San Diego Unified School District

San Diego Unified School District Employee Reviews

The Best!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 31, 2015
These guys are the best that there is!!! They make it an extremely fun working environment and they are truly an inspiration.
Extremely busy attending to the needs of students and staff
School Clerk I and II (Substitute) (Current Employee), Substitute clerk - work at many schoolsMay 21, 2015
Pros: Free Education, motivated teachers
Cons: Wish parents were more involved.
Working with SDUSD has been a major influence on how I view parenting, the role of schools and society. My typical day begins with obtaining substitute rosters and issuing keys to the substitute.
I then begin to assist persons who come to my desk with various needs or questions. I check with the Vice Principal to see what her needs are or what is scheduled for the day, to keep her organized. Respond – more... to parents who call to state student is sick today and will not be in school, for which I notate on an Attendance Roster. I then respond to substitute attendance rosters which allow me to know which students are not in class, and were marked absent, upon which I enter this information into a specialize database called PowerSchool. PowerSchool is a vehicle the district utilizes to tract students in all areas including attendance, grades, suspensions, parental information, and whether the student is still active within the district. I am very busy responding to long line of persons who need information and always provide that information with proficiency and excellent customer service. I am complimented on a daily basis on how well I perform my job. At the end of the day I print various reports which reflect attendance at the school. This is all kept together on a daily basis for a specified period. My co workers are the best, there really is not a hard part of my job unless it is when I see a student get suspended. I have learned I am ideal for this position, as I have the wisdom and patience to deal with young ones as well as the ability to pass along sage advise when needed. The management are doing a great job but realize they need parents as well to help facilitate a great learning experience for their young ones. – less
Productive and fun
8th grade Algebra 1 Teacher (Former Employee), San DiegoMay 18, 2015
Learned many different teaching styles and how to incorporate multiple intelligence in planning of lessons. Learned how to backward plan and figure out what the objective of the lesson is and plan what is needed to get there. Learned how to use assessment to drive instruction and learning of students, to really understand what is known and what areas we need to work on.
Enjoyed working with families and enrolling children into program
Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 6, 2015
Pros: Helping parents with enrolling children
Cons: Short breaks
Good environment to work in
Good travel time for me
Beautiful location
Good co-workers
Very clean facility
Good benefits
SET SDUSD
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 6, 2015
Some days are difficult because everyday is different working with special needs children. Did not work enough the have a long review about the position.
Steady Employment
Special Education Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2015
Very flexible work schedule when you are employed in a substitute position. Therefore, you are able to supplement your income as a sub.
very productive work place, fun
Special Education Tech (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: weekends and holidays off
Cons: not enough pay
help kids with homework and teacher with class projects.
learned that you can make a change to anyones live by the smallest things in one day. MY co-workers where very nice down to earth people. very fun to be around and very motivational. I enjoyed helping kids learn different assignments.
Life changer
Food Server (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short shifts 3 hours max
I worked in the cafeteria for awhile as well working noon duty monitoring the kids on the play ground. i was lucky enough to work at my sons elementary school, so not only did i get work with my son but i got to work with the other kids and see all the different personalities, and in vision how they see life... its a amazing place to work but only because of the children
Fun work enviroment
Noon Duty Attendant (Former Employee), San Diego, CaliforniaNovember 13, 2014
Pros: being where my children went to school
The children were fun to be around, The co-workers were awesome individuals. Safety and well being were first and then it was time for fun.
A very diversed experience
Clerk I & II: Clerk I 30wpm. Clerk II 40 wpm (Former Employee), San Diego, CA. VariedNovember 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches is a program for needy students, parents would apply for these lunches, but the applications were not always correctly filled, and the scantron would not read the application, my job was to figure it out and rescan, or send to the supervisor.
Cons: from 2001--2003 i worked for the district, then i resigned to enter the peace corps from 2003--2005. while in zambia, i worked in hiv/aids. upon my return i went back to working for the district.
I was an "on-call" employee. A typical day would be very clerical in nature. It would start out with me managing the arrival of the school busses. This was followed by inter-relating with parents with regards to their concerns. After that there was the sorting of the day's mails. Then I would attend to desk work, entering attendance records, typing, filing, and so on. Working in various animated offices – more... around the county the routine would differ from school to school..

