San Diego Center for Children

San Diego Center for Children Employee Reviews

I enjoyed processing the payroll of all the employees, and have fund to be able to pay them accurately.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2015
I work 5 days a week at 8 hours a day. I learned to work independently since I was the only one processing the company's payroll, and I enjoyed working alone. The management was excellent, specially under a good Accounting Manager, and the CEO a very knowledgeable person. I also enjoyed working in coordination with other department in the accounting and human resources department. The hardest job is in preparing report and balancing deductions, detecting pay errors. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the paychecks are distributed to employees and no questions form them about their paychecks.
Pros
Free food in the kitchen
Cons
health care and 401K
Productive fun workplace with great people and atmosphere
Teachers assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Everyday was something new, fun and exciting. The children were always interesting to work with and made it challenging but overall a great experience.
SDCC
Skills Trainer (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, CAFebruary 18, 2015
The company offers great opportunity to move into new positions that are offered and look into hiring people that are already working for the company.
Unorganized company
Child development counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2014
Don't work there! I did
Unorganized , low pay , no teamwork
Ok with being assaulted daily
Pros
positive example for the clients
Cons
no lunch no teamwork low pay
San Diego Center for Children Academy
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2014
Typical work day is from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday. I work daily with behavior therapy children in a classroom setting. I help with daily school subjects such as; reading, writing, math, english, science and physical education. There are behavioral incidents that occur, and as a staff or individual we handle the incidents per Safe and Positive Approaches techniques (SPA). I have learned that dealing with the behavioral therapy population no day is the same, and you cannot take any one day personal because therapy is a process and not a magic show. Good overall management. Great atmosphere among staff and everyone is always available to help others. Great team more like a family. The hardest part of the job is trying to leave work at work, and realizing that there is only so much you can do. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with kids, nothing better....
Pros
free lunch with the kids, paid holidays.
Cons
some difficult days with behaviors. pay and advancement.
Terrible!
Child Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 27, 2014
This program constantly puts both the staff and the children in danger. There is very little actual treatment involved and in the year that I worked there I watched kids only get worse and then be shipped off to other programs. The management treats staff like they are disposable and the company allows the kids to not only damage company property but staff personal property which management has made policy will not be covered by the company. Pay is terrible. The only redeeming virtue is that you will find that most of your coworkers and the kids themselves are amazing people trying to do whats right. The hardest part is watching this program make good kids worse and do whatever they can to make a buck. The living conditions and food are terrible and the school is a joke. I signed on to help kids not hurt them.
Pros
great kids and coworkers
Cons
low pay, treat you terribly, program worsens kids behaviors
productive and fun
Child Development Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2014
just follow he routine of the day and it goes smooth. Lots of interaction with the clients. staff are pretty nice as well as the children. outing are great!!
Pros
made your own schedule
Team oriented
Tech/workability spec. & Child Dev. Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2012
A typical workday varies depending on the position. What's great about being a teacher at SDCC is that one can decide what they day will be like because it's all about planning and organizing the schedule to be fun for yourself and the students. I learned strong organizational skills from management and to maintain the integrity of my work and taking pride in job well done. The team members are very supportive and most of the time will go out of their way to be there and support one another. The most challenging part of working there is that one have to always remember that you're working with a special Ed population. The behaviors and personalities of the clients vary and at times it will be tough to meet a client's emotional and psychological/ behavioral needs and that can make a person feel helpless. Other than that it is a good place to work and it has flexible work schedules. The most enjoyable part is having the opportunity to watch the clients grow and blossom emotionally and seeing the huge improvement in their behaviors. There are other incentives as well, during the summer, the executives host a picnic and cook for the staff and at the end of the year a huge Christmas party is held at a fancy hotel and those who have been at the organization for 5 or more years are recognized for their organizational commitments.
Pros
focus on team building and rewards
Cons
it is a challenge to meet the psychological and behavior needs of the clients.