San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

Not the best environment to work
Director of Career Services and Development (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2016
This position was the worst experience of my life. My former manager (from the School of Business) was rude and mean. I will never accept a position with this organization again.
Pros
Working with students and graduates
Cons
paid once a month
Supportive Faculty
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 9, 2015
Supportive and fun staff who enjoy team building and working together to offer solutions and assistance. Management is supportive and provides expert guidance.
The paint shop is run slip shod!
Painter (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 19, 2015
The two top employees of the shop don't have good management or communication skills. They had a difficult time with scheduling the 9 man crew. The next one in line spent more time on the phone, talking and walking around than working. His painting skill is only a second year apprentice, but he is permanent and has stated numerous times he doesn't need to work because of his status. He also tries to bribe people. He is the main reason moral is so low. no one was disappointed when we were laid off. We were temps.
Instructional Equipment Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2015
SFSU is a great working environment. I love working with the students and supporting them when needed. If you like autonomy this is the place to work, however, if you have difficulty with too much autonomy of your work day this may be challenging.
Good work life balance
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2015
Good work life balance with flexible working hours. But not a lot of scope for doing creative work. Not for people who want to work on challenging tasks everyday.
San Francisco State University was a valuable experience.
Biochemical Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 10, 2015
San Francisco State University was a valuable opportunity for my growth and development as a future scientist. Team building and critical thinking were two important aspects in evolving our research. An essential part working at SFSU was the different ideas and interpretations that were tested in order to achieve a common goal.
Positive social environment
Mail Clerk/ Facilities & Ops Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2015
Great working environment for someone who is new to the campus, which allows me to learn about departments within the school.
Pros
Relationship with supervisor was great.
Cons
Want to learn new skills that would challenge me.
Student worker
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2015
If you are looking for a job while you are going to school, working on campus is a fantastic way to earn some money and valuable experience.
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2015
I do not have any review for san francisco state university. But overall the university is average. the proffesors are average and overall fees is high compared to quality of education.
Excellent Institution
SAN FRANCISCO STATE GRADUATE (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2015
First rate educational institution founded on diversity and academic excellence. The best institution I attended by far.
Middle School Wages, High School drama, College Campus
Resident Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 20, 2015
Zero job safety features - ineffective emergency training, difficulty getting hours, awful supervisors, minimal monthly payment, chaotic management that plays favorites and openly badmouths employees.
San Francisco State
Instructional Support Assist. (Former Employee) –  College of Creative ArtsOctober 14, 2015
A potentially dynamic employment environment, San Francisco State University offers the opportunity to be involved in a diverse and stimulating work situations.
Pros
Stimulating environment
Cons
Unprofessional management and administration
RIPE+ Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 26, 2015
Productive and fun environment. I learned to work well with a diversity of people and was able to develop and share my creative and professional skills.
A lot of reading, processing information, and categorization.
Research Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 17, 2015
Fun and interesting research project. I learned a lot about one particular artist and her contributions to the sociopolitical arts movement in North America. The project required a lot of reading and a strong discipline in meeting deadlines while working on other assignments. I developed a strong time management and analytical skills.
Interesting and fun, allowing me to meet residents and fellow students
Resident Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 23, 2015
A typical day at work included processing mail, inputting service requests, and completing small tasks for the leads throughout my shift. I learned how to properly manage multiple tasks and deal with student affairs while maintaining the security of the building I was working in. The management was great. My leads were helpful and professional, but since they were also students, they were also very understanding when it came to school and personal issues. My co-workers were fun to work with and could relate to me, since they were students as well. The hardest part of the job was maintaining a sunny disposition at all times and helping difficult residents when they refused to listen to anything and were rude just because. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new residents and making friends, and also being exposed to all the different students who lived in the residence halls, as well as the employees that made everything run smoothly.
Pros
Flexible hours, understanding leaders
Cons
Stressful at times, difficult residents
able to use campus facilities like ping pong table track and field etc
Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 5, 2015
Excelent work enviroment a typical day of work friendly and productive I learn to be around different background ethnicity's co-worker's where friendly and helpful the hardest part of the job was the weather and the most enjoyable part was to have a good steady job
relaxed and supportive
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 2, 2015
work on your own schedule. given a deadline. project was assigned, and expected to be finished by a certain day. working on computer simulations had a lot of downtime, so id typically come in after classes, set a script to run over night, and come back the next day to analyze results. coworkers were friendly and encouraging, often working on the same or similar projects.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
tedious
Wonderful work experience!!
Professor of sociology (Former Employee) –  SanJuly 30, 2015
Day: current social issues, student questions, open class discussion on specific topical issue of day--best part of day! No "hard" days!

Department/faculty support; high academic student maturity and skills; cool co-workers/environment.

Most enjoyable--student eager to share their views/opinions in class!
Pros
Going home with a smile!
Great work environment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 29, 2015
It was a great professional atmosphere to work in. I learned a lot about pushing to better myself everyday. My peers were very smart, outgoing, successful and so as a first-time employee in a professional environment, this influenced me to be just as organized and skilled as they are.
Pros
Leaders and director were very great at communicating with their peers
Productive and meaningful to work At SFSU
Chemistry Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 15, 2015
Working at San Francisco State University is a good place for students to gain working experiences and meaningful opportunities to the future success.
Pros
Great opportunities to gain work experiences
Cons
Short breaks

4.2