SAN DIEGO HOSPICE Employee Reviews

Was a great place to work for
Advance Practice Program Rep (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 9, 2016
There was great people that worked here. A great place to work at. what a shame it closed down. best non profit i have been associated with.
Pros
great heart
Cons
got closed down
co-workers
Crisis Care Nurse - LVN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2015
Some of the best co-Wokers i have ever had. all of the staff cared for patients and cared about what they did. All staff cared and supported each other as well. there is a face book group of former staff members that still remain in contact. thats how much that care.
Rewarding job
LPN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 8, 2015
My typical day at work was busy, but enjoyable, taking care of people medically in need makes me feel fulfilled, I learned the death and dying process by using it on a daily basis, I also learned how to communicate effectively with team members, became very efficient in my paperwork and communication, both written and oral. our management team was very supportive and always went to bat for their employees when there was an issue. The most difficult part of the job was when we lost a patient and the family's reaction was very difficult to deal with, however I found that some employees became very hard to that and could just blow it off. I truly loved my job and provided the best care that I possibly could provide, I am very sad that I am unable to provide that service to people anymore.
Pros
Gas Mileage
Cons
Sometimes assignments were on all ends of the county.
Hospice in patient center.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 1, 2014
San Diego Hospice cares for patients that have 3 months or less to live. At San Diego Hospice these patients get specialized care that helps them with pain management and helps their family take proper care of their loved ones.
Enjoyed working here.
Verification Correspondence Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 12, 2014
I truly enjoyed the work atmosphere at SDH. The environment, staff, patience, and fellow employees were warm and very comfortable to be around. Our department which was The patient Accounting department was one of the best because we worked well together as a team. The managers in my department worked well with everyone to make sure we had all the necessary tools to complete our assignments and goals. I can honestly say that there were no difficult or hard times other then when another department in the front end didn't do their job which made it much harder on my end to follow through. I really enjoyed taking on certain responsibilities that showed a huge difference in the Medi-Cal Audits. It was my responsibility to follow all Medi-Cal SOC (Share of Cost) making sure it was accurate and it was 100% proficiency.
Pros
it was a work from home position, and we met in twice a week, for meetings, and to drop off/pick up work
Cons
not enough recognition.
My review
Hospice Nurse Crisis Care (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2014
I feel this was the best hospice around when they were under the old management. The group worked really hard for the patients, they cared and they had a good balance between the staff and patients.
Pros
great company when under the previous management
Cons
needed more experience stakeholder making decisions
Incredible work environment, I wish it still existed.
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 6, 2013
You would be hard pressed to find a group more dedicated group of people trying to achieve the same goal. Patient care and the care for their families was our number one priority.
Pros
positive work environment, on site cafeteria, hands on upper management
Cons
ambition and loss of perspective.
Very productive and life changing.
CHHA (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2013
Daily travel to patients home. Assist patients with their daily activities, bathing, eating, light housekeeping and social support. Weekly and biweekly meeting with a great and knowledgeable staff concerning the patients conditions and care. The hardest part of the job getting laid off/not being able to see and care for my patients. The most enjoyable part of the job being able to Learn and Share the gift of care according to the patients needs.
Pros
continuing education in my field.
Cons
n/a
Community Gem forced to close
Centralized Scheduler/CSR/CSA (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 23, 2013
Wonderful Company which irreplaceably impacted the Hospice Community; unfortuneately, Management in charge of proper nursing charting and medicare recertifications cause irreversable damamge and this Community Gem was forced to close its doors after 37 years of service
Pros
cafeteria
Challenging and rewarding work environment
Corporate Liaison/Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2013
As the Corporate Liaison, I was the "go-to" person for just about anything that was needed. If I did not have the information at hand, I knew who to get it from. I assisted all departments with administrative needs.

Being part of an organization providing end of life services and comfort to patients and their families, was very rewarding to me personally. Although I did not do direct patient care, I was always keenly aware that I was contributing to this care in a very meaningful way. My closest co-workers were the nurses and other clinical workers who needed administrative and other help.

