San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

The College of Ethnic Studies is excellent
LECTURER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2017
The mission of the College of Ethnic Studies is to provide safe academic spaces and resources for all to practice the theories of resistance and liberation
I Love Teaching in OB Clinical Rotations
Clinical Faculty/Lecturer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94132April 4, 2017
Teaching at the University Level in Nursing is very rewarding. I love teaching in my clinical area of expertise. Hardest part of the job is trying to get in as many hands-on opportunities for all of my students.
Pros
pay is really good in relation to what I am doing
Cons
Right now its only 1 day per week
Great place for schooling and work opportunities
Resident Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 29, 2017
While being bombarded with homework and other school responsibilities, San Francisco State University (as an employer) has offered flexible scheduling and a great work environment.
Pros
Meeting students
Cons
Working while getting an education
Great Learning Experience
Information Technology Network Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 6, 2017
Teachers your Leadership and Management qualities.
You Learn to be flexible with your work hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that job is different and challenging every day.
Electrician Assistant
Grader of Calculus III and Linear Algebra (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2017
At this job, I learned wiring a house and the implications of following the safety rules to handle electricity. This kind of job requires listenting to the head electrician and following instrucctions. Being an Electrician Assistant I learned how to repair or replace wiring, equipment, or fixtures using hand tools and power tools. Also, I learned to read blueprints or technical diagrams before doing work and to Install and maintain wiring and lighting systems Inspect electrical components, such as transformers and circuit breakers.
Sfsu
Vice President of Information Technology (Current Employee) –  Ascend Pan-Asian Leaders - SFSUFebruary 7, 2017
SFSU provides students opportunities to grow professionally and personally! Great Education! Great Environment! On-campus jobs help student gain experience!
Productive and fun workplace.
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94132February 7, 2017
Fun workplace.
Gain leadership, teamwork, communication, and professional skills.
Nice inclusive city to live in.
Lots to do in the city.
Sfsu
Math/Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2017
It's easy to work as a tutor at SFSU. It's individual session that allow students to get help understanding difficult concepts in their classes. It's a laid back environment.
Overall
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 29, 2017
The resident assistant job is often 24/7; my workday consistently changed based on what both I and my residents needed. I learned time management and delegation, how to form personal bonds with my co-workers and the residents. When SF State has a full, Professional Staff, management is professional and exciting. However, the community I worked in lacked the proper amount of consistent supervisors to continually make progress in the community and with the staff. Regardless, my community was tight-knit and supportive of each other.
Pros
Flexible hours, personal relationships with co-workers and residents, positive environment.
Cons
Lack of consistent and permanent supervisors, lack of communication.
Fun working in San Francisco State University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 23, 2017
As I am a Teaching Assistant I got to teach students which was a new experience to me. As I came under faculty now I experienced good management skills of the University. The workplace culture is very good. I enjoy spending time and working there.

Want to know more about San Francisco State University?

Ask a question
Good school for busy students
Student (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2017
A diverse, educational environment for students. Classes are all day so students are able to work during the semester.
Excellent Program
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2017
At SFSU DI you get the chance to work on your inquieres and preferences to extended your knowledge as a future dietitian.
The Director of the program is approachable and is always willing to work with you to on your preferences.
It's also important to mention than most of the interns of my program graduated with a payed job.
SF State Work Life, Day to Day on Campus
Alumni Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 12, 2017
It's hard to work on campus as the duties and priorities in many departments shift from month to month. Also, the feels like there's unrest on campus with an unhappy student body who struggle to pay a rising tuition.
An affordable state university with potential to build an alumni and donor base.
Director for Development (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Donor calls for visits, research logistics for prospect lists, attend meetings with immediate reports bi-weekly. Hardest part- building a portfolio and meeting visit metrics at the same time. working with the AD and Coaches
Pros
Coaches and Student Athletes
Cons
Morale
Productive Workplace
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 8, 2016
San Francisco State University was a great place to start working in Animal Care. The Animal Care Facility was in the process of a change in leadership when I was hired and I had to help bring the facility up to all the standards.
Good
Personnel and Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 16, 2016
Worked with residents on site, difficult at times with troubled residents but managerial staff on site were extremely supportive! People were lovely and interesting. Learned communication,customer service, organization skills.
Great place to work with a very supportive team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2016
This job was very flexible and truly allowed me to be a student 1st and administrative assistant 2nd. I had great managers who made sure school was my number 1 priority. I worked with a great staff and had the opportunity to learn very valuable office experience.
Pros
flexible hours, great work life balance
Cons
low hourly wage, no health benefits
State budget makes job security unpredictable
Coordinator, Protection of Human Research (IRB) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 7, 2016
The work life balance is pretty good given the challenges to commuting to the campus location. Like any academic environment compensation is low. State budgets have a big influence on project funding. Unable to predict job security when cuts need to be made.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Commute to sunset district challenging, budget cuts
Work Study program with a youthful team and caring supervisors.
Assistant Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 6, 2016
My experience at San Francisco State Housing provided me with insight and patience in a professional administrative environment. It taught me valuable lessons in customer service by serving concerned students and parents. The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside my colleagues and the satisfaction of helping a customer with an issue. One of the hardest parts was serving an enraged customer, but with patience and integrity I was able to guide they're concern to the appropriate department.
Pros
Convience to home, Convience to school, Ability to work outside
Cons
Short Breaks
Good experience
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 19, 2016
Working at San Francisco State was a positive experience. The staff and co-workers were very supportive and administration was always willing to help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Francisco State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2