San Diego Zoo

San Diego Zoo United States Employee Reviews

Great environment, iffy practices
various (Former Employee), VariousJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: fun workplace, great coworkers, awesome mission
Cons: low hours, favoritism, hard to get benefits
wonderful coworkers and decent work to be done but there is a LOT of favoritism and advancements based on how much a manager "likes" someone rather than how qualified they are.
There is also a "blacklist" for career advancement; no mistakes need to be made, it's more about whether or not you're well liked - word spreads quickly if you're not.
Its the zoo
Cashier food service (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2015
Loved being at the world famous SD ZOO walked around the park alot always something new
Fair
Park Aid (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: vast working space.
Cons: management/favoritism
The zoo was a demanding full time job, although there is obvious favoritism within the management.

Most enjoyable with the vast areas to work, and with teeming guests during the summer hours.

The only challenging part was the constant trash disposal and some of the older facilities breaking down, however is a dramatic contrast when the summer season is over, and a bulk of the employees would be laid-off.
Hmmmm
Retial/Food (Former Employee), San DiegoNovember 12, 2014
Pros: free admission to zoo & safari park, free parking @ safari park
Cons: awful management who looks down on you & complains often.
I worked over the summer at the zoo & loved it. They keep some people past seasonal & all summer I was told I was going to be one of those people. The last week of summer, I came down with bronchitis, I called into work one day hoping to feel better for the next day. When I wasn't any better, I went to the doctor who diagnosed me & gave me a note to give to my employer. I brought it in immediately, even though I could barely speak. The doctor excused me for the two days I missed, plus two days after. They demanded I get a release note from my doctor stating when I can return to work, which I did without question. All of the leads had said I was staying & I was definitely excited, until the supervisor handed me a piece of paper saying my last day was Sept 1 & I could call the week of Nov. 3rd to come back for the Christmas season.

That same supervisor told me I was unworthy of a meal when a coworker asked me if I wanted to split a sandwich & fries with her. & I was not able to eat it. But, I digress...

I called at 9am, on Monday, November 3rd, eager to get back to work. They took my name, number, what cafe I worked in & told me someone would be in contact with me by Tuesday. Wednesday rolled around & I still hadn't heard anything, so I called again. The office told me that no notes were made on my file & they would resend an email. Friday rolled around & I still hadn't received a call, so again I called. They said the same thing. Meanwhile, I was informed by an employee that they already brought back 2 people for work. Livid is an understatement. Why would you completely ignore – more... a former employee, who clearly, wants to work?! I was told I'd be contacted with a decision the following day at the latest & I still have not yet been informed. I understand that it's not very busy, they may not need more people, but they could easily pick up the phone & call me to say that.

If you like to be looked down upon, talked down to & ignored, the San Diego Zoo is the place for you! – less
Husbandry needs for endangered birds
Intern/Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2014
Pros: on site housing available for interns
Cons: $100/week stipend
Perform daily husbandry needs and prepare diets for critically endangered bird species of Hawaii. Repetitive work day in and out but for a good cause.
great work place
Merchandise Clerk (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: great discounts
leads are always there to help you out. customers are always happy and friendly. co workers are great and reliable.
Fun place to work while acomplishing daily goals
Clerk, Lead San Diego Zoo (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: free lunch, good healthcare
From the minute you go in to work everyone greets you. We have a great managment and i always try to keep myself busy even when business isn't what we wanted it to be. Hardest part is dealing with very difficult customers but we learn from every customer we help.
Potentially Fun Place, Bad Management Practices
Retail Sales Clerk (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2014
Pros: location, perks.
Cons: very few scheduled hours, unprofessional behavior in managers.
Typical complains about Wal-Mart are that the employees are not in a union, and that the wages keep people in poverty. After working more than eight years for this company let me tell you that things are not that different here.

We pay union fees, but that doesn't mean much for I still do not get more than 25 hours a week, regardless of season (busy or slow). I do not have benefits, and my yearly income is below poverty level.

There's a lot of pros to working for this company, your co-workers are great, you meet people from ALL over the world, and you work at great location.

Management however is under a great deal of pressure to cut labor at any cost, as I said above, you will not get more than 25 hours a week working in most of the merchandise locations with very few exceptions.

Management can also go from respectful, to highly unprofessional, some managers yell and talk down to their employees, while others will respond to complains or issues you bring up by reducing your hours. Raising issues in anyway, no matter how valid or professional you do it is seen as highly undesirable. The general idea is that those who do are whiners and complainers.

Even though asking for more scheduled hours from a company you have been working in for more than 8 years is neither whining, nor complaining.
Best Place on earth
Merchandise Sales Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: free entrance to the zoo
Cons: no benefits, low pay
How to deal with customers face-to-face.
Learned to be flexible with work schedules.
Was able to visit animals
busy work environment.
Fun Fun.
Cashier (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 19, 2014
Pros: discount and free admission
Love working at the zoo and the employees are awsome. Learned to be a team leader. Management are awsome. Easy job. The animals and people.
Ticket Seller (Former Employee), san diego, caApril 6, 2014
productive and fun workplace
It is a very well structured company with great workers
Cash Tech (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: worked in zoo
Cons: was in door
Its awesome place to work. You get to see all the animals everyday. super fun
Extrememly Fun Volunteer Work!
Interpretive Volunteer (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: discounted lunches in the break room
Cons: no pay
San Diego Zoo is just fun! For whoever loves animals, theme parks and outdoors, you would love this job!

I loved meeting people from all over the world, assisting them with their day if they didn't know what they wanted to see, and just LOVED the other volunteers.

My favorite job was being an interpretive Volunteer, getting to know about the animals, and sharing facts about theme to guests at each exhibit!
Fun Work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2014
• Catered to out of town visitors, maintaining a positive attitude as an ambassador to the zoo and city
• Prepared individual food orders and bulk containers of ingredients for the attraction’s restaurants
• Inventoried and restocked preparation and service supplies, and food ingredients for the next shift
• Maintained food preparation and service areas in pristine condition, ready for customers at all times
...
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Very Adventurous place to work. Exciting seeing all the animals and being able to work so close to the animals.
Fun, and productive
Team Member (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2013
A typical work day was serving costumers, handling cash , always having a smile on my face , cleaning, food prep, ect
The management and coworkers were amazing, such a fun but scheduled environment. I would recommend this job to many people who love to be in a high energetic environment with great people . a place were you will enjoy your job.
Exciting, very busy workplace with occasional encounters with wildlife.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: fun, creative, and rewarding work
Cons: often too busy to enjoy a break
Most Enjoyable Part of My Job: Knowing that my work benefits the lives of San Diego Zoo's and San Diego Zoo's Safari Park animal collection, as well as endangered species around the world.
I am a Great Worker
Food Service (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 20, 2013
Pros: free meal
Cons: no healtcare
I had work for San Diego Zoo and I have fun work there. My bosses was very easy and easy to work with. My Co-worker they are best people that I have work with. I learn how work hot and cold meal and clean floor and make things. The best thing that enjoy about the San Diego Zoo is that you meet new people and have fun with them.
Working with people
Food Service, Cashier (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 26, 2013
Fun,how to be very helpful,we had fun,clean up,greeting people.
You get to see all animals and all people of the world
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 18, 2013
You work hard and fast at the Zoo,you deal with all walks of the world. you get to see all animals

About San Diego Zoo

Talk about animal magnetism! The Zoological Society of San Diego is a not-for-profit organization that operates the 100-acre San – Read more

San Diego Zoo Photos