San Diego Zoo Employee Reviews

Great 1st job
Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 22, 2017
I worked here when i was 16 -17 i was young and i loved it they acommodated my school hours. excellent benefits and good pay for a teen.
Good to start off, but you'll want to consider elsewhere for long term career
Tour Operator Skyfari (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 19, 2017
Skyfari is repetitive and mindless at times so it is in your best interest to have a good attitude and converse with the rest of the team to pass time. Tiring job so not for the less physically active. Got to be on your toes at all times. When its not summer or winter you wont get scheduled as much as those with more seniority. Management has improved it's communication with it's employees over the past year which is good. There are some rules management should change though.

You get plenty of zoo tickets and breaks are 15 min paid. For 8 hour shifts you'll get a good 45 min lunch 15 of which paid.

Advancement is there, you just have to ask and look for it.
Pros
Good breaks, holiday lunches provided ie christmas and thanksgiving, advancement, benefits ie zoo, sea world tickets and discounts.
Cons
Bureaucratic management at times, repetitive, busy during summer and jungle bells
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 13, 2017
Actual first job as a cashier, took orders from different people with different cultures which made the job fun. Got to see all the animals on my break.
Good experience
Customer service, Food Service Clerk, Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 17, 2016
Good place to work. Constantly surrounded by guest from all around the world. Lots of work during the holidays/summer. Overall good experience working as a Food Service Clerk.
This is a job with cool perks.
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 26, 2016
Working at the San Diego Zoo has been fun experience in which I have been able to interact with people from all over the world. I really enjoy the fact that all of my co-workers are very friendly and team oriented. Also, as an employee at the San Diego Zoo I get to go to the Zoo and Safari Park for free and I am allotted tickets so I am able to bring friends and family as well as receive a 20% discount on food and souvenirs. I also get deals on Padres and Chargers tickets as a zoo employee. The only downside is that management is strict with policies such as uniform (no dyed hair, visible tattoos, or facial piercings), as well as with sick calls and being late, there is not a lot of leniency. Also, there is a lot of favoritism between certain leads and certain clerks which when recognized creates a feeling of an unfair environment. And since the zoo is open 365 days of the year forget about having any holidays or weekends off since vacation days and days off are given by seniority.
fun place but not super great to stay forever if you do notlike their politics
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 8, 2016
politics ruins the fun of the work enviroment write ups for meaningless punctaulity such as transferes or be behind 1 minute when you are early. favoritism is strong in the for advancement. they dont like peole who defies the management who believe they are right 110% of the time. schedule is terrbile very inconsistent, a tine to be at work but no guarntee off 8 hours or time you are off. you close one day and be pout by 10:30 and be back in to open at 8:30 in the morning, bascically juststay at the zoo and sleep there in your dirty uniforms to notbe late from oversleepingfrom exhustion from the night shift.
Pros
good food for lunch, my zone enter the zoo free on off days. discounts at diferent place outside the zoo
Cons
teribble schedual and no weekedends off oppurtunities
Lead/Supervision, great work ethic (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2016
Everyone works hard but enjoy working in a great atmosphere, management though do not communicate well with co workers.I worked their for 7 years just wanted a better job position.
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2016
I was a cashier at the stores. I handle a lot of cash by the end of the day. Had to count my drawers from the start of my shift to the end. Interact with customers daily.
Productive fast past place to work at
Food Service Clerk and Assistant Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 19, 2016
Through out the years i have worked here i feel hasnt not been so busy as other years before. Even though we still get a high volume of people the business at the restaurants isnt always great. People prefer to bring lunch than buy lunch there. But we have to remember that the prices are high because we are a non profit organization. The money we make goes to the survival of the animals and the staff getting paid. I have liked working her because when i was in school i was given a flexible schedule. As well as having great benefits for my family.
Fun, rewarding, passionate work environment
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 26, 2016
Working at the San Diego Zoo was amazing but I would like to advance my career and gain new skills to work closer with the animals. The zoo has given me a new passion for wildlife that I hope to share with others.
Cleaning up after guest
Park Aid (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2016
I was not a fan of the scheduling. if you're seasonal or part time you schedule was all over the place. One day you might work from 5am- 10am and the next day you wont come in till 2pm-9pm. You clean up after the guest. Clean bathrooms and changed trash cans. Your area has to be clean at all times. I never saw my management unless if it was during the monthly meetings, besides that it was supervisors which you might see during your shift.
Pros
Working outside and being around wild animals.
Cons
Short breaks. Never gave you your requested days off
What is really like to work at the world famous San Diego Zoo
Food Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
Work can be stressful and fun based on the customers that come visit that day and the attitude of the supervisors. On a typical day you take orders and give out orders is not a hard job. The supervisors at the zoo are very bad and most show lots of favoritism and allow some of the few favorites to be late and do no work. People are promoter based on how much they praise the managers .
Pros
get to see beautiful animals and plants
Cons
bad pay, horrible managers, unpredictable schedule, few hours
Fun Workplace
Waitress & Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2015
Great for college students or other individuals to make extra income on the side. Advancing to the next level is quite difficult because of long retention, but on the flip-side the retention rate exemplifies how great it is to work at the Zoo.
Pros
Great hours during the summer and winter
Cons
Work long hours during the holidays.
Considering it was the zoo it was a great place to work
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2015
A typical day for me consisted of coming into work and checking the assignment schedule to see what area I would be working. I learned a lot about team work and also being independent on the job from working here. Management here were ok, but I felt at time like they had there favorites. This was just a seasonal job for me so I only experienced them for so long. As far as my co-workers, some were great and some were not. The hardest part of my job was coming to work and feeling like I was getting taken advantage of at times. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see the animals everyday because I am a major animal lover.
Pros
Being able to see the animals on my breaks
Cons
Dealing with some snobbish people/managers
Fast paced Seasonal job
Cashier Clerk at Sandwich Company (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2015
Come in and count my drawer, begin ringing up customers.
I had relearned how to use touch screen system, and sharpened my cash handling skills.
The work environment was very support as I had lots of questions.
Hardest part of time was getting a mental break inbetween the endless lines of customers, but I survived with small breaks.

