San Joaquin Valley College

San Joaquin Valley College United States Employee Reviews

Respiratory Care Faculty and Students treated like Children
Instructor (Former Employee), Rancho CordovaMarch 12, 2015
Pros: interaction with the students
Cons: lack of true management support
As an instructor, core management treated faculty like children, even yelling at instructors. Concern was not for improving the quality of teaching skills. Core management team backed each other up instead of hearing the complaints of students. A few of the instructors actually had excellent respiratory care experience; however, most are recently out of school or have little to no clinical (hospital experience) yet they are teaching advanced mechanical ventilation and other basic respiratory therapy concepts.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of support by the management team. The most enjoyable part was inspiring adult learners to excel.
A productive and fun place with room for advancement
Cashier (Current Employee), Lancaster, CAFebruary 24, 2015
This job was the term of my schooling. By working the Student Center I learned how to work a point of sale system, I learned how to check inventory, cashiering, stock, customer service, and marketing.
Productive and fun place to work.
Financial Aid Manager (Former Employee), Ontario, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: family like atmosphere.
Cons: downsizing
Great place to work, family like atmosphere. Staff and faculty truly believe in the students. Actually looked forward to going to work every day!
Job Description
Federal Work Study Skills Tutor (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAFebruary 4, 2015
I would be responsible for logging in all new students and assisting them in the entrance exam. I would also monitor the computer lab and assist students. Also I would have private tutoring sessions with students to help with homework or projects.
Very nice place to work
Part Time Instructor (Current Employee), Visalia, CAFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: the classes are well structured.
Cons: only able to work part -time.
This is a very good job. I enjoy teaching the classes because of the way that they are fast paced. New classes every five weeks.
It used to be fun.....
Administration (Former Employee), CaliforniaDecember 30, 2014
Pros: working with the students and wonderful teachers.
Cons: harsh work environment and lack of leadership from the corporate office. value your employees, please!
This company used to be a great place to work. However, under the new leadership group....they have lost their way. The culture within the company has degraded to fear tactics as a way to motivate people to work hard. There are some very talented people working on the campuses...but everyone is so afraid to make a mistake for fear of losing their job.

The students are wonderful to work with. I miss them. However, it became to difficult to function in the harsh work environment. I hope they get back to what made them great in the past.
productive and fun place to work
Federal Work Student Tutor (Former Employee), Temecula, CADecember 18, 2014
As a tutor I would help fellow peers in math and English. The instructors were available for help and math teachers would ask for my assistant to help the students with homework. Management was friendly and easily contacted if needed.
Not employee friendly
Network Admin (Former Employee), BakersfieldDecember 14, 2014
Pros: some good co-workers
Cons: no loyalty to employees...most long term employees got laid off
Employees frequently asked to make sacrifices due to company finances each time a new campus was constructed. Except at the Corp level, most long term employees have been terminated. Don't expect a long career here.
Productive, fun, positive
Volunteer (Former Employee), Visalia, CAOctober 21, 2014
Pros: experience
I went to school for business administration at San Joaquin Valley College and during my time I volunteered for activities. It was a great experience to get involved with all the different programs students were going for and to help the community be a better place.
Enjoyable place to work
Health Care Administration Instructor (Former Employee), Visalia, CAOctober 7, 2014
Pros: time schedules were nice.
Cons: part-time, never guaranteed a class schedule
I really enjoyed this job, it was always changing! The other instructors were a joy to work with and were always willing to help if necessary. The hardest part of the job, was the fact that I was part-time, so I was never guaranteed a class schedule. However there were always an opportunity to substitute for other instructors. I also enjoyed the variety of students that came to my classes, they were always fun and made the time fly! If I had an opportunity to go back to teach I would.
Relaxed work environment
Student Tutor (Former Employee), Salida, CASeptember 11, 2014
I was a tutor at San Joaquin Valley College. I would tutor students in math and english. I really enjoyed helping people learn and achieve their goals.
amazing school
Industrial Technologist (Current Employee), Salida, CAJuly 24, 2014
fun place to learn at very productive school. Constantly challenging my abilities
Great place to work, students are awesome and amazing, just not enough work
CMA/CAMA Instructor (Current Employee), Modesto, CAJuly 18, 2014
Pros: great people to work with and i love my students
Cons: not enough students therefore not enough work/hours
The management has always been good to me and my co-workers are amazing. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching my students evolve from when they start the program to when they are completing the program.
Worst experience ever
Medical Assistant /CPR /First Aid Instructor (Former Employee), Ontario, CAJuly 11, 2014
worst place I worked with
Discriminative
highest rate of firing and lay off
the priority is not the students but their own benefits
Lies a lot to the students
Managers are away less qualified to supervise
Just politics who will stay and who will leave
Great post secondary school, offers part time hours for those who are working.
Full time student (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJune 30, 2014
Four hours attendance per program,

