San Diego Zoo Employee Reviews in United States

Cleaning up after guest
Park Aid (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2016
I was not a fan of the scheduling. if you're seasonal or part time you schedule was all over the place. One day you might work from 5am- 10am and the next day you wont come in till 2pm-9pm. You clean up after the guest. Clean bathrooms and changed trash cans. Your area has to be clean at all times. I never saw my management unless if it was during the monthly meetings, besides that it was supervisors which you might see during your shift.
Pros
Working outside and being around wild animals.
Cons
Short breaks. Never gave you your requested days off
What is really like to work at the world famous San Diego Zoo
Food Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 11, 2015
Work can be stressful and fun based on the customers that come visit that day and the attitude of the supervisors. On a typical day you take orders and give out orders is not a hard job. The supervisors at the zoo are very bad and most show lots of favoritism and allow some of the few favorites to be late and do no work. People are promoter based on how much they praise the managers .
Pros
get to see beautiful animals and plants
Cons
bad pay, horrible managers, unpredictable schedule, few hours
Fun Workplace
Waitress & Hostess (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 2, 2015
Great for college students or other individuals to make extra income on the side. Advancing to the next level is quite difficult because of long retention, but on the flip-side the retention rate exemplifies how great it is to work at the Zoo.
Pros
Great hours during the summer and winter
Cons
Work long hours during the holidays.
Considering it was the zoo it was a great place to work
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2015
A typical day for me consisted of coming into work and checking the assignment schedule to see what area I would be working. I learned a lot about team work and also being independent on the job from working here. Management here were ok, but I felt at time like they had there favorites. This was just a seasonal job for me so I only experienced them for so long. As far as my co-workers, some were great and some were not. The hardest part of my job was coming to work and feeling like I was getting taken advantage of at times. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see the animals everyday because I am a major animal lover.
Pros
Being able to see the animals on my breaks
Cons
Dealing with some snobbish people/managers
Fast paced Seasonal job
Cashier Clerk at Sandwich Company (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 27, 2015
Come in and count my drawer, begin ringing up customers.
I had relearned how to use touch screen system, and sharpened my cash handling skills.
The work environment was very support as I had lots of questions.
Hardest part of time was getting a mental break inbetween the endless lines of customers, but I survived with small breaks.

I really enjoyed interacting with customers and helping them with their orders. I had the honor of one lady saying I was the nicest lady she met, which really helped bring some pride into my job.
Pros
Meeting people from all over the world
Cons
Pretty tough work during seasonal periods
Great Company
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 13, 2015
This is a great company to work for. Co-workers are great as well as the management. worked closely with marketing manager on different type of projects.
Great environment, iffy practices
various (Former Employee) –  VariousJanuary 20, 2015
wonderful coworkers and decent work to be done but there is a LOT of favoritism and advancements based on how much a manager "likes" someone rather than how qualified they are.
There is also a "blacklist" for career advancement; no mistakes need to be made, it's more about whether or not you're well liked - word spreads quickly if you're not.
Pros
fun workplace, great coworkers, awesome mission
Cons
low hours, favoritism, hard to get benefits
Its the zoo
Cashier food service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2015
Loved being at the world famous SD ZOO walked around the park alot always something new
Fair
Park Aid (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 7, 2015
The zoo was a demanding full time job, although there is obvious favoritism within the management.

Most enjoyable with the vast areas to work, and with teeming guests during the summer hours.

The only challenging part was the constant trash disposal and some of the older facilities breaking down, however is a dramatic contrast when the summer season is over, and a bulk of the employees would be laid-off.
Pros
vast working space.
Cons
management/favoritism
Hmmmm
Retial/Food (Former Employee) –  San DiegoNovember 12, 2014
I worked over the summer at the zoo & loved it. They keep some people past seasonal & all summer I was told I was going to be one of those people. The last week of summer, I came down with bronchitis, I called into work one day hoping to feel better for the next day. When I wasn't any better, I went to the doctor who diagnosed me & gave me a note to give to my employer. I brought it in immediately, even though I could barely speak. The doctor excused me for the two days I missed, plus two days after. They demanded I get a release note from my doctor stating when I can return to work, which I did without question. All of the leads had said I was staying & I was definitely excited, until the supervisor handed me a piece of paper saying my last day was Sept 1 & I could call the week of Nov. 3rd to come back for the Christmas season.

