San Joaquin Valley College

San Joaquin Valley College Employee Reviews

Good people, not management
Admission Representative (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAOctober 24, 2016
The people I worked with were great. Aside from that, the school is a typical for-profit college. Nothing More. Please be aware of this if going into Admissions.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Management, pay, work life balance.
Wonderful Caring Employees and Management
Librarian (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJuly 4, 2016
Management allowed me to create a library for the Rancho Cucamonga location from scratch. A father of one of the Dental Hygiene students donated his entire collection of decades of bound dental journals which allowed us to open this new location with a new library with decades of bound journals in dentistry.

The same year, we opened a program in Respiratory Therapy with a fantastic faculty that were adored by the students. I still have an illustrated cup with drawings of the professors that was made by a student.

The library director at the home campus in Visalia, CA called me one day and asked my birthday because she said, when she talked to me she felt like she was talking to herself. I told her I didn't believe in things like horoscopes, but my birthday was February 25 and I asked when hers was. She replied, "February 26."

The hardest part of the job was leaving.
Pros
Coworkers and management
Cons
leaving the physical campus for online
Love this place!
Medical Office Administrator Instructor (Current Employee) –  Delano, CANovember 29, 2016
Prepare graduates to work in an office for a healthcare practice, healthcare facility, or insurance company. Instructing students on how assign correct ICD-10 and CPT coding, processing insurance claims, general booking, scheduling patient appointments, managing medical records. Provide students with the responsible skills needed to manage a medical office. Present well prepared, organized, and clear lectures as well as classroom activities that tie into the course syllabus. Promote students development and enforce school policies.
Diverse group of professionals
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 1, 2016
Diverse group of professionals to work with but not a lot of communication and collaboration across departments. All positions are heavily micromanaged by corporate and there is little opportunity for advancement unless you have been with the company for a long time.
Loved My Students
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 18, 2016
SJVC provided me with an excellent experience of professional development, awesome dedicated coworkers, and an awesome group of diverse students who wanted to learn!
Management was a little to conservative and didn't take the real time to learn what "We" as instructors really did in the classroom! Credit was never given when should of. Fortunately, my students learning and advancements acknowledged that I taught them well!
Hardest part of the job: having to work with a young manager with no people skills.
Most enjoyable part of the job: my students faces when they had that "aha" moment! Best thing ever!
Love my hours and the people I work with
Pharmacy Technology Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hesperia, CANovember 21, 2016
As a mom, having a schedule that you can come home at noon is the greatest thing ever. Also the management is VERY supportive! I love the people I work with. It makes each day fly bye :)
Excellent place to work. Flexible schedules, great teamwork
Executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAAugust 21, 2016
Zero micro managing. Love the autonomy. It's a very family oriented place to work and pays well. Perks include free ballgames, concerts and other sporting events.
Pros
Perks (ballgames/concerts) and schedule flexibility
Cons
Upper management communication could be better
Awesome Place To work
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 26, 2016
I have been with the Online Campus since January of 2016 and I have enjoyed the whole process, staff, and students. They remember you on special occasions by sending you video messages and little gifts in the mail. They are consistent and reliable.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
None at this time
One of the best employers to work for!
Student Accounts / Auditor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAJune 3, 2016
A typical day was pretty routine, almost mundane. However, the people I worked with were great. Both middle management and upper management were very supportive. One of the hardest aspects of the job was beating the monotony of the work by introducing different methods to complete the job.
Love the Environment
First Contact (Current Employee) –  Hanford, CAAugust 3, 2016
i truly enjoy working for this company. It is such a small campus and we are like family. I want to grown and move up from where i am as a receptionist. I have been in the front office since December of 2014. I have a degree in Business Administration and plan on furthering my education.
Satisfaction derived from changing lives
Instructor (Current Employee) –  CalifJuly 7, 2016
Like most instructors I worked in Industry most of my professional life. It was a shock to be treated as disposable by this employer.
What has kept me here for 6 years is that I've had the great pleasure of passing along my trade to a new generation.
Pros
Change lives
Cons
underappreciated and poorly paid
Typical day at work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 13, 2016
