SAS Institute Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with a ping-pong table
Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCNovember 3, 2017
SAS has fabulous benefits, but is slowly being pushed out of the market by open software. It is a large company and takes a long time to introduce change. It's job like any other - stressful, etc.
Benefits
Cons
Low turn over
Great products and support
Sr. Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2017
Great culture. Great technology. Great benefits and support. Stable reliable products and stable work environment. Ethical and honest management team and respect for people.
Pros
Great management Great products
Cons
Less than market pay
Enjoyed
Associate Food Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCSeptember 11, 2017
I enjoyed my time there. Great place to work. However I left because I wanted to pursue other options. They had plenty of benefits and the people who work there are really friendly.
cutting edge technology everywhere
Principal Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Home office basedAugust 24, 2017
Many great opportunities to learn the latest, greatest technologies. Many very motivated and smart people around you. Great benefits. Endless opportunities to learn.
Excellent company
Sr. Manager, Proposal Center (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCAugust 18, 2017
SAS has been recognized as a great place to work by Fortune Magazine for the last 20 years and deservedly so. Stable management and supportive, consistent workforce.
Pros
Employee centered culture
Great Benefits
Senior IT Project Manager - IT PMO (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCAugust 18, 2017
The company has outstanding benefits, but the culture is definitely not for everyone. It is like working for a non-profit and very political. Because of low turnover, there is also limited opportunity for advancement. s
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Limited room for advancement
Great company, but difficult to advance
Principal Industry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2017
SAS is an excellent company to work for and it has been at the top of the great places to work for years for a reason. The culture is great, the balance is great and the bulk of the people you work with are incredibly nice.

SAS however does have one major drawback. Because it is considered an excellent place to work not a lot of people leave or cycle out of the company. This makes the advancement path difficult and slow going.
Pros
Benefits, Work Life balance
Cons
Difficult to Advance
Progressive and Innovative Company with a Great Respect for a Holistic Lifestyle
User Experience Intern (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 24, 2017
SAS is an amazing company to work for at any level of experience. They treat their employees with respect and promote healthy lifestyles as well as place great emphasis on having a feasible work?life balance. The headquarters in Cary, NC has a massive campus with on-site healthcare, child-care, summer camps, salons and high-end cafeterias. The food is amazing and extremely inexpensive because it is highly subsidized. Managers are always looking out for you and trying to help you pursue more responsibility within your career. They will also help you branch out to other areas of the company if you want to expand your skill-set or learn new things. It is overall a very unique and diverse environment.
Wouldnt reccomend
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2017
Very much highly rated if you do not work in North Carolina. pay is subpar and this priviate company is dictated by the CEO. As I was once told, its his toy he can do whatever he wants with it.
Great company
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 3, 2017
SAS is a great company to work for. I enjoyed working for SAS my entire 16 year career. They had free snacks and drinks in all break rooms. Although I am retired from there I'm still allowed to be involved in working out at the gym facilities, swimming in the pool each week. I also am able to attend their annual family day activities.
Pros
Great facilities free snacks and drinks
Cons
Better retirement plan
Great place to work with excellent work/life balance
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 29, 2017
I've worked for SAS for several years and love the flexibility and the work/life balance that I have. You will find people walking around campus, going to the gym, walking to lunch, making the most of the benefits that we have.
Pros
onsite healthcare, flexible schedule
Cons
salary
Enjoyed cafeteria associate working
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 29, 2017
I usually started my day by setting out the prepackaged
servings of food. I set up the displays for each day. During
the day I provided settings for scheduled meeting in
cafeteria brunches. I enjoyed team work I experienced with the
staff. the hardest part was keeping up with demands on busy
days. Management was very supportive
Pros
Having access to free lunch if wanted
Cons
distance from home
A good place to work
Lead tester on Enterprise Case Management (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 23, 2017
If you are looking for stability, not advancement, then this is a good place to work. It is not contrary to popular belief all sunshine and roses. It is a job, where work is expected and needs to be done.
Awesome work place and employment
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 1, 2017
Very happy setting the hours was somewhat should have been more options but other than that nice employment with great benefits and fun health activities.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Hours
SAS Culture
Senior Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Middleton, MAMay 1, 2017
SAS is a great company to work for the only reason I am not there anymore is because our branch was closed and their headquarters is in North Carolina. It always felt like a family company even though it is a large worldwide privately owned company. The co-workers were all very friendly and easy to work with. My manager was very supportive roll even though she was not onsite she was always available and willing to talk and help. I loved my job.
Pros
Breakrooms always stocked, great people to work with, yearly employee events. Good pay and benefits.
Cons
They closed.
Work Life Balance
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 25, 2017
SAS is a great company to work for and has many perks, such as onsite daycare, gym, etc.

Culture is pleasant. Management is supportive. Upward mobility is very difficult.

The hardest part of the job is working through the systems and red tape to stay innovative and move the needle.
Pros
Food, Work / Life balance
Cons
Upward Mobility, Everyone is related to everyone
As an employee you want to give 110 % as they give that to you!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 25, 2017
As an employee of Sas I believe it is an amazing company. They incorporate life job work life balance for all employed by them. However, they have started hiring through contract companies and in some areas the contractors are treated very poorly. No job security,little or no notice prior to job loss. No benefits or access to any part of the sas family.
Pros
as an employee many on site benefits, i.e. pharmacy, doctor, fitness classes, easy pay at cafes. Owners truly care about employees. Benefits exceed many other businesses
Cons
As a contractor you are not treated well in certain departments
Good but not great, declining
Sr. Technical Architect (Current Employee) –  ChicagoMarch 9, 2017
The company is good to work for but is declining overall. Raises are low and management is not the best. Company culture is great but most perks are missed when living outside of North Carolina.
Overall pretty good company, but sales organization is poor
Enterprise Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2017
Overall pretty good company, but sales organization is poor. Sales management is and overall company goals are not aligned.
OK company
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCNovember 14, 2016
If you are in to Finance/IT and stability, this is the place for you as a very stable company. Stability is the downside as this proves to create a not very fast paced work environment and little sense of being fast paced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAS Institute. Our community is ready to answer.