San Francisco State University Employee Reviews

Overall
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 29, 2017
The resident assistant job is often 24/7; my workday consistently changed based on what both I and my residents needed. I learned time management and delegation, how to form personal bonds with my co-workers and the residents. When SF State has a full, Professional Staff, management is professional and exciting. However, the community I worked in lacked the proper amount of consistent supervisors to continually make progress in the community and with the staff. Regardless, my community was tight-knit and supportive of each other.
Pros
Flexible hours, personal relationships with co-workers and residents, positive environment.
Cons
Lack of consistent and permanent supervisors, lack of communication.
Fun working in San Francisco State University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 23, 2017
As I am a Teaching Assistant I got to teach students which was a new experience to me. As I came under faculty now I experienced good management skills of the University. The workplace culture is very good. I enjoy spending time and working there.
Good school for busy students
Student (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2017
A diverse, educational environment for students. Classes are all day so students are able to work during the semester.
Excellent Program
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2017
At SFSU DI you get the chance to work on your inquieres and preferences to extended your knowledge as a future dietitian.
The Director of the program is approachable and is always willing to work with you to on your preferences.
It's also important to mention than most of the interns of my program graduated with a payed job.
SF State Work Life, Day to Day on Campus
Alumni Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 12, 2017
It's hard to work on campus as the duties and priorities in many departments shift from month to month. Also, the feels like there's unrest on campus with an unhappy student body who struggle to pay a rising tuition.
An affordable state university with potential to build an alumni and donor base.
Director for Development (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Donor calls for visits, research logistics for prospect lists, attend meetings with immediate reports bi-weekly. Hardest part- building a portfolio and meeting visit metrics at the same time. working with the AD and Coaches
Pros
Coaches and Student Athletes
Cons
Morale
Productive Workplace
Animal Care Technician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 8, 2016
San Francisco State University was a great place to start working in Animal Care. The Animal Care Facility was in the process of a change in leadership when I was hired and I had to help bring the facility up to all the standards.
Good
Personnel and Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 16, 2016
Worked with residents on site, difficult at times with troubled residents but managerial staff on site were extremely supportive! People were lovely and interesting. Learned communication,customer service, organization skills.
Great place to work with a very supportive team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 21, 2016
This job was very flexible and truly allowed me to be a student 1st and administrative assistant 2nd. I had great managers who made sure school was my number 1 priority. I worked with a great staff and had the opportunity to learn very valuable office experience.
Pros
flexible hours, great work life balance
Cons
low hourly wage, no health benefits
State budget makes job security unpredictable
Coordinator, Protection of Human Research (IRB) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 7, 2016
The work life balance is pretty good given the challenges to commuting to the campus location. Like any academic environment compensation is low. State budgets have a big influence on project funding. Unable to predict job security when cuts need to be made.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Commute to sunset district challenging, budget cuts
Work Study program with a youthful team and caring supervisors.
Assistant Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 6, 2016
My experience at San Francisco State Housing provided me with insight and patience in a professional administrative environment. It taught me valuable lessons in customer service by serving concerned students and parents. The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside my colleagues and the satisfaction of helping a customer with an issue. One of the hardest parts was serving an enraged customer, but with patience and integrity I was able to guide they're concern to the appropriate department.
Pros
Convience to home, Convience to school, Ability to work outside
Cons
Short Breaks
Good experience
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 19, 2016
Working at San Francisco State was a positive experience. The staff and co-workers were very supportive and administration was always willing to help
Amazing Learning Environment
Junior Web Developer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 6, 2016
I was accepted to this job with no web development experience. I was offered many opportunities to excel and was held to a high standard of work that constantly pushed me to be better. I had never touched the language used at this organization prior to working. within 2 weeks I had done an intensive course and was working on production level projects. Because of this job, I was able to explore general areas of interest and get experience with multiple types of projects
All Workder types welcome as well as different times
Student Tutor/Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 26, 2016
This university hires part-time, full time, interns as well as experiences and contract workers. They hire visa workers and consultants. Entry level candidates can get their start here and go on to better jobs.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 30, 2016
worked closely with professor to create and deliver an upper-division online course to 1000 students per semester; Acknowledged as best TA ever to work with professor and invited to continue serving in a technical advisory role after graduation.
Created examination and other assessment instruments; developed technological solutions which significantly reduced cheating and enhanced student learning.
Pros
work with excellent professor, learn more work experience
Wonderful experience
Associate/ Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 13, 2016
I loved working with students. The staff is also extremely helpful. I have grown as a teacher thanks to this school.
Fun but stressful
Metro Academy of Success Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 10, 2016
it is stressful at times because the kids are not always cognizant of what they are doing or how they affect others and the kids don't always listen but when they do listen it is a fun environment and you learn something new everyday working there.
Pros
Activities
Cons
Kids misbehave at times
A very good part time job for college student.
Learning Assistant Center (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 7, 2016
I worked at a tutor and the Learning Assistant Center provided flexible time schedule to accommodate my academic schedule. I love the management because they are very nice people who passionately take care of the tutors and fight for tutor's wage.
Pros
Flexible schedule, reasonable number of hours, and wages
Cons
Lab Instructor, Soil Mechanics Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Engineering buildingMay 27, 2016
I would recommend this as a place to work for anyone. working directly with students was very rewarding. Staff was very supportive
Pros
great learning environment
professional and friendly
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2016
My duties were to assist the office coordination for the Ed.D. Educational Leadership and Special Education Department. Since this is just a part-time job during my school, what I learned from here was mostly technical skills.
My co-workers were very nice and friendly to me, we usually had relaxing conversations about the works, and how to walk through that.
The hardest part was that I have to continuously learned how to use many computer softwares which I had been not familiar with; but that is also the most enjoyable part that I had a feeling of achieving something new.
Pros
pro and friendly culture, effective communication
Cons
some jobs required data entry, which could be a little bit boring