The Preschool teacher is responsible for collaborating with the Team Leader to develop age appropriate curriculums for the students of SMILE. The teacher reports directly to the Team Leader and works in tandem with him/her to ensure that our students’ educational and emotional needs are met.
1. Collaborate with Team Leader to create a weekly curriculum that supports the development of students’ cognitive, sensory, language and gross motor skills.
2. Implement classroom curriculum and ensure SMILE’s daily schedule is followed.
3. Conduct and record observations of students to ensure they reach their milestones in a timely manner.
4. Host regular parent-teacher conferences and maintain constant communication with parents.
5. Monitor the classroom to ensure students’ safety (i.e. check electric outlets, keep room up to safety codes, etc.).
6. Attend mandatory monthly team and staff meeting.
7. Maintain and report needed classroom materials.
8. Complete required developmental assessments on children (e.g. progress reports and anecdotal notes).
9. Must complete 20 hours of professional development courses as required by the EEC.
10. Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Must have taken the following 4 ECE courses: Child Growth & Development, Observing & Recording, Guidance & Discipline & early Childhood Curriculum.
- Demonstrate a commitment to early education and professional growth.
- Possesses strong organizational skills.
- Maintains a professional demeanor at all times.
- Works well with fellow teaching staff and SMILE families.
- Must be willing to wear a staff uniform
- Ideal candidate will have completed, or is working towards, an Associates’ or Bachelors’ degree in Education
ABOUT SMILE PRESCHOOL, INC.
SMILE strives to provide the children of Roxbury with a healthy, safe and nurturing environment to learn. Executive Director Mariam Mahmoud founded SMILE Preschool, Inc. in 1981 to provide the children of Roxbury with a quality early education center. This private, nonprofit organization has stayed true to its purpose and has been delivering quality early education to infants, toddlers and preschoolers in the Roxbury and greater Boston area for decades.