San Francisco Aids Foundation Employee Reviews

Productive place to work with community
Program Manager/Therapist/Case Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 6, 2014
I am busy from start to finish. We work with very vulnerable and marginalized communities.
Harm Reduction Knowledge
Intern and Volunteer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2014
At the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, I was trained in harm reduction techniques. I learned to administer various supplies at different needle exchange sites throughout San Francisco.
SFAF
Laboratory Technician II (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 3, 2014
San Francisco AIDS Foundation is guided by a strategic plan with three ambitious goals aimed at radically reducing new infections in San Francisco in 2015.

Goal 1: Reduce new HIV infections in San Francisco by 50%
New HIV infection rates have remained frustratingly stable for more than a decade, at about 55,000 in the U.S., 7,000 in California, and 1,000 in San Francisco. We seek to radically reduce new infections, and we can not do it alone. We must collaborate within and beyond our community, with partners in research, clinical and public health, with local, state and federal governments, and with donors, volunteers and other stakeholders. Together, we will expand HIV testing and pursue new frontiers in prevention. Leveraging scientific research and community knowledge we will devise new approaches and ensure that federal, state and local legislation supports a climate hospitable to effective HIV prevention.

Goal 2: Ensure all San Franciscans know their current HIV status
Accurate knowledge of HIV status is critical to individual and community health. Even in San Francisco, nearly one in five (18 percent) people with HIV are unaware of their status. Not knowing one’s HIV status leads to missed opportunities for HIV prevention and care. For infection rates to decrease, status awareness must increase. HIV testing and screening must become part of routine healthcare and a topic of frank, honest discussions free from stigma and judgment. We are expanding advocacy and public education about the benefits of testing, determining the feasibility of citywide HIV screening, and optimizing – more... our own and others’ capacity to provide HIV testing.

Goal 3: Ensure access to proper care for all HIV-positive San Franciscans
The line between HIV prevention and care has blurred. Emerging scientific research tells us that proper treatment and care for HIV-positive individuals isn’t just the right thing to do, it may also be an important prevention strategy. That’s because effective HIV care can improve long-term health and wellness while simultaneously reducing the likelihood of further transmission through the use of antiretroviral treatment and behavioral change. The foundation is determined to eliminate institutional and political obstacles to access to treatment and care. As the epidemic evolves, we are evolving our targeted programs to improve the health of people with HIV and AIDS, from housing and medical referrals to group support and services that address mental health and substance use among populations most vulnerable to HIV. – less
I really enjoyed being in this work enviornment everyone just made me feel so welcomed
Intern receptionist (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2012
I was the receptionist. My duties were to answer the phone screen and direct calls to the correct departments. I also did the mail and helped with other important projects