Safe Horizon Employee Reviews

not a good place
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 8, 2018
safe horizon is not a good place to work they don't care about your heath or safe being they go against you in every way they can it is not a good place to work
Pros
Cons
all
I worked at the shelter on Staten Island, The Director is terrible!!!
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NY 10304January 18, 2018
I worked at the shelter on Staten Island, The Director is terrible!!! She is sexist and very incompetent. She is very bias and judgmental. There is an SRS there that is so unprofessional to staff and the clients. This shelter is in a position to help a lot of people there if some of the staff would just grow up and keep there personal life at home and not at work!!!!
Pros
Cons
Everything!!!
The work environment is what you make it
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2018
You can benefit from the company if you take initial to learn all you can with the skill sets they offer. I have been working at Safe Horizon full-time. Pros. There are opportunities to grow within the agency, work with various agencies, and participate in ongoing training. Cons. The work environment can be negative at times and salaries are limited. Advice to Management. Have a positive and encouraging work environment.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
No pay increase to compensate great work ethic
productive work place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2017
I learned so much at safe horizon. its a safe place to work. the co workers make it fun. the environment is awesome. the culture is well rounded . I work at safe horizon full time. I enjoyed my self
Productive and Close Work Place
Clinical Forensic Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 20, 2017
Everyone is collaborates with one another. It's a happy environment and everyone made me feel comfortable once I began working. Everyone seems very passionate about their work.
Good advancement opportunities.
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 11, 2017
Safe Horizon treats their staff with respect, and gives them the opportunity to advance in their careers within the company. They train their staff, and offer great benefits packages. The Supervisors are very caring, and offer an ear for any issues staff might have.
Pros
Fun work environment.
Cons
Short Staffed
Very Good Experience
SUPERVISING RESIDENTIAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York CityNovember 18, 2017
I worked for Safe Horizon from 2004 to 2016. I started as a Residential Specialist out of college and was later promoted to Supervisor Residential Specialist. I worked with many different levels of management and learned from them all. This is a very good company to work for and grow with. Watching residents first entering Safe Horizon and seeing how much they grow is a really good feeling.
Pros
Helping the clients/families and watching them grow.
Cons
You forget to take care of yourself because you get so involve in the care of the clients.
Relaxed workplace
Residential Case Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2017
Safe Horizon is a DV shelter, my job was relaxing.

I learned about different situations pertaining DV; and the stastics

The work culture was professional

The hardest part of the job is client who were not compliant with shelter rules or service plans.

The best part is working with client one on one.
Wonderful Organization
Domestic Violence Advocate (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYNovember 7, 2017
Great organization that focused on the employees. Health benefits as well as four weeks paid vacation along with all holidays off. I would of never left if I did not have to relocate because of my spouses job. Their Crime Victim Advocate program was the best!
Pros
4 weeks paid vacation
Cons
a lot of training
Safe Horizon
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2017
I learned a lot by working for Safe Horizon. I learned a lot about Domestic Violence because this was a Domestic Violence Shelter. I would have to conduct intakes over the phone to see if the family fit the criteria of the facility and to see if we had an opening for their family composition. I would then have to direct them to a safe location so that I could pick the family up and safely get them to the facility. The hardest part was having to turn a family down. while conducting an intake an undividable ight not fit the requirement, so you cannot take the family. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the families. Once they arrive and become acquainted to the facility and staff they get to see that we really are here to help them. Management was never available when you needed them so this could be quite frustrating due to the fact that sometimes we were picking up clients late in the evening hours. Sometimes we need to get in contact with administration. my colleagues were wonderful to work with. we were all team players and understood the pressure we were under.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
short staffed at times
fair job
Advocate, Crime Victim Assistance Program (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2017
Fair job because I am able to manage it well. The job was not stressful and the workers are friendly. The only problem is that the payment is low. Therefore, I am looking for something that pays better.
Productive Work Environment
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYSeptember 6, 2017
I liked working here because the agency promotes the use of selfcare strategy to promote employee wellbeing. I like that the agency offers a lot of training to keep employees informed.
Pros
Helping people to meet their needs.
Cons
It can be stressful at times.
fast paced and allways a challenge
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  Universal City, TXAugust 30, 2017
good environment with a good work force. the environment of the project changed constantly with the need of the client. Allways a push to be innovative and come up with new ideas and products to wow the clients. the artist values of the company were allways open to any and all employees. No good art was ever turned down and the client allways got the final decision.
Pros
relaxed work environment
Cons
long hours to complete project
great work but terrible pay
Domestic Violence Advocate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2017
I love the work I do at Safe Horizon. I get to interact with clients everyday and I am learning a lot. However, Safe Horizon does NOT pay livable wages.
Productive and people friendly
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2017
The agency is provate and shows compassion to the residents. All information is confidential. The company has many different opportunities for growth.
Pros
Clean facilities, flexible schedules
Cons
No over time
Safe Horizon is a safe place for victims
Client Advocate Specialist, Hotline Program (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 13, 2017
A typical day at work varies from day to day because I deal with victims of domestic violence. I have learned so many skill when it comes to helping people.
Pros
The pros is helping people keep safe
Cons
The cons are not being able to help people
over all rating
Supervisor Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 9, 2017
great place to work if your in school.
room for growth at this company.
allot of support from the superiors.
equal treatment and opportunity enforced
Compassionate atmosphere for clients
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYJune 30, 2017
I worked with the agency for 2months. I learned about the workings of a domestic violence shelter. Moving families from their abuser to safety and all the intricacies of returning them to the community safely. The day that I completed my prbbtnary period I contracted an infection in my eye that eventually put me in the hospital for 2weeks. I lost my position but thought I'd be offered an alternative but I was terminated with out notice.
Pros
I felt useful
Cons
I didn't know that I'd be jobless because I got sick!
great place to work but you will be extremely under paid
Case Manager, Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2017
I would give the company 5 stars if the pay was even close to what other organizations pay for the same role. Safe Horizon pays way below the average. This is an extremely frustrating thing, when you love the work and company and what it stands for.
Cons
pay
Great learning experience. Wore many hats.
Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 16, 2017
Very demanding. Worked with elderly crime victims. Very fast-paced and demanding. A lot of field work involved. I was disappointed when I learned from a representative from our funding source that the program I worked for was being defunded and that there were plans to place me in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn, NY. The plan was to inform me at the last minute. This prompted me to act immediately. I was able to move on before the program ended.
Pros
Great opportunity to work with the elderly.
Cons
Salary