San Diego Blood Bank Employee Reviews

Work hours varies
Blood Collection Specialist/Phlebotomist/Trainer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2016
Float in between mobiles and fixed sites. Can be moved to one or the other within 24hrs. You can know what your eight hours are but do not know exactly when your day will be over. Depends on the location of the mobile or if there is any traffic. It is cool to travel \. You get to know San Diego very well but be in at work as early 430 or late as 12 is not fun at all
Has possibilities
Telerecruiter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2015
Call center isn't managed by professionals. Makes it awkward for those recruiting donors. Lots of unnecessary stress placed on callers and donors alike. Too many calls to donors who have requested not be called or have ignored calls for years but can't get off the list. The cause is important, their system is atrocious. Needs someone to take the system apart and put it together again so the stats can't be manipulated and the results aren't fabricated. The donors and callers are incredible people.
Pros
New CEO. Appears to be a strong leader.
Cons
Motivation should be enhanced, fear and intimidation eliminated.
stressful and unrewarding work place
Components Lab (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 11, 2014
Low salaries. Multiple lay offs in the last 2-3 years. Communication issues between different department managers. Disrespect and attitude from top to bottom. Old management style. No opportunity for growth. It's a stressful environment. Staff are expected to work really hard and there is no incentive based on performance. HR department is corrupted but nobody can do anything about it. This company is a sinking ship. I would not recommend to anyone to work here or even donate blood or money. Hundreds of units of blood are being thrown out weekly due to errors and bad management of the inventory. This place is a black hole! Good thing the ARC is still around!
Nice place to work
Registered Nurse - Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAMay 12, 2015
Most enjoyable part of the job is the donors!
Management is OK.
Co-workers are hard working people.
Some days are very busy, need more staff. Other days are slow.
Pros
Nice mission
Cons
Not as challenging as other RN careers
A great place to work!
Registered Nurse, Team Leader (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 8, 2014
The San Diego Blood Bank was my place of work for nearly 17 years. I made many friends along the way and I was sad to leave.
I loved working with blood donors all day as they are some of the nicest people anywhere. We were busy almost every day and there were many challenges.
I really enjoyed working in apheresis and as a trainer. There were always challenges with the automated process and troubleshooting machines and difficult human situations was my specialty
Lack of Quality
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2014
There is no support for quality. There are a lot of mistakes that cause discarding several units of blood very often and management covers up these errors.
Employees are not valued and there is no incentive for working hard. The employee morale is very low. Internal politics and miscommunications between departments are causing frustration and confusion to employees. Upper management is corrupt and they don'y work towards the company's mission of providing quality products.

Cons: lack of quality. lack of communication. corrupt upper management. internal politics and drama that get in the way of quality.
Pros
a lot of good people
Cons
lack of quality and corrupt upper management that doesn't support quality.
Data Entry
Blood Bank Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 12, 2014
Read long data cards and filled into data on computer with SAFETACE software with special codes include name, address, date of birth, Social Security number, and the day of donate blood. Searched and found to match ID numbers for changing and correcting codes. Manually register and input donor draw information and invoices using Safetace System. Responsible for ensuring draw information is correct and accurate using attention to detail skills.
Pros
when the occasional as event; supervisors provide free foods
Cons
demand overnight every saturday.
Very stressful work life
Account Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 20, 2013
Extremely fast-paced work environment.

The hardest part of the job was achieving the monthly goals. The managers were very nice but not always the best leaders.

There was a good amount of conflict between some of the co-workers in my department.

The most enjoyable part of this job was helping to save lives.
Pros
job satisfaction and a very good salary
Cons
extremely long work days
Great place to volunteer, and make a difference!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2013
A typical day volunteering you deal with many customers, and donors face to face. What I learned with volunteering at the San Diego Blood Bank is time management, patience, and great care for the donors. The management at the blood bank is great. My co-volunteers are always excited and eager to help anyone in need just like me.
Pros
long breaks, friendly enviornment
Rewarding
Laboratory Technician/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2013
Typical day consists of managing workflow, perform general lab duties, review documents and write SOPs. I have learned a great deal about creating a positive work environment and motivating staff to perform duties efficiently, this has also been the most difficult part of the job.
Pros
great benefits and flexible
Cons
very repetitive

Want to know more about San Diego Blood Bank?

