San Diego Unified School District Employee Reviews

Fun and relaxed deoending on the job
Extended Day Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2018
San Diego Uniefied School District is great. It is a relaxed and fun enviroment. I do wish they would gice more hours and pay more. The jib can get challenging when you are in charge of more than 30 kids.
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 2, 2018
A typical workday is fast-paced, rewarding, collaborative. The hardest part of my job is seeing a student who is not socially, emotionally, and academically engaged in his/her own learning process. The most enjoyable part are those "AH-HA!" moments that you see on a child's face when they grasp a new concept or idea.
Pros
Students, colleagues, work environment, and community
Cons
paperwork
Some of the best benefits around
Lead Licensed Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2018
I was drawn to SDUSD because of the long term career potential and amazing benefits including retirement pension. Unfortunately the budget was sorely out of balance leading to many layoffs in recent years.
On your Own
Substitute Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2018
The nature of the job requires you to work alone. It causes you to think about how to use your time efficiently. Not for the faint hearted. If you like that then this is a great job for you.
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Very fun way to grow as a teacher and there is a lot of open opportunities to discover an area that you like when teaching. I love working with special Ed kids and creating fun ways to learn with them.
Pros
Friendly, fair pay, great opportunities
Cons
Far locations
loved working with the kids and teachers
Noon Aide/ Crossing gaurd (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2018
It was a job I took to be close to my kids and be home when they got there. because my husband was in the military and I needed to be home. I found the children delightful and the teachers and faculty to be wonderful and supportive people. it was a great place to work and It was hard to leave but duty called and we had to move.
holiday events
Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2018
communicate with people during 12 month period and party and graduation time for the kids at the elementary school site and paid time off and gifts from the teachers
Teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2018
A typical day requires extensive amounts of unpaid time to perform job as required. The schools are understaffed and staff are under paid but benefits are good and there are opportunities for advancement. It is difficult to work for SDUSD and maintain balance. The district is diverse and most school sites are friendly and collaborative.
Relaxed easy going place to work
Child Development Counselor/Sub-TA/On Call (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2018
I made my own hours and worked closely with children from grades Kindergarten through high school seniors. I did some 1 on 1 tutoring and helped kids out with hard subjects in school.
Pros
You get to make your own schedule
Cons
low supervision no guidance
Safe place to work, everybody help each other, people are friendly
Food Service Worker 1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2017
Getting there early so I can have everything ready for that day. I learned that working together makes works easier. She treats everybody the same. The hardest part of the job is when someone called in sick, that's when we have to work harder. the most enjoyable part of the job is when you see the kids happy faces when th come to get their food .
Good Benefits but Unstable
School Secretary (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 30, 2017
Every few years they tell us they can't balance the budget so there will be layoffs. So people get layed off and benefits get cut. Unstable work environment is stressful to deal with.
Pros
Good Benefits and Decent Pay
Cons
Jobs and Benefits can be cut at any time.
A fun work environment and nice people to work with
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 28, 2017
Interact with kids that have special needs and teach them through one-on-one, and small group sessions to try to get caught up with the general education students.
It is a job where you have a rewarding but challenging position. You do need to think on your feet to try to get to the reason why the child is not learning as quickly as other students with the help of a team.
Pros
Understanding of family life, no manager staring over your shoulder, you are not behind a desk all day long
Cons
Low pay
Collaborative
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 18, 2017
A good place to work. I've been in the district for 27 years. Collaborative work place, but teachers need to promote inclusion independently of the district.
Pros
Tenure
Cons
budget cuts
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 15, 2017
I am not sure how much to report. I was just a substitute teacher who was trying to find full-time work. Overall, it seemed like a good place to work, but I was unable to get my foot in the door.
Great Working with Students and benefits
Educational Specialist / Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 8, 2017
I have worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time (More than 20 years) in some capacity or another. I began working as a High school coach and then got into education as a result of my love of children. I worked as a Behavioral Tech while I was earning my Masters of Science degree in Special Education. Once I earned my degree I began teaching full-time. I enjoy the atmosphere at San Diego Unified School District, in particular, my school site. I feel as though every day we as educators are making a difference in the lives of children who come from all walks of life. I am proud to be a teacher and more importantly proud of the work that my colleagues and I perform on a daily basis to ensure the success of the students we serve.
As far as benefits, SDUSD takes care of the people who are employed and I look forward to the many opportunities afforded to me by San Diego Unified School District. Great work environment and great people.
Pros
Students and Work Environment
Cons
Paper work
productive and fun place
Cafeteria Server (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2017
It is a great environment, lots of people you get to meet. all of them are kind and easy to get along with. you can learn alot from them. It's a soild place to work.
Keeps you busy
Food service worker I (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2017
Its a 2 hr position that keeps you buys for the whole 2 hrs you are there. Food prep work, cleaning up, lots of dishes and sweeping. making sure everything is sanitized and ready for the next day
Pros
your off when the district is off so your on the same schedule with the kids
Cons
if your kids go to another school they are usually good about working with schedules
Decent place for employment.
Custodial/Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 20, 2017
Decent place to work but unfortunately the budget is always an issue. First the kids suffer then starts to trickle down to maintenance, custodial and so on down the line.
Pros
Mostly work solo.
Substitute teacher
Visiting Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 30, 2017
High school is a fast paced environment. Students want to get down to business.A substitute must follow a proper routine. Departments have guidelines provided by the State for the way lessons are presented.
Pros
In the long run you get to watch students mature and graduate
Cons
Got no answer here
Busy and fast paced environment
Work Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 24, 2017
Productive and fun
learned how to communicates job related outside my work environment
It's okay
balance environment
during rainy days
celebrations
Pros
free yoga lesson
Cons
health care