San Francisco State University Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful work experience!!
Professor of sociology (Former Employee) –  SanJuly 30, 2015
Day: current social issues, student questions, open class discussion on specific topical issue of day--best part of day! No "hard" days!

Department/faculty support; high academic student maturity and skills; cool co-workers/environment.

Most enjoyable--student eager to share their views/opinions in class!
Pros
Going home with a smile!
Cons
able to use campus facilities like ping pong table track and field etc
Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 5, 2015
Excelent work enviroment a typical day of work friendly and productive I learn to be around different background ethnicity's co-worker's where friendly and helpful the hardest part of the job was the weather and the most enjoyable part was to have a good steady job
Nice People
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 9, 2013
I was only temp there, people there are super nice, chill environemnt, great benefits
Productive and interactive job with good colleagues
Resident Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 12, 2015
Working as a resident Service Assistant in San Francisco State University has proved great opportunity. The management is very good and strict. I got to learn as well as interact with people from all around the world.
N/a
Director of Labor Relations (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 23, 2015
San Francisco State University is an excellent place to work. It provides good opportunities for advancement. I have enjoyed the atmosphere and energy that the students bring.
It is an easy going place to work and very supportive and understanding management personnel. Team work is extremely encouraged
Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 15, 2015
Interactive and challenging at the same time which stimulates the mind constantly. Great place to share experiences as well as helping each other solving problelms
Pros
flexible, fun, challenging
Cons
no benefit, not enough hours
Productive and meaningful to work At SFSU
Chemistry Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 15, 2015
Working at San Francisco State University is a good place for students to gain working experiences and meaningful opportunities to the future success.
Pros
Great opportunities to gain work experiences
Cons
Short breaks
Student Researcher
Researcher (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 22, 2015
Executing experiments involving the protein dimer, styrene monooxygenase. Studies included designing and performing kinetic activity assays, protein assays, cell culturing and growth, using statistical and graphing software to evaluate data, conducting experiments as an individual and as a team, and using molecular modeling software to assess the structure of target protein, identification of interacting residues and active site mechanisms.
Productive and fun workplace
Textbook Editor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 8, 2015
My responsibilities were clearly defined and the atmosphere was friendly. I would spend most of my day at a computer entering data into our database of students with disabilities. I scanned books into our electronic system and edited them using software programs like Omnipage and Kurzweil.
Lucky to work in ORSP!
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2012
The student assistant position at the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs was one of the most satisfying of my career. A typical day involved greeting incoming students and staff presently employed through grants issued by the department. Every person in the department was enthusiastic to provide as much support to their grantees as possible, to fund new research and maintain funding to existing programs that served the community and made San Francisco State University a destination for scholars and activists alike.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to assist the grant supervisors and support staff to secure funding for each scholar. We knew our work was appreciated and we were contributing to good work and good research.
GReat
Graduate Studies Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 8, 2015
i really enjoyed working at San Francisco State University. Great environment to work in . the campus needs to be more diverse with its employees
Cons
no diversity
Wonderful sense of making a difference in the world, campus culture
Assistant to English Department Chair (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 15, 2014
Daily, I typically troubleshoot issues faculty have with HR.
Additionally, I work closely with the Dept. chair (we are one of the 3 largest departments on campus) on confidential faculty problems and projects (Retention/Tenure/Promotion paperwork, personnel issues).
On a regular basis, I take minutes for faculty meetings, assist in researching university and college policy, and supervise staff in our main office as well as 3 satellite offices (including calling and chairing staff meetings).
Annually, I facilitate and conduct staff reviews. Every semester, I coordinate the filing, storage and use of student evals for faculty, for the purpose of hiring and RTP.
This time of year, I help coordinate our departmental festivities for graduation,and work with other staff to keep track of graduating students for our alumni database. I work closely with our front office administrator to help with graduation applications, scholarship applications and our bi-annual newsletter.
Pros
fantastic &very smart people, campus culture, cultural events
Cons
no investment/little infrastructure, bad morale because of it
My experience at SFSU was overall a great experience that I feel everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy!!!!
I was a student at SFSU (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 21, 2015
Learned a great deal about laws and the history of laws in the United States. The majority of my professors were tremendously helpful in advancing my understanding of the various institutions and their functions in society
Pros
Programs to assist me in attainig my goals.
Cons
Finacial assistance!!!!
Excellent
Web Manager - Part Time (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 6, 2015
This University is the embodiment of what a state university should be. The admin as well as the professor strive to make this a positive learning environment.
Great ideas to be learned!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2013
I was lucky enough to work side by side with the faculty who developed and fought for the Community Involvement Center on the San Francisco State University campus. Although he is an English professor, he is more of a philosopher and has dedicated his career to promotion of the learning process through service in the community.
I learned so much from him, felt the most intellectually stimulation compared to any other job, and really enjoyed walking students through their challenging learning process while they volunteered at various agencies in the community.
A great and fun loving experience
Tutor Meisters (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2015
-A typical day at Tutor Meisters always brings something new. I get to meet new people and reconnect with others. I get to help them with math problems and I really enjoy doing that because I have taken that course before and I understand where they are coming from. Most times I can completely relate because I was once stuck on the same thing and I found a different way to solve it so it's always nice to share that with my students.
-My co-workers are awesome and my co-manager is so understanding and motivating. Even during months when we do not get many students, he doesn't give up hope and he always pushes our colleagues and myself.
-The hardest part of my job is usually when I cannot solve a problem right off the bat and when I have my last lesson with my students and I have to stay good bye.
-The most enjoyable part of my job is when my students tell me how well they did in the course or on a particular test/quiz that I helped them with. Another enjoyable part is when they tell me how helpful my tutoring strategies and tips have been for them.
Pros
i love teaching and i love the subject of mathematics.
Cons
it's not a continuous and everyday job.
Tutoring two ASL students at S.F.State as ASL tutor
Sign Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  CAMay 11, 2015
I have tutored two Hearing students as ASL tutor. They have learned how practice to sign every ASL gestures in ASL. They know some parts of ASL in ASL because they were able to sign ASL in ASL successfully.
Pros
Tutoring two ASL students at S.F. State
Good colleagues great students.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2015
Department chair is more than helpful with any inquiries be it academic or faculty based. Co-workers are peers and thus always good to be around. Dedicated offices for office hours and students approach you for any type of problems and often are more intuitive than they think they are.

