San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

Very good working environment seeking the help on student with disabilities.
Accessible Media Director Assitant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 22, 2014
- Four hours daily of converting media from hard to soft copy according to the student. We were required to deal with the student as well to ensure the quality of the media we converted.

- Working with the human services especially in such a busy department taught me a lot especially with Microsoft Access and with converting media into various forms to make it accessible for students.

- Time management was a really important aspect in such a job especially at the beginning of the academic year which is the peak of the requests for media conversion. We were also required to be in constant contact with the student center for the books and the binding. Not to mention, that using CAM to be in touch with all California State Universities to make some conversions easier for us and faster for students.

- I had 5 co-workers which were really passionate about the job as well, two were responsible for captioning, one for IT and one was responsible for media conversion as myself.

- The hardest part was that the converted media had to be really accurate because the user of that converted media is a student with a disability type and any small error could cause confusion in the material.

- The most enjoyable part was that all the employers and the employees had the same goal of helping the disabled students and it felt really united in the office to work towards the same objective.
Pros
good united environment seeking the same objective.
A great and fun loving experience
Tutor Meisters (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2015
-A typical day at Tutor Meisters always brings something new. I get to meet new people and reconnect with others. I get to help them with math problems and I really enjoy doing that because I have taken that course before and I understand where they are coming from. Most times I can completely relate because I was once stuck on the same thing and I found a different way to solve it so it's always nice to share that with my students.
-My co-workers are awesome and my co-manager is so understanding and motivating. Even during months when we do not get many students, he doesn't give up hope and he always pushes our colleagues and myself.
-The hardest part of my job is usually when I cannot solve a problem right off the bat and when I have my last lesson with my students and I have to stay good bye.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is when my students tell me how well they did in the course or on a particular test/quiz that I helped them with. Another enjoyable part is when they tell me how helpful my tutoring strategies and tips have been for them.
Pros
i love teaching and i love the subject of mathematics.
Cons
it's not a continuous and everyday job.
Good job for Masters Student
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 30, 2015
Working as an online graduate teaching assistant offered flexible hours and a professor who understood that schoolwork came first. Because the class had over 1000 students and a required writing assignment, the majority of my job was to grade papers. During times when papers did not need to be graded, I performed computer analyses to catch students cheating on quizzes and exams, and helped the professor with email queries and other day to day activities necessary to run a class.

I greatly improved my excel spreadsheet skills with the job, as well as other computer skills. Although I was not studying international business for my degree, I learned the subject matter of the class in order to teach the students the material.

