San Jose State University Employee Reviews in United States

Lecturers
Professor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 6, 2015
Every year our benefits are reduced. Even now we are battling for a 5% raise (the first in 10 years!).
Health care is exceptional, however, and they offer retirement--pension, not 401k's.

There is camaraderie among lecturers and some tenured professors, but management can be aloof in the English Department.

You are paid for class time and office hours, but not for all the weekends you grade papers.
Pros
good health care
Cons
pay, hours, security
Great atmosphere if you like athletics.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 14, 2015
This was a great place to work. I really enjoyed my co-workers and the exciting culture the job provided. I went into this position not knowing much about college athletics and by the time I left I had learned a lot.
Pros
culture, people.
Cons
compensation, room for advancement.
Flexible with time
SJSU - Student Assistant Lead (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I'm a Student and work as an Student Assistant Lead and not a full time employee. I would rate SJSU as a good place to work for students like me on Campus because the management is flexible enough to understand our needs and schedule work hour accordingly, which is an important thing for us.
Great Academic Department
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2015
It was great working for an academic department at SJSU. The department chair, faculty, and staff were fabulous. The typical work day varied from day to day. Our main office assisted faculty, staff, students, prospective students, and walk-ins. I loved working with different kinds of people and being able to use my skills and creativity. Also, it was great to see our alumni return for visits and share their successes with us. I did not like the department which oversaw ours because they micromanaged, making the workplace more stressful while we were already doing good work in a positive environment and working hard.
Pros
Immediate Department, Benefits
Cons
Micronamagement by Other Department
Great opportunity and freedom to truly teach
Graduate Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 19, 2015
Teaching typical college classes and all it entails. Colleagues and superiors are incredibly helpful, inclusive, supportive, and creative. There is a great culture among the teachers. There are lots of opportunities to teach different classes and subjects.
Pros
Teaching students, community, flexibility
Cons
compensation
Productive place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 26, 2016
Good place to work. Good and smart mentor. Research opportunities are good. Interesting and productive work.

Growing and changing work environment.
Good College Job
EVENT OPERATIONS STAFF - LEAD (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2015
This job is convenient while attending school either at San Jose State University or the surrounding schools. Work shifts vary upon what is on the event calendar. It ranges from setting up chairs to monitoring the on-goings of an event. Events range from basketball games to large scale concerts.
The management here is sparse and unaccountable so for the most part it is left up to the staff and Leads to make sure tasks get done accordingly and on time.
The hardest tasks of the job are perhaps the basketball court set/strikes. They're guaranteed hours but you definitely put you to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is probably your coworkers.
Pros
Decent pay for a college job
Cons
Management accountability
Instructional Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 2, 2016
I worked here for a little over a year and have to say that it was a positive experience that taught me several things about how the CSU school system operates. I got to work with students, teachers and administrators alike and found it to be very hard, but also very rewarding.
Benefits
Cons
Long commute
Unsupportive. Did not provide tools to do the job.
Lecturer part-time temporary (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 16, 2015
Difficult. No opportunities in the department to advance. No support or training. Universities have their quirks, but this was not a fun place to work at all. Management does not listen to the lecturers.
Pros
Diverse student body, but not faculty (in this department). Sometimes students were wonderful.
Cons
Low pay. No support. A long commute for little reward.
First job in United States of America.
Front desk student assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 28, 2015
It was my pleasure to work as a student assistant at san jose state university.

It gave a good exposure to lot of people from different cultures and helped me develop my people skills.

It was a good experience for my overall growth as person.
School
Senior Project: Spartan Superway (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Each of my core classes involve a term project requirement that needs to be fulfilled. The term project usually involves a group of 3 or 4 people, who will work together to complete their desired project. From term projects, I have gain valuable team working skill that has improved my communication skills within the team and to others.
good place to start your teaching career
Teaching Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 3, 2016
taught some remedial classes. Most students are freshmen who need to fulfill math requirements. Teaching the classes are easy, but students lack motivation.
Great program
Project Researcher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 14, 2016
The SJSU Industrial Organizational Psychology program consists of 12 individuals and is extremely extensive and interesting. It focuses on leadership, development, research, survey developing, and other work related concepts such as engagement, CWBs, and crucial organizational theories.
Busy work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2015
management was ok but could have been nicer
office setting was relaxed
able to multi task and so homework on down time
meet and greet fellow students
and set up for weekly meetings
Pros
on campus and some of the co workers were nice
Cons
not enough pay
Decline to review
Fieldwork Coordinator/ Academic Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 9, 2016
State University. Campus is easy to navigate. Public transportation is available. I have learned to navigate an electronic database.
Awesome
Faculty Led Program Intern (FLP) (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 3, 2016
I loved the professors and they were helpful to my success of applying to graduate schools. They were always supportive.
Great opportunity to enhance my communication skills
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 22, 2016
Duties include Classroom Support and Media & Equipment Checkout. Providing assistance over the phone. Writing i-Support.
Learning and fun environment
Teaching Associate, SJSU, CA (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 12, 2016
Very friendly atmosphere with nice equipment. Learned a lot about Xilinx FPGA boards. Enjoyed a lot in teaching a variety of students. Went back to basics to make them understand.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
High responsibility
Great school
Conference Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 14, 2016
Great school and great place to work. I think if you are open to the new experiences you will have an amazing time working and attending college here.
overall a great experience
Student Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 27, 2015
So far I've been working at SJSU for 3 years. My overall experience is great. The best part is having the best coworkers. However, some of the coworkers here are a trip. They can be so unprofessional and catty. But besides that the campus is amazing. One of the best places I have ever worked for.
Pros
cool coworkers
Cons
old and stubborn employees

4.2