San Diego Mesa College

San Diego Mesa College Employer Reviews

The life of an adjunct is a thankless one
Lecturer (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 5, 2013
Pros: really make an impact
Cons: pay, benefits, job security
No one would teach if they didn't love it. The pay and benefits are bad and the job security is close to non-existent. But the professional atmosphere is good and the opportunity to help students is priceless.
Great School
Adjunct Radiography Instructor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2013
Pros: freedom in the classroom to instruct with the style i like
Cons: not paying me what i'm worth according to their own scale of experience
I'm only adjunct here, but I have been treated very well by administration and they do not micromanage... in fact, they encourage instructors to utilize their own unique assets to help the students learn instead of trying to fit your performance and student experience in a box. The program I teach for has a 100% success rate, so students are getting – more... an excellent education.

The only con is the district's insistence on the instructor verifying work experience by hunting down letters of employment dates from ALL prior employers to get anything other than starting salary. I'm not getting paid what I'm worth because I have experienced difficulty getting this information from previous employer HR departments (or their third-party representatives in India who charge a fee for this information). I've never heard of a company doing this, especially if the employee can provide tax records to prove dates of employment and salary... kind of ridiculous if you ask me. It's the only reason I refuse to work here full-time. Unfortunately, my immediate supervisor has zero control over this. – less
Productive and proactive workplace that strives to better each day.
Cashier, Stocker (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2012
Pros: meal compensation, proactive supervisors
Cons: weekday workdays only, mainly monday through thursday
Learned substantial product distribution and marketing techniques to adhere to the main market of customers being served. Management along with fellow coworkers were very productive and friendly. Days ran smoothly through the excellent teamwork the whole staff worked upon.
its a very fun place to to work but the compensation is low
Cashier (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 17, 2012
Pros: 20% discount on textbooks.
Cons: low pay.
a day at mesa bookstore is usually customer service in the morning and then and shipping and receiving in the evening.

i developed my customer service skills.

most of the management was very nice.

co-workers were very friendly.

lifting was the hardest part of the job becasue we received massive amounts of text daily.

working in groups was really – more... fun because the stuff was really nice. – less