San Joaquin Valley College

San Joaquin Valley College Employer Reviews

Worst experience ever
Medical Assistant /CPR /First Aid Instructor (Former Employee), Ontario, CAJuly 11, 2014
worst place I worked with
Discriminative
highest rate of firing and lay off
the priority is not the students but their own benefits
Lies a lot to the students
Managers are away less qualified to supervise
Just politics who will stay and who will leave
Great post secondary school, offers part time hours for those who are working.
Full time student (Former Employee), Modesto, CAJune 30, 2014
Four hours attendance per program,

Get an certificate or degree in a short time than a standard junior college.

Staff and instructors are helpful and friendly.
General Education Instructor/ Business Instructor (Current Employee), Hanford, CAJune 18, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: inconsistant on student policy
I teach students business classes. My co-workers are great. They make it enjoyable to come to work.
Nice place to work, especially if you enjoy helping students achieve their career goals
HR Administrative Assistant to the Director (Current Employee), Modesto, CAJune 3, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere - i have gained valuable hr and payroll experience
Cons: no pension - very poor 401k plan
Busy! From the moment I walk through the door I am busy with student deposits; new hires and/or resignations; assisting employees with benefit information; responding to emails; seeing and working with employees and assisting with general questions and issues. Assisting the management staff with questions and issues. Completing payroll on a bi-weekly – more... basis. Taking deposits to the bank each Friday. Co-workers are fun and full of questions. The hardest part of my job is assisting with terminations. Best part of my job is assisting employees and students. – less
Stable Job Environment
Allied Health Instructor (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAApril 8, 2014
Pros: salary compensation and half day fridays
Cons: management and budget difficulties
• Instructor for Health Care Insurance, Medical Assisting, and GenEd Programs.
• Responsible for creating, applying, and executing a variety of teacher instruction methods. Also responsible for implementing positive learning environment with ample opportunity for student engagement.
• Duties involve daily attendance, implementing assignments, creating – more... and proctoring authentic learning assessments, maintaining a professional atmosphere and attitude in the classroom, and mediate any conflicts in a professional and positive manner.
• Member of Bakersfield Campus Emergency Response Team. Duties involve implementing emergency management services, responding and evaluating crisis situations in a skillfully and timely manner. Also responsible for coordinating, creating, and implementing a campus wide emergency action plan and mission statement.
• Hand selected member of SJVC First Day Team. Responsible for implementing
and training faculty on teacher instruction methods, classroom etiquette, student
improvement, and effective communication.
• Marzano Team Leader for Bakersfield Campus. Responsible for faculty training
regarding academic instruction methods, student success in the classroom, effective assessment techniques, and adaptability to new Marzano theories.
• Health and Wellness Chairperson. Duties involve coordinating and organizing
American Heart Association Go Red event, campus wide Health and Wellness fairs, training of faculty and staff, teamwork with Donald Ryhne, and health analysis
of staff and faculty medical data.
• Certified Instructor for student and staff CPR and First Aid – less
One of the worst places to work.
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee), CAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: management, job security, work environment, the list goes on and on.
Overall, it was an incredibly poor experience. HORRENDOUS management (from corporate on down) and job security, the school itself lacks morals and integrity. They're to serve themselves, not the students. Whatever you do, do not work for these people.
I enjoyed working in a well diversed environment. I enjoyed the day to day challenges of assisting new students where to park their vehichles.
Campus Security Officer (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: open campus. i was allowed to make necessary changes to security guards performance and parking
Cons: no advancement
A typical day at work starts with patroling the college perimeter, student, staff and faculty parking lots. Patroling all the campus buildings, assist in planning upcoming events, writing reports and breifing other security officers.While working in a diversified environment, one of the main points that I learned and appreciated is that you can not – more... take good or bad interaction with students, staff or faculty personal. The management team was very focused and committed in keeping their promise to the students; education and job placement. My co-workers and I worked side by side on a daily basis to accomplish core values and goals for the students. I had a good report with my co-workers. Because I like for tasks to be done right the first time, the hardest part of the job is delegating. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing the students get their education and jobs placed in their fields of expertse. – less
Excellent place to work.
Pharmacy Technology Instructor (Current Employee), Hesperia, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Enjoy working here. Great management team. Flexible schedule.
