Safari Childcare Employee Reviews

You get to work with kids all day!
Teacher Assistant/Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILAugust 2, 2017
I enjoyed working with those kids every day all day. It was a fun job. Must be able to work hard and love kids. Being able to change diapers every two hours is a must.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
No vision no 401k plan no vacation for newer employees
Fun And Professional
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILJune 8, 2017
Classroom management including: Admin/receptionist, curriculum, room maintenance, parent relations, checking children in and out daily, answering phone calls from parents, providing meals and snacks, cleanliness of children and classroom, and potty training. Making sure that the parents have a safe and proper environment for their children.
hard work
Childcare Center Director (Current Employee) –  ILApril 2, 2017
The days are long but rewarding. The director is expected to accomplish a lot during the day and fill in where ever needed. The children are great and loving they are always the highlight of the day.
Poor management
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILJanuary 21, 2017
The location itself was great. the management..not so much. Disrespectful.unprofessional.rude. Employees constantly unhappy because of dm's and how they were treated. it's not okay to sit in the entrance bad mouthing your staff for all to hear. (or talking about your locations in general) staff is told to always be aware of what you are saying because you never know who is around but their managers can't even do that. nobody feels like their job is secure so they look for other employment. if you want to be appreciated for your hard work and dedication find somewhere else. i believe no job is perfect but this one is nowhere close. high turn over...everyone is replaceable.
Pros
the kids and families
Cons
long hours.disrespect.unprofessional.no trust in their staff.
Typical Day
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILDecember 21, 2016
The families are the best.

Management is horrible. Lack of concern for employees. Lack of training or help when asked for the help or training.

Most of the co-workers are cool but there are some bad ones.
dirty, poorly ran, over ratio, bad management
Slave (Former Employee) –  Bensenville, ILNovember 30, 2016
Classrooms and school are dirty and things are never fixed, very high turn over rate with directors and teachers and staff is treated very dispensable. Micromanaged and treated unfairly by district managers and worked ridiculously long hours with no breaks. Teachers are not paid enough to do all the dirty work and not given any perks, no teamwork or unity. No job security, always walking on egg shells around upper management, very inconsistent. Kids and teachers were great but the company is going under. Disgusted with how upper management treated people.
Fun atmosphere!
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILOctober 5, 2016
I really enjoy working here! The kids and staff are great. Working with children is very rewarding. When they see you and run up to hug you, when they learn something for the first time!

The only negative is that there are so many rules and regulations (given by the state) ..so you can't really avoid this if you're working in this industry. It's just created alot of tension with parents mainly, hence some of the negative reviews.. it's been a learning curve but really everyone here is great- I really recommend joining the team :)