The knowledge I gained ranged from learning the application process for free school lunches, the logistics of managing the schools' transportation system. learning to comply with federal, state, and the county's educational laws regarding student records, the etiquette of telephone communication, the skills of public relation, and managing complex filing systems.

My co-workers were, for the most part, exemplary. They taught me what I know. On the other hand, the hardest part of being an "on call" clerk was getting accustom to being moved from job site to job site.

There were, however, enjoyable times on the job. For instance, I love typing; and most folks are not accustom to seeing a male typing at 35--40 words per minute. I used to dazzle my co-workers as my fingers flew over the keyboard. They just stood there smiling with amazement. Another enjoyable part of the job for me was when I was being taught some aspect of the job that was new to me. – less
Fun place to work.
Campus Custodian (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 5, 2014
There is always something to do so I kept busy and it made the days go fast. Was unexpectedly laid off but I had a great experience overall.
Field & Office Environment
Development Project Manager (Current Employee), San DiegoOctober 23, 2014
Coordination between Public & Private entities creates a versatile work environment.
A wonderful place to be
Substitute Teacher/Special Ed Tech (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: being there
Working there was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life atypical day was an adventure in the world of a child's mind
and I only hope to find another like in my lifetime. I learned there that you can learn more about yourself working with children than any other occupation. ( at least any I've experienced and I've had many in my 56 years of life. Management there was very considerate and – more... always concerned with what was best for the children. My co-workers were some of my best friends and I mean that in the most sincere possible way. The hardest part of the job was getting laid off at a time when public education was least appreciated by the powers that be.
And the most enjoyable part of the job was having the opportunity
to being able to offer support and share my knowledge with the children – less
family orinted workplace
Child Development Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2014
Everyday involved teamwork we would create lesson plans and activities in order to provide the best educational experience for the children.
Providing classroom assitance for Special Ed students
Classified Substitute Classroom Aide (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: making sure that all children get the help the need to be successful
Cons: not full time
My job as a classroom aide is to provide help for any child who requires. Many of the children I assist have special needs or developmental delays so I assist them on a one on one basis to address their needs specifically. I really enjoy working with different children all the time and I feel that this part of our educational system is broken so I feel honored to be able to fill this gap.
Friendly atmosphere to be employed in.
Child Development Center Teacher (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: flexibility, paid healthcare
Cons: paperwork and forms for mostly the same thing, stated differently.
Interaction with children and parents on a daily basis, I soon learned how to adopt a plan 'b' to cover all activities. Except for the years I worked with the after school program (students K-6), Most of my job was teaching pre-school children social skills and academics to prepare them for entry to elementary school. I worked at several different sites and found most co-workers to be caring and friendly. – more...
One co-worker I thought to be snobbish, appeared to be this way by failure to speak when passing, had a spouse who was suffering from a terminal disease. I later found this person to be funny and caring, and learned not to be so judgmental. The hardest part of this job was filing all necessary reports and forms required by state mandate. On the whole watching children grow and develop is the most enjoyable part. – less
San Diego Unified School District
Substitute Teacher, Special Ed (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: flexibility of hours
Cons: sometimes there are no breaks
Each day is different. This is an on-call job, so I generally go to a different school campus each day or two. I work in the classroom with the teacher, providing whatever service he/she needs. That might involve proctoring an exam. Tutoring students, 1:1, 2:1, 3:1. Sometimes giving instructions. Playground monitoring, lunchtime monitoring.

It is a wonderful job!
A permanent position has it's down falls ...
Special Ed. Aide (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 25, 2014
Pros: getting off before 2pm, close to home, and summers off.
Cons: administration
Many of the preteens I have worked with were sweet, diligent and very adamant about success. Others were a bit more arduous to deal with. Overall, I loved my job but really began to feel under appreciated as well as under paid.
Productive and fun place to work with children.
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee), San DiegoJune 19, 2014
It is a great work and career opportunity. I love working with the children and it makes me happy to know I can help them out and make school much more fun and less frustrating.
ok
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 11, 2014
It was ok. A lot of politics. Worked with a nice staff. Teachers were all supportive.

1 2 3 4