San Diego Unified School District Employee Reviews

Excellent district to work for.
Library Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2017
The San Diego School district is an excellent place to work. Great people and many opportunities for development professionally. It is also in the main metropolitan area.
Pros
The opportunities for professionals are great.
Cons
Too extensive and covers a big area.
Productive and fun place to work
Children Center Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 18, 2017
I love helping families in the enrollment process, and being able to help a family to get a job, or go to school by having a place to leave their children safe and secure at the children center that I worked at. I learned that working with different cultures is fun, and a learning experience. The hardest part of my job, is not being able to enrolled a child because of the process, and guidelines of the program. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different people every day, and learned something new all the time, and having my second family at work environment.
Pros
Learning something new all the time, trainings and new programs
Cons
budget cuts.
Loved my job!
Adapted Physical Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 8, 2017
Because of budget cuts, I have been given a pink slip. I am very disappointed that I am being laid off. I received great reviews. I am involved in the professional learning committee for APE.
Pros
Multiple schools that are serviced; great supervisors
Cons
Traffic
Licensed Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 7, 2017
It was a great place to work, enjoyed the work, my co-workers and the students. Great learning occurs and continues at this job. Awesome place to work.
great co-workers
Rehabilitation Specialist Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 4, 2017
Productive and fun work environment. need more support from upper management and better incentives for employees that further their education. The students are great
Pros
vacation and sick time with paid holidays
Cons
leadership
Helping kids with physical and mental disabilities is so rewarding
Special Education Para Educator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 2, 2017
A typical day is showing kids successful learning strategies that they can use to be successful in school despite learning, or behavior challenges. I help prompt and model procedures in otherwise frustrating tasks such as reading, matching and placing objects. Other staff are supportive and helpful to help students be successful. The hardest part of the job is when a student decides he isn't good enough to be successful. The most enjoyable part is convincing a student to do the best job possible and seeing them graduate.
Pros
support staff
Cons
no staff lockers
San Diego Unified School District is a large bureaucracy
Spanish Teacher, English Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 31, 2017
Working for the district for over 20 years I have seen the good side of it as well as the downside.
Day to day classroom teaching is great the kids are wonderful
The workplace culture at the sites I was at was very cooperative among teachers.

The hardest part of the job was the political games played by administration.

Most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students learn.
Pros
Steady reliable place to work with great benefits.
Cons
Political infighting and favoritism. Administration leads by fear and intimidation
Loads of resources
Speech and Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2017
Loads of resources for continuing education and for help in anything, including free professional development training, online resources, free material, bilingual specialists, AT specialists, DHH specialists, multiple clinical supervisors (I had 2), professional learning committees, and more!
Educational Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 28, 2017
Good employer, must love working with kids to get you through the down days. Opportunities are based on strength of relationships within the district and school sites.
Pros
Great kids and staff
Cons
salary
Exciting
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 12, 2017
Responsible for all operational activities of two Charter Schools. Duties include payroll reporting and processing, preparing and monitoring annual budget, timely preparing state/federal reports, negotiating with service providers, purchasing and warehousing, preparing P&L, A/P and AIR, HR, Risk Management, monitoring investment, and supervising staff
Pros
growth opprtunity
Cons
too bearauratic
Satisfying Job Very Rewarding
Special Education Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 27, 2017
This job requires both hard work,physical and mental.You have to think quick, it requires patience. If you enjoy special needs children this is the job for you. Every day is an opportunity to teach them and you look forward to going to work. Special Ed kids have such warm hearts and once you build up a relationship their is no love greater than the appreciation and love they give back.
Pros
Stable work, Warm Hearts
Cons
Very difficult children sometimes
A great place to work, quality preschool for all children
Child Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2017
San Diego Unified School District has been and continues to be a great place of work. Children from all walks of life and their families. It has been a great experience to serve this community and learned along the way new and better strategies to help children in their different areas of development.
Pros
Support from leaders such as School Principal, resource teachers and very qualified staff.
Cons
State Funded Program (low funds)
No promising future
Child Development Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2017
Always look forward to layoffs at least every 2 to 4 years. All based on seniority, takes years to advance to Full-time position as pre-k assistant better off being a substitute.
positive fun school with happy kids and happy staff
1 on 1 Para educator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2017
A typical day at work consists of, preparing thigs to do with the children for the day, assisting them with hygiene care, academics and making them feel important, we strive to lead by example and practice everyday life skills with the children daily!
Pros
company discounts, staff parking, and networking
Rehabilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 91911January 24, 2017
It was a 40 hour work week that included overtime when needed. Management was good and supportive most of the time. Staff were professional,creative and hard working.
Pros
Being part of the social committee and doing interactive activities with the students.
Great School District
Specific Education Behavior Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2016
35 yrs working with children,some with Special needs. I have watched children grow to successful adults in society,I have impacted many lives.The San Diego Unified School District gave me the opportunity to take a step and make a difference in a child's life.I have accomplished that by working for the San Diego Unified School District.
Pros
Long vacation breaks.
Cons
Going back to work when you have a month off on break.
Kitchen worked well with my co-workers
kitchen aid or a janitor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 27, 2016
Set up lunch carts for the high school students
Handle the cashiering resulting from the carts.
Management was always helpful
Enjoy my co-workers
The hardest part is dealing with disruptive high school students
Relax environment
Pros
free lunches
Cons
fast pace
Second largest school district in California
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY II (CONFIDENTIAL) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 24, 2016
Clerical duties (answering phones, scheduling meetings, data entry, department timekeeper and webmaster, process grievances, and on the negotiating team.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
At will
didnt work there long
VISITING TEACHER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2016
substitute teacher tonsistentlyhere can be good and bad days maynot work consistently but I had a pretty good experience and the other teachers were very helpful
Fun Day at the School
Librarian (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 3, 2016
For a day at the school it will always start with the kids having breakfast. I reply to any necessary emails. I will then start getting classes. We will read a book and the kids will then check out one of their own.
Pros
interaction with different people of different ages
Cons
needing 30 more mins of work to get benefits