I really enjoyed interacting with customers and helping them with their orders. I had the honor of one lady saying I was the nicest lady she met, which really helped bring some pride into my job.
Pros
Meeting people from all over the world
Cons
Pretty tough work during seasonal periods
Great Company
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2015
This is a great company to work for. Co-workers are great as well as the management. worked closely with marketing manager on different type of projects.
Great environment, iffy practices
various (Former Employee) –  VariousJanuary 20, 2015
wonderful coworkers and decent work to be done but there is a LOT of favoritism and advancements based on how much a manager "likes" someone rather than how qualified they are.
There is also a "blacklist" for career advancement; no mistakes need to be made, it's more about whether or not you're well liked - word spreads quickly if you're not.
Pros
Fun workplace, great coworkers, awesome mission
Cons
low hours, favoritism, hard to get benefits
Its the zoo
Cashier food service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2015
Loved being at the world famous SD ZOO walked around the park alot always something new
Fair
Park Aid (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2015
The zoo was a demanding full time job, although there is obvious favoritism within the management.

Most enjoyable with the vast areas to work, and with teeming guests during the summer hours.

The only challenging part was the constant trash disposal and some of the older facilities breaking down, however is a dramatic contrast when the summer season is over, and a bulk of the employees would be laid-off.
Pros
Vast working space.
Cons
Management/Favoritism
Hmmmm
Retial/Food (Former Employee) –  San DiegoNovember 12, 2014
I worked over the summer at the zoo & loved it. They keep some people past seasonal & all summer I was told I was going to be one of those people. The last week of summer, I came down with bronchitis, I called into work one day hoping to feel better for the next day. When I wasn't any better, I went to the doctor who diagnosed me & gave me a note to give to my employer. I brought it in immediately, even though I could barely speak. The doctor excused me for the two days I missed, plus two days after. They demanded I get a release note from my doctor stating when I can return to work, which I did without question. All of the leads had said I was staying & I was definitely excited, until the supervisor handed me a piece of paper saying my last day was Sept 1 & I could call the week of Nov. 3rd to come back for the Christmas season.

That same supervisor told me I was unworthy of a meal when a coworker asked me if I wanted to split a sandwich & fries with her. & I was not able to eat it. But, I digress...

I called at 9am, on Monday, November 3rd, eager to get back to work. They took my name, number, what cafe I worked in & told me someone would be in contact with me by Tuesday. Wednesday rolled around & I still hadn't heard anything, so I called again. The office told me that no notes were made on my file & they would resend an email. Friday rolled around & I still hadn't received a call, so again I called. They said the same thing. Meanwhile, I was informed by an employee that they already brought back 2 people for work. Livid is an understatement. Why would you completely
  more... ignore a former employee, who clearly, wants to work?! I was told I'd be contacted with a decision the following day at the latest & I still have not yet been informed. I understand that it's not very busy, they may not need more people, but they could easily pick up the phone & call me to say that.

If you like to be looked down upon, talked down to & ignored, the San Diego Zoo is the place for you!
Pros
Free admission to zoo & Safari Park, free parking @ Safari Park
Cons
Awful management who looks down on you & complains often.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Diego Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3