San Diego Unified School District

San Diego Unified School District Employer Reviews

Workplace was productive and provides daily career challenges
Budget & Finance Manager (Admin. Assist II) (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 13, 2013
Pros: 11 month employment - with 1 month off during summer
Cons: no rewards for loyalty on a vested employee.
During my time with this employer, I never had a dull moment. I enjoyed the variety of tasks assigned because it gave me the opportunity to grow my knowledge and skills. I began as School Secretary and due to the demand of increasing job responsibilities I was promoted to Office Manager and then to Budget and Finance Manager.

I enjoyed working with – more... my coworkers as we became a family. The hardest part of my job was the task of reducing staff and reduction of materials and supplies. Eliminating student programs as a result of the reduction in funding from the California Department of Education.

The most enjoyable part of my job was securing grants to replace lost funding from public funds. I also enjoyed resolving financial challenges resulting in a positive outcome. – less
Productive day meeting all cleaning standards of the plant and keeping the school safe, clean and funtional
BUILDING SERVICES SUPERVISOR II (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 6, 2013
Pros: great benefits, holidays and weekends off
Cons: must be able to lift 55lbs or more
A typical work day for me was to open up school site in preparation for business day. I would check the cleanliness of the campus as well as clean my areas.I also assisted teachers and staff members in ordering for their classroom other business needs. I enjoyed working around the children and keeping the campus safe, clean and sanitized. All the waw – more... from the classroom , lunchroom, bathroom, and playground – less
Rewarding work environment that allowed me to assist children and families.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Porter ElementaryOctober 22, 2013
Rewarding work environment that allowed me to assist children and families.
9 to 5 job, no room for advancement
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: solid work hours.
Cons: budget cuts and layoffs.
General maintenance oversight, ensure city codes and safety regulations met. Reported complete work and documentation to supervisor. Assisted training new employees.
Its all about the children!
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: healthcare, vacation time, joys of teaching children
Cons: uncertainty, salary, stress
I have been working for many years with this district. The children make it all worthwhile. It can, at any moment be a very stressful job. Young children are a joy but they all have their own personality and life experiences. With any given day including up to 24 little ones, seasons of illnesses and the initial separation anxiety, I find myself often – more... mentally and physically drained at the end of each day.

The salary does not make up for how much work is required or the stress the job might cause but that is not the main reason for being in this field. Watching the children grow and develop mentally and physically is the largest reward.

What I disliked the most in my 16 years here, is how the heads of the district moved everyone around in a moments notice. This being after they told us we would no longer have a job. After the battle over the budget was settled in 2012, the district heads moved mostly everyone to different locations. This disrupted the flow of consistency we had in my last classroom. The children and the staff were comfortably in one accord. Now that I am at a different site, I have difficulties getting that good flow going with the new staff. The children are much easier to find that good flow with, I would say its just a gift of mine.

