San Francisco State University

San Francisco State University Employer Reviews

Great part time program for working professionals
Student (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 14, 2014
I have thoroughly enjoyed the intellectual atmosphere that the program offers, as well as the interaction within my cohort made up of a very diverse group of working adults
Front desk of SFSU Department of Recreational Parks and Tourism
Student Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 13, 2014
Working front desk of the Recreation Parks and Tourism (RPT), I was responsible for keeping the department organized for its students. This included sending out email reminders and job opportunities to the students, creating personal folders for their classes, and answering any questions or concerns about their classes.
Good Work Experience
Research Assistant, Teaching Associate (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 13, 2014
Working as a teaching associate at SFSU is fun because I love interacting with students and help them understand concepts.
I love teaching here!
Ex Post Facto History Journal, Student Editor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 11, 2014
Pros: great social environment, lots of places to do work, free entertainment for students and coworkers on campus.
Cons: lack of benefits.
I went here as a student and now get to teach here. A typical day involves lecturing, reading student's papers and correcting quizzes, and replying to emails.

I have learned a lot about how to communicate verbally and how to write clear, concise lectures and emails.

I enjoy working with most of the students, but some students are not motivated. Me – more... trying to motivate them is challenging, but also rewarding. – less
Environment
Summer Planetarium Director (Current Employee), Pittsburg, CAAugust 10, 2014
Highly independent

Management open to creativity and improvements.
Educational and rewarding
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2014
~ In a public health setting, I meet with my students at 10 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. to accommodate the stay at home elderly, the after school kids and the working adults. In the morning, I first meet with my students, and review their assignments for the day. Then we have questions and answer session and assess the program for the day.
~ At noon I supervise – more... my students in their walking and exercise programs for the elderly.
~ 2:00 students prepare for their after school program.
~3:00 after school program for the children ages 4-17. Health screening, art activities, exercises and health teachings.
~ 4:30 students prepare and practice for adult programs
~ 5:30 Adult health screening and health teaching presentations.
~ 6:15 Socialization.
~ 6:45 post conference
~ 7 p.m. done for the day
This Fall 2014 students will have both public health nursing and skilled nursing facility training. – less
Ok job for a student
Housing and Residential Services Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 7, 2014
This job is good for college students because the hours are flexible.
Great research experience in pursuring my M.S. degree
Amagata Lab Graduate Researcher (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 3, 2014
I received no grants but still felt the experience was rewarding especially in my research experience. Typical issues come up when dealing with a lab that has less money than others including lack of some resources, crowded rooms, but this is normal. I learned a lot and loved the work.
Large diverse institution
Lecturer (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 26, 2014
Diverse student population from all walks of life. Commuter campus, but generally dedicated and hardworking. Facilities bit dated, but workable.
Very good working environment seeking the help on student with disabilities.
Accessible Media Director Assitant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 22, 2014
Pros: good united environment seeking the same objective.
- Four hours daily of converting media from hard to soft copy according to the student. We were required to deal with the student as well to ensure the quality of the media we converted.

- Working with the human services especially in such a busy department taught me a lot especially with Microsoft Access and with converting media into various forms – more... to make it accessible for students.

- Time management was a really important aspect in such a job especially at the beginning of the academic year which is the peak of the requests for media conversion. We were also required to be in constant contact with the student center for the books and the binding. Not to mention, that using CAM to be in touch with all California State Universities to make some conversions easier for us and faster for students.

- I had 5 co-workers which were really passionate about the job as well, two were responsible for captioning, one for IT and one was responsible for media conversion as myself.

- The hardest part was that the converted media had to be really accurate because the user of that converted media is a student with a disability type and any small error could cause confusion in the material.

- The most enjoyable part was that all the employers and the employees had the same goal of helping the disabled students and it felt really united in the office to work towards the same objective. – less
Productive and Fun working space
Resident Computer Consultant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 9, 2014
Learn a lot form other people. Require strength and Knowledge.
Great Environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 9, 2014
Pros: fun environment
This is a great environment to grow. It is a great place to learn how to handle large group of children. When you see the excitement on the children's faces, it makes the day worth it.
Controlled environment. Little room for creativity and to express freedom
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 7, 2014
Was a good learning curve, but never had a chance to implement ideas and express myself. A good opportunity for beginners.
Controlled environment. Little room for creativity and to express freedom
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 7, 2014
Friendly and supportive work environment
PAINTER (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2014
Pros: experience within a state insitution
Cons: hierarchical obfuscation hinders progress
The CSU school system was hit hard by the last recession. SFSU had to make a significant amount of cuts, one of which was the Paint department for approximately a five year period. During my time working there we were extremely busy, and constantly moving. I was fortunate to have a friendly and supportive group of professionals working beside me. Since – more... I had worked in facilities the previous three years, under a different position, I had already developed friendships with virtually the entire employee body. These relationships assisted in my understanding of the dynamics at play in the facilities corridor. Navigating these dynamics was the hardest part of the job, however reaching out to experience proved to be sufficient in mitigating any potentially problematic misunderstandings. – less
Good Workplace and networking opportunities
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: discount on food vendors on campus
Cons: limited hours
Very energetic and occupied.
Responsibilities include the following:
1.Assist Associate Director of Finance in maintenance of Fiscal records.
2.Maintain Administrative files and keep information confidential.
3.Prepare and update spreadsheets for analyzing Financial Data. 4.Gained experience in working as a Team and being in a Managerial Environment.
Wonderful sense of making a difference in the world, campus culture
Assistant to English Department Chair (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2014
Pros: fantastic &very smart people, campus culture, cultural events
Cons: no investment/little infrastructure, bad morale because of it
Daily, I typically troubleshoot issues faculty have with HR.
Additionally, I work closely with the Dept. chair (we are one of the 3 largest departments on campus) on confidential faculty problems and projects (Retention/Tenure/Promotion paperwork, personnel issues).
On a regular basis, I take minutes for faculty meetings, assist in researching university – more... and college policy, and supervise staff in our main office as well as 3 satellite offices (including calling and chairing staff meetings).
Annually, I facilitate and conduct staff reviews. Every semester, I coordinate the filing, storage and use of student evals for faculty, for the purpose of hiring and RTP.
This time of year, I help coordinate our departmental festivities for graduation,and work with other staff to keep track of graduating students for our alumni database. I work closely with our front office administrator to help with graduation applications, scholarship applications and our bi-annual newsletter. – less
Best CSU in the world in my opinion!
IT Specialist for Web Applications and CMS (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 5, 2014
I am grateful for everything San Francisco State University has done for me and I'll always be a loyal alumni.
Effective learning and linguistic skills practiced
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2014
Pros: helped with financing in college
Cons: permanent was not an option, because it was more of a student worker job.
I would meet with the head of the department every week and correct assignments, file her documents, and sub- teach the class when she cannot make it.
I learned how to create a creative curriculum, I also did a lot of data entry. I did not have co workers because she only hires one person each semester. Fortanetly I was able to take classes with this – more... teacher in the future and my boss was the one who signed all my graduation papers. Evidently since it was a College mostly all of the students were mature and well behaved. – less
a good place to study to explore your future
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 29, 2014
I have learned a lot from this university. There are so many good professors who helps a lot in your work.

1 2 3