San Diego Unified School District

San Diego Unified School District Employee Reviews

good part time job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 6, 2014
prepare for lunch, clean area, make the salad bar, and serve lunch to students
Each school was a positive learning environment where teachers, students and administration worked together to help every student.
Classroom Teacher - History, A.S.B. and Journalism (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 28, 2014
Pros: each day was new and exciting as students can more insight and information.
Cons: not enough time in the school year to cover all of the curriculum as in depth as possible.
Teaching in San Diego Unified School District as been a rewarding experience where I been able to see students reach their highest potential in class and then go on to do great things in high school and college.
Every day was a chance to help students learn about the curriculum, the world around them and themselves. I developed units of study that allowed students to learn the material along with creating in depth questioning that challenged students to view the information and their own concepts in a new light. Along with teaching core subjects, I also had the opportunity to teach the Associated Student Body class, where I helped students create, plan, organize and run amazing school wide events and activities.
Huge district with many nice schools.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 26, 2014
Must be flexible as a substitute as the day can change without notice. Most school staff were very accommodating and happy to have help. The best part was becoming a "preferred" sub for a few select schools which then makes you feel as if you are part of the school family.
Gerneral Duties
Campus Security (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 24, 2014
Pros: interesting work day, decent salary, friendly staff
Cons: unreliable work schedule, short breaks, no healthcare
On a daily basis the school security patrol the parking lots and school grounds. If there are any students breaking school policy we reprimand them. In the case of fights or violent outburst is required to restrain and wait for law officers. If there are any persons no belonging to the school on school grounds we are to ask them their business and enforce school policy.
HR decisions are unfair but they are per CA Ed Codes
Parent Support Liaison (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 18, 2014
Pros: good full time employer
Cons: unfair practices
I was responsible for incoming calls from Parents who had issues with their teachers or principals on matters occurring in school. I also provided support to the principals with copies of policy and procedures so that they could resolve issues.
Enjoyable work place
Education/Special Ed. Tech. (Former Employee), San Diego, CA.April 14, 2014
Pros: healthcare, reasonable pay
Cons: job security
Pleasent place to work, co-workers usually friendly and caring.
The hardest part of the job was heavy lifting on a regular daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the students learning and seeing them laugh and smile.
The only bad thing I feel working with the San Diego Unified School district is there is NO JOB SECURITY! They are not willing to make necessary accommodations for their employees if needed.
Great Educational Environment
Teacher (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: managing individuals and students
Cons: the parking at a city school was challenging at times.
Fast paced and very communicative.

I learned Organization, Communication, group, and team.

Management was very effective and management at school environments is team oriented and aims towards common goals.

The hardest part of the job was engaging large groups of students as a new teacher.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be communication with co-workers and managing individuals.
I wish this could have been a permanent position.
Intern (Paid) (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: was only an internship
Great work environment. I learned that changing your task or duties every week or so helps keep you sane and loving your job !
Productive, family-centered department that encourages community outreach and connections; strengthens relationships between staff, community,students
Professional Expert (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: dedicated to helping all stakeholders, especially parents, assist in student academic and personal success
Cons: always facing budget constraints and/or challenges
SDUSD's Parent Outreach and Engagement Department is a great place to work, particularly if one values parent and community engagement.
Productive and fun place to work, unstable work hours, slow or no advancement
SIS Site Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: increasing healhcare cost
A typical day at work involves assisting internal and external stakeholders on all levels with direction, inquiries, reports, student scheduling, Power Point Helpful Tip Information slides, preparing, progress, or semester report cards, printing student transcripts for college entrance, instructing parents in person or over the phone on the use of ParentConnection, which allows them an web based of – more... students homework assignments, attendance, and marks, preparing an cross year reference academic excel spreadsheet for administration, printing Benchmark customized student test sheets, grading test, printing class rosters for counselors.

The hardest part of the job is completing assignments within a limited time frame working only 20 hours per week.

Although chances of bumping to a new school site is always eminent, it is the most enjoyable part of the job because learning to apply current skills differently to meet the demands of a new school campus is a unique challenge that I enjoy; s well as interacting with the diversity of cultures, age groups, and intellect of people around me. – less
Working with School aged children
Guidance Counselor Assistant (Former Employee), san Diego,caFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: seeing happy children
Cons: lay-offs due to budget cuts.
I enjoyed the time I spent with SDUSD, I thought the staff was a awesome group of people.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Great benefits, long hours, great kids, nice to have summers off & holidays.
Great work atmosphere
Special Education Technician (Former Employee), 4100 Normal Street, San Diego, Ca 92103January 6, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: on call position
Working with these children and young adults was extremely rewarding. There are so many adjectives to describe this job: chaotic at times, fast pace, rewarding, fun, I could go on forever. This job was also an on-call as needed based position. I was very fortunate to be able to go back to school full-time.
Rewarding environment to work in
Child Development Center Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 29, 2013
Pros: get to play with kids
Cons: lost my full time and my benefits
My job assignment is to work with children and teacher to help them succeed in their education. My tasks are to observe the children for their yearly assessments, to keep the environment clean and safe and to follow state licensing regulations. Overall this job has taught me patience and the skills to help our young children problem solve and be self assured.
The hardest part of my job is knowing that it isn't stable. Every year we go through changes due to the budget cuts. However, the most enjoyable part is watching a child spell their name or count to 20 and seeing their proud faces.
Rewarding and fun job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 19, 2013
Securing rooms and buildings, cleaning designated areas, reporting any suspicious or unlawful activity to police.
love to cook food
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 16, 2013
Pros: coking, interacting with the children
Cons: got to hot in kitchen needed air to circulate
cooking,cleaning,inventory,cashier,customer service,take orders
Workplace was productive and provides daily career challenges
Budget & Finance Manager (Admin. Assist II) (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 13, 2013
Pros: 11 month employment - with 1 month off during summer
Cons: no rewards for loyalty on a vested employee.
During my time with this employer, I never had a dull moment. I enjoyed the variety of tasks assigned because it gave me the opportunity to grow my knowledge and skills. I began as School Secretary and due to the demand of increasing job responsibilities I was promoted to Office Manager and then to Budget and Finance Manager.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers as we became a family. The hardest part of my job was the task of reducing staff and reduction of materials and supplies. Eliminating student programs as a result of the reduction in funding from the California Department of Education.

The most enjoyable part of my job was securing grants to replace lost funding from public funds. I also enjoyed resolving financial challenges resulting in a positive outcome.
Productive day meeting all cleaning standards of the plant and keeping the school safe, clean and funtional
BUILDING SERVICES SUPERVISOR II (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 6, 2013
Pros: great benefits, holidays and weekends off
Cons: must be able to lift 55lbs or more
A typical work day for me was to open up school site in preparation for business day. I would check the cleanliness of the campus as well as clean my areas.I also assisted teachers and staff members in ordering for their classroom other business needs. I enjoyed working around the children and keeping the campus safe, clean and sanitized. All the waw from the classroom , lunchroom, bathroom, and playground
Rewarding work environment that allowed me to assist children and families.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Porter ElementaryOctober 22, 2013
Rewarding work environment that allowed me to assist children and families.
9 to 5 job, no room for advancement
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: solid work hours.
Cons: budget cuts and layoffs.
General maintenance oversight, ensure city codes and safety regulations met. Reported complete work and documentation to supervisor. Assisted training new employees.

San Diego Unified School District Salaries