SAN DIEGO COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION Employee Reviews

Not for my lifestyle
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2017
I worked with the company as a volunteer in high school and grew with the company starting college. I loved the organization in which i was working for but it was to laid back for my liking and did not challenge me .
Excellent work setting
Pediatric Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, CAAugust 24, 2017
Excellent company for a school-based occupational therapist. Supportive management. Professional incentives. Many benefits from the company and the environment.
Pros
Professional education incentives
A great job with great growth opportunities.
Systems Technician II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 26, 2017
SDCOE is a great place to learn and grow in your career. The benefits are great as well as the work/life balance. I feel I have grown alot since I've joined this company, and the fact that there is opportunity for more growth (learning skills, growth in title and salary) adds to the joy I experience here.
Pros
Great benefits
see below
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - BUSINESS SRVICES (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 8, 2017
exceptionally great management team that had complete involvement and comittment to the formation of top quality educational programs for the entire community. loved the job and community that i worked in very much. was an exciting and rewarding place to work.
Pros
wide range of benefits for all employees
wie range of opportunities with creaa-scation of students
English Teacher (Former Employee) –  ucsdJune 3, 2017
I enjoyed designing and implementing lesson plans and seeing the children suddenly understand the topics presented.

I don't miss the interminable paperwork,recordkeeping, and continual micro-management endemic to the idle-school environment
Pros
autonomy with classroom
Cons
short breacks, frederal intrusion
Fun place to work for a first time job.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2017
They really care and take actions to show appreciation to the employees, there is always room for growth. They have several departments to move to. Plus events and parties thrown for employees every year!
Pros
Great first time job experience
Commercial Warrant Associate/Auditor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 26, 2016
Worked in AP/AR, Retirement, and Commercial Warrants/Auditing Unit. Dealt with all payments to all school sites within San Diego County. Paid bills, collected payments and processed and maintained employee retirement papers.
Good experience
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 20, 2016
It was great to work all over the San Diego County. I acquired a lot of teaching experience, and working for them was a calm environment.
Contact Writing Assignments
Recording Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2016
Great opportunity to see the public and the administration work through conflicts in education policy. I was able to record and transcribe the web posting to keep the public informed. Felt like it was important work and it allowed for politically correct narration that kept names of the participants anonymous while allowing the discussion to be transparent. It was an opportunity to define clear and concise language to transmit fair representation of the Task Force Meetings.
Pros
Stimulating Work
Cons
Temporary
Clerical/ IT Intern/ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2016
You are at the center of everything. You learn on the jobs and lateral transfers are available to those who qualify which gives you a chance to learn something new. You can start from the bottom and end up in a higher up position just by showing you want it and can take the work load on.
Great work culture
Webcast Service Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 2, 2015
If looking for a career it is a good place to set roots. Supportive management in certain departments. Education incentives, personal growth assistance, and promotional opportunities. Trying to create a positive atmosphere and culture as well as more transparency among management and staff.
A good place to work, grow personally and professionally.
Translator/Interpreter (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 17, 2015
In this place many great minds of education meet. It is an organization that is committed to provide service to all the many districts in the San Diego County area.
Was a wonderful place to work.
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2015
I had a wonderful experience at each one of the positions I held there. I worked at two elementary schools, one middle school, and then the district office before I moved on. I treasured each position, each relationship, and each learning and growth opportunity I received. I wouldn't be where I am now if it had not been for the opportunities I had in La Mesa.
Pros
Ability to grow and move up
Cons
Qualifying to test
Pros and Cons
Buyer - Manager, Internal Business Services (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 11, 2015
Wonderful co-workers, dedicated and hardworking. Dysfunctional managers with poor managerial skills. That's all I have to say about the culture.
Academic environment open to "out of the box thinkers"
Education Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2015
A typical day at work started at 7am and ended at 7pm…
What started as an adventure, in 6 years, ended up as a disaster…
Management created a hostile work environment, making it impossible to want to continue to work there.
Students were treated as a liability, not a resource, and basic financial support was lacking, school supplies were denied, forcing the use of personal funds to support the academic environment with basics like paper, pens, field trips, books etc.
Contact with co-workers was great initially, but as budgets were cut, and training opportunities disappeared, so did the contact with other teachers, job sites were isolated, due to the nature of working with a variety of gangs in the San Diego Community…
The hardest part of the job was getting administrative support.
The most enjoyable part of the job was see the academic success of a student, who for perhaps the first time, had meet a teacher who respected them for who they were and accepted them for where they were academically, not were they were suppose to be, and gave them hope of where they could be as contributing members of society.
Pros
Computer Based Education
Cons
No student free lunches in 6 years...
Sdcoe
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2015
• Designed and developed E-learning courses for the Outdoor Education Department using Adobe Captivate
• Developed onboard training including computer simulations and tutorials for newly hired staff members
• Created webpages for the Outdoor Education Department using Dreamweaver and SharePoint
• Provided IT support to the Outdoor Education Department
challenging
School Based Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2014
A typical day includes managing a large caseload of students and travelling between various schools within the district to provide OT services. I enjoy my students and working with the staff at each site and find a collaborative approach the best practice.
Pros
my students
Good Job
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2014
It was a very easy going job. Except on graduation days when it would get overwhelmingly busy. But it wasn't all that bad.
Fun workplace
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2014
Call students parents when absent or tardy. Grade students work. Give out lunch. Assist teacher in any copies, faxes etc.
Challenging job
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CAOctober 10, 2013
Working with youth very fun but at times very challenging.Most of the day I tutored students and graded papers. Made often phone calls to parents.