Sacramento Job Corps Employee Reviews in United States

Gave me an opportunity to start my career
Clinical Medical Assistant Student (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 6, 2016
My experience at Job Corps was excellent i gained a lot more confident's in myself that made me feel i can achieve anything in the career i pursue. I gain great costumer service and many more.
Contract ended and new management took over and a transition took place company wide.
Deputy Center Director Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 19, 2015
In dealing with the schooling and training of students there was never a typical day. Management taught me a lot about companies minus and plus when a new management team takes over and there is a huge transition center wide.
Pros
Training young minds is a plus
Cons
Many employees lost their jobs during the transitions
Typical Workday
Clinical Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 30, 2015
A typical day at work was coming in, turning off the alarm & turning on the computers. Then I would log on to the computer and start working on the files from yesterday. I learned about the different types of mental health and what can we do to help people from thinking suicide thoughts. My manger and co-workers were awesome and helpful, the hardest part of the job was trying to keep people on the phone and make them realize that life is precious.
Pros
Lunch-ins, Going outta town
Exciting and professional
Security Cadet (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 18, 2016
Sacramento job corps is a educational training school which as a variety of trades such as CMA, CNA ,MAA, security and much more.
Pros
four meals a day, recreation sports.
Cons
behavior in the work force
Terrible Place To Work
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CAOctober 9, 2015
No advancement. No training. Very high turnover rate. Ran by a private accounting firm out of Houston TX that is contracted through the DOL. They are suppose to be there for the student but it is still about the profit. Underbid the contract and now they are cutting salaries, programs, jobs, etc
The position holds a lot of responsibility
Vocational instructor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CA.April 8, 2014
I am an instructor for the landscape trade at the Sacramento Job Corps. The population of students I teach are those who have yet to experience the working culture. They are taught employability skills along with the necessary trade competencies to enter the workplace. They are instructed by classroom lecture, hands-on experience, volunteering, and community outreach.
I find it valuable to give back to my community by teaching youth what my trade has given me. It is quite rewarding to watch a student evolve from their challenges and become employable and ultimately join the workforce.
At Job Corps there are an amazing group of people that team up to direct student on a successful path. I have enjoyed the experience.
Pros
emotionally rewarding.
Cons
low salary
Great Program
Programs Manager (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 20, 2016
Great Program for students looking for trade certification and high school completion. It is wonderful to see the students succeed.
Good Program to take the first step towards your carer
HBI Carpenter Pre-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 7, 2015
it helped me get my foot in the door in terms of starting a career, good program with staff dedicated to helping you pursue a career
lots of work in the kitchen, not enough staff
Production Cook (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 21, 2015
okay job to have, just to have a decent job.
New contractor took over center a year ago. some changes benefitted the students more than the staff.
high turnover of staff, lots of long time staff have mysteriously been fired or left on their own.
good job to have if you enjoy working with youth ages 16-24
Pros
great staff in the kitchen eases my gripes i have with the company
Cons
not enough money and sketchy company politics and practices
Very Great environment and Great staff.
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 4, 2015
the time I have spent here has been so great for me and I have loved all that I have learned form the students and the staff. I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity to have been chosen to be in a program like theirs.
N/a
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sacramento job CorpsNovember 12, 2015
I lm working in Dental office as Dental Assistant position. I have some very nice co workers working together. I m also very take care all patients because that is my mission of work.
My Department
Food Service Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 10, 2015
Awesome kitchen staff most are very hard working and willing to learn, The management team in the kitchen you couldn't ask for anything better then them very reliable if your willing to learn they there to show you how to succeed.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
little money
Great experience and gained a lot of knowledge of the trade
Cement Mason Pre Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 31, 2015
I prepared myself for work as a Cement Mason by setting forms, tying rebar, and finishing concrete. The part that was hardest part to get used to was working a full work day in harsh weather conditions, But the best part is the self gratitude of seeing the finished product.
Good place to gain work experience in chosen field
Landscaper/Student (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 23, 2015
I were told to be out of the dorms by 7:15AM dressed and ready for work. They provided meals and shelter. One week, we would be in trade, the next, high school. The instuctors in High School were understanding, no matter what education level you were at, and the trade instuctor was even better, always trying to be up to date in the field.
The hardest part of the job was my coworkers attitudes. I will say that in my class, there was only 3 or 4 people (myself included) who actually acted professional and actually worked. While I was trying to work, my fellow co-workers just blared music from mini speakers and played around.
Job Corps is a place that can be very helpful if you don't get caught up in the drama and focus on finding a job.
Pros
3 meals a day, shelter, bed, clothing, bi-weekly personal allowance
Cons
allowance was too small, higher number of bad co-workers vs. good ones
Student
student (Former Employee) –  sacramentoJuly 9, 2015
I was very impressed with the teachers they allowed me to learn my personal strengths and how to interact with others. I learned a lot to become a CNA. The hardest part of the training was the testing.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no breaks
Nice place to work and learn about Office
Office Clerk (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 23, 2015
I learnd about typing, n how to greet customer.kind co-wrokers..the hardest part off the job was organizing the office and making schedule
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long break
Can be a good experience
Operator Engineer trainee (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 24, 2014
So we would start off our day running a lap about 3.5 miles to stay conditioned because you have to be conditioned as a grade setter or labor, because as an apprentice you're going to have seat time and labor time. Once we returned we would be dispatched to our assignment whether it be grade setting or operating equipment. As you become more knowledgable on equipment you will be tested on test that the union has at there training facility to better prepare you for thier test. Management was great really went into detail of expectations and how to properly operate/ grade set. Coworkers were like family after getting to know eachother and really helpful in getting to our goals. The hardest part of the job was remembering to dismont my equipment before getting twice i was punished for leaving the blade up, once on the Dozer and once on the roller. The most enjoyable part was learning how to become an operator.
Pros
free lunches, free education, experienced instructors, a variety of equipment
Cons
not as much attention to one person as one would like
Great Instructors
Medical Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Enrolling here in Sacramento Job Corps is one of the best thing that I ever done. It was a great experience, and a great way to start my life.
Pros
Earned knowledge, Professionalism, Etiquette, Certificates, Time Management, and Integrity.
Cons
Too early, Lunch line, first 5 weeks.
Stock Clerk
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 3, 2015
At first I just need a job at the time. I was 19 and my parents were having a hard time with me and the situation I'm in so I had to find a way to make it there and thats when I got the opportunity at Dollar Tree. Being a stock Clerk was better then nothing cause let face it nothing will get you no where. So I was thankful that Paul (The Manager) opens its doors for me allowing me work their.
Pros
stock clerk
Cons
janitor
Very Active and Super competitive work place where lives are made
Pre-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 5, 2014
My experience at Sacramento Job corps was EPIC! It is a once in a lifetime experience to be able to go in to job training and if you need to get your high school diploma or G.E.D you can DO THAT! All within a YEAR. I met all kinds of people from funny to straight up hardcore and serious. The hardest part of the job was trying to avoid the fun and get to work. The most enjoyable part of Sacramento Job Corps was the connections i made and the true meaning of team work!
Pros
get paid an allowance 2 times a month, free breakfast, lunch, and dinner! free trips and outtings of your choosing.
Cons
very strict, and if your a resident you have a lot of rules to follow.