Overall great faculty environment. Monthly potluck and office parties for every holiday.
Pros
close to plenty of food shops, track and gym
Cons
close to plenty of food shops
Educational and rewarding
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2014
~ In a public health setting, I meet with my students at 10 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. to accommodate the stay at home elderly, the after school kids and the working adults. In the morning, I first meet with my students, and review their assignments for the day. Then we have questions and answer session and assess the program for the day.
~ At noon I supervise my students in their walking and exercise programs for the elderly.
~ 2:00 students prepare for their after school program.
~3:00 after school program for the children ages 4-17. Health screening, art activities, exercises and health teachings.
~ 4:30 students prepare and practice for adult programs
~ 5:30 Adult health screening and health teaching presentations.
~ 6:15 Socialization.
~ 6:45 post conference
~ 7 p.m. done for the day
This Fall 2014 students will have both public health nursing and skilled nursing facility training.
Pro-Active and self driven communication beyond expectation
Executive Administrator/ Accountant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 1, 2013
In addition to my extensive office experience, I have attended many business seminars on customer relations, and have obtained the skill set to maintain the diplomacy in customer satisfaction with mural and ethic boundaries. I have a background in Customer service, recently as an Administration assistant. In my most recent job description I was responsible to maintain financial transactions inputting relevant data into a computer system, managing the data base files responding to inquires, preparing correspondence and drafts, document processing, accounting, administration support, (HR)assistance, Inventory, Delivery, customer satisfaction.
Coordinating daily activities, determining immediate attention to delegate matters without compromising quality. I’m more than capable to offer administration and managerial support in the proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and Pro-Tools. I’m a strong planner and problem solver who can adapt to change
Pros
i was able to gain stronger internal management skills
Cons
the weather was un-variable

4.3