1. Submit via Indeed.com your current resume and cover letter, speaking directly to the needs of this organization and specified position, as one PDF document named ProdManager2013YourFirstLastNames.pdf.
2. Qualified candidates submitting complete and correct information will be contacted with more details. Applicants sending generic or otherwise incomplete materials will not be considered for employment.
3. Applications will be accepted through 2/5/2013 at 5pm. Phone screens will take place 2/6 for qualified applicants. Position to be filled late February/early March 2013.
4. Do not call, email, or fax.
JOB TITLE: Production Manager
STATUS: Salary, Exempt
COMPENSATION: Annual salary DOE; after 90 days, includes health benefits, sick, and vacation time.
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Medical cannabis production; develop and implement a crop production plan for indoor, outdoor, and greenhouse facilities including nutrient, irrigation, pest control, environmental control, immature plant propagation, harvest, cure and finishing processes as well as other crop-specific practices while maintaining a healthy, motivated, and safe work environment. Works directly with Leadership Team.
Understand and embrace the mission of medical cannabis and the role of medical cannabis dispensing and production in the community.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Sales & Supply Director.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Manages a team of 5-20 employees including gardening staff and third party support personnel. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizations policies and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Assist supervising all staff in day-to-day operations and security.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work may require prolonged sitting, standing, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate farm equipment, a computer, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing. Requires close vision with the ability to see color and adjust focus. Requires lifting up to 50 pounds regularly and push/pull up to 100 pounds.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a busy medical cannabis facility. The indoor and greenhouse facility areas are very loud due to fans and filtration systems, fluctuating between extreme cold and hot temperatures. Must work with and around fertilizers and pesticides. Involves frequent contact with staff and the public. Work may be stressful at times and may include dealing with difficult people, regulators, and/or law enforcement. Available to work varied hours/days, including nights, weekends, holidays, and/or events with 24/7 situations arising.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES: (this list may not include all of the duties assigned)
1. Develop, implement, and train team members techniques and practices in areas of propagation, transplanting, pruning, staking, irrigation, fertilization, composting, soil management, pest management, disease detection and management, inventory controls, and infrastructure maintenance in greenhouse, indoor and outdoor farming environments.
2. Maintain facility staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting and training employees.
3. Maintain staffing schedules appropriate to operational needs, communicates staffing assignments and changes in operational plans as needed.
4. Accomplish staffing results while communicating expectations, planning, monitoring, and appraising results with positive feedback toward improving future performance, coaching and counseling or disciplining staff as needed.
5. Work with Leadership Team to establish production plan determining type, quantity, and quality of plants as well as forecasting harvest yield, quality and budgeting.
6. Continually recommend, budget and implement farm management improvements that maximize efficiency and output while minimizing expenses and loss.
7. Inspect crops and growing conditions; monitor quality; take action as necessary.
8. Handle production plan including an Integrated Pest Management plan (IPM) and acquisition of seed/clone genetics, nutrients, soil amendments, and pest-control products.
9. Ensure safe and satisfactory operation of equipment, irrigation/fertilization systems, greenhouse controls, security system, etc., by adhering to preventive maintenance schedules following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshoot malfunctions; affect repairs; maintain equipment inventories; evaluate new equipment and techniques.
10. Oversee harvest and finishing processes and assure that production event timelines appropriately follow established schedules and/or production plans and schedules are regularly updated in response to new information as it becomes available.
11. Develop and maintain inventory forecast and control practices and facilitate inventory audits/reconciliation for all inventory and materials including supplies, plants, processed product, equipment, etc.
12. Work with Sales & Supply Director to prepare reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information, comparing farm management practices/process and resources/costs with resulting quality, crop performance, yields, productivity.
13. Maintain safe and healthy work environment while following OSHA regulations, organization standards, and legal regulations.
14. Attend weekly production meetings and other meetings and/or seminars as needed to maintain current, efficient, effective and environmentally sound agricultural practices.
15. Ensure maintenance of facilities, communicating needs for supplies and equipment and ensuring ongoing cleanliness and functionality.
16. Perform other related work as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Significant farm, nursery, and horticulture hands on experience.
2. Experience managing a team of 10 or more people.
3. Knowledge of sustainable agriculture.
4. Ability to motivate and influence others through personal actions and examples.
5. Strong problem solving, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
6. Ability to perceive and meet the needs of the team with moderate direction.
7. Ability to maintain high standards in a fast paced, constantly evolving environment.
8. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in all situations with staff, management, and community members.
9. Ability to adapt to a changing industry and an expanding organization.
10. Good understanding of Federal, State, and Local employment laws including OSHA compliance.
11. Solid knowledge of cannabis strains and genetics, growing practices and effects of cannabis medicines.
12. High level of patience and flexibility.
13. Ability to drive and transport supplies and inventory as needed.
14. Maintain a current medical cannabis physician recommendation and CA Medical Cannabis Identification Card issued by the DHS at all times.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum one year of hands-on experience in indoor cultivation in a leadership/decision-making capacity. Possess intermediate computer skills (spreadsheets, word processing, email, reporting tools, etc). Bilingual in English/Spanish is a plus but not a requirement. Experience in medical cannabis industry desirable, but not required. Must be 18 years old and pass criminal background check and LiveScan fingerprint scan via local Police Department.
CERTIFICATES/LICENSES: Related certifications, licenses and knowledge encouraged.