San Diego Gas & Electric Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
IT Business Systems Analyst / SQL Developer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 9, 2017
My tenure with SDG&E was great. I enjoyed working here and the people here are helpful. The environment around is motivating and there is quite a lot of learning here.
Growing and changing environment
Program Assistant III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2017
As a temporary agent there is not much hope to be hired on as a regular employee or even a contract employee with the company. But don't let this be disheartening. As with any job there are the politics and that's just something that you have to deal with. Aside from that the culture of SDGE is very rewarding. You get to work with a variety of people from different backgrounds and all with different levels of expertise. They offer events on site and offsite but as a temporary employee you are not allowed to participate in many. The work is always changing and challenging due to the regulations passed by the CPUC changing each year.
Pros
Cafeteria, friendly people
Cons
Hard for advancement
Great workplace, great benefits
Operation Associate III (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 20, 2016
It's a great place to work and advance once you get in. People are nice and friendly and very supportive managers. The benefits are great and pay is fair.
A Great Place for the Long Haul
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2016
San Diego Gas & Electric is an excellent place of employment offering really great benefits and a stable place to invest your long hard working hours. SDG&E is a great company to work all the way to retirement, with great benefits that incentivize folks to stay. It isn't uncommon to meet people that have 30+ years with relatives, family, and even their own children working at the company. With that being said, the most enjoyable part of working at SDG&E is probably the people that work at the company.
Pros
Great benefits, great co-workers, great place to retire, great place to build a family
Cons
Slow advancement, easy to become complacent, a lot of weight placed on seniority
Great, forward-thinking utility
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 23, 2016
Great place for interns and young professionals. Rotation program give great insight into power industry and utilities with enthusiastic leaders to help guide young engineers on their path into the industry.
Great People with amazing training
Energy Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2016
I recommend for anyone who enjoys office environment and great people. Their Flex scheduling is the reason why I chose to leave because it conflicted to my goal of completing my degree.
Pros
great people, healthcare
Cons
flex schedule
Sdg&e
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2016
Opportunities are politically driven and management does not understand its talent needs nor how to best utilize the resources it has.
Pros
High job security, good life work balance
Cons
Reverse Discrimination openly practiced, arbitrary application of policies
Contracted Employee
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 16, 2016
I had worked here for a year and a half as a contractor but was let go at the end of my contract due to their hiring freeze. My position was something that the company needed and did not have at the time, but rather than give a contractor a full-time position, they just move it along to the next contractor or dump the work load on another full-time employee. The way they do business is definitely more in the interest of the upper managements pocket book and not so much in the interest of its employees. The people that I worked with were all very nice so no complaints there and did not have any micro-management issues. I know that the entire company works essentially like this. When someone retires, rather than hiring someone to replace, they just take their workload and dump it on someone else. Eventually the company will be 5,000 temps and 8 upper management.
Pros
Great work environment, People are all very nice and helpful
Cons
Don't expect to be temp to hire they would rather screw someone over than lose revenue
Diverse culture with flexible hours
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 9, 2016
SDGE is an excellent company to work for. However, the lack of communication and training leaves employees to go to war without armor. Management needs to improve on helping to keep the morale up by communicating with its employees on a consistent basis. Treat all employees as well as contractors equally.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor Management
The job was a contract position without a possibility to be hired.
On-site Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 5, 2016
Great place to work as a SDG&E employee. My job was a short-term assignment as part of a team of temps. The job was under contract with no chance of being hired and that was the hardest part of the job. I learned a lot about the utility industry. I worked with a great group of people.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
hard place to get hired
Customer Service/Project Control Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 1, 2016
Overall a good job for me, and a good position so that i could build my skills even more in my work facility. It was a very productive experience.
Great Co Workers
ESS (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2016
Great support team who is willing to teach you and help you get better at your job and help with your career. Lots of room for growth.
Pros
Support Team
Highly professional office environment - great coworkers.
Consultant - Resources Global Professionals (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2015
Excellent company and environment. Downtown San Diego office is walking distance from restaurants, shops and city parks. Office technology is premium standard.
Pros
Fantastic culture - brilliant coworkers
Cons
Requires high degree of focus, commitment and accountability. Exhilarating but no place for slackers!
Very Good Place to work, good work environment
IT Network Analyst - Voice (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 4, 2015
Excellent place to have a 34 year career. They train their employee's so they can be their best. There are many opportunities for people who like to advance.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my colleagues and learning from them. Team work is very much plus.
There was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Pros
Training for the employee's
Cons
Utility Environment
A great company
Technical Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2015
SDGE was an amazing company to work for. They promoted health and wellness to and for employees. They held various events on a weekly basis for the public. The work culture was very professional with a laid back sense to it as well.
Good company but lots of work
Contractor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2015
Good company but hard to work as a contractor. Hours can be cut off any day when project becomes less busy. Management depends on each department or section of department.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having friendly co-workers. Many people are approachable and friendly in general.

Great security system and good IT department.
Pros
good people and professional work place
Cons
workload above average
Professional work environment
Engineering Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2015
Professional work environment.Excellent leadership and happy employees. I am honored to be part of the team even if it was on a contract.
Great experience and training.
Journeyman Mechanic and Welder (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAMarch 4, 2015
Jog assignment & safety meeting. Worked with experience group keeping the power plant available & running. Was Journeyman Mechanic-Welder. Did Mechanical-Welding repairs. Was part of the Turbine-Generator overhaul crew. The hardest part of job was working around the clock to complete critical outage repairs. I rally enjoyed the people, work environment and the various types of work
Sdg&e
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Great company to work for. Dedicated to excellent customer service. Dedicated to Safety & Environmental Compliance. Hard working staff. Dedicated to providing best service.
Good place to work to learn about environment
Energy Efficiency Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 1, 2015
worked at a small center called The Energy Savings Center.
9-5 M-F
Spoke to residential and business utility customers via telephone both incoming and outgoing to assist in getting their accounts on programs to save them on energy costs as well as did outreach to low-income customers by providing education, energy savings products and bill pay assistance. Assisted program (up to 20 different programs) management in working directly with 3rd parties to implement new programs.

Management was overwhelmed with making the company see our value as a team. Our job was threatened daily as contracted employees and we were made aware of that. The opportunity for advancement was very slim despite the educational opportunity the company offered and job openings sent to internal employees only. The company paid for my time to take classes preparing me for the Management Exam then encouraged me to apply for a wider variety of positions only to then "auto-reply" that contracted employees were not eligible to apply.

The hardest part of my job was seeing how hard it was for people to pay their bills and having limited access to help.

The best part was finding assistance for some people and the educational resources made available.
Pros
Education opportunity
Cons
advancement oppotunity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Gas & Electric. Our community is ready to answer.

San Diego Gas & Electric Reviews by Location