Title: Kitchen Supervisor
Supervisor: Store Manager
Sol Food Restaurants is currently seeking an experienced Kitchen Supervisor.
Sol Food is an authentic Puerto Rican eatery located in downtown San Rafael and in Mill Valley. We began in 2003 with six employees and has now grown to four locations with over 200 dedicated employees. We are committed to producing satisfied customers who will happily recommend Sol Food to their family and friends. Our commitment to excellence is based upon providing personal attention to our customers’ needs. In short, we are committed to being the best.
Responsible for the overall success of kitchen operations. They support the kitchen team and and continuously develop and train team members. They expedite all orders during service to coordinate kitchen tasks and ensure a quality experience for customers. Kitchen Supervisor will also provide exemplary customer service, communicate professionally and maintain an organized, sanitary and safe work environment. The Kitchen Supervisor supervises Line Cooks, Prep Cooks, Platers, Dishwasher, Drink Expediter and Receiver.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or for other reasons.
1. Employee Relations:
a. With the guidance from the Store Manager you will actively participate in employee development and completing appropriate HR paperwork.
i. Provide counseling, coaching and discipline of kitchen staff.
ii. Participate in recruiting and hiring kitchen team members.
iii. Recognize good performance and teamwork.
iv. Continuously develop staff for advancement.
v. Train kitchen staff in all facets of kitchen duties.
2. Menu knowledge
3. Tasting and source.
4. Stocking and cleaning
5. Opening and closing procedures.
b. Conduct daily breakout meeting and trainings with Kitchen Staff.
c. Maintain Sol Food’s standards of compliance with all company policies, as well as local and federal laws
a. Maintain high food quality and 100% customer satisfaction.
b. Organize shift to ensure:
i. Good time and attendance from all employees
ii. Rest breaks and meal breaks policies are being followed and be a back up for employees on break.
iii. Absent employees’ shifts are being covered.
c. Prepare daily production list and delegate duties to employees. Check in with all Kitchen Staff employees to assure they have what they need in order to do their jobs well.
d. Delegate stocking of all condiments (piques, salad dressing, etc.).
e. Expedite food orders to ensure accurate, timely and quality service.
f. Make daily specials at Commissary kitchen.
g. Taste all large-batch food items to ensure consistent and well seasoned flavor and quality.
h. Supervise all food production of catering orders.
i. Maintain company standards on equipment, facility, and grounds preventative maintenance programs.
j. Ensure power is turned off for all relevant kitchen equipment.
k. Complete and post FOH staff’s weekly schedule in a timely manner.
l. Ensure that cash register are staffed.
3. Safety and Sanitation:
a. Test levels of detergent and sanitizer then log all results into the logbook.
b. Manage proper storage of raw and prepared product into walk-in refrigerator.
c. Delegate cleaning duties to appropriate staff. Oversee kitchen cleanliness and sanitation.
d. Use opening and closing kitchen cleaning checklists to ensure the kitchen is properly sanitized and all equipment is working properly.
e. Supervise and inspect dish station to ensure thorough cleanliness and sanitation.
f. Check food temperatura food holding equipment during cooking, while in steam tables and before being stored in the fridge. Maintain time and temperature logs.
g. Maintain a clean and organized walk in refrigerators and storage area.
h. Report all accidents, injuries, safety or sanitation concerns to Store Manager immediately.
4. Communication and Record Keeping:
a. Communicate to the incoming kitchen supervisor any notable issues, before checking out for shift. Discuss prep and inventory list with the incoming kitchen supervisor. Begin shift by checking in to ensure that the kitchen is stocked and prepared for business.
b. Check in with kitchen managers at other location(s) to ensure prep lists are consistent with all locations’ needs.
c. Delegate catering orders that are too large to 732 for 901 to fill.
d. Take a daily inventory, including proteins and communicate needs receiver so that a centralized order is placed.
e. Coordinate ordering of all food ítems and communicate orders regularly with Store Manager.
f. Record kitchen mistakes in a log book and present to store supervisor at the end of every shift.
5. Training and Development.
a. Provide orientation of company policies for new hires
b. Follow company’s hiring and termination protocol
c. Administer disciplinary action and any follow up that is required.
d. Provide annual reviews in a timely
e. Develop employees to be shift Leaders.
Must have and be able to do all of the following:
- Fluent English and Spanish is a must.
- Minimum of three years of food service supervisory experience.
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to build relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors, and associates.
- Proven track record in maintaining cost controls and quality standards.
- Experience in hiring, team leadership, training and development, discipline and terminations.
- Experience in hiring process a plus.
- A positive work ethic; this is very manual labor
- A sense of urgency and willingness to hustle
- Have an understanding and passion of the Sol Food culture and processes
- Ability to create an excellent team experience
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Take direction well; understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Can creatively solve problems and effectively implement solutions.
- Good time management skills; ability to manage and complete priorities and workflow, multi-task and be detail-oriented
- Ability to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Acceptable appearance and demeanor
- Any combination of education, training, or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- General understanding of safety, cleaning products, methods and chemicals.
- Able to work with chemicals and cleaners, such as oven cleaner and general cleaning solutions, which help sanitize a kitchen area.
- Must be able to learn and follow work guidelines based on Health Department, OSHA and ADA regulations.
Pay range is based on experience, demonstrated skills, and proficiency of the duties and responsibilities listed above.
Working Environment/Minimum Physical Requirement:
You must have the physical, visual and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations. This position requires standing up to 8 hours per shift and bending, twisting, leaning, lifting and kneeling on a regular basis during a shift. Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds in order to perform the essential functions. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and stressful situations and must be able to work in an environment where climate constantly changes.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary expectations to: jobs@ solfoodrestaurant.com and please include "Kitchen Supervisor" in the subject line of your email.