San Francisco State University Employee Reviews in United States

professional and friendly
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2016
My duties were to assist the office coordination for the Ed.D. Educational Leadership and Special Education Department. Since this is just a part-time job during my school, what I learned from here was mostly technical skills.
My co-workers were very nice and friendly to me, we usually had relaxing conversations about the works, and how to walk through that.
The hardest part was that I have to continuously learned how to use many computer softwares which I had been not familiar with; but that is also the most enjoyable part that I had a feeling of achieving something new.
Pros
pro and friendly culture, effective communication
Cons
some jobs required data entry, which could be a little bit boring
Student job, not very well payed, but great experience and good vibe.
Instructional Assistant at Summer Bridge Program (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2016
I worked at San Francisco State University as a tutor and as an Instructional Assistant. I could choose my own schedule, so it was easy to pair this job with my student's responsibilities.
The Learning Assistance Center is a great place, they taught me everything I know about tutoring. The vibe at work was great.
The Summer Bridge program was great to work at, but we had some compensation issues. It was hard to work with first-generation students, but I enjoyed seeing that I helped people to learn the core concepts of academic writing.
San Francisco State University is a social justice focused educational institution. My experience teaching very rewarding.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 19, 2016
My duties consisted of much reading and engaging of the students, via e-mail and in person. I developed learning outcomes and implemented evaluation, and I also regularly advised students via e-mail and in-person.
Passionate Leads, small team
Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 15, 2016
Focused on recruiting and managing new members. Lots of opportunities to get more involved with headquarters. Great work environment, very flexible work schedule. Learned from everyone there; plumbers, electrician, locksmith, HVAC tech.
Pros
flexible, company bbqs
Cons
tedious work, restrictive upper management
The paint shop is run slip shod!
Painter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 19, 2015
The two top employees of the shop don't have good management or communication skills. They had a difficult time with scheduling the 9 man crew. The next one in line spent more time on the phone, talking and walking around than working. His painting skill is only a second year apprentice, but he is permanent and has stated numerous times he doesn't need to work because of his status. He also tries to bribe people. He is the main reason moral is so low. no one was disappointed when we were laid off. We were temps.
A great place to work and highly recommend. It has its ups and downs but it was overall a great place to work.
Media Technology Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 3, 2016
You work close with a lot of the staff and faculty. The one thing not good with it is the pay but the experience is worth it. The people are friendly and the job is fairly easy.
San Francisco State University was a valuable experience.
Biochemical Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 10, 2015
San Francisco State University was a valuable opportunity for my growth and development as a future scientist. Team building and critical thinking were two important aspects in evolving our research. An essential part working at SFSU was the different ideas and interpretations that were tested in order to achieve a common goal.
Not the best environment to work
Director of Career Services and Development (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2016
This position was the worst experience of my life. My former manager (from the School of Business) was rude and mean. I will never accept a position with this organization again.
Pros
Working with students and graduates
Cons
paid once a month
Academic environment with emence support from other faculty
Instructional Aid Family Communication Comm (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 14, 2016
I have held paid and unpaid positions at SFSU, that are all directly related to my degress in Communication Studies.

Instructional aid positions I had the opportunity to work with faculty in Communication Studies, in subject matter I really enjoyed. Organizational Communication, Public Speaking, and Family Communication.

As part of my graduate school program I had the privilege of teaching four semesters of Communications 150-Fundementals of Oral Communication.

Teaching students in a classroom environment is incredibly rewarding and fulfilling. Disruptive, disrespectful students were very unpleasant part of the job, fortunately, there were only a few.

In my capacity as a teaching associate I developed lesson plans, quizes, assignments, and in class activities to reenforce subject matter covered in lecture and in text.

My co-hort and faculty were always available to assist, or lend an ear, or a hand.
Pros
teaching
Cons
temporary assignment
This work mainly took place on the University
College Student (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2016
This is where I received most of my technical experience with the design programs like ArcGis, Spss, and Revit. It was an excellent experience designing an improved Google Campus.
Works around your school schedule
Event Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 22, 2016
Most of the jobs are work study and you learn a lot with the the people you work with. This job was temporary and the teacher worked around my schedule. The staff is friendly and helpful.
A lot of reading, processing information, and categorization.
Research Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 17, 2015
Fun and interesting research project. I learned a lot about one particular artist and her contributions to the sociopolitical arts movement in North America. The project required a lot of reading and a strong discipline in meeting deadlines while working on other assignments. I developed a strong time management and analytical skills.
Instructional Equipment Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2015
SFSU is a great working environment. I love working with the students and supporting them when needed. If you like autonomy this is the place to work, however, if you have difficulty with too much autonomy of your work day this may be challenging.
Positive social environment
Mail Clerk/ Facilities & Ops Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2015
Great working environment for someone who is new to the campus, which allows me to learn about departments within the school.
Pros
Relationship with supervisor was great.
Cons
Want to learn new skills that would challenge me.
Middle School Wages, High School drama, College Campus
Resident Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 20, 2015
Zero job safety features - ineffective emergency training, difficulty getting hours, awful supervisors, minimal monthly payment, chaotic management that plays favorites and openly badmouths employees.
San Francisco State
Instructional Support Assist. (Former Employee) –  College of Creative ArtsOctober 14, 2015
A potentially dynamic employment environment, San Francisco State University offers the opportunity to be involved in a diverse and stimulating work situations.
Pros
Stimulating environment
Cons
Unprofessional management and administration
relaxed and supportive
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 2, 2015
work on your own schedule. given a deadline. project was assigned, and expected to be finished by a certain day. working on computer simulations had a lot of downtime, so id typically come in after classes, set a script to run over night, and come back the next day to analyze results. coworkers were friendly and encouraging, often working on the same or similar projects.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
tedious
Supportive Faculty
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2015
Supportive and fun staff who enjoy team building and working together to offer solutions and assistance. Management is supportive and provides expert guidance.
Great work environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 29, 2015
It was a great professional atmosphere to work in. I learned a lot about pushing to better myself everyday. My peers were very smart, outgoing, successful and so as a first-time employee in a professional environment, this influenced me to be just as organized and skilled as they are.
Pros
Leaders and director were very great at communicating with their peers
Wonderful work experience!!
Professor of sociology (Former Employee) –  SanJuly 30, 2015
Day: current social issues, student questions, open class discussion on specific topical issue of day--best part of day! No "hard" days!

Department/faculty support; high academic student maturity and skills; cool co-workers/environment.

Most enjoyable--student eager to share their views/opinions in class!
Pros
Going home with a smile!

4.2