While I really liked the professor as a person, he was not well organized and a bit lazy. This made the working environment tough because I did not have guidance for many of my tasks. However, while the lack of guidance was frustrating at the time, it also helped to develop creative ways to do the tasks and independent working skills.
Pros
Helped students, learned a lot
Cons
Temporary position, low pay
Wonderful sense of making a difference in the world, campus culture
Assistant to English Department Chair (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2014
Daily, I typically troubleshoot issues faculty have with HR.
Additionally, I work closely with the Dept. chair (we are one of the 3 largest departments on campus) on confidential faculty problems and projects (Retention/Tenure/Promotion paperwork, personnel issues).
On a regular basis, I take minutes for faculty meetings, assist in researching university and college policy, and supervise staff in our main office as well as 3 satellite offices (including calling and chairing staff meetings).
Annually, I facilitate and conduct staff reviews. Every semester, I coordinate the filing, storage and use of student evals for faculty, for the purpose of hiring and RTP.
This time of year, I help coordinate our departmental festivities for graduation,and work with other staff to keep track of graduating students for our alumni database. I work closely with our front office administrator to help with graduation applications, scholarship applications and our bi-annual newsletter.
Pros
fantastic &very smart people, campus culture, cultural events
Cons
no investment/little infrastructure, bad morale because of it
Pro-Active and self driven communication beyond expectation
Executive Administrator/ Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 1, 2013
In addition to my extensive office experience, I have attended many business seminars on customer relations, and have obtained the skill set to maintain the diplomacy in customer satisfaction with mural and ethic boundaries. I have a background in Customer service, recently as an Administration assistant. In my most recent job description I was responsible to maintain financial transactions inputting relevant data into a computer system, managing the data base files responding to inquires, preparing correspondence and drafts, document processing, accounting, administration support, (HR)assistance, Inventory, Delivery, customer satisfaction.
Coordinating daily activities, determining immediate attention to delegate matters without compromising quality. I’m more than capable to offer administration and managerial support in the proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and Pro-Tools. I’m a strong planner and problem solver who can adapt to change
Pros
i was able to gain stronger internal management skills
Cons
the weather was un-variable
Interesting and fun, allowing me to meet residents and fellow students
Resident Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 23, 2015
A typical day at work included processing mail, inputting service requests, and completing small tasks for the leads throughout my shift. I learned how to properly manage multiple tasks and deal with student affairs while maintaining the security of the building I was working in. The management was great. My leads were helpful and professional, but since they were also students, they were also very understanding when it came to school and personal issues. My co-workers were fun to work with and could relate to me, since they were students as well. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a sunny disposition at all times and helping difficult residents when they refused to listen to anything and were rude just because. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new residents and making friends, and also being exposed to all the different students who lived in the residence halls, as well as the employees that made everything run smoothly.
Pros
Flexible hours, understanding leaders
Cons
Stressful at times, difficult residents
Friendly and supportive work environment
PAINTER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2014
The CSU school system was hit hard by the last recession. SFSU had to make a significant amount of cuts, one of which was the Paint department for approximately a five year period. During my time working there we were extremely busy, and constantly moving. I was fortunate to have a friendly and supportive group of professionals working beside me. Since I had worked in facilities the previous three years, under a different position, I had already developed friendships with virtually the entire employee body. These relationships assisted in my understanding of the dynamics at play in the facilities corridor. Navigating these dynamics was the hardest part of the job, however reaching out to experience proved to be sufficient in mitigating any potentially problematic misunderstandings.
Pros
experience within a state insitution
Cons
hierarchical obfuscation hinders progress
Effective learning and linguistic skills practiced
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2014
I would meet with the head of the department every week and correct assignments, file her documents, and sub- teach the class when she cannot make it.
I learned how to create a creative curriculum, I also did a lot of data entry. I did not have co workers because she only hires one person each semester. Fortanetly I was able to take classes with this teacher in the future and my boss was the one who signed all my graduation papers. Evidently since it was a College mostly all of the students were mature and well behaved.
Pros
helped with financing in college
Cons
permanent was not an option, because it was more of a student worker job.
Educational and rewarding
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2014
~ In a public health setting, I meet with my students at 10 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. to accommodate the stay at home elderly, the after school kids and the working adults. In the morning, I first meet with my students, and review their assignments for the day. Then we have questions and answer session and assess the program for the day.
~ At noon I supervise my students in their walking and exercise programs for the elderly.
~ 2:00 students prepare for their after school program.
~3:00 after school program for the children ages 4-17. Health screening, art activities, exercises and health teachings.
~ 4:30 students prepare and practice for adult programs
~ 5:30 Adult health screening and health teaching presentations.
~ 6:15 Socialization.
~ 6:45 post conference
~ 7 p.m. done for the day
This Fall 2014 students will have both public health nursing and skilled nursing facility training.
The paint shop is run slip shod!
Painter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 19, 2015
The two top employees of the shop don't have good management or communication skills. They had a difficult time with scheduling the 9 man crew. The next one in line spent more time on the phone, talking and walking around than working. His painting skill is only a second year apprentice, but he is permanent and has stated numerous times he doesn't need to work because of his status. He also tries to bribe people. He is the main reason moral is so low. no one was disappointed when we were laid off. We were temps.
Lucky to work in ORSP!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2012
The student assistant position at the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs was one of the most satisfying of my career. A typical day involved greeting incoming students and staff presently employed through grants issued by the department. Every person in the department was enthusiastic to provide as much support to their grantees as possible, to fund new research and maintain funding to existing programs that served the community and made San Francisco State University a destination for scholars and activists alike.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to assist the grant supervisors and support staff to secure funding for each scholar. We knew our work was appreciated and we were contributing to good work and good research.
SF STATE
Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2012
San Francisco State University has provided me with the proper resources to seek job at this program that helps high school students pursue higher education. GEAR UP is a well known program recognized at the university for not only helping only high school students but to help each other transform our views about high school. I tutor high school students in math and it is not easy because you have to sit there and explain every detail of why y is not the same as x. At the end of the day, when a student gets the problem I know I did my job by helping him or her understand a problem.
Student job, not very well payed, but great experience and good vibe.
Instructional Assistant at Summer Bridge Program (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2016
I worked at San Francisco State University as a tutor and as an Instructional Assistant. I could choose my own schedule, so it was easy to pair this job with my student's responsibilities.
The Learning Assistance Center is a great place, they taught me everything I know about tutoring. The vibe at work was great.
The Summer Bridge program was great to work at, but we had some compensation issues. It was hard to work with first-generation students, but I enjoyed seeing that I helped people to learn the core concepts of academic writing.
I love teaching here!
Ex Post Facto History Journal, Student Editor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 11, 2014
I went here as a student and now get to teach here. A typical day involves lecturing, reading student's papers and correcting quizzes, and replying to emails.

