San Diego Zoo

San Diego Zoo Employer Reviews

Husbandry needs for endangered birds
Intern/Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: on site housing available for interns
Cons: $100/week stipend
Perform daily husbandry needs and prepare diets for critically endangered bird species of Hawaii. Repetitive work day in and out but for a good cause.
great work place
Merchandise Clerk (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: great discounts
leads are always there to help you out. customers are always happy and friendly. co workers are great and reliable.
Fun place to work while acomplishing daily goals
Clerk, Lead San Diego Zoo (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch, good healthcare
From the minute you go in to work everyone greets you. We have a great managment and i always try to keep myself busy even when business isn't what we wanted it to be. Hardest part is dealing with very difficult customers but we learn from every customer we help.
Potentially Fun Place, Bad Management Practices
Retail Sales Clerk (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: location, perks.
Cons: very few scheduled hours, unprofessional behavior in managers.
Typical complains about Wal-Mart are that the employees are not in a union, and that the wages keep people in poverty. After working more than eight years for this company let me tell you that things are not that different here.

We pay union fees, but that doesn't mean much for I still do not get more than 25 hours a week, regardless of season (busy – more... or slow). I do not have benefits, and my yearly income is below poverty level.

There's a lot of pros to working for this company, your co-workers are great, you meet people from ALL over the world, and you work at great location.

Management however is under a great deal of pressure to cut labor at any cost, as I said above, you will not get more than 25 hours a week working in most of the merchandise locations with very few exceptions.

Management can also go from respectful, to highly unprofessional, some managers yell and talk down to their employees, while others will respond to complains or issues you bring up by reducing your hours. Raising issues in anyway, no matter how valid or professional you do it is seen as highly undesirable. The general idea is that those who do are whiners and complainers.

Even though asking for more scheduled hours from a company you have been working in for more than 8 years is neither whining, nor complaining. – less
Best Place on earth
Merchandise Sales Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: free entrance to the zoo
Cons: no benefits, low pay
How to deal with customers face-to-face.
Learned to be flexible with work schedules.
Was able to visit animals
busy work environment.
Fun Fun.
Cashier (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 19, 2014
Pros: discount and free admission
Love working at the zoo and the employees are awsome. Learned to be a team leader. Management are awsome. Easy job. The animals and people.
Ticket Seller (Former Employee), san diego, caApril 6, 2014
productive and fun workplace
It is a very well structured company with great workers
Cash Tech (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: worked in zoo
Cons: was in door
Its awesome place to work. You get to see all the animals everyday. super fun
Extrememly Fun Volunteer Work!
Interpretive Volunteer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: discounted lunches in the break room
Cons: no pay
San Diego Zoo is just fun! For whoever loves animals, theme parks and outdoors, you would love this job!

I loved meeting people from all over the world, assisting them with their day if they didn't know what they wanted to see, and just LOVED the other volunteers.

My favorite job was being an interpretive Volunteer, getting to know about the animals, – more... and sharing facts about theme to guests at each exhibit! – less
Fun Work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2014
• Catered to out of town visitors, maintaining a positive attitude as an ambassador to the zoo and city
• Prepared individual food orders and bulk containers of ingredients for the attraction’s restaurants
• Inventoried and restocked preparation and service supplies, and food ingredients for the next shift
• Maintained food preparation and service areas – more... in pristine condition, ready for customers at all times – less
...
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Very Adventurous place to work. Exciting seeing all the animals and being able to work so close to the animals.
Fun, and productive
Team Member (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2013
A typical work day was serving costumers, handling cash , always having a smile on my face , cleaning, food prep, ect
The management and coworkers were amazing, such a fun but scheduled environment. I would recommend this job to many people who love to be in a high energetic environment with great people . a place were you will enjoy your job.
Exciting, very busy workplace with occasional encounters with wildlife.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: fun, creative, and rewarding work
Cons: often too busy to enjoy a break
Most Enjoyable Part of My Job: Knowing that my work benefits the lives of San Diego Zoo's and San Diego Zoo's Safari Park animal collection, as well as endangered species around the world.
I am a Great Worker
Food Service (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: free meal
Cons: no healtcare
I had work for San Diego Zoo and I have fun work there. My bosses was very easy and easy to work with. My Co-worker they are best people that I have work with. I learn how work hot and cold meal and clean floor and make things. The best thing that enjoy about the San Diego Zoo is that you meet new people and have fun with them.
Working with people
Food Service, Cashier (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2013
Fun,how to be very helpful,we had fun,clean up,greeting people.
You get to see all animals and all people of the world
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2013
You work hard and fast at the Zoo,you deal with all walks of the world. you get to see all animals
fun enviroment
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: free zoo tickets, sea world tickets, safari tickets, free entrance to balboa museums with work id, great benefits, and free uniforms
Cons: mostly seasonal job
fun lovable fast pace place to work at. the hours were great. co workers were great, and you get to work in the outdoors and see a lot of the park
Fun, friendly working environment with opportunities for growth
Lead, Education Department (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 31, 2012
Pros: extreme flexibility, good benefits, fun people, working with exotic animals, sharing my passion!
Cons: constantly changing schedules--not good if you need predictability and reliable hours, but great if you like a challenge/change!
I have worked in the Education department at the San Diego Zoo for 10+ years, and have loved every minute of it! It is an extremely flexible environment, which I relied upon heavily when my children were small. Co-workers are supportive and are always willing to cover for one another. We get to work with and handle exotic Animal Ambassadors, and get – more... to share with the world the importance of conservation and green life choices. I have had the opportunity to learn constantly, to help out other departments (I studied parasitic diseases in graduate school; the pathology department borrows me on occasion to help out!), to head up large curriculum development projects, and to share my workplace with all sorts of visiting friends and relatives! – less
Didnt really like working there because they let the animals rome.
Merchandise Cashier (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 14, 2012
I enjoyed meeting people all over the world and seeing how fascinated people are when they come to the zoo.
childhood dream to work for
Park Aid (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 20, 2012
Pros: animals you get attach to
Cons: you cannot take the animals home
people within the United States and all alround the world
is a history lesson initself

About San Diego Zoo

Talk about animal magnetism! The Zoological Society of San Diego is a not-for-profit organization that operates the 100-acre San – Read more