San Jose Unified School District Employee Reviews

Productive work environment
Classified LVN (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 17, 2016
Taking care of children with special medical needs.Giving diabetic insulin injections, tracheal suctioning, wound care, catherization for urinary challenged student.
The families and kids I met were the best part of the job.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 2, 2016
A typical day started at 8 a.m. and ended at 3:00 p.m..

I learned that some subjects didn't interest me as much as others, as I was expected to cover every subject.

Having one group for the entire day was different than my training for a single subject credential, designed to cover one subject for an hour before kids continue into another subject.

I was a fish out of water with my co-workers due to training and, frankly, due to being another culture. I was getting educated on social issues, matters beyond the structure of a standard lesson.

The hardest part was being on the outside of a group despite truly caring for them.
Pros
The best moments included connecting with kids, meeting families, and seeing growth in kids.
Cons
The least favorable moments were being on the outside of a strong, beautiful cultural group and not finding a way to connect with adults as much as I would have liked.
Excellent
Clerical Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 2, 2016
Excellent team work and support.
It is nice to work within the community I grew up in.
I experienced a lot of professional growth.
Pros
College/University and Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoy working for the SJUSD and have done counseling and college career development for nearly 8 years. I mostly work with Seniors determining which college they should attend after doing an assessment of their skills and where they might fit in well.
many opportunities for growth
Academic Counselor/Drop Out Prevention Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CaJanuary 12, 2016
Great place to work if the job you want is tk-12,
management varies at different sites
teachers are well educated
steff is fun to collaborate and work with
Loved learning all the different foods the children ate, Also was taught how to make it
SNS Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 9, 2015
I really loved working for the school district, they treated me like family, we trully were, just a bunch of wonderful ladies cooking, and preparing brunch,lunch for about 400 children everyday, it took all of us hours to prepare food , that would be gone in a 25 min lunch, just to see the smiles on the children's face when they knew lunch was here was priceless, Hands Down best job I've worked for so far.
Pros
Free lunches, Great People, Great Enviroment
Cons
Not Many Hrs in my Postion
Nicely arranged kitchen area with some lite music back ground to get our day through nicely at times.
Substitute Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 27, 2014
Cleaning cafeteria areas,preparing lunch meals. Learn to make certain types of sandwiches. Safety was always first in any job you perform inside kitchen & cafeteria areas. My manager was very busy but always found time to sit & talk with us during our break times. Co-workers, we were a team as far as getting our jobs done in a timely matter.
On occasion I had to do some stocking of can food boxes in the store room,which became heavy at times. Not so much of the job but having fun & a good sense of humor at times with the co-workers & manager.
Pros
Free lunches with some music back ground.
Cons
Working extra hours.
Lincoln high is a great place to work.
High School Secretary (Current Employee) –  Lincoln High School, San Jose, CAJuly 23, 2012
Provide administrative support to principal and teaching staff, maintain budget and run reports, liaison between community, district office and principal, order office supplies and equipment, daily tasks include ensuring coverage of classroom substitutes, monitor monthly timesheets, track department purchases, input facility work requests, distribute and track site keys, process purchase orders, approve invoices for payment, handle registration, travel and hotel arrangements for conferences
Productive and energetic work place with motivating co-workers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2012
San Jose Unified School District provided me with the first hand experiences of working with a diverse group of people. Being a part of an amazing team that works closely with the students, faculty, parents, and community was very rewarding. In addition, I learned the in's and out's of office management as well as superior customer service and communication skills. It felt great to make a difference by being part of an educational school system.
Great experience
Classroom teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 3, 2015
Grew a lot as a person, but I left because I wanted to explore other areas. I fell in love with the kids and learned much about myself but it was time for a change. I came out of college and went straight to teaching, wasn't sure I wanted to do that for the rest of my life.
SanJose Unified School District
College and Career Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 1, 2013
Challenging job and have to support 1000 students for Career and College questions. I have become an expert in all aspects of career development and applying for college in the CSU/UC and private college systems.
is a really friendly work place
Food Server (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 28, 2014
Serving the students food, cooking and checking temperatures washing and sanitizing the work area, stocking
Creative and Innovative environment where new ideas are encouraged
Child, Welfare, and Attendance Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 18, 2015
Working for San Jose Unified School District for the past 30 years has been extremely rewarding. I have been able to have the freedom to create new programs and move in new directions because of the trusting and supportive management team. I have been surrounded with incredibly talented and skilled colleagues and collaboration was always encouraged. I sometimes compared my experience in SJUSD as almost like a "Think Tank," where new ideas and innovations were always appreciated. This allowed me to develop programs and to share these programs throughout the District. I loved that although my days were scheduled, there was always the possibility of the "unexpected" happening, and it usually did because working with people is not always predictable. This allowed me to develop skills that included flexibility and creativity, and, a lot of thinking "on my feet.' I did not retire in June from SJUSD because I was "burned out," but, rather, I left still loving my job as much as always. I just felt that it was time to turn my focus to my other great passions, working with animals, and working with people who could share their expertise and years of animal experience with me.
Pros
Very creative colleagues, very supportive environment
Cons
There really were not too many "cons."

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Jose Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.7