San Marcos Treatment Center Employee Reviews in United States

Treatment is safe and effective but necessitates teamwork along every branch.
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 2, 2015
MHA's typical day consists of a non stimulating shift change with reports on patients in equal ration of 1:3 (MHA to Patient) in 15 to 30 minute intervals throughout the shift as they observe the patients behavior and log the progress daily. May include restraining with non violent holds taught by the treatment center called "CPI" holds and active listening. Enjoyable field of work as MHA's establish rapport with nurses and patients alike to help cope with their disorders so they may better function in society when discharged.
Fast paced and demanding schedule.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TxMarch 18, 2015
SMTC does not utilize the team approach, therefore, therapists move from residential dorm to dorm. They are expected to attend all of their dorms clinical meetings. The therapists are also expected to provide case management and have numerous weekly reviews with insurance agencies. With all of the moving between dorms and all of the communication with insurance entities, therapy is not delivered in the most efficient manner. Therapist turnover is extremely high.
Pros
can purchase meals in he cafeteria for a reasonable price. can flex hours.
Cons
no chain of command. the ceo tends to micro-manage. too many dorms and psychiatrists to report to
It's not what is sounds like
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 4, 2015
A typical day as a mental health associate at SMTC is just filling out meticulous paper work and time sheets and ordering patients to do things. There are three 8 hr shifts and in a whole 8 hours, you do not get one single break (unless you are working nights, there is a lot of down-time). I saw my supervisor (unit manager) once during the three weeks I was there. They were not involved at all. Some unit managers were really involved, however, mine was not, and that's quite unfortunate for the staff and the patients. You will learn a lot about the behaviors of psychiatric patients at SMTC, but if you want to be actively involved in their recovery- this is not the job. It's a babysitting job. It was very personally rewarding at times to connect with the patients, but the high stress without any breaks and the low pay was too much to stay.
Pros
free meals, helped others positively
Cons
NO breaks, high stress, low pay
Poor Quality of Service
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 2, 2014
My primary issue with SMTC is the poor quality of care it provides the residents. Although the residents are difficult, the training staff receive is not adequate enough to properly work with the children. There is very poor communication throughout the facility and although they state they will work with your schedule it changes throughout.

I worked at SMTC a few years previously and I will say the way it was run has gotten better, however the facility is not safe and everyday I worked I felt as though something may happen that would jeopardize my career.
Pros
if you can get along with the "cool" staff there is lots of camarederie.
Cons
quality of care and measurement
Exciting, hard work, had great and dedicated staff. Culturally diverse.
Center Supervisor/ Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXApril 18, 2012
This was probably the single most educational job I had. It built the foundation for every job I had. There was not a behavioral health issue I did not see or had to address. As a workplace environment your teams would evenly divide work, we knew when someone was having a hard day and would keep that in mind when scheduling the shifts responsibilities. We celebrated events and I think it was the most intimate environment in terms of knowing who worked with. The hardest part was working with a youth that had to be physically held and maintaining an emotional cushion to not be affected at the time of the hold or other special treatment intervention. I still think of those youth, their experiences and trauma that brought them to the facility.
Pros
active, staff, the environment, the kids we worked with.
Cons
advancement ability, the schedule.
na
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJanuary 8, 2015
An ok place to work however management is not what it seems to be. stressful at times but you get to make a difference in others lives.
stressful environment
Mental Health Associate (shift charge) (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 22, 2012
learned how to thoroughly write and communicate effectively.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch. lots of overtime.
Cons
no breaks, stressful environment and not enough pay.
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Management is distant, disregards needs of employees and/or does not care.
Good people to work with
Support (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXMay 29, 2013
Lots of holiday themed parties for the residents
Employees genuinely care about residents
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Marcos Treatment Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6