Get an certificate or degree in a short time than a standard junior college.

Staff and instructors are helpful and friendly.
General Education Instructor/ Business Instructor (Current Employee), Hanford, CAJune 18, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: inconsistant on student policy
I teach students business classes. My co-workers are great. They make it enjoyable to come to work.
Nice place to work, especially if you enjoy helping students achieve their career goals
HR Administrative Assistant to the Director (Current Employee), Modesto, CAJune 3, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere - i have gained valuable hr and payroll experience
Cons: no pension - very poor 401k plan
Busy! From the moment I walk through the door I am busy with student deposits; new hires and/or resignations; assisting employees with benefit information; responding to emails; seeing and working with employees and assisting with general questions and issues. Assisting the management staff with questions and issues. Completing payroll on a bi-weekly basis. Taking deposits to the bank each Friday. Co-workers are fun and full of questions. The hardest part of my job is assisting with terminations. Best part of my job is assisting employees and students.
Stable Job Environment
Allied Health Instructor (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAApril 8, 2014
Pros: salary compensation and half day fridays
Cons: management and budget difficulties
• Instructor for Health Care Insurance, Medical Assisting, and GenEd Programs.
• Responsible for creating, applying, and executing a variety of teacher instruction methods. Also responsible for implementing positive learning environment with ample opportunity for student engagement.
• Duties involve daily attendance, implementing assignments, creating and proctoring authentic learning assessments, maintaining a professional atmosphere and attitude in the classroom, and mediate any conflicts in a professional and positive manner.
• Member of Bakersfield Campus Emergency Response Team. Duties involve implementing emergency management services, responding and evaluating crisis situations in a skillfully and timely manner. Also responsible for coordinating, creating, and implementing a campus wide emergency action plan and mission statement.
• Hand selected member of SJVC First Day Team. Responsible for implementing
and training faculty on teacher instruction methods, classroom etiquette, student
improvement, and effective communication.
• Marzano Team Leader for Bakersfield Campus. Responsible for faculty training
regarding academic instruction methods, student success in the classroom, effective assessment techniques, and adaptability to new Marzano theories.
• Health and Wellness Chairperson. Duties involve coordinating and organizing
American Heart Association Go Red event, campus wide Health and Wellness fairs, training of faculty and staff, teamwork with Donald Ryhne, and health analysis
of staff and faculty medical data.
• Certified Instructor for student and staff CPR and First Aid
One of the worst places to work.
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee), CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: management, job security, work environment, the list goes on and on.
Overall, it was an incredibly poor experience. HORRENDOUS management (from corporate on down) and job security, the school itself lacks morals and integrity. They're to serve themselves, not the students. Whatever you do, do not work for these people.
I enjoyed working in a well diversed environment. I enjoyed the day to day challenges of assisting new students where to park their vehichles.
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: open campus. i was allowed to make necessary changes to security guards performance and parking
Cons: no advancement
A typical day at work starts with patroling the college perimeter, student, staff and faculty parking lots. Patroling all the campus buildings, assist in planning upcoming events, writing reports and breifing other security officers.While working in a diversified environment, one of the main points that I learned and appreciated is that you can not take good or bad interaction with students, staff or faculty personal. The management team was very focused and committed in keeping their promise to the students; education and job placement. My co-workers and I worked side by side on a daily basis to accomplish core values and goals for the students. I had a good report with my co-workers. Because I like for tasks to be done right the first time, the hardest part of the job is delegating. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing the students get their education and jobs placed in their fields of expertse.

1 2 3

About San Joaquin Valley College

San Joaquin Valley College is a leader in career-oriented higher education, offering accelerated career training in business, – Read more

San Joaquin Valley College Salaries