I have learned a lot about how to communicate verbally and how to write clear, concise lectures and emails.

I enjoy working with most of the students, but some students are not motivated. Me trying to motivate them is challenging, but also rewarding.
Pros
great social environment, lots of places to do work, free entertainment for students and coworkers on campus.
Cons
lack of benefits.
Great ideas to be learned!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2013
I was lucky enough to work side by side with the faculty who developed and fought for the Community Involvement Center on the San Francisco State University campus. Although he is an English professor, he is more of a philosopher and has dedicated his career to promotion of the learning process through service in the community.
I learned so much from him, felt the most intellectually stimulation compared to any other job, and really enjoyed walking students through their challenging learning process while they volunteered at various agencies in the community.
Fun Time With Chemicals
Instructional Support Technician II (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 6, 2013
It is a typical day at work when my manager does not come to work. I will take care of his responsibilities, too. In addition, we are already short of 1/2 position in our stockroom. I have learned about to work with people, chemicals and safety. I managed really well in organization all the work. My co-workers are nice and friendly. The hardest part of the job is to take care of gases because gas tanks are big and heavy for delivering. The most enjoyable part of the job is to take care of chemistry labs.
Athletic work study
San Francisco State Athletic Department (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 3, 2014
I basically did a lot of work study type of things for the athletic department to get hours in. I got to see the history of athletes who played whichever sport at SFSU before my time which was really cool. I filed all their paper work and team photos in organized areas for the department to start saving electronically. I also would attend volleyball, soccer, and track meets to help set up or take stats of games.
Pros
not having set hours
Cons
leaving the campus
SFSU review
Community Based Internship/Volunteer Coach/Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 29, 2012
SFSU has created a great learning environment for me over the years of my studies. I have also learned great networking skills with the many aspiring business people, healthcare majors, and other fine arts majors. Most importantly I have gained many skills and experiences when working with the human body and its many functions. It is here at SFSU where I earned my Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiology with an emphasis in Human Performance Analysis.
Pros
excellent teaching standards, great learning environment.
Cons
parking!!!
I helped the main teacher with projects for students in a sociology class that dealt with poverty.
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 28, 2013
I would post assignments through the SFSU database, as well as correct papers, and make the teachers syllabus as well as attend the classes every week. The classes were interesting but i mostly did the work to keep an income in college.
Pros
i got a good letter of recommendation after college and my schedule was flexible
Cons
no breaks only to use the bathroom and the teacher wasnt available as much
Productive, fun, and friendly environment
Employment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 21, 2012
My typical day of work as a human resource liaison is mostly maintaining all personnel paperwork and requests in addition to payroll transactions. Prepare new hires, changes, orientation, terminations mainly for student assistant but also assist my colleague with professional staff. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with all our staffs (professional staff and student assistants) and making sure they are all paid on time.
Pros
potlucks with all the departments

4.2