San Diego Zoo Global Employee Reviews

Great team, flexible hours, competitive pay
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2017
I like working at the Zoo overall. It is nice and friendly environment. I work with a really good team that is always willing to help. Workplace culture is outdated and old fashion in it's grooming polices and work from home flexibility but nothing exceptional comparing to other industries that have decided to stay behind such as hotels.
The lack of diversity at upper management, executives and trustees stands out.
Pros
Nice environment, animal education, good benefits and PTO.
Cons
Lack of diversity at higher management, executives & trustees.
Was a wonderful work enviroment
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Volcano, HIAugust 18, 2017
I would rate this company as poor due to two months after being brought and and relocating to HI, my position was eliminated due to lack of funding and budget cuts.
Fun place to work
Guest Ambassador (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2017
great management and an exciting work environment. Different jobs each day to keep you from getting bored. On slow days you could find yourself standing around a lot.
Pros
long break
Great management, Horrible Advancement
Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2017
I love this job, the people, the managers, the culture. However there is no room for advancement here. You get a job and you are stuck in this position for 10+ years before you can even change departments. The schedule here is not at all flexible, they have set times and there is no room for change. All of the employees have worked here for 20+ years so they take all of the good schedules and your left with the scrapes, even if you do the majority of the work.
Pros
Working with animals, culture is great, managers, benefits
Cons
Seniority, no advancement, overall laziness of older employees
Excellent corp to work for
Food/Merchandise Lead Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 21, 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job is working for a company that gives back to the environment and animals. I have learned a lot about management and the responsibilities that come with it like delegating employees, and understanding different perspectives.
Fine jewelry, and great product knowledge
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 1, 2017
Great company, with a vast selection of fine jewelry in all categories. Things have changed since my employment with them, and I believe for the better. A large company with many benefits.
Labor-intense field work but very rewarding in the end
Fellow (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CASeptember 5, 2016
Lots of intense labor in the field but very rewarding when looking at the grand scheme of things. Learned a lot in a short period of time.
A typical day at work may range from planting plants for habitat restoration from 7am to 3pm, or monitoring vegetation diversity and collecting specimens.
Pros
Free access to the zoo
Cons
Heavy labor under harsh weather conditions and terrain
Overall great working environment
retail /food serice clerk (Current Employee) –  poppys patioAugust 15, 2016
SDZG is a great organization ,treats team members amazingly well, great benefits , works around school schedule.
great pay .and oppurtunities to advance
amazing place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92101June 16, 2016
amazing place to work, They give you the right training managers are always there to help you with anything, a lot of room for advancement
Pros
able to work your way up
Cons
hours are so bad when holidays and summer is over
Great Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAMarch 20, 2016
Although it as a conservation organization, the San Diego Zoo is at the end of the day a business. There are needs that must be fulfilled which provides many opportunities for experts of different fields from marketing to payroll to operations management, and then the obvious of animal and plant care. They provide amazing benefits, from monetary to gifts to health, etc. A great place to work for sure!
Great Place to Work
B&G Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 21, 2015
Great Environment and a overall fun place to work at, great working hours if you don't mind waking up early and the work is fast paced.
Amazing work environment with fair wages and the ability to advance quickly
Ticketing Agent (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 20, 2015
A typical day of work at the San Diego Zoo for me include ticket selling, handling large amounts of cash and credit reports, qualifying guests for yearly memberships, and administering tickets for special events. The management team is highly knowledgable as well as helpful. They strive for each individuals person growth. I very much enjoyed the company of each and every coworker in my department.
Pros
Provided lunches, Award ceremonies, Excellent management staff, Ability to advance
Cons
Shortage of hours, constant overtime, large amounts of guests daily
Rewarding and challenging
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 19, 2015
Create goals and supervise all on-site daily activities for seasonal staff, volunteers and full time staff(8-20 people)
Develop and implement a policies and procedures training manual for staff, volunteers and biologists, focused on: professional conduct, government operating standards, emergency and first aid, biosecurity protocols, husbandry/handling techniques, biological sampling and storage.
Manage dispositions and health status of nearly 3000 desert tortoises using Access database system and Excel; compile and organize data and related reports for presentation and/or professional publication. Provide education to the general public regarding proper captive desert tortoise care.
Write educational blogs and submit professional photographs for publication on the San Diego Zoo Global website.
Pros
collaborate with like minded professionals toward a common goal of wildlife recovery.
Fun Place to work at, met all types of people from all different backgrounds.
Food Clerk/Cashier/Catering/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 14, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of Preping fresh food/produce and have it ready by our operating time.

I learned about food and health safety,how to handle large crowd of tourists that didnt really know how to speak english very well but a smile is the same in every language.

Learned how to manage my time wisely.

I overcame all the tasks i thought were to be hard after a few months of working there.

The most enjoyable part of working at the Zoo was taking a few of my Family members that Never visited :)
Pros
3 free Zoo/Sea World tickets every month
Cons
Short Breaks
You'll enjoy your coworkers... that's about it
Ticket Seller (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 8, 2014
although the zoo IS a conservation organization and does good for many many animals and plant life around the world, working there isn't something you'd plan on doing unless it's a summer job.

working there, I realized that it's only fun because of your coworkers. The hours are rare, your guaranteed 4 hours a day but only about 2 days out of the work week. And although they rarely schedule you any hours, they demand first priority. You have to get it approved if you want to get a second job and weekends and holidays belong to them.

the pay is good... during the summer and peak seasons. other than that the work environment is professional and casual at the same time and working there is a lot of fun, if you get along with everyone.
Pros
50% off food, free tickets
Great Organization to work for
Africa Tram Tour Guide/Driver (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2014
fun smart like minded people working for a great organization
Love working at the zoo!
Sales and Marketing (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2014
Great place to work, although the pay is not the best, the people are great and so are the animals.
The schedule is flexible.
Lead Skyfari Operator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 30, 2013
My job is ideal while you are in college because of the flexible schedule. I have learned to be able to deal with a large amount of people a day, and their various requests. My coworkers are probably the best part of my job. My job is physically difficult, and it is a stable job. However, there is no room for growth. I enjoy being outside and mobile, and all of the regular guests that come daily.
Pros
Healthcare, Flexible schedule.
Cons
Lack of hours, no room for advancement.
Productive and fun workplace, very educational
Merchandising Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2013
I loved working at the zoo because there was great communication, management, atmosphere, and everything else you could think of. It was a very fun job where on your break you could go see polar bears while also getting along with everyone because everyone was so nice and the management was very active in the eployees.
Pros
fun, educational, great management and team.
Cons
it wa sonly a seasoal position, no room for advancement
fun place to work
Park Aide (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2012
worked through summer zoo and it was very crowded and very tiring.