I do love what I do! That has been my choice even as a child. Work with and develop the children. It's all about the children! – less
Excellent Job security
Instuctional Behavior Tech (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: weekends and holidays off
Cons: no free lunch
What I love most about this job; Is the work schedule which allowed me to be very flexible. working with young students/ high school has allowed me to not only give back to our future generation but enhance my ability to be extremely effective in an educational environment. There are some challenges as in any job, personality conflicts personal crisis – more... that require more patience and understanding one's personal needs. – less
Alot of work no play
Custodian (Former Employee), San Diego CA.July 13, 2013
Pros: paid well
Cons: alot of work
it was a good job and paid well but the poor communication between supervisors and employees. A lot of politics.
Good place to work for.
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 4, 2013
Assisting schools to help children. Got to know all the different grants available for schools. Management provides a very supportive role. Co-workers help one another.
Great students and staff, no work
30-Day Emergency Teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 1, 2013
The budget cuts made it impossible to earn a living after 5 years.
Food Service
Food Server (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 23, 2013
Pros: free lunch, health benefits
Cons: lack of job security, few hours
My co-workers were very fun to work with. There were always budget cuts; positions were always being dropped, hours were cut.
Productive and Great place to work
Classified Substitute (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMay 22, 2013
Pros: free lunch, a lot of activities
Cons: short breaks
Work with students is one of the most harder but at the same time fun. You have to prepare them for the future. All staff are very nice people with good manners.
Education, to all around...
Sub/Teachers Aide/Staff/Mail Courier (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 16, 2013
Pros: great people, diversity, networks
Cons: low pay, low job security
Learning while teaching, teaching while learning. Being adaptable and realizing a calling and that some don't get the credit for helping the future of children. Witnessing the day to day battle for families get an education for there children, and the lengths at which teachers are the most under-rated of civil servants.
Hours have been cut
Teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 9, 2013
Pros: morning hours
Cons: healthcare
I enjoy working as a teacher, with my co-workers and my job is very enjoyable. Currently my hours are 3 to four hours a day,
I'm forced to search for a full time job.
Good working environment
Network Media Support Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 15, 2013
A typical day at work for me as a Network Media and Support Technician includes playing daily bulletins via the schools public announcement system and handling various computer-related issues. I believe the hardest part of my job is to keep the problems at a manageable level since I'm the only network technician at the two schools I'm assigned to.
Great place to work.
Instructional Aide (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 15, 2012
I like this job but there's always budget cut that come suddenly and you can loose your position.
Overall great organization to work for
Behavior Support Specialist (Current Employee), San DiegoOctober 29, 2012
Pros: amazing benefits and several opportunities to save for retirement!!!
Cons: limited advancement opportunities
A typical day would be consulting with district staff and students in an educational setting to assess the need for behavior support services; provide methodologies and strategies when necessary regarding behavior modification/management. My manager is awesome because you can kid with her but also get down to business when necessary. She is also very – more... honest and straight forward. My co-workers are awesome as well. The hardest part about the job is dealing with personnel that are resistant to change and not working for the benefit of the students. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility, educational/collaborative/networking opportunities, and working with students. – less
Productive, great place to work with excellent benefits packages.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2012
Pros: four hour breaks in between routes.
Cons: summer breaks were too long, with no income.
A typical day at work would be to do bus inspections, drive daily routes, and logging of daily activities. I have learned great work ethics here, and respect for company policies, and for co-workers as well. This job also taught me the importance of being on time and running routes in a timely, yet safe manner, with safety coming first. I was a part – more... of a great team. The hardest part of the job was having to be in traffic, a broken down bus, or other diverse situations on the road with children on the bus, especially angry parents approaching me when their child's bus was not on time, but I always got through it calmly, working well under pressure. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to get through whatever obstacles were put before me, and ending the day with every one of the students being safe and sound. To me that was very rewarding. – less
A good experience for many years
Special Education Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2012
Pros: hours
The days Monday through Friday were filled with unexpected situations, I say this because most of the time the students that filled the class room were never the same ones. One of the most important things I learned, while working for the school district was too have a lot of patience with the students. I worked with many students for more than 10 years – more... and came away with a new understanding about education in America.

The Principals were all good managers in there own right.. I never saw anything that I thought would be against the policies of the schools..

My co-workers all were okay in the way they went about there assigned postions.. I never associated with any of them outside work. There was one person that I met after school hours and this was to go and watch horse racing.. We were both into loving the sport of horses..

There was never a part of the postion as an educator thart I would classify as harder than another part. The same for what was considered the most enjoyable.. All the years that I was employed by the district were all enjoyable ones, right up to the time I decided to go on and do something else.. – less
Great schools and staff.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2012
Pros: amazing staff and daily assignments available on various campuses.
Cons: budget cuts and not being able to secure a permanent teaching position.
Being a visiting teacher for the San Diego Unified School District can be both rewarding and challenging at the same time. A typical day of work can consist of being surrounded by loving children, executing engaging lesson plans, teaching children memorable lessons and receiving wonderful support from the SDUSD staff. SDUSD pays substitute teachers – more... pretty well and we have the chance to work on various campuses with a broad demographic. On that note, some areas can be a little rough but those are the places that you’re needed the most. When working for the SDUSD, you are not only teaching the children but learning from them as well. – less
Great job but, cutbacks
Theatre Media Technical Assistant (Former Employee), San DiegoAugust 30, 2012
Good Job, only left because my family moved. would still be working there if i lived there.