Bad
Career Services Advisor (Current Employee), Ontario, CADecember 9, 2013
Pros: friday 1/2 days
Cons: management
There is no job security and they don't take care of there employes
Problem solver and great interpersonal skills.
Assistant (Former Employee), Visalia, CaliforniaDecember 4, 2013
I am a self-starter and motivated by working in each position as if it was my business so that I care about each detail and the overall goals and focus of the business I work in. In addition I bring great communication skills whether written or spoken and listening.
I am known to be honest with a great work ethic and integrity and that is how I work – more... and interact with all in the workplace. – less
Productive and rewarding
Instructor (Current Employee), Temecula, CAOctober 31, 2013
Pros: great management
Cons: short breaks; no benefits
There is so much support from management and yes while you don't get true 'breaks' you do get fri through sun off and hours are manageable. Lots of opportunities to branch out into other classes as well. Student culture can sometimes feel like you are babysitting more than instructing but with today's general culture that's going to be almost anywhere.
Great Values
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee), Hesperia, CAOctober 28, 2013
Pros: managing personal success
Cons: management support
Enjoyed working with students one on one. Managaging personal successes. Learned the value of financial aid awareness. Working with minimal management support.
Review
Career Advisor (Former Employee), Hanford, CAOctober 27, 2013
Pros: i was able to work one on one individually with students, and on a daily basis accomplished matching graduates to positions in their field.
Cons: i would like to have had more time for each student.
I enjoyed working at San Joaquin Valley College as a Career Advisor. I was part of a 3 person Management team which helped to develop the professional, interview skills and workplace etiquette skills of all attending students. I was able to teach a course on these topics and secure jobs for graduating students.
Had me alter my time sheet to not pay California Meal Penalty
HVAC Instructor (Former Employee), Hesperia, CAOctober 12, 2013
Pros: positive students, school uniforms
Cons: disingenuous management, organizational priorities
SJVC Hesperia Campus is all about the money. They fail to provide raises after the second year, and once when I subbed for three additional classes, and should have received two California Meal Penalties, I was told to "fix" my time card, which was fraudulent. Instructors in my department were allowing students to leave an hour early, watch the Thursday – more... Night Football NFL game on the projector, and not teach the curriculum SLO for the mod, and when I asked for, and received permission to work a half schedule 6 months in advance, I was written up for taking this time off. SJVC is more concerned about Food in the Classroom, Dress Code and Student Attendance then they are about making sure students learn in the classroom what they need to be learning. SJVC employees are indeed lucky if they can make it past the two year mark. I did enjoy the positive attitudes that the students had, and will always wish them the best. – less
Productive and fun to work for
Financial Aid Officer (Former Employee), Modesto, CAOctober 8, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job it was the students and staff
Student's learning was a pleasant experience
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Visalia, CASeptember 22, 2013
Student were job ready by the time they graduated from this institutuions
Excellent Teachers
Respiratory Therapy Student (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 27, 2013
Very effective program. Very hard but you must take the time to study.
Whirl wind of confusion, lack of training and lack of leadership
Hard worker (Current Employee), Central valleyAugust 2, 2013
Pros: as i was told one time by corp, my pro is my paycheck
Cons: lack of leadership, corp doesn't care about employees only making money
SJVC Visalia has taken a giant spiral downward. There is a definite lack of management. Either they use a scare tactic, when the admissions advisors do not meet their start date goal. The manager of the admissions department goes around and even in the admissions meeting tells everyone that their jobs could be on the line. Some people are worried and – more... some people just don't care anymore. It is a for profit college, and that is the main goal to make money. The original goal of providing an education has gone out the window. The gossip and the negativity is a major problem and no one does anything about it. Don't think that the Corporate office or what ever they want to be called now cares. If you have ever been a part of one of the combined annual trainings, you would know that all employees at the campuses are expendable and can be replaced. This is from someone who has seen it all. – less
fun
Volunteer (Current Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAJune 25, 2013
Pros: fun
Cons: fun
I volunteer this is not a paid position. great experience wokring with present and former law enforcement officers.
Life experiences everyday when a new student enrolls to continue their education
Receptionist/Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee), Fresno, CAMay 27, 2013
Pros: changing a life everyday
Cons: possible lay offs
Preparing students financial aid
The greatest pleasure is seeing an individual changes their lives right in front of me by taking that next step in continuing their education.