San Diego Rescue Mission Employee Reviews

Great for getting experience in social services, poor work/life balance support
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2017
I love what I do at the rescue mission and knowing I'm making a difference in our community. While I don't always completely agree with management, they do truly do what they think is best to help break the cycle of homelessness. That said, there is far more work than a person can reasonably do in a 40 hour work week whether you're salaried or hourly. I had also put in 9 months ahead of time for a family wedding, and had been given verbal confirmation that I would receive this time. 3 months before the wedding, I was emailed saying I could no longer have any time off, as the interest of what was best for business came first.
rescue mission
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92101May 27, 2017
the volunteer job the the rescue mission was really great, i had the opportunity to meet a lot of people as well as helping others. the hardest part of the job was to see the unfortunate and seeing the heartache they were going through. however, the best part was being able to see the smile on their faces when you sit down and talk to them, making them feel that you actually care
Fun rewarding job
Electronic dept (Former Employee) –  City heightsMay 8, 2017
I would work for them again..it was a volenteer type position..in the aspect i stayed at the rescue mission and working in the warehouse paid for roon and board
Pros
Food included
Cons
Short breaks
Stable and friendly environment
Food Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 28, 2017
I like being part of the Mission's statement helping the less fortunate and helping coordinating receiving and donations. I liked dealing with customers and helping them find bargains.
Manager
Residential manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 3, 2017
I enjoyed giving back to people and showing them that no matter what they could make it. I also learned that no matter how the world may be it is far m ore better to give than receive.
Awesome place to work and grow.
Mission Services / Dining Services Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 21, 2016
This is where I have been able to get experience in working closely with others who have the same interests and are striving to be better overall.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
There really aren't any
help needed
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 8, 2016
please help find job because i m low on cash need help to support myself the hardest time i work was when my grandma died and i got kicked out of my house because i was out of it
Pros
no lunches
Cons
short breaks
loved my job
Food Service Van Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2016
enjoyed work place fun and educational and sipirtual i drove a van picking up food donations for people in need i was responsible for finding the donation sites and loading the product and delivering the goods i had to pick and choose a coworker to work with me to get the job done and be safe and drive in traffic
Mundane work environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day at work consists of my co workers and i bringing merchandise to the outside tables to display as well as tall attention grabbing flags and then the rest of the day is cleaning around the store when needed and attending to customers needs. At the end of the day we bring in all of the merchandise and signs then close up for the day.I have learned how to use Point of Sale while working here and that is all there is to really learn. The management is the worst, they are the most money hungry, inconsiderate, and greedy people i have ever met in my life, they will do anything to make a quick buck and to make sales. On the days we have 50% sales they will double the price the night before and will over price everything and just say it is "vintage" or something absurd to justify their reasoning. Do not try to call in sick because they will not believe you, i got a write up for calling in sick for no reason at all. I almost got fired for showing up late because the power went out in my house so my alarm did not go off, i called to tell the manage that my power went out and she thought i was lying, luckily my coworkers were able to back me up. Everyone that i work with is really cool and fun to be around, some more than others but everyone is really different. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the non-english speaking customers and the management. The most enjoyable part about the job is the end of the day when we close up.
volunteer
student (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2015
Great way to help out the community. Learned how to community gives back to the less fortunate by donating clothes and household goods. The money made by people who shop there also goes to the community.
Great people to work with
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2015
The environment in the office are great and hours are flexible. Unfortunately the management don't have the full authority to manage it's people they way they feel is best. A lot of office politics.
It's a good place to work
Duty Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 4, 2015
They gave me an opportunity to move forward in my life when I was at a crossroad. It is a faith based company, so as long as you don't mind that it's a good place to work. With that being said if you are looking for a place with benefits this is not the place, but you still feel important while you are there.
Pros
Good Moral
Great charity organization
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2015
Provides a great shelter and rehab program for the homeless men and women completely support by Christian generosity.
nice humble hard working people
Warehouse Assistant/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 13, 2015
Sorted donated clothing and sent to stores for sale and unloaded trucks and distributed goods to warehouse.
Cleaned and straightened warehouse floor and office areas and maintained exterior grounds at the Mission.
Pros
everyone puts in a hard days work
Cons
sometime we only work 30 hours a week depending on donations
I enjoy what i do, but its benefits are more long-term!
Mission and Customer Services Associate - Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2015
I enjoy what i do at the San Diego Rescue Mission. It provides various people of different personalities and backgrounds with a faith-based skill-level on how to view life through positive perspective, while providing resources, such as hygiene products, food, clothing, shelter and work therapy. Since it is non-profit organization it relies solely on donations from others and several churches and public/private organizations. I requires internships of six months, eight month, twelve month, and eighteen months. It teaches all people that are flexible how to apply different customer service skills, public relations, and therapy/counseling.
Pros
free meals, counseling, therapy, case management and legal refferals
Cons
it is unpaid internship, management not always on same page, and could use better communication
Well Managed Organization
Chaplain Intern, Praise and Worship Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2015
Well Managed Organization from the ground up. Excellent working conditions and great support from all levels of management
Great working conditions and management support
Chaplain Intern, Praise and Worship Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
Excellent company with many good extra benefits. Good hours with equal pay.
Great Job
Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2014
Had a great time working at the mission. A lot of trust and a lot of work were sent my way they kept me very busy with little oversight.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Onsite Free Barber
Great cause helping the homeless
Vice President of Development (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 11, 2013
Organization helping over 10,000 men, women and children a year.
Helping The Homeless
Intake Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 2, 2013
I first job a an Intake counselor working with the homeless, where I brought clients into and shelter, we also provide meals shower and clothing on a daily basic to homeless men. My job was to oversee the intake to those that were quantified for long term shelter and treatment. I learned that we all need help at some point of our lives and that there is some available. the management was of Christian Faith that embraced all regardless of background. I enjoyed and saw what faith can do! the hardest part was putting someone out because they endanger others lives and recovery. But most got a look at the way life could be if they continued working and believing in themselves and kept the faith.
Pros
Seeing hope come alive
Cons
Seeing some give up!