San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Employee Reviews

Love working with the public in assisting with information and direction
Principal Citation/RPP Clerk (Current Employee), 1 South Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, CA 94103May 20, 2014
Pros: free travel in the city, discount on travel outside the city and cell phone contracts. great benifits, opportunites to advance, classes available to assist you to advance, discounts on college, other types of persoanal assistance as well
Cons: unalbe to take breaks and lunches together when needed, not willing to allow clerks to work 10-4 schedule
It is always a good feeling to assist someone. Working with SFMTA is full of adventure each and every day. At times it can be very stressful with the angry customers. But with time, patience, listening skills, and understanding, you will end up with a win-win situation. But not in the eye of the customer if they end up having to pay for something they truly to do not want to, but understands they have to with full explanation without putting them down.
Most management are willing to work with you in situations and have an open door policy. They are happy to be on fist name basis as well. They are wiling to assist you in any way and give you options for situations if needed. They also are willing to help you succeed and progress in your endeavors as much as they can. The downside is the politics of working for the City.
Most co-works are easy going and great to work with. Even those that I've supervised. All working together as a team from different units and getting full understanding to be able to assist the customers the best way they can. At times we are at odds, but again with full explanation and understanding, it works itself out with most.
The joy of working with such great people helps the days go by. I've made good friends along the way when they thought me becoming a supervisor would change who I was. True caring people in the workplace truly does help when your feeling low and it helps when you know one another well and can cheer and encourage each other. It helps in the environment we work in daily.
At times there is not enough support from management or other workers – more... in other units which can be very frustrating when your trying to help a customer, employee, or make changes for the better.
By working here, I've learned more about the City and it's politics, as well as parking and traffic that I would never even thought of. I've learned how to calm down much more than I did dealing with difficult situations and hard core type people. I've been in position to learn or enhance customer service skills, supervisory skills, communication skills, and apply what I've learned from college as well. Learned how to post time in computer systems and more about spreadsheets. I've also learned more about leadership in a difficult work place where most customers come in on attack. – less
Serious accountability and management issues
Analyst (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 9, 2014
Pros: work-life balance
Cons: poor management, zero accountability, terrible culture, no incentive to work hard
Agency is trying to move in the right direction but still faces serious management and accountability issues. There is little effective supervision, almost zero communication between divisions, and no centralized information resources. Implementing any form of change or improvement is near-impossible as there is very little incentive for increased efficiency or change. Many employees are non-responsive to emails due to lack of accountability even when crucial deadlines are approaching.

Good work-life balance, flexible schedule, free Muni rides.
Environment
Contracts and Procurements (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2014
Pros: training and pay
Cons: long commute to wor
Great work environment. Management allows you to do your job. Stressfree
Productive and great place to learn and advance
Student Design Trainee/Intern (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits
While working for SFMTA as an intern, I was exposed to the construction management. During my time there I learned about San Francisco City codes and Rail Road construction for the trolleys. Everyday there was something new to learn and it was always engaging.
A workplace that is constantly on the go!
Principal Account Clerk (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 6, 2013
A typical day at work is hectic! I learn about the effectiveness of positive interactions and how rewarding it can be. Work is that much easier when people understand each other and are aware of expectations. I find that work/life balance is very good here. Working overtime or weekends is not usually required. Co-workers are a healthy mix of cultures which in my opinion enhances the work environment.