San Francisco State University

San Francisco State University Employer Reviews

Friendly and supportive work environment
PAINTER (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 6, 2014
Pros: experience within a state insitution
Cons: hierarchical obfuscation hinders progress
The CSU school system was hit hard by the last recession. SFSU had to make a significant amount of cuts, one of which was the Paint department for approximately a five year period. During my time working there we were extremely busy, and constantly moving. I was fortunate to have a friendly and supportive group of professionals working beside me. Since – more... I had worked in facilities the previous three years, under a different position, I had already developed friendships with virtually the entire employee body. These relationships assisted in my understanding of the dynamics at play in the facilities corridor. Navigating these dynamics was the hardest part of the job, however reaching out to experience proved to be sufficient in mitigating any potentially problematic misunderstandings. – less
Good Workplace and networking opportunities
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: discount on food vendors on campus
Cons: limited hours
Very energetic and occupied.
Responsibilities include the following:
1.Assist Associate Director of Finance in maintenance of Fiscal records.
2.Maintain Administrative files and keep information confidential.
3.Prepare and update spreadsheets for analyzing Financial Data. 4.Gained experience in working as a Team and being in a Managerial Environment.
Wonderful sense of making a difference in the world, campus culture
Assistant to English Department Chair (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2014
Pros: fantastic &very smart people, campus culture, cultural events
Cons: no investment/little infrastructure, bad morale because of it
Daily, I typically troubleshoot issues faculty have with HR.
Additionally, I work closely with the Dept. chair (we are one of the 3 largest departments on campus) on confidential faculty problems and projects (Retention/Tenure/Promotion paperwork, personnel issues).
On a regular basis, I take minutes for faculty meetings, assist in researching university – more... and college policy, and supervise staff in our main office as well as 3 satellite offices (including calling and chairing staff meetings).
Annually, I facilitate and conduct staff reviews. Every semester, I coordinate the filing, storage and use of student evals for faculty, for the purpose of hiring and RTP.
This time of year, I help coordinate our departmental festivities for graduation,and work with other staff to keep track of graduating students for our alumni database. I work closely with our front office administrator to help with graduation applications, scholarship applications and our bi-annual newsletter. – less
Best CSU in the world in my opinion!
IT Specialist for Web Applications and CMS (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 5, 2014
I am grateful for everything San Francisco State University has done for me and I'll always be a loyal alumni.
Effective learning and linguistic skills practiced
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2014
Pros: helped with financing in college
Cons: permanent was not an option, because it was more of a student worker job.
I would meet with the head of the department every week and correct assignments, file her documents, and sub- teach the class when she cannot make it.
I learned how to create a creative curriculum, I also did a lot of data entry. I did not have co workers because she only hires one person each semester. Fortanetly I was able to take classes with this – more... teacher in the future and my boss was the one who signed all my graduation papers. Evidently since it was a College mostly all of the students were mature and well behaved. – less
a good place to study to explore your future
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 29, 2014
I have learned a lot from this university. There are so many good professors who helps a lot in your work.
Productive and resourceful
Office Assistant, Office of the Vice President (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 18, 2014
Made time management events and coordination for the VP.
Scheduling and making appointments, combining office chores with managerial duties effectively.
well balanced but no benefits
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 5, 2014
Pros: meeting new people was always good
Cons: no benefits inside sfsu
low benefits from working at SFSU if you are just a student working there.
Very cool research
Student Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 27, 2014
I have loved doing research with my professor as it has taught me so much.
Fast Paced and Logic Probing
Decision Sciences Student Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: autonomy, strong learning environment
I walked students through key concepts in forecasting, inventory management, linear programming, capacity planning, and quality management.

I learned to quickly switch teaching styles as students were free to come in and ask any question they wish pertaining to operations management.
Good
Research Project (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2014
San Francisco State University
Design of a muscle mouse using muscle sensor and ATMega microcontroller
• A muscle sensor was used to record EMG signals from the muscles.
• These EMG signals were processed by the microcontroller ATMega.
I helped the main teacher with projects for students in a sociology class that dealt with poverty.
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 28, 2013
Pros: i got a good letter of recommendation after college and my schedule was flexible
Cons: no breaks only to use the bathroom and the teacher wasnt available as much
I would post assignments through the SFSU database, as well as correct papers, and make the teachers syllabus as well as attend the classes every week. The classes were interesting but i mostly did the work to keep an income in college.
I enjoyed working for SF State
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 14, 2013
Pros: being my own boss
Cons: federal work study
I couldn't stay at SF State because it was federal work study and also because I graduated college. I enjoyed the freedom to be my own boss as well as the skills I learned at this job.
Graduate Teaching Assistant at Digital Design Laboratory
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 26, 2013
Pros: knowledge
Cons: number of teaching hours in a week
A good place to teach students and learn a lot in the process. Tutored students, prepared assignments and solution materials for classwork. Administered examinations and assessed students performance.
Harmonious workplace
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 28, 2013
Pros: felixible hours, nice co-workers, clear division of work
My job is to assist professor in developing teaching materials and hold office hours. My co-workers are all friendly and easy-going. It has helped me develop my communication skills and taught me how to handle emergency situations that require fast response. I have also learned a lot of international business strategies and structures by doing this – more... job. – less
Very good place to work, good benefits and possibility for advancement
Assistant Professor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2013
Pros: very good place to work, good benefits and possibility for advancement
Cons: city very expensive
Responsible for teaching 3 courses, doing research and advising students
good university & good company
Computer Consultant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 9, 2013
good university & good company, good people, good management, good benefit
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 9, 2013
Tell us about:
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job

DO NOT include any personally identifiable information, such as names.
A lot of flexibility between work and classes.
Great experience for working with young children
Jumpstart Corps Member (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 21, 2013
- Worked one-to-one to prepare preschool children from low-income neighborhoods for school success.
- Implemented early childhood curriculum, supported family involvement, and promoted skill building.
- Collaborated with a team of 6 corps members to plan biweekly in-classroom activities.
Great for student positions.
Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 16, 2013
Works around your schedule and allows you to still be a student while working.