great place to work with advancement opportunities, great benefits, and longevity. Worked for administrators. I loved being busy and learning new things often. Some principals shouldn't be principals, but because of office politics, they are able to keep their job. There's a union that is not very helpful, which is why I never joined...It was not mandatory to join. I was able to apply for positions in different departments. This was great because I was able to learn new and exciting things.

A great place to work and grow old for the most part...except for a couple dings.
Pros
Benefits. Good pay
Cons
Some really bad principals in charge of programs; Office politics galore.
A challenging, yet enjoyable pedagogical environment
Teacher, special and alternative education (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 9, 2017
I worked with at-risk high school students either in an incarcerated or community day school setting. This required extreme diligence, classroom management skills, and the ability to adapt and modify teaching techniques and curriculum to assure student success. I thoroughly enjoyed working for San Bernardino County in these settings and was pleased with colleagues and management personnel.
Pros
Freedom to teach and positive administrative support
Cons
Requires a great deal of effort to motivate and challenge students to learn and succeed academically
Work is abundant here
Sub paraeducator (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 7, 2017
As a worker especially subs, you will get many calls for work. If working in a certain region, it's easier to stick to the region in which you live, cause it's hard for people in the west end to go work in the desert. Ample opportunities to work right away coming back from schools breaks and such.
Pros
Hours and amount of work is plentiful.
Cons
As a sub, there are really no benefits
Assists the teacher (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 20, 2017
Love it best job i ever had grat people to work with and love the kids good work hours especially if you have children in school. Duties are very simple
amazing
Behavioral Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAFebruary 7, 2017
great pay, great benefits, family-oriented, positive workplace culture, the managers really care about the employees
Pros
benefits, pay, time off
Cons
the commute for me
Competitive hourly wage
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CADecember 12, 2016
Typically, each day is different depending on how staff and the children are interacting with one another. One child misbehaving could set all the other children off There were different rules for different children according to their IEP.

I learned that people in general, are quite critical and judgemental. Management tends to micromanage. Co-worker's are often more difficult than the children.

The hardest part of the job was keeping a constant atmosphere of learning and peacefulness.

The most enjoyable part of this job was watching children understand something you are trying to teach them.
Pros
Learning new types of behaviour modification techniques.
Cons
Clashing personalities, inconsistent staff