SAFE CREDIT UNION Employee Reviews in United States

marketing management makes it difficult for communication specialists
Senior Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAApril 29, 2016
The marketing department environment at SAFE is very difficult for communications specialists. The VP is vague when communicating what he expects and wants. He is is rarely in the office, and when he is, he is constantly changing projects at the very last minute and calling impromptu unstructured meetings that last two hours. This causes confusion among staff members and results in mistakes. The creative atmosphere in this department is damaged due to micromanaging. There have been incidents in which communications specialists ideas were ridiculed in front of other team members. No trust. No respect. Poor communication. Coworkers are great, but management is a problem.
Pros
Excellent benefits and good pay
Cons
poor marketing management
Wonderful experience.
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Rio Linda, CAMarch 8, 2016
Working with SAFE Credit Union to create a student-run bank on a high school campus has been amazing.I love working with the people and the other students.
Professional corporation with a high regard for its employees!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJune 3, 2015
Very detailed and exciting duties working with a smart, caring executive team! Working for a large corporation was very educating and rewarding. SAFE has such a wonderful training program for its employees.
Customer Oriented
Member Service Representative/Teller (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMarch 6, 2015
Accurately and efficiently processing and recording routine transactions for bank customers including cashing checks, accepting deposits and withdrawals, processing loan payments and money transfers. Throughout each day we make sure to promote and advise members on the bank's products and services.
Very productive work environemt
Work Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Every day I start my day by reading through emails and voicemails. Through the day I help members with servicing, account opening, loan servicing, loan processing, loan applications, CD servicing, IRA servicing, and audits. I have learned about the policies and procedures of the credit union. I have also learned how to deepen relationships with members. My management has been very helpful with coaching and training.
Pros
building great relationships with members
Cons
getting interrupted in the middle of work
Productive with lots of room for advancement
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  North Highlands, CADecember 30, 2014
Micro managing, strict on breaks/lunches. Learns a lot about the banking institution.
Super positive, up building environment with a focus on success through teamwork.
Benefit and Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 23, 2014
Challenging and rewarding daily duties
I learned organizational skills as well as prioritizing
Management was positive and up lifting, worked for the success of direct reports
Co-workers were very professional and a pleasure to work with
Most difficult part of job was bi-weekly orientation presentations to sometimes large groups of new hires
Most enjoyable was working to serve the employees
Pros
positive culture
Cons
there were none
Credit Union
Work Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 28, 2014
If you like sales, this is the place for you. If not, its probably best to look elsewhere.
Customer focused credit union
Mortgage Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAAugust 25, 2014
Everyone at SafeCU has been exrtemly kind, open and willing to assist. The company as a whole is more customer oriented then any company I have worked for.
benefits
Cons
no branches in contra costa county
Very poor management at tthe executive level.
AVP Mortgage Loan Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CaliforniaAugust 23, 2014
Management makes decisions without the proper facts, just by emotion.
Pros
great customers
Cons
senior management
Amazing leadership team.
Call Center Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 20, 2014
Co-workers and leadership are amazing. Working bank hours is always a plus. Small call center so everyone works together.
Pros
45 min lunch
Cons
no overtime
If you're coming from a large financial institution, start at another CU
ACCOUNT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Watt AveJune 30, 2014
The antiquated DOS and DOT Matrix systems were a nightmare to work with. The system holds redundancies that dramatically slow the productivity of the day. For as long as it takes to get through simple tasks like account servicing and even certificate servicing, there is absolutely no way to reach high numbers, because your day is a little preoccupied.
Pros
closed sundays
Cons
if you get stuck with the wrong manager, you'll never advance and never leave that branch
Encouraging Work Environment
Branch Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fair Oaks, CAJune 4, 2014
SAFE has an amazing training program for all positions that provides the necessary tools to be successful. There is a strong career pathing program which allows employees to know where they are going and how to promote. Customer service is a huge focus, which sets the company apart from other institutions.
Call Center- Nightmare enviorment w/no stability or room for advancement unless you're a Manager/Supervisor Favorite!
Call Center Rep II (Former Employee) –  Call Center North Highlands, CaFebruary 5, 2014
My overall experience in the Safe Call Center was sub-par. Without my other department co-workers, I would've never lasted as long as I did. To much micro management/favoritism when it comes to the Managers/Supervisors! Supervisors have NO personal care for employees. Amy Copper only cares about her #'s vs. Employees. Amber Mitchell Asst. Manager of Call Center had to much favoritism and B.S. you all the time! The Call Center environment was poor with too many kids being hired. Unprofessional attitude, no proper training. Turnover is EXTREMELY HIGH! Supervisors/WTL Nicole Smith, Elise Page, & Brandy Powers, find any way to snitch anything about you if they don't like you. Not a fun place to work. Great supervisors were Tiffany Whitaker, Marisa Root & Ashley Wagner!
Pros
co-workers stick together, employees make the call center enjoyable
Cons
manager/supervisors (to much favoritism), to many women vs men!
Inept leadership
Marketing (Former Employee) –  SacramentoJanuary 26, 2014
People in admin leadership positions that shouldn't be. Department manager is scattered and either offers no direction or takes over projects. Unkind and has made people cry numerous times with inappropriate behavior. His assistant treats everyone like they are 16 year old fast food workers instead of professionals. Both need a Dale Carnegie course and some training .. And maybe some Xanax.
Pros
fun work
Cons
managers that shouldn't be
Helping members acheive a greater financial well -being
Account Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Granite Bay, CAJanuary 15, 2014
I typical as an account representative was a busy one. On my down time I would be working on audits and calling members to follow up on my product pipeline or any leads I was working on.

Throughout the day I would help out on the teller line to try to bring in more business for myself as well as help the tellers. I would also approve a lot of their transactions so I work very close with the tellers.

I have members sitting down to talk about their accounts, open up new accounts, apply for loans, and honestly just to talk as well. I build great rapport with our members which is why I am so successful, they tell me how their children are doing, where they went on vacation, how their weekend was. I gain their trust so when it does come to any suggestions I may have as to their financial well-being they are more open, in return, it helps me to be successful.
Changing to be more like a bank in sales
Management (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CADecember 10, 2013
Was a great company until senior management changed. New management did not know what was going on in branch environment and also did not support their employees. There was not a "typical day" because most branches were so understaffed that we had to perform many jobs at the same time. I learned a great deal of valuable banking duties, regulations and compliance situations. Co-workers are the best part of this job! Pay is not great compared to the financial industry as a whole.
Pros
recognition for top branch performers
Cons
no consistency within departments and branches
Down to earth work place with room for growth
Real Estate Loan Processor III (Current Employee) –  North Highlands, CANovember 14, 2013
My job consists of dealing with many parties on a daily basis (member's, underwriter's, loan officer's, and agents) to close real estate loans. My job can be stressful at times but always keeps me challenged and on my toes :-). I really enjoy my job because it allows me to put people at ease during one of the most stressful times of their lives (buying or refinancing a home).
Great Credit Union to work for
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 9, 2013
I enjoyed working for the Credit Union. It was very small and got to know all the clients. The pay wasn't great but was a blast to work for.
Very disappointing
Account Service Representative (Former Employee) –  SacramentoAugust 23, 2013
When I started with SAFE I was so inspired during the first 2 weeks of training. Once I got to the branch, I struggled a lot with the coaching and development of the management. As time when on, I realized that it was nothing that I had hoped it would be and found myself very disappointed and unhappy.