San Diego Union-Tribune Employee Reviews in United States

Nice place to work--good people
NEWSPRINT MANAGER / TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2015
Good place to work -- worked there 25 years good people to work with co-workers and managment last five years stressfull because of layoffs and two new owners.
fun place to work
Senior IT Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 24, 2015
very cutting edge technology, people are very friendly, huge opportunity for job advancement if you're in IT as you can learn so much with constantly implemented new technology.
Pay was the only thing lacking, it is not on par with cost of living in southern california
Pros
cutting edge technology provides great learning platform
Cons
poor pay
enjoyed the work and co-workers
Pressman (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2015
newspapers are going out of business
no longer a good career choice
only graphics designers and reporters are still working for the company
Commitment to Technology
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 2, 2015
Energetic and friendly working environment with a commitment to technology. Promoted teamwork within departments. Good place to work with great coworkers.
Worked graveyard
Custodian/Building Maintenance (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2014
There's a lot of cleaning to do during graveyard shift.
But it was done with ease because most of the staffs are gone for the day in the office.
I learned proper use of chemicals for cleaning & trained to operate machines, equipment & forklift, too.
It was fun to work also at the publication house with all the noise from the publication machineries.
Management gave full support at the time of reduction of workforce/layoff.
Pros
with complete benefits & retirement
news paper carrier
carrier (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAFebruary 15, 2014
Its a part time job I start at 2am deliver papers to about 300 houses daily m-sunday and keep track of all stop and starts .I memerised all the addresses with in 1 month .Management was ok but sometimes they didn't have all the stuff we needed like they were short on papers and sometimes the truck delivery guy was late and we had little time to deliver but I just worked a little faster and got things done.I think the hardest part was hopeing the gas prices wiill drop I enjoyed makeing customers happy that was my goal all the time
Professional business oriented.
CAGE CASHIER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2013
Check in with the Renewal Retention manager. Collected stack of work load (customers) and started reviewing there account balances. Called customers to talk about there accounts. Scheduled an appointment to explain their outstanding balance. If need be, drive to customer's resident to collect their payment. At the end of the day I would process all accounts i have received payment on and adjust there information by logging into the system. Then i would extend there accounts to accommodate their renewal.
Pros
always room for advancement.
Cons
working against the clock.
Back biting workplace
BI Reporting Analyst / Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2015
People afraid for their jobs will do anything to keep them, including back biting of co-workers. Mgmt is worthless, very ineffective, and doesn't listen to any of the people who do the work.
Hard place to succeed
Retention Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 10, 2012
Circulation is a great place to stall your career. Management enjoyed screwing employees out of bonuses and took particular care to make sure that morale was as low as possible. In my time there as a manager, I constantly fought my superiors on how to take care of employees and got sick of conflicting demands.
Pros
i'm no longer there
Cons
all the rest.
Terrible company if you are in sales
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
Commission only plan means the company always wins and you rarely do. No vacation time, no sick days, no 401K, and no commission unless you hit your goals which rise every month.
Pros
free water
Cons
terrible leadership and horrible comp plan
Productive, fun place to work. Incredible marketing department and art department.
Account Executive-Outside Sales Retail (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 13, 2012
Creative place to work
Great people to work with
Very numbers driven company
Pros
when owned by copley it was a fantastic place to work.
Cons
new owners
Senior Medical Insurance Rrepresentative
Senior Medical Claim Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2014
Handled and processed Medical Claims for 1300 Independent Newspaper Carriers.
Pros
friendly fun place to work.
Great Place to work
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2014
Great people easy enviorment alot of fun would go back if i lived in san diego
Pros
great people and conversation
Cons
hours of operation
Good Work place
Packer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2013
Clock in go to your hopper and keep up with the speed of the hopper. Gotta make sure that the inserts are going in the right pockets.
A little old school
Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 23, 2013
I worked there many years ago and the passion for peoples jobs was lacking. Many good people. Maybe just a little burned out.
Productive place to work. Has a ping pong table for the employees.
Advertising (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 14, 2012
Help to meet the deadlines.
Co-workers are a great group of people.
I loved working here
Pressperson (Former Employee) –  San Diego Ca.March 6, 2012
I loved working at the U.T. The pressman were great men to work with
It is a good teen job start
Door to door sales (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 7, 2015
Work was always after school so it wouldn't interfere with my education. Our supervisor always picked us up and took us to a different work area and assigned us each area. After each day of work we would count our sales for the day to know how much we would make the next week since we were paid off commission. I really learned to put my fear aside of talking to strangers and put what I was selling out there. I learned that in order to be heard or to "make a sell" you had to use your voice and sell it not just expect someone to know what it is you are trying to sell to them and buy it. I also leaned that in order to maintain a job it requires responsibility, patience, and discipline. The co-workers were always friendly and respectful but if any workers had tension it was always best to put those feelings aside for a better work atmosphere. For me I think the hardest job was the beginning, being the new person. It was like starting school but just getting paid to sell your product to people in different areas. I also thought it was hard to talk to strangers since as a child my parents always told me "Don't talk to strangers" but after a couple days I was able to put that all aside and do my work even on rough days. The most enjoyable part of the day was always the end of the day after all the sales for the day were in and we saw how much we improved and reflected on that day while we went home. At the end of the day, based on our sales, we would always make goals for ourselves in order to get further position in our job.
Pros
free lunch, outside work areas
Cons
short breaks and limited work hours

San Diego Union-Tribune Reviews by Location