Under supervision, perform mandatory processes, operationally check and clean reusable equipment. Retrieve used trays, instruments, and equipment from various hospital and clinic locations, returning items for processing. Disassemble and decontaminate instruments and equipment in preparation for further processing. Operate and maintain washer/decontaminators, heat sealers, case carts and other processing equipment and machinery.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Transports and decontaminates reusable equipment and instruments used for patient care. Accurately assembles basic instrument sets and procedure trays. Operates and maintains washer/decontaminator, steam spray gun, ultrasonic machine, heat sealers, and any additional required equipment and machinery. Differentiate between steam and sterrad supplies. Package supplies according to specifications and appropriate method of sterilization. Practice preventative maintenance on all instruments and patient care equipment. This includes understanding the principles of electrical and mechanical safety and working with the bio-medical engineer to ensure safe and properly function equipment. Perform under supervision quality control standards required by The Joint Commission, AORN, and AAMI on all sterilizers, including biological, chemical, and mechanical monitoring.
Dispense sterile supplies to the appropriate locations in Sterile Storage, OR, ER, LR, etc. Rotate trays and sets to assure proper sterility guidelines are followed. Maintain an accurate instrument count sheet of all surgical sets to be assembled. Inform supervisor of any discrepancies.
- Ability to assess, identify, and respond to urgent/emergent requests for instruments, supplies, and equipment in an efficient, effective, and appropriate manner.
- Knowledgeable of and in compliance with all applicable infection control, health and safety policies and procedures as implemented by the department and/or work unit and the Medical Center.
- Ability to operate fairly complex machinery including washers/decontaminators, ultrasonic washers, surgical power equipment, etc.
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of the principles of aseptic technique and to apply these principles when carrying out the various assignments in Sterile Processing Services.
- Ability to meet and maintain required productivity (see productivity chart).
High School graduation or equivalent; Ability to read, write, communicate, and follow verbal and written instructions in the English language.
Current Sterile Processing certification.
Three (3) years of sterile processing experience.
Ability to safely and properly move heavy trays and equipment, lifting up to 50 pounds, and stand for an eight hour shift, if necessary.
Good communication skills; friendly, courteous, and an ability to work in a cooperative team manner.
Knowledge and experience of/ with Instrument Tracking System(s).