San Juan Unified School District Employee Reviews in United States

Horiable Place to Work!
Campus Safety Monitor (Current Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJune 13, 2016
No admin support, On a rating level I would say a zero. Union is a joke. Admin is very unprofessional and uneducated with lack of experience in dealing with dangerous situations on campus.
Pros
ZERO
Cons
1000's DO NOT EXCEPT A POSITION AT SAN JUAN
Productive and good place to work
Bilingual Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CADecember 3, 2015
Administration, kid and colleagues are supportive, the most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside with teachers and colleagues,
Fun workplace
CASHIER DUTIES (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, Ca.April 22, 2015
I truly love working with children. So this job was for me. My first job with the district I was a rec aide, and due to the district cutbacks, rec aides were the first to go.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Not enough hours
I love SJ and recently applied to another district, for more money. But in the end, it did not work out. Get more $ per hour, but pay it all back.
IA III/ ED (Current Employee) –  Del CAmpo HSApril 5, 2015
IA III here. I have checked with several other districts. NO ONE offers classified/ part-timers the benefits that SJ does. Less pay per hour, yes. More benefits than you will get elsewhere? Oh baby! It DOES make a BIG difference! Love what you do, and get the most for it!
Pros
Good professional people, great kids. Hours are fine for PT. Benefits ROCK!
Cons
IAs could be more respected by top people. We ARE loved by those we serve (students and teachers).
supervisor
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAJanuary 27, 2015
Supervisor at the site i worked at was unwilling to accommodate for family needs even though it was in his power to do so,
Good place to work.
Instructional Assistant, MSH (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 6, 2014
San Juan District is very nice company to work for. The system is built on responsibility and good organization for both as for employers and students,what makes it easier to and enjoyable to make a good business.
Pros
perfect working time, the pay checks are always on time.
Cons
you get paid once in the month.
productive fun work place
Noon Aid (Current Employee) –  Carmichael, CADecember 4, 2014
supervising up to 160 students, utilized strong problem solving skills and dispute resolution. I learned how to build a relationship with students and teachers, my co-workers i work with 3 staff. The hardest part is when you have a student that is really out of control and does not listen. I the most enjoyable part of my job is the kids seeing grow and teaching the kids new things about the world and life.
Fun in the Sun with Children!
Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orangevale, Ca. 95662October 14, 2014
Myself and three other women were responsible for the safety and supervision of about 450 students, spread out over two lunch periods. I learned patience, listening skills, problem solving, and how to manage a large number of students.
The hardest part was conflict resolution between students at times. The most enjoyable part was being there for my children, building relationships with students, and staff.
Pros
smiling faces, big hugs, and gratitude.
Cons
my children grew up and moved on, as did i.
Meaningful and fun job
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 9, 2014
I loved this job, co-workers were fantastic, the children amazed me, we stayed up to par with bi-weekly meetings. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
friendly and safe environment
One of the older school districts in Sacramento area.
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Carmichael, CASeptember 3, 2014
In working for San Juan School district for the past 10 years, I had good times and not so good times. Each of the four school I worked for had different personalities, different principals with different leading styles. My favorite school to work for was Casa Roble High School in Orangevale, California. The teachers are friendly and easy to work with; they made you feel like you were a part of their team. Another school was not so nice. This made my job difficult. When teachers gossip about other teachers and treat each other as the enemy the work place can be treacherous and leave you stressed, Hence; looking for other work. My favorite part of the job was working with students and making a difference in their lives!
I wasn't being given the job that I wanted
Substitute Child Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAJuly 21, 2014
I wasn't being given the jobs that I thought I was hired to do.

I supervised children in the classroom and on the playground.
Substitute Teacher
Guest Teacher (Former Employee) –  SacramentoJune 2, 2014
I would go into a classroom and review the lesson plans the teacher has set for me to do that day. I would be in charge of the students and follow the school and classroom rules. I would follow through with each task the teacher has required me to do for the day. I learned that most schools are similar and the teachers require you to be flexible with their daily schedules. The management is fairly nice because I am at different schools throughout the year. My co-workers are helpful and make me feel welcomed. The hardest part of the job is classroom management in the upper grades because once they see a substitute they feel the need to challenge me. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to create a relationship and speak with the children during our free time during the day. It is very often that I have children come up to me and tell me that I am their favorite substitute teacher.
Pros
enjoying the children and being asked to come back to certain schools, i am able to travel and get to meet different people all of the time.
Cons
short breaks, children who are more difficult than others.
Fun Work Place With Students
Hall Monitor (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAApril 24, 2014
Amazing People To Work. The Students Are Amazing. Definetly A Job I Would Consider Doing Again
fine
Educator, Guest Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 4, 2014
Great place to work, enjoy El Camino High School. Very positive atmosphere. Great student body, excellent teachers.
Pros
supportive community
Cons
little opportunity for advancement, improvement
Cut throat employment system
Substitute Intermediate Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  On-call for the whole districtJanuary 28, 2014
San Juan Unified School District has a large rehire list that makes it next to impossible to get hired unless you were previously laid off in a previous year budget cut. I have been in a few positions that a Director wanted to hire me specifically but couldn't because the rehire list of employees has priority over "new hires".
A great place to work
Instructional Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Earl Legette ElementaryDecember 11, 2013
San Juan Unified School District has many interesting programs including adult education... They tried very hard to meet the needs of their students.. The programs in different areas were as diverse as the people who attended them.. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them.
A typical day at work included interaction with the students.. discussions with the classes.. There was always a positive attitude when teaching the kids and the needs were met accordingly.
I learned a lot about the individual needs of students... I worked with many students from mildly disabled to very severely disabled. Also with students from preschool aged to adult education.. I learned that people are amazing and resilient.
My co workers were very eager to teach.. friendly and professional.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children grow and change.. I loved watching a child who didn't understand something light up when it all made sense.. Nothing better in life.
Pros
a very large district with many programs.
Cons
often there should have been less students per classroom..
Learning to Teach
ECE CDA Substitute (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CANovember 2, 2013
I learned a lot working for the school district. How to use the skills I acquired at college, the importance of parent and teacher relationships, documenting everything and the inner workings that make the job worth it. What I learn there at the district, I will carry with me for the rest of my life.
Pros
great benefits, lots of room to move up
Cons
job security bassed on year state buget
Wonderful meaningful experiences
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 26, 2013
I thoroughly follow and implement teacher lesson plans and classroom management to the best of my abilities.
School Bus Driver
Special Needs Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAJune 19, 2013
My day: Arrive: 6am. Pre-trip bus. Get assistance if necessary at the yard. Any time brake down mechanics were right on time! Excellent dispatch! Arrival time/scheduling was good. Union. God bless.
Pros
lived close.
Cons
hot at times.
I learned a lot and loved working with the kids.
Substitute School Secretary (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CAApril 11, 2013
While working at the school district, I performed general office duties, data entry, answered phones, maintained the filing system and did a lot of computer work.

4.2