San José State University Employee Reviews

Fun to work with students. Few opportunities for career advancement.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 14, 2016
The mission of SJSU is great. The vibe on campus is great. Unfortunately it is common that good employees get stuck in a job classification and there are few opportunities for salary increases and promotions.
Pros
Diverse student body. Important mission. Good medical benefits.
Cons
Few opportunities for upward mobility.
You must have a mission to work here
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 26, 2016
You will be pressured to work many hours past what you will be paid for. As an exempt employee, your work will dictate the hours. In order to do a great job, you must be willing to take initiative and face adversity.
Productive and Live Place to work
Interim Coordinator for (FASL) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 29, 2015
San Jose State University is a Jewel of the Silicon Valley. Tucked in the heart of northern California between San Francisco and Monterey it is quite the treat. I am very thankful to have spent ten years on that thriving, beautiful and ever evolving campus.
Great school!
Supervise, lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 5, 2014
Great environment, very diverse! The school has an up to date student health center being built, and it is going to be amazing! The Peer Health Education program is very unique to the school and offers special wellness and health promotion services that you do not see at many other campuses.
challenging and rewarding workplace thriving on a foundation of celebrating diversity
Teachers' Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CaliforniaAugust 14, 2013
Being a teacher means no day is the same; both the professor and the student face daily challenges. What I enjoy most about my profession is the ability to create an environment where students develop a thirst to improve their communication proficiency in Spanish. I also appreciate the interaction with my colleagues who share the same goals, as their experiences contribute to my professional growth. I enjoy the chance to turn difficult tasks into opportunities to improve my students' education. For instance, a student who may be shyer than his classmates poses a challenge to me as his teacher because I must find a way to connect to him and make him feel comfortable participating in class. Although at first it may seem hard, the satisfaction of seeing him communicating with confidence makes the hard work worth it. I love my profession because I believe communication is a person's most valuable resource for personal growth.
Productive and Educational
NIH RISE Program (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 16, 2013
My job is great for me because I enjoy research. My work schedule is fairly flexible and my PI is very understanding when it comes to balancing work and school. My favorite part about my job is that I enjoy the work I do and it does not seem like a hassle since I am actually interested in it.