San Diego Humane Society Employee Reviews

Feeding kittens
Seasonal employee in the kittens neonatal unit (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2017
I would go in for the overnight shift and feed the baby kittens. It was really hard on my body. The management was terrible. The workplace was bad, We were in a warehouse and it was so cold out. the hardest part of the job is staying awake all night throughout the daytime without falling asleep.
Pros
Kittens
Cons
Nightshift
Great people with which to work
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 14, 2017
Most employees here are very devoted to the work of saving and helping animals. Culture is very "YES" oriented in terms of problem solving. SDHS has been successful in reaching out to the community in terms of offering assistance.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Salaries are low
so fun
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2017
great job if you love dogs, management at the time was lacking. honestly this was years ago and i dont have one hundred and fifty characters to type about it
Rewarding job but low wages
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2017
You see the best and worst of animals and humanity. You become specialized in the care that you give but are inadequately compensated and most movement is lateral. SDHS is focused on expansion and great care of animals but fails to provide many employees with a living wage, albeit above minimum. It is a labor of love, and while most settle for that, it can be frustrating to see that the large amount of funds from generous donors does not go toward raising the wages of skilled and undervalued workers.
Pros
Ability to learn new skills from a variety of projects, reward of helping animals, hiring from within
Cons
Low pay, compassion fatigue
Prodcutive, Outgoing and organized and fun
Guest Service Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Typical day at work for a guest relations associate is knowing what today is going to hold because events and rescues and fundraisers are happening all the time. Informing the guest about the organization and delivering the best customer service is key. Also its heart warming when we get to see our animals find their forever home.
Pros
Tons of benefits
Cons
Bit of lack of communication
Fun and enjoyable but sometimes difficult
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2017
I socialize with the cats as a companion. That mean I play with them, pet them etc. I have learned patience and responsibility taking care of all the animals as well as maintaining a clean and decent work environment. The hardest part of this job in particular is watching all the animals not being adopted, watching them look all happy and excited when people come to see them but not having them leave. Another thing that is really hard to see is when the dogs/cats come back to the shelter after a few weeks or months.

Finally the most enjoyable part is seeing the animals happy and playful etc.
Meaningful job, great leadership, mission oriented
Data Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2016
The hardest part of the job is not being able to take all animals in need of a home with you each night. The San Diego Humane Society lets you bring your pet to work each day, they encourage you to excel in any other areas of work that you are interested in. Senior Staff is very involved in making the employee happy and helps each employee with their personal growth program. The only reason I left was because I was moving to Las Vegas.
Pros
Bring your Pet to Work, Free Medical benefits
Cons
Since it is a non profit the pay is not as high
organize the field.
Service Project Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 11, 2016
- help, organize and clean up the humane society in Escondido
- share your availability and energy with the society
- get the assigned task done
- work along with my team very well
- work outdoor
- see everyone sharing the smiles
Fun place to be!
Cat Buddy/Dog Buddy (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2016
I volunteered at the San Diego Humane Society in high school and college. Loved the staff and the animals! It was a great experience having the opportunity to volunteer there.
Pros
Direct interaction with the animals
Cons
Fur being shed on clothes frequently
Fun, Friendly, and Adorable workplace
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2016
My experience at the humane society was amazing, my goal in life is to become a vet so working here was a great experience. My typical day at work consisted of feeding, bathing, and playing with the animals. As well as washing and cleaning cages, blankets, toys, bottles, bowls, ect. Overall, i learned how much work it is to take care of so many animals, but i would do it again. I find it the best job ever. The management was pretty good, they always made sure everything was on point and efficient. As for co-workers,they were all friendly and nice. We were all there because we cared so much for animals. it wasn't just a typical job where you just work to get paid. Here you worked to help the animals and care for them. Id say the hardest part of the job was making sure all the animals ate. Some would be sick and it would be very hard to feed them. So we'd have to stay with them 24/7 trying to make them eat. The most enjoyable part of the job was just loving, caring, and playing with the animals. You can never geo wrong with that.
Pros
Working with cute animals!
Cons
Animals not wanting to eat
Fun, motivating and fulfilling place to work if you love animals and like helping people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Excellent employer if you desire to work in the animal welfare industry, great training and potential for growth and professional development. Wonderful to spend your day around all the animals.
Pros
passionate people who love their work and are dedicated to the cause and animals
Cons
compassion fatigue, long hours and lots of work to do
Very well structured
Field Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAApril 15, 2015
I start my day by radioing in my availability at my campus, in my case that would be the Escondido campus. Check for any new assignments for the day. Follow up with my supervisor/Sergeant for anything that might have popped up from the prior day. Check e-mails. Make contact with my coworkers/officers to see if there is anything we are dealing with as a team. Prep the vehicles' for the day make sure all mechanics are in order also making sure all our paperwork is stocked for the day.
Pros
Pay, Pto, Health care.
Cons
long hours, wild fires
great
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2015
Everyday was a routine and worked very smoothly. I enjoyed working with the people who taught me. We had a strong team, and independent team.
I worked in many areas so each had their own way of doing their daily chores. I learned them quickly to be more efficient.
Fast-paced, excellent place of employment with exposure to many aspects of medical veterinary assisting
PRN - Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2015
As a veterinary hospital, the Medical Department at the SDHS is fast-paced and can be hectic at times but is bar none, a place to learn and hone ones's skills while adhering to the organization's goals and mission, which is finding forever homes for animals that need them.

A typical day at work includes but is not limited to: assisting in surgery which includes prepping the OR, checking anesthesia machines, prepping animals for surgery, monitoring them before, during and after surgery, cleaning cages/kennels, making sure everything is well stocked, laundry, washing, wrapping and autoclaving surgical instrument packs, medicating, vaccinating, microchipping, assisting with dental procedures, assisting DVM's with medical appointments that may come in for re-checks, bathing, walking, feeding and nurturing patients, inputting information into the computer and cleaning up before the day is over.

Everyone, from DVM's, RVT's and fellow Veterinary Asssistants, is ready and willing to help you learn in an environment that promotes honing your skills and being the best you can be. The hardest part of the job is the long hours and subsequent demand on you physically. The most enjoyable part is knowing you are a part of a team that helps the critters get into forever homes by helping rehabilitate them from the moment they arrive to when they go home with their new owners.

I couldn't have chosen a better place to volunteer and intern while I was getting certified as a Veterinary Assistant. It is a privilege to be employed there as a part-time PRN Veterinary Assistant.
cats
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 18, 2014
great place that truly cares for the well being of all animals
Customer Service in the Intake (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2013
I have no comment about the company. Its a nice place to work if you love animals and the community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Humane Society. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3