San Diego Union-Tribune Employee Reviews

productive, and fun.
Trainer of new employees of packing department (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 12, 2017
Like cross training on all aspect of work stations, team player, people person and hard worker. Fast paced work environment, quality oriented. the job requires a deadline ability to meet those deadlines day in day out was enjoyable.
Pros
team work
Cons
Slackers
worked at home
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 23, 2017
typical day at work started at 8am logged in to phone to take call about the newspaper. I learned how the distribution of the paper works. The hardest part of the job is not being able to deliver the paper yourself.
Pros
worked at home
Cons
available at all times
Graphic Artist
Graphic Designer/Production Artist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 30, 2017
Working at the UT was a great experience, I was able to experience working in many offices in the county, from Mission Valley to Oceanside and Sorrento Valley to San Marcos. My supervisors were very helpful, and I never had a bad experience in my 3 years of working there. The hardest part of the job was the daily deadlines and doing almost the same kind of work every week. The most enjoyable was the comaraderie and fun we had while working in a super supportive environment.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
Daily deadlines
great place to achieve my goals.
Building Engineer Tech (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 8, 2017
the U.T was a place where i learned new things that help me achieve my goals and put me where i am right now.
great people to work and were always willing to teach their knowledge.
Important Company Facing Challenges
Circulation Ops Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Friendly people. Good benefits. Coworkers worked well together, depending upon one another all the time.
But workplace could be very stressful because profitability of the company was always a concern. Very challenging business environment with declining circulation and audience. In my last 4 years there, no raises whatsoever.
Pros
High-profile company.
Cons
Frequent layoffs
job was ok but uncertain...
Senior Electromechanical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2017
After manchester took over the newsprint went downwards to eventually cut more personnel and layoff all of them...the newsprint companies had suffered to keep in bussiness and the owner coukd never find a balance even tough it was the only newsprint in San Diego.
Pros
no more company
Cons
sold it
Great while it lasted
Copy Editor, Associate Editor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 3, 2017
A great place to work, where everyone's contributions were respected. There was a great sense of teamwork. Too bad the newspaper industry is dying.
Fantastic people, great product, challenging new corp environment
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2015
This paper is a great product, and our digital offerings are amazing. Six months ago we were purchased by a large corporation and the culture and processes have all changed. Change is aways difficult, but we are getting thru it and I always encourage the team to keep a positive outlook.
Pros
the people I work with every day
Cons
no life balance
Nice place to work--good people
NEWSPRINT MANAGER / TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2015
Good place to work -- worked there 25 years good people to work with co-workers and managment last five years stressfull because of layoffs and two new owners.
enjoyed the work and co-workers
Pressman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2015
newspapers are going out of business
no longer a good career choice
only graphics designers and reporters are still working for the company
Commitment to Technology
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2015
Energetic and friendly working environment with a commitment to technology. Promoted teamwork within departments. Good place to work with great coworkers.
fun place to work
Senior IT Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2015
very cutting edge technology, people are very friendly, huge opportunity for job advancement if you're in IT as you can learn so much with constantly implemented new technology.
Pay was the only thing lacking, it is not on par with cost of living in southern california
Pros
cutting edge technology provides great learning platform
Cons
poor pay
It is a good teen job start
Door to door sales (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2015
Work was always after school so it wouldn't interfere with my education. Our supervisor always picked us up and took us to a different work area and assigned us each area. After each day of work we would count our sales for the day to know how much we would make the next week since we were paid off commission. I really learned to put my fear aside of talking to strangers and put what I was selling out there. I learned that in order to be heard or to "make a sell" you had to use your voice and sell it not just expect someone to know what it is you are trying to sell to them and buy it. I also leaned that in order to maintain a job it requires responsibility, patience, and discipline. The co-workers were always friendly and respectful but if any workers had tension it was always best to put those feelings aside for a better work atmosphere. For me I think the hardest job was the beginning, being the new person. It was like starting school but just getting paid to sell your product to people in different areas. I also thought it was hard to talk to strangers since as a child my parents always told me "Don't talk to strangers" but after a couple days I was able to put that all aside and do my work even on rough days. The most enjoyable part of the day was always the end of the day after all the sales for the day were in and we saw how much we improved and reflected on that day while we went home. At the end of the day, based on our sales, we would always make goals for ourselves in order to get further position in our job.
Pros
Free Lunch, Outside work areas
Cons
Short Breaks and limited work hours
Back biting workplace
BI Reporting Analyst / Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2015
People afraid for their jobs will do anything to keep them, including back biting of co-workers. Mgmt is worthless, very ineffective, and doesn't listen to any of the people who do the work.
Senior Medical Insurance Rrepresentative
Senior Medical Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2014
Handled and processed Medical Claims for 1300 Independent Newspaper Carriers.
Pros
Friendly fun place to work.
Terrible company if you are in sales
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
Commission only plan means the company always wins and you rarely do. No vacation time, no sick days, no 401K, and no commission unless you hit your goals which rise every month.
Pros
Free water
Cons
Terrible leadership and horrible comp plan
Worked graveyard
Custodian/Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2014
There's a lot of cleaning to do during graveyard shift.
But it was done with ease because most of the staffs are gone for the day in the office.
I learned proper use of chemicals for cleaning & trained to operate machines, equipment & forklift, too.
It was fun to work also at the publication house with all the noise from the publication machineries.
Management gave full support at the time of reduction of workforce/layoff.
Pros
with complete benefits & retirement
Great Place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2014
Great people easy enviorment alot of fun would go back if i lived in san diego
Pros
great people and conversation
Cons
Hours of operation
news paper carrier
carrier (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAFebruary 15, 2014
Its a part time job I start at 2am deliver papers to about 300 houses daily m-sunday and keep track of all stop and starts .I memerised all the addresses with in 1 month .Management was ok but sometimes they didn't have all the stuff we needed like they were short on papers and sometimes the truck delivery guy was late and we had little time to deliver but I just worked a little faster and got things done.I think the hardest part was hopeing the gas prices wiill drop I enjoyed makeing customers happy that was my goal all the time
A little old school
Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 23, 2013
I worked there many years ago and the passion for peoples jobs was lacking. Many good people. Maybe just a little burned out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Union-Tribune. Our community is ready to answer.

San Diego Union-Tribune Reviews by Location