San Leandro Unified School District Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
One of the worst teaching jobs
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMay 24, 2017
Bottom dwelling high school that no matter the reforms, principals, teachers, it never gets any better. Students are ill served by a horrible principal and vice principal, and the school district board is awful. Live somewhere else if you can.
Pros
Short work day
Cons
Mike Hassett - worst vice principal ever
A great school staff
Middle School Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMarch 21, 2016
Teachers here are respected and able to focus on teaching while the administration does their job.

The students are very diverse, some give you trouble but most responds well to good classroom management
Unsupportive work environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  San LeandroAugust 28, 2015
I will certainly agree that the indecisive nature of school funding makes managing and taking on the debt of a home loan certainly worrisome.

I left the school district chiefly as they do nothing to assist new to the district teachers actually being a part of the San Leandro community. The new high school administration seems to care little for new teachers who come aboard and in fact, makes them feel even unwelcome.

During my first year there, I had great reviews but then the new A.P. from another district came aboard and suddenly I had multiple observations. I never experienced this in any previous district that I worked for. All this during a time in which I was making offers on one of three homes. She simply didn’t care that I was attempting to settle in the community and more interested in making a statement as a new administrator. In the end, I did get a positive review but the situation took all the joy out of my job.

As a result, I just stopped looking to try and settle myself and family in San Leandro. Instead, I focused on getting another job in another area. Since I'm a STEM teacher, I found another job quite easily.I can truly say that I left San Leandro because of the way that I was treated.
Pros
They do have some really great teachers there.
Cons
Not a positive work environment
Great Diversity
Highly qualified physical education teacher (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CaDecember 6, 2013
Despite the frustrations associated with lack of funding and deplorable facilities, SLUSD provides a fantastic environment to develop cultural awareness and embrace diversity.
Pros
Diverse
Cons
Lack of funding
It was a learning experience
High School Metal Shop Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CaliforniaApril 9, 2012
Teaching was something every one should try at least once. This should be a prerequisite for any one aspiring to manage a department or company.
Also, the state budget deadline and school budgets are too skewed to keep employee morale at any appreciable level.
I just tired of the politics and want to go back into private industry.
Pros
summers off
Cons
state budget