That same supervisor told me I was unworthy of a meal when a coworker asked me if I wanted to split a sandwich & fries with her. & I was not able to eat it. But, I digress...

I called at 9am, on Monday, November 3rd, eager to get back to work. They took my name, number, what cafe I worked in & told me someone would be in contact with me by Tuesday. Wednesday rolled around & I still hadn't heard anything, so I called again. The office told me that no notes were made on my file & they would resend an email. Friday rolled around & I still hadn't received a call, so again I called. They said the same thing. Meanwhile, I was informed by an employee that they already brought back 2 people for work. Livid is an understatement. Why would you completely ignore
  more... a former employee, who clearly, wants to work?! I was told I'd be contacted with a decision the following day at the latest & I still have not yet been informed. I understand that it's not very busy, they may not need more people, but they could easily pick up the phone & call me to say that.

If you like to be looked down upon, talked down to & ignored, the San Diego Zoo is the place for you!
Pros
free admission to zoo & safari park, free parking @ safari park
Cons
awful management who looks down on you & complains often.
Husbandry needs for endangered birds
Intern/Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 29, 2014
Perform daily husbandry needs and prepare diets for critically endangered bird species of Hawaii. Repetitive work day in and out but for a good cause.
Pros
on site housing available for interns
Cons
$100/week stipend
great work place
Merchandise Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 23, 2014
leads are always there to help you out. customers are always happy and friendly. co workers are great and reliable.
Pros
great discounts
Fun place to work while acomplishing daily goals
Clerk, Lead San Diego Zoo (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 10, 2014
From the minute you go in to work everyone greets you. We have a great managment and i always try to keep myself busy even when business isn't what we wanted it to be. Hardest part is dealing with very difficult customers but we learn from every customer we help.
Pros
free lunch, good healthcare
Potentially Fun Place, Bad Management Practices
Retail Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 31, 2014
Typical complains about Wal-Mart are that the employees are not in a union, and that the wages keep people in poverty. After working more than eight years for this company let me tell you that things are not that different here.

We pay union fees, but that doesn't mean much for I still do not get more than 25 hours a week, regardless of season (busy or slow). I do not have benefits, and my yearly income is below poverty level.

There's a lot of pros to working for this company, your co-workers are great, you meet people from ALL over the world, and you work at great location.

Management however is under a great deal of pressure to cut labor at any cost, as I said above, you will not get more than 25 hours a week working in most of the merchandise locations with very few exceptions.

Management can also go from respectful, to highly unprofessional, some managers yell and talk down to their employees, while others will respond to complains or issues you bring up by reducing your hours. Raising issues in anyway, no matter how valid or professional you do it is seen as highly undesirable. The general idea is that those who do are whiners and complainers.

Even though asking for more scheduled hours from a company you have been working in for more than 8 years is neither whining, nor complaining.
Pros
location, perks.
Cons
very few scheduled hours, unprofessional behavior in managers.
Best Place on earth
Merchandise Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2014
How to deal with customers face-to-face.
Learned to be flexible with work schedules.
Was able to visit animals
busy work environment.
Pros
free entrance to the zoo
Cons
no benefits, low pay
Fun Fun.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 19, 2014
Love working at the zoo and the employees are awsome. Learned to be a team leader. Management are awsome. Easy job. The animals and people.
Pros
discount and free admission
It is a very well structured company with great workers
Cash Tech (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 19, 2014
Its awesome place to work. You get to see all the animals everyday. super fun
Pros
worked in zoo
Cons
was in door
Extrememly Fun Volunteer Work!
Interpretive Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 11, 2014
San Diego Zoo is just fun! For whoever loves animals, theme parks and outdoors, you would love this job!

I loved meeting people from all over the world, assisting them with their day if they didn't know what they wanted to see, and just LOVED the other volunteers.

My favorite job was being an interpretive Volunteer, getting to know about the animals, and sharing facts about theme to guests at each exhibit!
Pros
discounted lunches in the break room
Cons
no pay
Fun Work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 5, 2014
• Catered to out of town visitors, maintaining a positive attitude as an ambassador to the zoo and city
• Prepared individual food orders and bulk containers of ingredients for the attraction’s restaurants
• Inventoried and restocked preparation and service supplies, and food ingredients for the next shift
• Maintained food preparation and service areas in pristine condition, ready for customers at all times
...
Food Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Very Adventurous place to work. Exciting seeing all the animals and being able to work so close to the animals.