San Francisco Zoo Employee Reviews

Good volunteering opportunity
Zoo Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 31, 2017
This was a volunteering job so I wasn't compensated. The teachers were always respectful, so management was good. I learned a lot of patience since my job was to work with children. The hardest part of the job was getting the kids to listen but the most enjoyable part is seeing the animals.
Pros
Free drinks, discount food
Cons
Not really any cons
Productive & fun work place
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 20, 2017
It was a fun to work @ San Francisco zoo seeing the animals every is awesome. Love to work with happy place love what you & proving good customer services
Fun, productive, work place.
Retail/Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 1, 2017
Everyone in management was always enthusiastic, ready to work, and willing to help people. It was a fun, fast paced work environment, it made work fun to go to each day.
Pros
Free Lunches, paid weekly, animals around you on lunch break, free zoo tickets
Cons
Long hours, Lots of standing and walking, had to be willing to work over 40 hours
Great environment
Student Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 19, 2015
Being able to volunteer my time to the San Francisco Zoo was a great experience for me. It was difficult at times cause you had to watch 10 animals at ones and be sure that none of the were harming the animals and we had to be sure that guest were following all the rules. The most enjoyable part of the job was feeding the animal a very specific diet and getting to speak to the guest about the animal and telling them things that they never knew about them.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
short breaks and long days
The Zoo
graveyard security supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 18, 2015
I enjoyed this job very much, I was able to interact with our guests and all the animals I was able to see everyday. When we have Free Day, it's the most exciting day of every month because I get to meet all kinds of different people and also get to work in the Danger Zone where the Lions and Tigers are located.
Pros
the Entire Zoo and Staff members
Cons
no room for advancement
Great place, everyone had a common heart-felt goal
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 14, 2015
At the San Francisco Zoo, volunteer work was rewarding in a heartwarming way. Being able to reduce the workload of hardworking zoo employees who take care of animals and educate the masses about how the lives of several species are threatened by mankind with each passing day, the zoo employees have enough on their plate. Getting my hands dirty is not a choice I make lightly everyday, but the feeling of giving back to the community is almost always worth it. There's enough worry in everyday life that a little self sacrifice can help clear it for a while.
Pros
Feeling of Productivity, sense of community
Cons
Possible Physical Stain
wear house
Forklift (Former Employee) –  San Francisco CaMay 22, 2014
i would forklift the food for the animals and forklift them to the cages and i would also keep the wear house clean and also clean up after parties and cater some parties as well.
Service Systems Associates @ The San Francisco Zoo
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2014
Typical day at work included positioning all staff members under my supervision. Ensuring that they received their breaks and lunches in a timely manner. Inventory management and oversight of cafes under my control. The management was ever changing during my time there and a general lack of structure was abundant. My co-workers were all great and the work environment was typically tolerable. Management was sparse and an absence of training/accountability was consistently an issue. I learned a lot in my time there, but I must say that is because I seek out answers and not because I was trained properly.
Pros
Free food and free admission to zoo.
Cons
Inability to move up in company due to lack of positions, No annual or semi-annual reviews, No prospect of getting a raise, Poor company policies and very few relaible employees.
Best time of my life
Junior Zoologist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 26, 2012
I loved the time I spend at the san francisco zoo it was the most rewarding time of my life
Loved working with the animals
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 14, 2012
Great place to work, but hard to get an internship - was not accepted for internships 3 times.