San Jose Unified School District Employee Reviews

If you love kids, work in schools
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 5, 2017
Working in schools is a very rewarding institution, but it comes with a lot of issues too. Working in schools you don't get to take the time off you need or want; you adhere to someone else's directive on how to teach students, regardless of your experience; you don't have a lot of room for growth. Some days you get through with a smile from a student, other days you get more, but every day you have to put out fires.
Great People/Poor Management
Post Secondary SPED Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 26, 2017
I worked in the Special Education Department where the people were great to work with but the management from the principal on up were hard to work with to say the very least. I was a former principal at a very well funded and respected district not far from SJUSD and I could not believe how bad things were in terms of the management of this district.

They have an evaluation system that is for the birds. It does not allow for any personalization or understanding of the teacher being evaluated or for the principal doing the evaluation. SJUSD will claim that is what it's designed to do but it went far overboard with it. I was being evaluated by two people who had no idea how or what I taught and then demanded that I teach using a canned curriculum that had no application or use to my students. The principal wanted to observe me teaching in a classroom setting. I taught post-secondary students transitioning out of the public school system.

Our program used an outside bus transportation service. The drivers were super nice and professional. The problem was that they set the times of drop off and pick up. The staff and parents made numerous complaints but the management refused to support us and we had a very short instructional window of time. Our program was constantly moved and shifted in time due to this company but management refused to get involved.

These are just a few of the issues that made a wonderful program so difficult to teach. My fellow colleagues, save one that was placed at the program by HR without the proper credentials were a joy to work with
  more... and I still keep in touch with them to this day.  less
Pros
The teachers are highly professional
Cons
Poor management
It is challenging and enjoyable to work as a substitute teacher
Bilingual Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 14, 2017
I enjoy the fast paced and challenging work. It is enjoyable to work with the students, teachers and support staff. I have developed long lasting working relationships with many teachers and school administrators,
Pros
Varied work on a daily basis
Cons
This is a contract position
Good place to work but have to do for job and not money
SCHOOL SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 26, 2017
Ground level is wonderful to work for and great environment to impact the lives of our youth. Proper upper management is lacking. Have to work here for the love of students and teachers and not for the compensation. Other surrounding districts could work for that offer more to their employees.
Pros
Healthcare, reasonable hours
Cons
lack proper upper management/guidance
Need new management
Head Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 16, 2017
I've been with some of the unified for nine years at Broadway high school. Two years ago the ministration stuff changed for the worst. Within the years we had to downsize and your teachers have pink slips.
Sjusd
Bilingual Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2017
SJUSD is a huge district. It has close to 39,000 students. I have worked for this district for the last 10 years under the auspice of the Special Education department. I love working with the students and families.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
too much paperwork
Amazing
Special Education Aide (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 17, 2017
I had the privilage to work as a IA in special education. Let me tell you how amazing the children are. The children showed me how important it is to get up every morning thanking GOD for being fortunate. The children have special needs, they get up every moring without complaning. Yet, some of us are considered "Normal" yet we complain about the simple things in life. The children are amazing they taught me new ways to look at life. Just being grateful for the little things in life. It has been one of the best jobs I have had the privilage to work in.
Pros
The environment is welcoming
Cons
Food places are far from the school
It will depend on the school that you are working
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 10, 2017
It will depend on the school that you are working. Some principals are nice, others are not nice. The one that I worked with was not very nice at all. The students are average. I like the students because I like all the kids in general
Fast paced and must be able to multi-task
PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 3, 2017
The most difficult part of the job is the need work to in a fast-paced
environment to meet all State and Federal Special Education legal requirement deadlines while needing to respond to crisis situations at the school sites immediately. The most enjoyable part of the job is being in the position to create new, innovative programs to meet the changing needs of the student population.
Pros
Access to additional training in Special Education law, Involvement in creating new programs to meet the changing needs of the student population.
Cons
The work day ends when the IEP meeting ends, a crisis is resolved, a legal deadline met, be prepared to work late into the evening without advance notice.
Large district.
Certified Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 21, 2017
Large district with a variety of schools. As a substitute, some schools treat you better than others. The hardest part of the job is not being able to have a larger impact on the students lives.
Wish I could work here again!
Clerical/Office Aide (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 18, 2017
I learned a lot from this place since it was my first place to work. Management are great people and all are nice. Workplace culture is the best and the teams I worked for were amazing. If I could work here again doing what I do now, I would take it in a heartbeat.
Substitute in large public school district.
Administrative Asst. to Principal (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 10, 2017
This job as a substitute in food service, classroom teacher's aide and clerical positions was varied and always different. I got a first-hand view of teachers in all age groups and classifications.
Pros
Variety in responsibilities and roles.
Cons
No benefits as a part-time employee.
Solid Job for Grad School
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 14, 2017
Working as a substitute teacher for SJUSD was great experience in education and teaching. It was also a solid job to have while finishing up graduate school. The pay was solid but there is no benefits if you are not a full-time employee.
Instructor
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 2, 2017
It is a great job environment. I get to work with kids of various ages and teach them stuff that they don't know. Have not had any issues working here.
fun working with kids
Badminton Coach (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 31, 2017
i was just a coach for Pioneer high school for the San Jose Unified School District. I loved working with all my students especially the ones who shown an interest in badminton as a sport and wanted to get better no matter what level or skill they were at.
Pros
Fun working with kids
Cons
low pay
Interesting district with collegial culture
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 24, 2017
Pros: Great manager, collaborative SpEd team at my school, independence, creative satisfying work, excellent therapy resources and materials

Cons: Occasional meetings with legal advocates (similar to other districts)
San Jose Unified was very instrumental to my work experience.
Warehouse Foreman (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 8, 2017
My boss was a great mentor and teacher to me. He took me "under his wing" so to speak and taught me everything about my job. I highly respected him (he is now gone). He was fair, he cared about everyone succeeding and getting a solid start in life. Those are the things he gave me; a high standard of honesty, integrity, hard work, and a great heart.
Great teachers and support
Preschool Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 12, 2017
Youcome to work and ready to make a new impact on a child's life. Making sure you make progress with them as much as you can. Rain days are difficult but great overall.
Pros
Free Lunches
Productive and somewhat lax workplace
Campus Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 21, 2017
Day consisted of walking around campus securing school of safety risks and being a active role model to the children. Enjoyed working with the kids and helping better the community
Great
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Jose Unified School DistrictNovember 20, 2016
I really enjoy working at San Jose Unified School District. Every single person who's a part of San Jose Unified School District are incredible people to be around, from the top of the house to the bottom. I really like the environment. Everyone has a great attitude and are excited to show up and get their work done.