San Diego Gas & Electric Employee Reviews in United States

Great Co Workers
ESS (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2016
Great support team who is willing to teach you and help you get better at your job and help with your career. Lots of room for growth.
Pros
Support Team
Highly professional office environment - great coworkers.
Consultant - Resources Global Professionals (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2015
Excellent company and environment. Downtown San Diego office is walking distance from restaurants, shops and city parks. Office technology is premium standard.
Pros
Fantastic culture - brilliant coworkers
Cons
Requires high degree of focus, commitment and accountability. Exhilarating but no place for slackers!
Very Good Place to work, good work environment
IT Network Analyst - Voice (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 4, 2015
Excellent place to have a 34 year career. They train their employee's so they can be their best. There are many opportunities for people who like to advance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them. Team work is very much plus.
There was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Pros
Training for the employee's
Cons
Utility Environment
A great company
Technical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2015
SDGE was an amazing company to work for. They promoted health and wellness to and for employees. They held various events on a weekly basis for the public. The work culture was very professional with a laid back sense to it as well.
Good company, bad billing department
Billing Associate, Billing Department (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2013
I know many employees throughout the company that love their jobs and departments. The billing department is a different story. Micro-managers galore, favoritism and low morale. Managers choose to hire external employees at a higher title/pay-band and have faithful, loyal and forgotten employees who actually deserve the promotion, train the new hires?? The billing department actually brings in revenue for the company, yet the department is always under "Budget Constraints." Other departments (such as the call center)evaluate the job criteria and increased employee responsibilities based on the increased workload and training's due to smart meters and have promoted every employee from Customer Service Representatives to Energy Services Specialist's - well done management in the call center! Good company but careless management in the billing department.
Pros
stable company to work for, good benefits.
Cons
no promotions, underpaid
Good company but lots of work
Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
Good company but hard to work as a contractor. Hours can be cut off any day when project becomes less busy. Management depends on each department or section of department.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having friendly co-workers. Many people are approachable and friendly in general.

Great security system and good IT department.
Pros
good people and professional work place
Cons
workload above average
Deceptive Environment
Employee (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2014
This company boasts a possitive place to work but in all reality, the financial outlook demonstrates horrible management decisions. The decisions for re-organization of the managerial structures almost yearly. Benefits are great and salaries are enourmous. Those are the only long term benefits but they highlight the poor management structure. Position turnover is encouraged for employee enrichment but leaves inexperienced individuals to manage groups, many times to it's failure.The HR department holds subjective decisions over much of the hiring pool.

Years past the company may have been a great place to work for, but lately more and more long term employees are leaving with comments that they are not happy and would never recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
huges benefits and salaries
Cons
poor environment.
Good place to work to learn about environment
Energy Efficiency Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 1, 2015
worked at a small center called The Energy Savings Center.
9-5 M-F
Spoke to residential and business utility customers via telephone both incoming and outgoing to assist in getting their accounts on programs to save them on energy costs as well as did outreach to low-income customers by providing education, energy savings products and bill pay assistance. Assisted program (up to 20 different programs) management in working directly with 3rd parties to implement new programs.

Management was overwhelmed with making the company see our value as a team. Our job was threatened daily as contracted employees and we were made aware of that. The opportunity for advancement was very slim despite the educational opportunity the company offered and job openings sent to internal employees only. The company paid for my time to take classes preparing me for the Management Exam then encouraged me to apply for a wider variety of positions only to then "auto-reply" that contracted employees were not eligible to apply.

The hardest part of my job was seeing how hard it was for people to pay their bills and having limited access to help.

The best part was finding assistance for some people and the educational resources made available.
Pros
education opportunity
Cons
advancement oppotunity
A great company to work for!
Consulting Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2013
Very egalitarian in their management style. Open communication. Good hours, pay and benefits. Permanent employees never leave and feel lucky to be there. A very good place to work.
Unfortunately, they are required to hire temporary consultants for no more than one year periods.
Pros
great benefits, good work-life balance, good pay.
Very Busy and professional work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 20, 2014
Most of the time coming into the work place there's about 20 calls waiting to be served. I learned that patience and when customers are angry that they're not angry with me but with the situation that they are in. We had a very powerful workforce and management worked for the CSR. So many knowledgeable CSR's in any case I didn't know the answer there was a CSR close by that did. The hardest part about this job was to wait for breaks and lunches to use the restroom. The most enjoyable part of working for SDGE was receiving the pay checks the company pay's very well.
Pros
the opportunity to help san diego customers with their utility bills.
Cons
having to tell a customer sorry they have to pay when i know they have no money to pay.

