Safe Horizon Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work but people are PHONY
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2016
Safe Horizon is a great agency providing great services to people of crime..however, directors play favorite, and at times are unprofessional by interacting with staff inappropriately by going drinking at bars..staff have their kids go to their jobs as though there are babysitting or after school program..Directors would be aware and let some get away with some behaviors while others are condemned for doing their jobs..watch out for the Criminal Justice Program and the management..
Pros
Good agency
Cons
Management don't have their staff back
Good
Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2016
Good environment and awesome to work with people with less privileges. closer to the train, and every where to the city hall and wall trade center
Pros
Vacation Time
Cons
Small salary
Volunteer
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Worked with this company while i was in high school. The company allows you to rub shoulders with some influential people. I enjoyed doing so many activities with the company for a few years, we volunteered at shelters and provided workshops for school aged children.
A place to help
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Domestic Violence Emergency ShelterOctober 9, 2015
A typical day at work for me is showing emotional support to victims of domestic violence. For me, I love the work I do because I am apart of helping families move from crisis to confidence. Working here has taught me to gain confidence when dealing with individuals, it has also taught me to have more patience. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing families move from the shelter system into their own apartments with their children and start the a new journey in their lives.
Pros
Bonds established with clients
Cons
Can be overwhelming at times
A day at work is a different learning experience everyday.
Supervising Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 2, 2015
Working with a diverse family culture, whether it's women, men & children, single men, single women, teenage, LGBT in the field of Domestic Violence is a rewarding learning experience to assist clients from their domestic violence relationship to a safe shelter and eventually leave the shelter to go to their own home to rebuild their lives.
Pros
Rewarding life experiences, benefits, training programs.
Cons
double shifts, weekend shifts.
Good place to work at but there is not much room for growth
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2015
The work remains interesting from seeing different people come and go but there is much inconsistencies in how management wants us to handle each client. Even though it is a non-profit in the end it is still a business and this has changed my perception of it. It also changes the way we work with people.
Learning experience in this company, cares about the employees well being, Upper management interacts with all employees.
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2015
Your able to learn the scope of the organization, from beginning to end. different sector of the organization treat you with respect. Staff day every one is consider as one.
Not an easy work environment, But the satisfaction and smile from the clients make it all worth it.
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 17, 2015
Coordinating age-appropriate activities for residents and their children
Supervising children while the parents are receiving services or making appointments;Caring for infant, toddlers and school age children, which includes feeding, changing diapers, and maintaining a clean environment;Observing children's behavior and reporting problems or needs to appropriate staff. Identifying resources and making referrals for parents and children with appropriate services providers in the community. One of the most enjoyable part of my job would be when i assist the clients and they are satisfied with my work. I love to see the children smile.
it's amazing to see people that want change in their lives.
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 14, 2015
I interview families, men and women that are in domestic violence situation and place them in the shelter for safety. They do not share the shelter space; everyone has their own space. It goes by the family size. It's amazing to see how families, men and women want better in life and stays strong throughout the stay in the shelter.
Pros
How staff show clients support. Also how staff shows eachother support
Clients
Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 1, 2015
The clients and their children made it all worth it. They were so grateful for the help the received. Management was always willing to lend a helping hand. Hardest part of my job was seeing the clients leave.
A great place to gain experience
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2015
The most interesting part about working at this company is that there is not a "typical day at work". It is what makes the job interesting. Yoiu can experience anything at any given moment from family crisis to client imminent danger. The best part about working here is the diverse populations and sitautions that you encounter.

Due to the nature of the population of people being in crisis staff are close and there is a strong need for teamwork as clients can be in danger and so can staff as I worked primarily in the domestic violence shelter system. The most enjoyable part of working at the job would be seeing clients gain their independence and being able to move forward with their lives.
Complete Chaos And Very Uncomfortable Atmosphere
Residential Specialist / Secuirity (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 26, 2015
This is a company that belittles the clients and employees. The supervisors and directors have to be the most rudest uncompromising, and immature individuals I ever met. This job consist of the management gossiping and bullying. Their standard is to treat clients who are homeless with care but most of those clients would be better off on the street than to be bullied and ridiculed. The most uncomfortable experience ever for an employee. And this is across the board with the company
Pros
The Clients have warm spirits
Cons
The staff and the oragnization
Good Company
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 23, 2015
There Mission statement is to take people from crisis to safety and it is accomplished. They were truly understaffed and when dealing with highly sensitive population it can be stressful.
Pros
Helping the sensitive population
Cons
long hours and late shiffs
unproductive work environment.
Childcare Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2015
Very stressful work environment, difficult clients and staff, unsupportive management. Cared for children in a domestic violence facility, some children were very challenging along with their parents, others were very pleasant. Supervising/ managerial staff was very unhelpful when in came to clientele or personal issues.
provided great training and a balanced work environment.
Associate Vice President of Shelters (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2015
productive job environment that provided training and ensured staff had a good understanding of vicarious trauma. provided staff with support and understanding of the need for stable mental health.
Pros
flexibility with hours worked
Cons
unable to take lunch because of multiple task, but it was manageable.
Rewarding
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2015
i have met many people while working there who became like an extended family to me i the work force. Unfortunately, we had to disband due to unforeseen events that took place. my co-workers and I were disbanded to different shelters. the shelter in which I am working for currently is great. the upside of working with the new shelter is that i learned more things about my job than I did at my previous shelter. I have worked with amazing people. I am always looking for new things to learn and to expand on my work experience.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
n/a
High intensity workplace with high-humor colleagues
Clinical Forensic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYMay 4, 2015
No two days are the same at the CAC, which functions like a crisis center as cases can come in at any time. I learned many new skills, including how to do forensic interviewing as well as a new counseling modality. The hardest part of the job, and one of the hardest aspects to adjust to, is the reality of abuse that children experience and tell us about. Thankfully, everyone manages to keep a great sense of humor to keep each other's spirits up. I learned I am a lot tougher than I thought, and can handle much more difficult subject matter than before I started there.
Best agency in New York
TF-CBT and TFP Therapist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2015
Not only do they care about their employees, but they reflect this in their work culture and dedication to supervision and training. This is the friendliest, most supportive fee for service clinic I have ever seen.
Pros
Supportive co-workers and supervisors, training, supervision
Cons
fee for service payment and client no-shows
productive flexible office to work at
Case Manager- Domestic Violence Shelter Program (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 13, 2015
working at safe horizon was an amazing experience. Each day was different and provided more and more opportunities to grow and learn.
Excellent Service provider with dedicated staff
Senior Director of Employee Relations and Training (Former Employee) –  New York City (including the 5 boroughs)March 25, 2015
My seven year tenure at Safe Horizon allowed me to work closely with staff who provided services to clients in crisis; some were victims of violent crimes including domestic violence or were family members of victims. My position in Human Resources was both rewarding and productive. When I agreed to become the interim director of the facilities department and later accepted the Sr. Director's position, was perhaps not the best decision. There were internal challenges that forced me to resign from that position. That was the most difficult time for me because I had develop a close working relationship with my peers, my subordinates and the leadership team and was respected by all. Despite my decision to leave, I appreciated the opportunity to work and be a part of such a dynamic organization that continues to provide hope and protection for victims of crime and violence.
Pros
4 weeks paid vacation your first year of employment
Cons
Some Executive Team members lacked social skills and poor management ethics.