San Diego Housing Commission

San Diego Housing Commission Employer Reviews

worst job ive ever had
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 2, 2014
Pros: i love the maintenance field in general and happy i got a chance to see the inside of this company.
Cons: most everything; lots of gossip amongst grown men, lack of integrity throughout.
A typical day began with my excruciatingly inexperienced manager fumbling through work orders for what she deemed "important" work issues. Which was laughable because on several occasions she claimed to not have any maintenance knowledge as it pertains to property management and site upkeep.

I learned absolutely nothing while with the commission. It – more... did serve to keep certain skills tight (mostly plumbing and electrical disasters) but on a whole there was no new knowledge to be gained there.

I feel its the perfect job for someone who knows how to hold a screwdriver, or just learned, and is older, hoping to cash out on a pension for a few years work. Very little skill is exhibited from what Ive seen. I'm not at a journey level but I try to do good work and not call vendors for everything. Or "Mickey Mouse" my labor.

My immediate supervisor had a very small knowledge base and extremely uneducated in property management and site management. That I feel is what caused my end. I could have educated her more but I know my delivery was unsavory. A good friend told me to "treat them like their stupid without saying it". I should have heeded his advice. She failed to listen when good info was distributed, seldom walked units for quality assurance and mostly seemed like a puppet for her acquaintances that bought her into this company.

Of course the worse part of the job was the roaches and "slum-like" conditions of these residences ran by a state ran program. In a 5 month span I stepped foot on about 14 different properties for the commission, all were extremely worn down and/or severely roach infested coming into this position I assumed that since it was a government deal I'd receive parts quicker, take care of more people and be of greater assistance, nothing could have been more false.

I cant readily comment on any enjoyable part of the job. Free food at monthly meetings? Any and all enjoyment was assumed before my first day. From that point on I was waiting to go. – less
Work for a place that makes a difference
PROJECT MANAGEMENT & ANALYSIS INTERN (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: great pay for interns
Cons: lack of company culture
As an intern that has gone through several jobs, I can honestly say SDHC has given me the most career advancement opportunities out of everyone. I have developed advanced skills in Excel, writing RFP's, and working closely with a team of talented executives and supervisors.
Great place for helping the less fortunate
Procurement Supervisor (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 3, 2014
Helping low-income individuals receive housing is what this agency is all about.
Too many politics
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), San DiegoAugust 19, 2014
Pros: bilingual pay
Cons: healthcare/too expensive/can't cover family/no room for growth
Have you ever heard of the saying "it's not what you know, It's who you know"? Well that saying certainly applies to this company.
The pay is excellent, however very little room for growth if you aren't favoritized.
Most of the Housing Assistant are over worked and not compesated enough.
Office Assistants will most likely get stuck in that position – more... for a very long time.
All i have to say is if you are great at kissing up then i am sure you will get very far in this company.
Certainly not an employer of choice. – less
Very good company
Clerk Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 15, 2014
Excellent company to work for, very friendly group of people
Exellent Company to work Whith, I learned a lot from SDHC
IT Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 31, 2013
Pros: great people, exellent job culture, great supervisors
I started With this Company as a Help Desk Tech for 1 month Contract. After Assembling the the 1st Floor Lab which was composed for 32 PC's the company has been extending my contract until Jan 2013. My job duties ranged from End user support and Systems Support (Windows Server- Exchange, Cisco Call Manager and VSphere from VMware)
Property Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 2, 2013
Pros: medical benefits
Cons: location
Busy typical day, daily reports,meetings, on call 24/7
learned Yardi software
Management always available
friendly co workers
repetitive reports
independent working
Great company to work for
Office Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: good teamplayers
Cons: temporary positions most of the time
Good company with great benefits, hard to get a permanent position since they work with employment agencies most of the time and their positions are temporary with no benefits or limit benefits.
Great coworkers and fair management people.
The San Diego Housing Commission offers employees the flexibility needed to balance work and family.
Housing Construction Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2013
Pros: worked a 9 hour day and was off every other friday.
Cons: too many levels between management and line staff.
A typical work day as an Housing Construction Specialist included calling and receiving calls from clients regarding the progress of their housing rehabilitation projects, inspecting owner properties, creating work write ups, preparing contracts and paying vendors.

I learned the dynamics of the construction industry and how to interact with a diverse – more... clientele.

The management and co-workers were quick to assist when called upon to do so.

The hardest part of the job was the bureaucracy that hindered the benefits to the clients.

The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting clients to make their homes healthy and safe. – less
I truly enjoy contributing my skills and purpose to the company I am with.
Office Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 26, 2012
Pros: very nice lunch area with kitchen
I do work well as a group and Team, and I can work independantly. I am looking forward to making a positive and productive difference.
The co-workers said "Good Morning" to you and meant it!

Upone conpletion of my job assignment, my supervisor there gave me her permission to use her as a professional reference.
Employee oriented with an emphasis on employee training and advancement
SENIOR PROGRAM ANALYST (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 7, 2012
Pros: shared downtown san diego parking expense, competitive pay scales and benefits.
Organizational objectives are clear and broadly communicated to all employees. Work environment is positive with high level computer hardware and software available to accomplish work projects.