San Diego Unified School District

San Diego Unified School District Employer Reviews

Great Educational Environment
Teacher (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: managing individuals and students
Cons: the parking at a city school was challenging at times.
Fast paced and very communicative.

I learned Organization, Communication, group, and team.

Management was very effective and management at school environments is team oriented and aims towards common goals.

The hardest part of the job was engaging large groups of students as a new teacher.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be communication with co-workers and managing individuals.
I wish this could have been a permanent position.
Intern (Paid) (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: was only an internship
Great work environment. I learned that changing your task or duties every week or so helps keep you sane and loving your job !
Productive, family-centered department that encourages community outreach and connections; strengthens relationships between staff, community,students
Professional Expert (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: dedicated to helping all stakeholders, especially parents, assist in student academic and personal success
Cons: always facing budget constraints and/or challenges
SDUSD's Parent Outreach and Engagement Department is a great place to work, particularly if one values parent and community engagement.
Productive and fun place to work, unstable work hours, slow or no advancement
SIS Site Technician (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: work life balance
Cons: increasing healhcare cost
A typical day at work involves assisting internal and external stakeholders on all levels with direction, inquiries, reports, student scheduling, Power Point Helpful Tip Information slides, preparing, progress, or semester report cards, printing student transcripts for college entrance, instructing parents in person or over the phone on the use of ParentConnection, which allows them an web based of students homework assignments, attendance, and marks, preparing an cross year reference academic excel spreadsheet for administration, printing Benchmark customized student test sheets, grading test, printing class rosters for counselors.

The hardest part of the job is completing assignments within a limited time frame working only 20 hours per week.

Although chances of bumping to a new school site is always eminent, it is the most enjoyable part of the job because learning to apply current skills differently to meet the demands of a new school campus is a unique challenge that I enjoy; s well as interacting with the diversity of cultures, age groups, and intellect of people around me.
Working with School aged children
Guidance Counselor Assistant (Former Employee), san Diego,caFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: seeing happy children
Cons: lay-offs due to budget cuts.
I enjoyed the time I spent with SDUSD, I thought the staff was a awesome group of people.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2014
Great benefits, long hours, great kids, nice to have summers off & holidays.
Great work atmosphere
Special Education Technician (Former Employee), 4100 Normal Street, San Diego, Ca 92103January 6, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: on call position
Working with these children and young adults was extremely rewarding. There are so many adjectives to describe this job: chaotic at times, fast pace, rewarding, fun, I could go on forever. This job was also an on-call as needed based position. I was very fortunate to be able to go back to school full-time.
Rewarding environment to work in
Child Development Center Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 29, 2013
Pros: get to play with kids
Cons: lost my full time and my benefits
My job assignment is to work with children and teacher to help them succeed in their education. My tasks are to observe the children for their yearly assessments, to keep the environment clean and safe and to follow state licensing regulations. Overall this job has taught me patience and the skills to help our young children problem solve and be self assured.
The hardest part of my job is knowing that it isn't stable. Every year we go through changes due to the budget cuts. However, the most enjoyable part is watching a child spell their name or count to 20 and seeing their proud faces.
Rewarding and fun job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 19, 2013
Securing rooms and buildings, cleaning designated areas, reporting any suspicious or unlawful activity to police.
love to cook food
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 16, 2013
Pros: coking, interacting with the children
Cons: got to hot in kitchen needed air to circulate
cooking,cleaning,inventory,cashier,customer service,take orders
Workplace was productive and provides daily career challenges
Budget & Finance Manager (Admin. Assist II) (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 13, 2013
Pros: 11 month employment - with 1 month off during summer
Cons: no rewards for loyalty on a vested employee.
During my time with this employer, I never had a dull moment. I enjoyed the variety of tasks assigned because it gave me the opportunity to grow my knowledge and skills. I began as School Secretary and due to the demand of increasing job responsibilities I was promoted to Office Manager and then to Budget and Finance Manager.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers as we became a family. The hardest part of my job was the task of reducing staff and reduction of materials and supplies. Eliminating student programs as a result of the reduction in funding from the California Department of Education.

The most enjoyable part of my job was securing grants to replace lost funding from public funds. I also enjoyed resolving financial challenges resulting in a positive outcome.
Productive day meeting all cleaning standards of the plant and keeping the school safe, clean and funtional
BUILDING SERVICES SUPERVISOR II (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 6, 2013
Pros: great benefits, holidays and weekends off
Cons: must be able to lift 55lbs or more
A typical work day for me was to open up school site in preparation for business day. I would check the cleanliness of the campus as well as clean my areas.I also assisted teachers and staff members in ordering for their classroom other business needs. I enjoyed working around the children and keeping the campus safe, clean and sanitized. All the waw from the classroom , lunchroom, bathroom, and playground
Rewarding work environment that allowed me to assist children and families.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Porter ElementaryOctober 22, 2013
Rewarding work environment that allowed me to assist children and families.
9 to 5 job, no room for advancement
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: solid work hours.
Cons: budget cuts and layoffs.
General maintenance oversight, ensure city codes and safety regulations met. Reported complete work and documentation to supervisor. Assisted training new employees.
Its all about the children!
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: healthcare, vacation time, joys of teaching children
Cons: uncertainty, salary, stress
I have been working for many years with this district. The children make it all worthwhile. It can, at any moment be a very stressful job. Young children are a joy but they all have their own personality and life experiences. With any given day including up to 24 little ones, seasons of illnesses and the initial separation anxiety, I find myself often mentally and physically drained at the end of each day.

The salary does not make up for how much work is required or the stress the job might cause but that is not the main reason for being in this field. Watching the children grow and develop mentally and physically is the largest reward.

What I disliked the most in my 16 years here, is how the heads of the district moved everyone around in a moments notice. This being after they told us we would no longer have a job. After the battle over the budget was settled in 2012, the district heads moved mostly everyone to different locations. This disrupted the flow of consistency we had in my last classroom. The children and the staff were comfortably in one accord. Now that I am at a different site, I have difficulties getting that good flow going with the new staff. The children are much easier to find that good flow with, I would say its just a gift of mine.

I do love what I do! That has been my choice even as a child. Work with and develop the children. It's all about the children!
Excellent Job security
Instuctional Behavior Tech (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: weekends and holidays off
Cons: no free lunch
What I love most about this job; Is the work schedule which allowed me to be very flexible. working with young students/ high school has allowed me to not only give back to our future generation but enhance my ability to be extremely effective in an educational environment. There are some challenges as in any job, personality conflicts personal crisis that require more patience and understanding one's personal needs.
Alot of work no play
Custodian (Former Employee), San Diego CA.July 13, 2013
Pros: paid well
Cons: alot of work
it was a good job and paid well but the poor communication between supervisors and employees. A lot of politics.
Good place to work for.
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 4, 2013
Assisting schools to help children. Got to know all the different grants available for schools. Management provides a very supportive role. Co-workers help one another.
Great students and staff, no work
30-Day Emergency Teacher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 1, 2013
The budget cuts made it impossible to earn a living after 5 years.
Food Service
Food Server (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 23, 2013
Pros: free lunch, health benefits
Cons: lack of job security, few hours
My co-workers were very fun to work with. There were always budget cuts; positions were always being dropped, hours were cut.

San Diego Unified School District Salaries