San Diego Center for Children Employee Reviews

Not for profit company
Administrative Assistant & Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92111September 19, 2017
The organization was a not for profit company. The colleagues were nice. Extracurricular activities and a lot of functions and sponsorships arrangement.
Pros
common cause for children's well being
Cons
job specific roles
Staff Is family
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 1, 2017
Great Experience for those straight out of college and need/want to work with youth in classroom setting. Learned the ropes of working in the school.
Pros
No lunch
Cons
10 Min. Breaks
Incredible Staff
Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2017
I have worked here 3 years, and haven't ever worked at a place with more heart and soul. This environment isn't going to be the best fit for everyone, it is hard for various reason. The work load is heavy. For those who it is an natural fit, the evidence is in their work ethic. They are the heart and soul of this place. I am still so impressed with all my coworkers, from all departments. It is a non-profit, so the pay isn't what you can get at some private sector jobs. That comes with the non-profit territory, and it is important that people are aware of that. That being said, the center clearly does it's best to recognize employees and their good work. They have monthly "cause for applause" recognition, yearly "value awards". They choose an office each month, all over the county, and surprise them with lunches, breakfast, etc. They have company picnics, Christmas parties, they really try. There are incentives to stay active, they have a "Live for Life" program that offers free wellness classes including Zumba and Ukulele lessons.

I read someone else say that the center asks people to get on here and write positive reviews. I want to make it clear, I have never been asked to write a review for this company. I don't make enough money to just write a positive review because San Diego Center for Children has asked me to. I am not sure where anyone would get that from.
Pros
Work incentives, free wellness classes
Cons
Heavy work load, can be stressful
Fast-paced environment with an opportunity to be part of a team.
Children's Residential Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 19, 2017
Manage about 20 cases for Level 12 group home for children. Conduct therapy with families and children. Case loads were overwhelming with paperwork and family needs. Takes a lot of balancing and does not provide good work/home balance.
Pros
Working with children who need help.
Cons
Long hours, often unpaid, big case loads, low pay
Amazing and supportive!
Parent Partner Bilingual (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 15, 2017
I have worked for the center for the past 2 years and have enjoyed it very much. I have never felt so supported and well compensated by a job before. This has been one of the best work experiences I have ever had.
Horribly ran, staff are underappreciated, children deserve more
Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2017
If I could give zero stars I would. Staff are treated horribly (unless you are management). The children deserve better. They have more staff in development department, who do a great job by the way, than in most other departments that are able to cover up negative encounters by adding more and more "uplifting" encounters. Please, parents social workers and future staff, dig deeper.They send out emails to staff asking to write positive reviews, ask about their turnover...
Pros
great work culture and supportive team
Wrap Fidelity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, CAMarch 11, 2017
SDCC is an awesome place to work. The work can be hard and challenging but management is really great at support. Another great benefit is all the training, if you want to learn you are at the right place.
Pros
the people
Cons
Paperwork!
Very supportive environment
Intensive Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 21, 2017
This is a very supportive work environment. Management is very helpful and understanding. Management encourages self care. Work schedule was incredibly flexible.
Pros
supportive environment
Cons
stressful job
Amazing!!!
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 1, 2017
Absolutely amazing experience while getting experience. It is hard to make it in San Diego on the salaries but other than that it is a very great place to work with amazing people. Great work life balance, and extra things and perks that are none other.
Excellent atmosphere to work in with supportive coworkers.
Therapist / Trainee (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CAJanuary 22, 2017
It was a privilege to intern with this company. There was many opportunities to learn new techniques. The managers were absolutely wonderful people to work under. Feedback was constructive and meaningful.
Nice environment
LPN Shift Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 22, 2016
Nice place to work, very similar to school nursing accept with mental health clients. Employees offer a lot of help with the clients and is a great platform to become very familiar with psychotropic medication.
Pros
free meals
Awesome Entry-level job
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 13, 2016
I love this Job
This job has taught me to be patient to remain calm in situations that many will not have a clue what to do. I really enjoy working here.
Productive and eventful workplace
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 2, 2016
The part that I enjoy most about San Diego Center for Children is being able to have a positive impact on an individuals life.
Great Non-Profit with Several Different Programs
Wrapworks Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2016
SDCC is the oldest non-profit in San Diego and operates a variety of programs for children including a residential program, therapeutic services, several school programs for kids with behavioral difficulties, and wraparound services. In the Wrapworks wraparound program staff travels to family's homes, schools and communities to work with them on identifying their needs and strategies to meet their goals. Typically the wraparound team is working with the family of a child who has been involved in probation, child welfare, or residential care with the goal of getting them home, safe, and out of the system. This is a great team environment where your co-workers have your back and you get to feel you are making a positive difference. Since this work is in the communit,y your typical day might start with a meeting in the office and then be made up of driving around between team meetings and one on one appointments with the kids or their families. You learn a lot about the effects of different types of trauma on kids lives and what it takes to help them reach success. You get a lot of supervision, training, and support so you don't feel stuck in difficult situations.
Pros
Team support, experience in mental health field, feel good about what you do
Cons
scheduling and paperwork
fast paced and fun environment
Youth Partner/Ropes Course Trainer/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 22, 2016
A typical day at work is always busy for me, but that isn't a bad thing. All my co-workers are great to be around. Everyone is always positive around me.
Pros
great people to be around
Cons
really busy a lot
This job is horrible and I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  san diegoOctober 22, 2015
If your have a degree go somewhere else. This place is absolutely horrible. The kids run the company. Long hours. No team work. Co workers are very unprofessional and a lot of arguments and write ups for speaking up about a issues or concern. Rarely kids are successful and the program spends more money on high up employee than the kids it self. We don't provide all the program the website states. The units are trashed and not livable for the clients. It's unbearable job and most people quit within a year. Please read the reviews about the residential because its all true. If you want to make a different in kids lives this job is not the job to do so. This place causes more harm to the child than good.
Pros
no pros..
Cons
no lunch breaks, Free lunch but unbearable to eat, low pay even with experience and degree, Rare chance of moving up and only a couple dollars more for high up position, You all get assaulted and barely any support, High stressful job, then meetings are a joke nothing changes and the company doesn't care about employees, High turn over rate, New staff are treated horrible and you have to learn everything on your ow.
I enjoyed processing the payroll of all the employees, and have fund to be able to pay them accurately.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2015
I work 5 days a week at 8 hours a day. I learned to work independently since I was the only one processing the company's payroll, and I enjoyed working alone. The management was excellent, specially under a good Accounting Manager, and the CEO a very knowledgeable person. I also enjoyed working in coordination with other department in the accounting and human resources department. The hardest job is in preparing report and balancing deductions, detecting pay errors. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the paychecks are distributed to employees and no questions form them about their paychecks.
Pros
Free food in the kitchen
Cons
health care and 401K
Productive fun workplace with great people and atmosphere
Teachers assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Everyday was something new, fun and exciting. The children were always interesting to work with and made it challenging but overall a great experience.
Sdcc
Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, CAFebruary 18, 2015
The company offers great opportunity to move into new positions that are offered and look into hiring people that are already working for the company.
Unorganized company
Child development counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2014
Don't work there! I did
Unorganized , low pay , no teamwork
Ok with being assaulted daily
Pros
Positive example for the clients
Cons
No lunch no teamwork low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Center for Children. Our community is ready to answer.

San Diego Center for Children Reviews by Location