Ask a question
good job
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 4, 2014
fun people to work with. i love this job knowing that everyday a person comes n just to give blood to help save a life. they get nothing in return other then knowing that one day they may need the help.. life changing job
Pros
great benefits
Cons
na
Very easy going place to work for
Blood Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 30, 2012
Everyone at the blood bank were nice people and well respectfull of others. The donors were all treated friendly
Pros
very close to my residence
Cons
some of the co-wokers were mean
Making a difference and saving lives.
Hospital Services Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 1, 2013
Everyday, I felt like I made a difference. I learned that every donation counts. Worked with some great people, including the management team.
Pros
saving lives
Very productive and fun place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 30, 2012
Typical day at work: Start by preparing and making sure all the computers were on and the stations and machines were set up. Check donors in, take their vitals, Pt history, label their bags and donor card, draw blood, sometimes into a unit bag sometimes on the aphaeresis machines, dc donors and send them to the canteen to be monitored for 15 minutes. I learned so much at the blood bank I was able to work in ever area from registration to aphaeresis to accounting. The management was absolutely great there, always there to see that I had every tool needed to be successful. The co-workers there were great as well every got along wonderfully and helped each other out whenever you needed. Hardest part was just learning all the different travel areas that the donors were and weren’t allowed to go to in order to donate. The most enjoyable part of my job there was the people; most of them were there because they wanted to be. The donors were great and a lot of fun; it was my pleasure to be of service to them.
Pros
the wonderful people who came in to donate.
Cons
n/a
Productive and feeling of accomplishment
Phlebotomist Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 14, 2013
Long Drives to Job site. good pay and benefits. Fun work, meet new people and lots of repeat donors
Pros
good people
Cons
part union and part nonunion
To be a part of helping save a life and to see the difference you make in the lives of others makes this company worth working for
Blood Collection Specialist (PT) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2014
Being a part of Mobile Collections for almost Nine years was a fun experience for me. I would have to say that mobile staff is great and I'm so grateful to have been a part of the unity that we all had together as a whole. I was lucky to have had the best team and co-workers. Mobile collections was always a new adventure, a different place each day which gave me the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people and see so many different places in our community. To work on mobiles you have to be extremely flexible in the hours you work and the environment you work as well. The best part of this job was knowing that I was able to help save lives and get to know the patients and families of the lives I was helping to save. Truly the most rewarding job I have had.
Pros
traveling all over the comunity and having the oppertunity to meet so many great people, knowing that we were welcomed back to places we have been before and treated very well
Cons
the hours and no competive wages
good place to work
Receptionist/Appointment Scheduler (Former Employee) –  san diego, caFebruary 24, 2012
overall it was a good place to work. very laid back but not much room to move up
San Diego Blood Bank
Blood Collection Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAAugust 12, 2013
I loved my job, I had a fantastic manager and wonderful co-workers.
Self managed, high pace work environment
Accounts Receivable/Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2013
A typical day at work at the San Diego Blood Bank consisted of billing customers, following up on past due accounts, updating various excel spreadsheets, and assisting upper management with projects involving fiscal year budgets and month end bank reconciliations.

I have learned how to be more proficient with Excel and have sharpened my skills learning various accounting practices such as the bank reconciliations and customer service skills following up with past due accounts.

My co-workers are very supportive and creative with working together to form a great working environment. Management is helpful with assisting and implementing cross-training with staff for further growth and coverage within the organization.

The hardest part of the job is managing your time between cross-training and having your daily routine work schedule done at the same time.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with professional, fun, and friendly staff and knowing you are working for a company that supports and assists the community involving blood distribution and supplies to those in need of the services.
Pros
great benefits and enjoyable work environment
Cons
lack of advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Blood Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

San Diego Blood Bank Reviews by Location