Want to know more about San Diego Gas & Electric?

Ask a question
productive and busy phone center--challenging place to work with all the information that is necessary to know and remember
Electric Services Specialist/Customer Services (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Calls come in every day from customers about billing-too high & want to know why?? Ask if they qualify for low income or medical discount to lower their bill.
Every call is different, you must listen to the caller to find out what they have to say & then go from there.
Management wants to work as a team & with a 24hr call center that makes it a challenge. they also made games/challenges to each group with prizes which helped keep up the teamwork.
Co-workers can always be challenging, but we worked through it to be the team that we were known for.
The hardest part of the job was never knowing what was coming next!
The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and never knowing what was coming next...they always kept us guessing.
Pros
good atmosphere...free lunches for games or hard work
Cons
sometimes not getting enough thank yous
Great experience and training.
Journeyman Mechanic and Welder (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 4, 2015
Jog assignment & safety meeting. Worked with experience group keeping the power plant available & running. Was Journeyman Mechanic-Welder. Did Mechanical-Welding repairs. Was part of the Turbine-Generator overhaul crew. The hardest part of job was working around the clock to complete critical outage repairs. I rally enjoyed the people, work environment and the various types of work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 17, 2012
This part-time job was wonderful. The company provided outstanding training and a safe environment to work. The management was terrific in supporting any and all issues pertaining to client based questions. My co-workers were fabulous, however the hardest part was the clientele. The calls are somewhat difficult has clientele would become hostile. The most enjoyable was the rewards by management and staff, the friendship always stay on my mind.
Pros
great safe environment.
Cons
hostile clientele
Excellant benefits, good company to work for
Medium-Heavy Duty Technician (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CAOctober 27, 2013
Typical day at work would involed performing preventative maintenance on medium to heavy duty truck. Also performed repairs.
Management rotated positions excessively of personnel not experienced. This did not allow any one person to become accustomed to the operation. Co-workers wor very easy to work with and were always willing to help one another. Hardest part of the job was working in a garage exposed to weather. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to do something I enjoyed.
Corporate cubicle
Mapping Technician Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 4, 2012
A job that allows you to work with outside groups is very cool. You have the ability to work at different facilities.People have been working in the business for 30 years so they do love to keep you happy so youll stay. This provides the family atmosphere.
Pros
great benefits, education, lots of room to move around
Cons
would hire a friend over more qualified
Professional work environment
Engineering Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2015
Professional work environment.Excellent leadership and happy employees. I am honored to be part of the team even if it was on a contract.
The culture and environment @ SDG&E is to be desired.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 9, 2014
I was with SDG&E for 2.5 years as a contracted Program Manager for the Fiber to the Premises program as well as a multitude of other projects I worked on as a PM.

I was afforded the opportunity to apply my communication knowledge in the power industry and it was an incredible experience, I learned so much about power, both transmission tie lines and distribution circuits. Distribution automation is fascinating and I was lucky enough to be on the forefront of this exciting new distribution technology via use of PI storage, Trayer switches, reclosers, RTAC's, synchrophasors and wireless mesh/daisy chain radio's.

The relationships I built with my colleagues will last a life time and the different campuses are fun places to work. SDG&E/Sempra does allot of great team building outings as well as fun and educational programs on campus.

The standards and metrics take a bit of time to absorb but once you have that figured out the support is unequivocal from my experiences at SDG&E and previous employers. I highly recommend taking any position offered at SDG&E, full time employee or contractor.
Pros
incentives, stipends and subsidies for innovation and green alternatives.
Sdg&e
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Great company to work for. Dedicated to excellent customer service. Dedicated to Safety & Environmental Compliance. Hard working staff. Dedicated to providing best service.
Good working environment
Secretary to San Onofre Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 6, 2013
Multiple office duties and directly worked for project manager.
Pros
had a secure position with good benefits
Client / Employee safety support
Field Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  VariosDecember 19, 2013
As a field safety advisor I have 10 locations I am responsible for providing safety support. This includes a range of different job disciplines such as: office,field, fleet, and logistics.
Pros
excellent benefits

4.4