Received 150 call per hour, maintain a clean working area and lobby. Data entry made sure spelling was correct and obtained all information required, received three precision performance for 90% accuracy on my phone call review. Translator for financial aid. Registrar back up 30% of the time, made sure all documents are signed and program code and session where correct, if incorrect I would have to add a note to the student file and send it back to the admissions advisor. What I learned at San Joaquin Valley College was how to work well under pressure and on my own when I was working 12 hour shifts for a month from 7am to 7pm.All of my co-workers where friendly and nice, they made sure the prospective students had a good experience there and not only by them but for my self also as I worked as their first contact I was the eye that the students saw first. I had to make sure I was very presentable and very nice and courteous. The hardest part of the job was when it was just my self working in the front 12 hour shift. The most enjoyable part at my job was when a student rang the bell as a tradition that they became an official student the smile in there faces was the best part of that job.
Nice place to work, especially if you enjoy helping students achieve their career goals
HR Administrative Assistant to the Director (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 3, 2014
Busy! From the moment I walk through the door I am busy with student deposits; new hires and/or resignations; assisting employees with benefit information; responding to emails; seeing and working with employees and assisting with general questions and issues. Assisting the management staff with questions and issues. Completing payroll on a bi-weekly basis. Taking deposits to the bank each Friday. Co-workers are fun and full of questions. The hardest part of my job is assisting with terminations. Best part of my job is assisting employees and students.
Pros
Good atmosphere - I have gained valuable HR and Payroll experience
Cons
No pension - very poor 401k plan
interesting, and short staffed with qualified instructors
Supervisor Barry Westling (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CA 93291March 31, 2016
1.respiratory program lacking in management
2.Program lacking in qualified instructors.
3. Culture was stressing
4. Not sure who would call in, and others had to cover
5. my coworkers who were qualified left,
Had me alter my time sheet to not pay California Meal Penalty
HVAC Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 12, 2013
SJVC Hesperia Campus is all about the money. They fail to provide raises after the second year, and once when I subbed for three additional classes, and should have received two California Meal Penalties, I was told to "fix" my time card, which was fraudulent. Instructors in my department were allowing students to leave an hour early, watch the Thursday Night Football NFL game on the projector, and not teach the curriculum SLO for the mod, and when I asked for, and received permission to work a half schedule 6 months in advance, I was written up for taking this time off. SJVC is more concerned about Food in the Classroom, Dress Code and Student Attendance then they are about making sure students learn in the classroom what they need to be learning. SJVC employees are indeed lucky if they can make it past the two year mark. I did enjoy the positive attitudes that the students had, and will always wish them the best.
Pros
Positive Students, School Uniforms
Cons
Disingenuous Management, Organizational Priorities
Love!
Online Faculty and Course Developer (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJuly 1, 2016
I love every moment of working here. The co-workers, students, and supervisors are the greatest people ever. The most enjoyable part of the job is the students!
Pros
ALL
Cons
NONE
Great company but needs clear direction and organization.
Online Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMarch 28, 2016
People are enjoyable and working with students brought fulfillment. The management needs to have clear direction of the organization and continue to develop processes and procedures that are clear and defined.
Productive and rewarding
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Temecula, CAOctober 31, 2013
There is so much support from management and yes while you don't get true 'breaks' you do get fri through sun off and hours are manageable. Lots of opportunities to branch out into other classes as well. Student culture can sometimes feel like you are babysitting more than instructing but with today's general culture that's going to be almost anywhere.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Short breaks; no benefits
Maybe not the best employment choice
Career Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAApril 10, 2016
Low pay for job duties, minimal on the job training from manager. The hardest part was learning how they get their high graduation rates and having to assist students/graduates in interviewing and landing jobs they were not qualified for because they did not have a proper education.
Potential to be a good employer
Adult Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hesperia, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Fun place to work with the excitement of students in a growing campus, Great new employee training program and great incentive rewards. The hardest part of the job was trying to stay out of the frequent office politics involving some employees and obvious favoritism. The enjoyable part of the job was the steady flow of students visiting my office to refer friends or update me on their progress.
Pros
Fun and exciting campus
Cons
Hard to get personal time off approved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Joaquin Valley College. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7