San Diego Rescue Mission Employee Reviews in United States

Mundane work environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day at work consists of my co workers and i bringing merchandise to the outside tables to display as well as tall attention grabbing flags and then the rest of the day is cleaning around the store when needed and attending to customers needs. At the end of the day we bring in all of the merchandise and signs then close up for the day.I have learned how to use Point of Sale while working here and that is all there is to really learn. The management is the worst, they are the most money hungry, inconsiderate, and greedy people i have ever met in my life, they will do anything to make a quick buck and to make sales. On the days we have 50% sales they will double the price the night before and will over price everything and just say it is "vintage" or something absurd to justify their reasoning. Do not try to call in sick because they will not believe you, i got a write up for calling in sick for no reason at all. I almost got fired for showing up late because the power went out in my house so my alarm did not go off, i called to tell the manage that my power went out and she thought i was lying, luckily my coworkers were able to back me up. Everyone that i work with is really cool and fun to be around, some more than others but everyone is really different. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the non-english speaking customers and the management. The most enjoyable part about the job is the end of the day when we close up.
Cons
Great people to work with
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2015
The environment in the office are great and hours are flexible. Unfortunately the management don't have the full authority to manage it's people they way they feel is best. A lot of office politics.
It's a good place to work
Duty Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 4, 2015
They gave me an opportunity to move forward in my life when I was at a crossroad. It is a faith based company, so as long as you don't mind that it's a good place to work. With that being said if you are looking for a place with benefits this is not the place, but you still feel important while you are there.
Pros
Good Moral
Great charity organization
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2015
Provides a great shelter and rehab program for the homeless men and women completely support by Christian generosity.
nice humble hard working people
Warehouse Assistant/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2015
Sorted donated clothing and sent to stores for sale and unloaded trucks and distributed goods to warehouse.
Cleaned and straightened warehouse floor and office areas and maintained exterior grounds at the Mission.
Pros
everyone puts in a hard days work
Cons
sometime we only work 30 hours a week depending on donations
I enjoy what i do, but its benefits are more long-term!
Mission and Customer Services Associate - Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2015
I enjoy what i do at the San Diego Rescue Mission. It provides various people of different personalities and backgrounds with a faith-based skill-level on how to view life through positive perspective, while providing resources, such as hygiene products, food, clothing, shelter and work therapy. Since it is non-profit organization it relies solely on donations from others and several churches and public/private organizations. I requires internships of six months, eight month, twelve month, and eighteen months. It teaches all people that are flexible how to apply different customer service skills, public relations, and therapy/counseling.
Pros
free meals, counseling, therapy, case management and legal refferals
Cons
it is unpaid internship, management not always on same page, and could use better communication
Well Managed Organization
Chaplain Intern, Praise and Worship Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2015
Well Managed Organization from the ground up. Excellent working conditions and great support from all levels of management
Great working conditions and management support
Chaplain Intern, Praise and Worship Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
Excellent company with many good extra benefits. Good hours with equal pay.
Great Job
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2014
Had a great time working at the mission. A lot of trust and a lot of work were sent my way they kept me very busy with little oversight.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch, and dinner. onsite free barber
Great cause helping the homeless
Vice President of Development (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2013
Organization helping over 10,000 men, women and children a year.
Helping The Homeless
Intake Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 2, 2013
I first job a an Intake counselor working with the homeless, where I brought clients into and shelter, we also provide meals shower and clothing on a daily basic to homeless men. My job was to oversee the intake to those that were quantified for long term shelter and treatment. I learned that we all need help at some point of our lives and that there is some available. the management was of Christian Faith that embraced all regardless of background. I enjoyed and saw what faith can do! the hardest part was putting someone out because they endanger others lives and recovery. But most got a look at the way life could be if they continued working and believing in themselves and kept the faith.
Pros
seeing hope come alive
Cons
seeing some give up!
Helping the homeless.
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 23, 2013
First-rate Christian Organization doing great work. Working with Donors who want to help is getting a front row view of GOD'S hand at work.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
middle-management better re-named muddle-management
A super, duper place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2013
Rewarding to see guys succeed and become productive members of society.
A life changing ongoing experience
Intake Worker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2012
The San Diego Rescue Mission has continued to teach the necessary skills to become a responsible and productive member of my community once again. I have been given a priceless gift which I can never repay.
Pros
the christian persdpective
Cons
myself (rarely)
Fun and Busy Customer oriented job.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 13, 2012
a typical day at work: you come in, count your drawer, set up credit card machine and open point-of-sale.Open the front doors and start tidying the store;such as pick up anything on the floor or thrown over clothing racks, return go-backs to their proper place,clean area behind the register,and glass display cases.Then, when that is reasonably caught up, assist the store manager in determining where more stock is needed and ordering more stock, while keeping an awareness of customers in the store. Greet and direct incoming volunteer groups and assign them duties.Over see daily employee duites and chores are being completed properly. Accept incoming donations and sort according to their type,in their proper place.
While on this job, I learned to use discretion, be punctual,reliable courteous and always customer oriented.My co-workers were very agreeable, but doing your share of the everyday work is really the most important part of good co-worker relationships.
The hardest part of this job is knowing when someone is trying to get one over on you,for instance begging you to lower a price or give a bigger discount.
The most enjoyable part of this job is the daily contact with customers who begin to know you and build friendships with you.My favorite thing to do is make a customer's shopping experience a great one just by being as nice and as accomodating as possible. My favorite days are the days that we offered a 50% discount, and to see the customer smile when they realize they just got a really good deal.
Pros
allowed to purchase first pick of everyday household items, furniture, clothing and electronics.
Cons
one real break per day, which was a half-an-hour for lunch and mandatory saturdays
Good Place To Work
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 13, 2012
I am currently living at the mission,so I work free for the them,but I enjoy my work.I have a very good boss,and a lot of good people that work with me,and I get satisfaction from the work knowing that I,m doing something to help people.
fun and and enjoyable place to work.
Retail & Scullery (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2012
awesome place to work and be a part of. people aer great and the managment is friendly.
Pros
scullery
Great place to work if you want to help those to want to get out of the slums
120 Elm Street (Former Employee) –  Resident ManagerNovember 7, 2011
San Digo Rescue is a great place to work. The Hours I worked were hard because I work mostly graveyard and Sat days and you have to be very flexible. The turn over ratio was much but if you can handle hard work mentally you should do fine. People who have been down and out go through many changes but by the Grace of GOD strength will be there for Employee and Resident. I should say this is a serious job and it is for serious and loving people only.
Pros
watching people heal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Rescue Mission. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2