San Diego Mesa College Employee Reviews in United States

Good campus
adjunct faculty (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2016
Good campus. Flexible schedule. Cons, lack of job security and continued funding for classes. Long hours. Large class sizes.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no full time opportunities and no job security.
Wonderful college atmosphere
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2015
I had many positions while working here including teaching medical assisting, vocational nursing and as a nurse practitioner. It was wonderful as a NP to work with an underserved population.
Pros
great co workers
Cons
some unsupportive management
its a very fun place to to work but the compensation is low
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 17, 2012
a day at mesa bookstore is usually customer service in the morning and then and shipping and receiving in the evening.

i developed my customer service skills.

most of the management was very nice.

co-workers were very friendly.

lifting was the hardest part of the job becasue we received massive amounts of text daily.

working in groups was really fun because the stuff was really nice.
Pros
20% discount on textbooks.
Cons
low pay.
Productive and proactive workplace that strives to better each day.
Cashier, Stocker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2012
Learned substantial product distribution and marketing techniques to adhere to the main market of customers being served. Management along with fellow coworkers were very productive and friendly. Days ran smoothly through the excellent teamwork the whole staff worked upon.
Pros
meal compensation, proactive supervisors
Cons
weekday workdays only, mainly monday through thursday
The life of an adjunct is a thankless one
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 5, 2013
No one would teach if they didn't love it. The pay and benefits are bad and the job security is close to non-existent. But the professional atmosphere is good and the opportunity to help students is priceless.
Pros
really make an impact
Cons
pay, benefits, job security
Great
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 19, 2014
A great place to work. I loved the people, who work there. I like how my supervisor took care of her people.
Great School
Adjunct Radiography Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2013
I'm only adjunct here, but I have been treated very well by administration and they do not micromanage... in fact, they encourage instructors to utilize their own unique assets to help the students learn instead of trying to fit your performance and student experience in a box. The program I teach for has a 100% success rate, so students are getting an excellent education.

The only con is the district's insistence on the instructor verifying work experience by hunting down letters of employment dates from ALL prior employers to get anything other than starting salary. I'm not getting paid what I'm worth because I have experienced difficulty getting this information from previous employer HR departments (or their third-party representatives in India who charge a fee for this information). I've never heard of a company doing this, especially if the employee can provide tax records to prove dates of employment and salary... kind of ridiculous if you ask me. It's the only reason I refuse to work here full-time. Unfortunately, my immediate supervisor has zero control over this.
Pros
freedom in the classroom to instruct with the style i like
Cons
not paying me what i'm worth according to their own scale of experience
Review of my job as Academic Counselor for 20 years at Mesa College
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2015
My typical day at work as an Academic Counselor was meeting with the students (individually) to assist them with education plans, career planning, and assist them to plan transfer requirements to 4-year colleges and universities. At time, I also assisted those in need of personal counseling, and often referred them to our psychologists in health services for long term counseling. Most frequently served were service veterans with PTSD. It was very very rewarding to work with all students of all beliefs and ethnicities.
The hardest part of the job was to fully assist a student in a one hour appt. Often, I developed a professional relationship, and these students would make an appt. with me every semester to assure that their goals/personal needs were being met and "on target".
I retired in 2014, and have so missed my students and colleagues. My job was so rewarding and fulfilling. I have been fortunate to be rehired in a part-time counseling position at the Continuing Education facility at Mesa College. I am still interested in also working part time or full time in the health field, working as a counselor with Cancer patients. I am a cancer survivor, and with my counseling background and "lived experience", I know I would bring great compassion and experience to the cancer patients I would be working with.
Management at Mesa College was excellent, and the hardest part of the job was actually retiring. I am so happy that I will return to work in February.
Pros
personal fulfillment in working with the students and co-workers
Cons
as a part time counselor, i worked 2 days a week, 6 hours a day. we did not get official breaks, and that was challenging, as i think to do an excellent job, employees need to have at least a 15 minute break for every 3 hours worked.

San Diego Mesa College Reviews by Location