San Jose State University Employee Reviews

University faculty
Nursing faculty (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 15, 2017
The vast majority of the nursing department are awesome to work with. Salary and benefits are typical state university system. Very supportive department head
Pros
University benefits
Cons
Clinical facilities can be challenging
Good
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 11, 2017
I worked with students in different department, such as Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering. We have a good working environment and good culture.
Engaging workplace with energetic students
Teaching Associate (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 10, 2017
Typical adjunct position in a CSU school. Facilities are well maintained. Students are engaged and interested in their education. Dean from my college was actively interested in the activities and growth of my department.
Workplace considerate to students
Science 2 Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 22, 2017
The job was very flexible for the employee's class schedule and even worked along with the employee's to assure that their grades were maintained. I only officially worked for this office for one semester but other semesters prior I would help set up student events/etc. I would have worked for them more if I did not already have another job that I was working at full time.
Instructional Student Assistant in Management Information Systems
Instructional Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 20, 2017
This is for a coding class. Because I was very in tune with all the coding ups and downs that people generally go through in projects, it was a very easy job. It was very enjoyable helping people out with programming and there was no downs to the job other than pay
Great place to learn and work
Graduate Assistant for Desire 2 Learn (Former Employee) –  virtualMarch 17, 2017
I worked as a Graduate assistant while completing my degree. It was a great experience. My superiors guided me through the whole process and helped me learn new technology
SJSU Student Assistant
Operations Maintenance Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 8, 2017
Working at SJSU was one of my best professional experiences principally due to the fun workplace, flexible schedule, and free events employees could attend every month.
I was a student assistant in the operational maintenance department of the event center.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Teachers are medium level
TA (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 5, 2017
Teachers are medium level, they are not responsible. You have to learn yourself and the load is heavy. Homework is a lot.
My work is to grade student's work
being a university, it was fun to workk
Sports official (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 1, 2017
As sports official I got to learn how to handle two teams and work with them so that the game can be finished at the proper time. Time management skill was also enhanced while working and being fit was the best thing that I had learned while working at san Jose state.
Pros
place to meet lot of new talent, and was fun to be with everyone
Cons
too much of physical fatigue
Good jobs for students
Video Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 16, 2017
It was fun working at the same place I went to school. I didn't have to commute far. The one thing I didn't like was that I had to be paid once a month.
Helping Mentor and plenty to learn
IT Helpdesk Technician- Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 7, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job is to go tp different places and solve technical issues instead of just sitting in front of a PC. Diversified employment, hence making international network and understanding each other's situations.
Learning practical applications in Computer Networking.
Pure professional environment and ethical working culture.
Nice experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 6, 2017
You have to conduct labs and teach students.
Maximum 10 hours per week required to be given.
have access to facilities given to faculty
duties
set exam papers, quiz
guidelines are given on what content must be taught
you are free to take approach suitable for you while teaching.
Wonderful place to learn!
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 23, 2017
Worked here while earning my undergraduate degree in Child Development. It was an amazing experience and taught me how to best interact with preschool-aged children. I learned how to teach students conflict resolution skills, communication skills, discussion skills, sharing, and many other life skills. It was a prime time to learn classroom management skills, too.
Great hands on experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2017
A typical day at work would be coming into the laboratory in Duncan Hall, and work on the current project. From having hands on experience in the laboratory, it is a much better way to tie what is learned in class to an actual workplace.
Good school
Student (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 20, 2017
SJSU is a good school and i enjoyed my time going there. It was challenging and fun and enjoyable. i wish the programs were a little more progressive to keep up with the skills that are desired in the job market
Excellent and Productive Staff
ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 10, 2017
A truly positive teaching experience in every way! Very professional with many benefits and excellent classroom accommodations.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Depends mostly on where and under whom you work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 3, 2017
Mostly the work environment is friendly and the staff is nice. As I was a TA under a professor with whom I got along very well, my work experience was very good. This might differ from professor to professor.
Pros
Friendly environment
OAT for life
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 8, 2016
Being an Orientation Leader at SJSU was life-changing. I highly encourage anyone who is trying to get involved to apply for this job. It is competitive, but the training and specs you receive after the summer is unforgettable.
Lots of older gen
Student Employee - Institutional Repository (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 16, 2016
It was a fun place to work. There was always snacks brought into the area. Has a lot of older generation folks so they do work a bit slow.
Great environment
Captioner (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 10, 2016
Really enjoyed working on campus for students that are hard of hearing. The majority of the faculty was very accommodating and aware of certain needs regarding my set up for my service as captioner.
Pros
great environment
Cons
no healthcare option and parking is hard to find

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Jose State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3