Dealing with patient family members was the most difficult part of the job, but was also very rewarding and educational.
Pros
great mission and values
Cons
because of the variety of issues i dealt with, it was difficult to find anyone to replace me - for lunch, vacation, etc.
A great place to work
Executive Assistant to Chief of Psychiatry (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 15, 2013
SAn Diego Hospice is an amazing organization. Great family culture and focus on incrdible, whole-patient care.
Cons
they are going out of business
Excellent place to work
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 1, 2013
San Diego Hospice was family orinted place. My tipical day starSan Diego Hospice was family oriented place. My typical day starts at 8:00am except Tuesdays we have IDG from 8:15am to 10:30am. I worked in home care section so, I have to drive to patients homes. At the end of the day I have to chart the daily activities. San Diego Hospice was paperless Organization. Every day is lesson, with new equipment, SDH emphasized on patient’s safety and patient care. It was very good place to work .Employees have voice, our complaints or work place improvement are important for managements. The hardest part of the job was seeing patient dying. The Agency have once a year holly day party, employee appreciations 15% discount for cafeteria, move ticket for $4;00 and once a year team picnic. I worked with SDH for 15years and I enjoyed working with San Diego Hospice.ts at 8:00am execpt Tusdays we have IDG from 8:15am to 10:30am. I worked in home care section so, I have to drive to patients homes. At the end of the day I have to chart the daily activities. San Diego Hospice was paperless Organization.Every day is leason, with new equipment, SDH infesised on ptients saftey and ptient care. It was very good place to work .Employees have voice, our complants or work place improvement are important for managements. The hardest part of the job was seeing patient dying. The Agency have once a year holly day party,employee apriciation 15% discount for cafeteria, move ticket for $4;00 and once a year team pickneek. I worked with SDH for 15years and I injoyed working with San Diego Hospice.
Pros
good place to work, managers door is always open for us.
Cons
driving 70 - 80 mils a day.
a progressive incompassonate company
Crisis Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 18, 2013
interesting place to work. Work settings were varied. I learned that supervision does not answer calls nor return them in an acceptable time. Supervision more or less is unavailable to staff when they work a night shift and they are not supportive of staff. The most enjoyable part of the work was to be able to keep a person comfortable until it was their time to depart. Co workers were not supportive either. I was amazed that there was so much incompassion or caring amongest staff.
Pros
some on going education
Cons
they put up a good front
Great company to work for and employees good friendly people
LVN Field Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2013
Employed with for SDH for the last 11 3/4 years.

The best job I have ever had in nursing

Worked PM shift the last 4 years.
My shift started at home: Turning on laptop,checking in ,sync,receiving assignments from triage,
download patient,
notify and scheduled visit
Constant learning process and updates provided to staff on a daily basis.On line education provided as well. Participated in educational efforts of the agency on an ongoing basis
Excellent organizational skills
Maintaining clinical competence per scope of practice
Management very good
Co workers: Very friendly nice staff /group of people employed at SDH
Having to leave SDH
Providing care and meeting pt. needs.
Pros
allowing for pto upon request, flexibilty with schedules
Cons
recent problems causing recent layoff, agency wide
San Diego Hospice
In Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2013
I enjoyed working for San Diego Hospice and gaining the experience I did. I was able to fulfill the life of my clients and making them comfortable and fulfilling them wishes. The hardest is when they past away but it is with dignity and the management works with you all through the process. My day consist of completing my duties
in a professional manner and making sure my client's receive the best possible care.
Pros
overall i would recommend it to anyone who is wanting to work in human services and healthcare.
Cons
very demanding
Great place to work!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 12, 2013
Inspite of a great place, unfortunately Unit closed due to Medicare problems.
Pros
work environment & outstanding staff. we worked as a team.
Cons
financial problems within the organization.
Loved the company, unfountanely the ICC is closing :(
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Hillcrest, CADecember 8, 2012
My typical day at work, will be ordering narcotics, entering orders checking floors for orders, answering phone calls. Ive learned alot from this company and was glad they gave me a chance with the organization . I did every thing from IV to filling prescriptions
Great company culture, work environment and making a difference in the work you do
HOSPICE TEAM SUPPORT SPECIALIST/SCHEDULER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2012
A typical day consists of providing support in many ways to your region and to your clinicians out in the field. Responsibilities include: ordering medical supplies for your patients, scheduling Doctor appointments, transportation and helping with other requests. This is a office position that requires the ability to multi-task and respond to requests quickly and efficiently. Great customer service skills and phone etiquette is a must as you are on the phone with customers and clinicians throughout your day. Co-workers are great people to work with who all share the same passion: providing the best possible care to our patients. Management is great in providing an environment that strives for innovation and trust. There really is a team atmosphere and everyone is encouraged to grow and to do their best. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people you get to work with and to know that your work day in and day out is making a difference in people's lives.
Pros
company culture, co-workers, experience earned
Cons
health benefits, salary compensation for the work you do, not much advancement opportunities
Would not work there again, would not recommend this employer to friends
RN (Former Employee) –  Field nurseSeptember 13, 2012
Worked there for 4 years, unstable management the entire time, became a very hostile enviroment. Office became very political, focus no longer on quaility patient care.Management don't seem concerned about retaining their current employees.
Pros
working with the patients and families was very rewarding
Cons
poor management, company got too big too fast, different departments do not work together well
Great environment for growth as a therapist
MFT Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 7, 2012
Excellent internship site, great training for interns and variety of bereavement services provided to the public.
Pros
excellent supervision, great opportunities

4.3