I plan to stay here for a while. The flexibility is good and enjoying your job is worth SO much!
Pros
flexibility, fun team, relaxed atmosphere, casual dress
Cons
a lot of responsibilities
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  1738 E Kensington Rd Mount Prospect IlOctober 1, 2016
The children are the best part of being a teacher! I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I have worked hard to ensure the children have a great learning environment to complement the curriculum, and then I see the children repeating things they've learned to their parents – or anyone else who will listen.
Safari is fun and enjoyable
Teacher (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 22, 2016
I really enjoy the atmosphere here. Everyone's very friendly and considerate. They've been flexible with scheduling and pay well. Definiely recommend .
Pros
benefits and childcare discounts
Fun place to work.. Currant empolyee/parent
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILSeptember 2, 2016
They have given me opportunity's to move up with the company. Works with my kid's school schedule. All of my own kids have fun. They enjoy the fun learning activities the teachers plan. Management team are very friendly and professional. It truly is by far the best company I have ever worked at. I enjoy coming to work everyday. Some of these reviews I can honestly say I disagree with!
Pros
Great people to work with.. Management team is awesome
Cons
Don't offer vision as of right now!
Beautiful place
Director (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, ILAugust 10, 2016
I read all the reviews, a little shocked I might say. I was there for a short time about 5 to 6 months. Dcfs visited my site once, no issues. I was the Director. Childcare centers almost everywhere has a great rate of staff turnover. There is a lot of money put into the children's meals. They fully invest 100% in giving monthly birthday parties for the children. Extremely cautious about ratios. The ratios were well monitored. I enjoyed working for the company. I left because of my own personal reasons. However I did resign with the intent on returning. I was happy to be associated with this company. The management had no tolerance for staff, that did not want to maintain, and uphold a safe and healthy environment for the children. Some staff tends to get to comfortable and forget that childcare is not a gathering place nor a place to use your electronic devices, it's an environment that is very serious and needs to be well maintained for children's well beings. Families put all of there trust in us as childcare providers. It's our duties to maintain that trust. This company did not settle for anything less. I did work from 8-6pm without a break, however I was able to eat at my desk at the time that I felt was convenient for me as well as the care of the children. I did not have to be, teacher, cook, janitor, etc..., however I did step in to assist as needed as well as spend time with all of the children. That's what the Director do! Remember that's also time for staff observation and fulfilling your job duties as the Director. The children need to know who you are as well  more... as their parents.
Thank you Safari for my experience, it was well appreciated.
Pros
Educational and Caring
It was a nightmare! Stay away!
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Streamwood, ILJuly 28, 2016
It's not worth it to work here even as a starting job. They treat the staff like slaves and don't care about the well being of the children. I went from being an assistant teacher to cook and cleaning lady to shoveling snow outside in the winter. Better off working somewhere else.
Stay away
Director/teacher (Former Employee) –  Streamwood, ILJuly 8, 2016
As a former employee, I am ashamed to stay i was at one point associated with this company. In the time i was there, I have seen many staff leave because of corporate. They love the kids but the bosses are another story. The prices are way to high and there is not enough notice of price increase so family would leave and go somewhere else. U put in all those hours for it not to be good enough. TA in a room by themselves bc there is not enough leads. If you are looking find another center.
Pros
kids and staff
Cons
over worked, no follow through, empty words
Please Avoid
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJune 21, 2016
The company is corrupt, has constant disregard of DCFS standards, under fed children, does not care for health and safety of children, does not care/appreciate staff, treats families horribly, does not properly train staff, etc.
Pros
The Children, Families, Co-workers
Cons
Good location and great staff
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILJune 9, 2016
The atmosphere is great and all the staff is very friendly and welcoming. The families at the center are wonderful and very appreciative for the hard work the teachers put in. The facility works hard to make the parents happy and to feel comfortable leaving their child in our care. I enjoy the atmosphere and the loving feeling you get when walking in the door.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not necessarily anything specific. No job is perfect
Stay away unless you are desperate
Lead teacher (Former Employee) –  Streamwood, ILApril 10, 2016
They have you working over ratio,
Low work equipment for the children, books, toys ect. DCFS visits every month and they always find something.
Meals are not healthy everything is fully Cooked only needs to be heated.
Have you schedule from 8-5 but when you arrive and they have low numbers you are told not to clock in.
It is hard to go to the bathroom there is no one to relieve you.
They allow the teacher asst. to be left with the children alone knowing they are not suppose to.
Too many children getting hurt because of over ratio.
The teachers have the best interest at heart for the children but the upper management always change things they are all about money.
Pros
Health benefits and dental benefits
Don't even bother applying.
Director (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 24, 2016
This company's horrible reviews are right on! Employees are over worked, hired with no plan. They ripped me off mileage that was owed to me for training with the company and drove over 100 miles a day for them and they sent me a check for 10.00. The "regional" directors talk behind employees backs and have no regard for the teachers or directors who work for them. They are also trying to implement "hooked on phonics" which is worksheets where the kids try to learn to read. The environment is miserable, teachers left out of ratios classroom's are not stocked to DCFS standards and the classrooms are filthy! Kids out of control, while I was there a teacher was so disgruntled that he left out the back door and never returned. DCFS closed down 2 of there centers while I worked within the month I was there. Scary place!
Pros
Cons
see above
Wonderful company to work for
Administrator for 8 locations (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 23, 2016
Safari is a great company that truly cares for kids and its employees. The owner had given me many opportunities to continue my education and keep working up the ladder to where I am at now. He not only cared about me as an individual but stressed the importance of family life as well. I am proud to say that I worked for Safari Childcare.
Pros
career advancements
Great for kids
Develop and lead (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILSeptember 10, 2015
It is an amazing place to work. If you love children and want to be apart of the lives of our youth then work here.

Day time hours and can work part time or full time
Horrible place.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILSeptember 9, 2015
This place should be shut down.
Very disorganized, unprofessional, not safe for children.
All the "Teachers" did was yell at children.
Very disgusted and disappointed.
I quit during training.