San Francisco State University

San Francisco State University Employer Reviews

The go to Gal
Business Manager, Student Health Center (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJune 15, 2013
Pros: good hours
Cons: no raise in 5 years
I did not have a typical day.
I learned a lot about health care, accreditation, credentialing, HIPAA, FERPA
Management in an union environment is challenging.
Fun co workers
Being the go to person in a busy clinic you never have down time you are always on.
The students who you are impacting
It's ok if you like public sector jobs
Academic Technology Consultant (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 7, 2013
Pros: stability
Cons: salary not competitive
If you like stability this is a good place to work...
I like it as it is really close to where I live.
There are not too many career advancement opportunities.
Close sense of community
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 8, 2013
As an instructor there, I have a lot of freedom and autonomy. Many of my co-workers are friendly and collaborate well with each other. This experience has developed me as a Mathematician.
Pro-Active and self driven communication beyond expectation
Executive Administrator/ Accountant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 1, 2013
Pros: i was able to gain stronger internal management skills
Cons: the weather was un-variable
In addition to my extensive office experience, I have attended many business seminars on customer relations, and have obtained the skill set to maintain the diplomacy in customer satisfaction with mural and ethic boundaries. I have a background in Customer service, recently as an Administration assistant. In my most recent job description I was responsible – more... to maintain financial transactions inputting relevant data into a computer system, managing the data base files responding to inquires, preparing correspondence and drafts, document processing, accounting, administration support, (HR)assistance, Inventory, Delivery, customer satisfaction.
Coordinating daily activities, determining immediate attention to delegate matters without compromising quality. I’m more than capable to offer administration and managerial support in the proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and Pro-Tools. I’m a strong planner and problem solver who can adapt to change – less
Great ideas to be learned!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2013
I was lucky enough to work side by side with the faculty who developed and fought for the Community Involvement Center on the San Francisco State University campus. Although he is an English professor, he is more of a philosopher and has dedicated his career to promotion of the learning process through service in the community.
I learned so much from – more... him, felt the most intellectually stimulation compared to any other job, and really enjoyed walking students through their challenging learning process while they volunteered at various agencies in the community. – less
Great exposure to academic research
Computational Chemistry Researcher (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2013
The scientific research environment at SFSU is very stimulating. Despite the fact that it's not an ivy league school there are great opportunities to learn and work with excellent scientists.
Great Support for Tutors
Tutor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2013
I really enjoyed working for the ETC at San Francisco State. The staff was extremely supportive and provided plenty of tools for both new and seasoned tutors.
Nice People
Office Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 9, 2013
I was only temp there, people there are super nice, chill environemnt, great benefits
SFSU review
Community Based Internship/Volunteer Coach/Mentor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 29, 2012
Pros: excellent teaching standards, great learning environment.
Cons: parking!!!
SFSU has created a great learning environment for me over the years of my studies. I have also learned great networking skills with the many aspiring business people, healthcare majors, and other fine arts majors. Most importantly I have gained many skills and experiences when working with the human body and its many functions. It is here at SFSU where – more... I earned my Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiology with an emphasis in Human Performance Analysis. – less
Productive, fun, and friendly environment
Employment Coordinator (Current Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 21, 2012
Pros: potlucks with all the departments
My typical day of work as a human resource liaison is mostly maintaining all personnel paperwork and requests in addition to payroll transactions. Prepare new hires, changes, orientation, terminations mainly for student assistant but also assist my colleague with professional staff. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with all our staffs – more... (professional staff and student assistants) and making sure they are all paid on time. – less
prepare for your tax
Personal Income Tax Prepare (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 30, 2012
nice experience to be a tax professional.
very warm working atmosphere.
Everyone work together and willing to help!
Productive and enjoyable environment to be in.
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule to accommodate school first, awesome breaks.
Cons: not enough hours in a week due to school schedules
Interacting with large numbers of students, staff and faculty; office support, word processing, scheduling appointments for individual students/faculty and class meetings in the lab facility. In addition, creating brochures, informational signs and other instructional material.
Lucky to work in ORSP!
Student Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2012
The student assistant position at the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs was one of the most satisfying of my career. A typical day involved greeting incoming students and staff presently employed through grants issued by the department. Every person in the department was enthusiastic to provide as much support to their grantees as possible, – more... to fund new research and maintain funding to existing programs that served the community and made San Francisco State University a destination for scholars and activists alike.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to assist the grant supervisors and support staff to secure funding for each scholar. We knew our work was appreciated and we were contributing to good work and good research. – less
Flexible
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAAugust 13, 2012
Comfortable environment, flexible hours. Picked up various skill sets that will help me in my future career.
SF STATE
Tutor (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMay 25, 2012
San Francisco State University has provided me with the proper resources to seek job at this program that helps high school students pursue higher education. GEAR UP is a well known program recognized at the university for not only helping only high school students but to help each other transform our views about high school. I tutor high school students – more... in math and it is not easy because you have to sit there and explain every detail of why y is not the same as x. At the end of the day, when a student gets the problem I know I did my job by helping him or her understand a problem. – less
Professional, Cross Culture Style
Project Assistant, College of Education (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 23, 2012
It's a wonderful place to work if you love challenges and fast-paced working environment.
Very friend working environment
Student Assistant/Interpreter (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 16, 2012
Very friend working environment, everyone is so helpful and nice.
It's a great experience of working at SFSU.
Interesting, good people, great benefits, budget cuts
Operations Manager (Current Employee), 835 Market StreetFebruary 19, 2012
The University is suffering from the financial crisis in the state of California. This has put strains on the internal systems making them less efficient. Great benefits package.
Great school with a diverse student body
Lecturer (Current Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 30, 2011
Pros: fun people who care about the subjects they teach
Cons: bureaucracy
The Department of Recreation, Parks & Tourism at San Francisco State University is takes extremely good care of its faculty and lecturers. However, budget cuts at the State-level have drastically reduced job security for lecturers (like myself) across the entire CSU and UC systems.