Safe Horizon

Safe Horizon Employee Reviews

Complete Chaos And Very Uncomfortable Atmosphere
Residential Specialist / Secuirity (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 26, 2015
Pros: The Clients have warm spirits
Cons: The staff and the oragnization
This is a company that belittles the clients and employees. The supervisors and directors have to be the most rudest uncompromising, and immature individuals I ever met. This job consist of the management gossiping and bullying. Their standard is to treat clients who are homeless with care but most of those clients would be better off on the street than to be bullied and ridiculed. The most uncomfortable experience ever for an employee. And this is across the board with the company
Good Company
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Helping the sensitive population
Cons: long hours and late shiffs
There Mission statement is to take people from crisis to safety and it is accomplished. They were truly understaffed and when dealing with highly sensitive population it can be stressful.
n/a
Child Care Specialist/Residential Specialist (Former Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 10, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this expected of a big company.
unproductive work environment.
Childcare Aide (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2015
Very stressful work environment, difficult clients and staff, unsupportive management. Cared for children in a domestic violence facility, some children were very challenging along with their parents, others were very pleasant. Supervising/ managerial staff was very unhelpful when in came to clientele or personal issues.
provided great training and a balanced work environment.
Associate Vice President of Shelters (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 25, 2015
Pros: flexibility with hours worked
Cons: unable to take lunch because of multiple task, but it was manageable.
productive job environment that provided training and ensured staff had a good understanding of vicarious trauma. provided staff with support and understanding of the need for stable mental health.
Rewarding
Residential Specialist (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2015
Pros: rewarding
Cons: n/a
i have met many people while working there who became like an extended family to me i the work force. Unfortunately, we had to disband due to unforeseen events that took place. my co-workers and I were disbanded to different shelters. the shelter in which I am working for currently is great. the upside of working with the new shelter is that i learned more things about my job than I did at my previous shelter. I have worked with amazing people. I am always looking for new things to learn and to expand on my work experience.
High intensity workplace with high-humor colleagues
Clinical Forensic Specialist (Current Employee), Forest Hills, NYMay 4, 2015
No two days are the same at the CAC, which functions like a crisis center as cases can come in at any time. I learned many new skills, including how to do forensic interviewing as well as a new counseling modality. The hardest part of the job, and one of the hardest aspects to adjust to, is the reality of abuse that children experience and tell us about. Thankfully, everyone manages to keep a great sense of humor to keep each other's spirits up. I learned I am a lot tougher than I thought, and can handle much more difficult subject matter than before I started there.
Best agency in New York
TF-CBT and TFP Therapist (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 29, 2015
Pros: Supportive co-workers and supervisors, training, supervision
Cons: fee for service payment and client no-shows
Not only do they care about their employees, but they reflect this in their work culture and dedication to supervision and training. This is the friendliest, most supportive fee for service clinic I have ever seen.
Large non profit
Team Lead Infrastructure Operations (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 21, 2015
Pros: Time off, health care, Industry leader
Cons: Not much opportunity for professional groth
Large non profit with years of experience. Some managers are better than other. the CEO is amazing. Many programs in many locations.
productive flexible office to work at
Case Manager- Domestic Violence Shelter Program (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 13, 2015
working at safe horizon was an amazing experience. Each day was different and provided more and more opportunities to grow and learn.
Excellent Service provider with dedicated staff
Senior Director of Employee Relations and Training (Former Employee), New York City (including the 5 boroughs)March 25, 2015
Pros: 4 weeks paid vacation your first year of employment
Cons: Some Executive Team members lacked social skills and poor management ethics.
My seven year tenure at Safe Horizon allowed me to work closely with staff who provided services to clients in crisis; some were victims of violent crimes including domestic violence or were family members of victims. My position in Human Resources was both rewarding and productive. When I agreed to become the interim director of the facilities department and later accepted the Sr. Director's position, was perhaps not the best decision. There were internal challenges that forced me to resign from that position. That was the most difficult time for me because I had develop a close working relationship with my peers, my subordinates and the leadership team and was respected by all. Despite my decision to leave, I appreciated the opportunity to work and be a part of such a dynamic organization that continues to provide hope and protection for victims of crime and violence.
Program Manager/Psychotherapist (Former Employee), Queens, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: providing needed services, good collegial co-workers
Cons: lack of funding
Day at work involved seeing clients, writing reports, group supervision, working with colleagues. Learned a great deal about immigration issues, asylum issues, impact of trauma. Co-workers were generally good and shared knowledge. Hardest part of job was dealing with terrible stories told by victims of torture and war trauma. Best part was collegial atmosphere
A place of healing and transitioning for victims of Domestic Violence.
Residential Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: impacting a client's life in a positive way.
Cons: not knowing what happens with the client after they leave the shelter.
The most enjoyable part about my job is seeing the client's transition from their situation and move on to provide a better life for themselves and their children.
An very intellectual environment.
Intern (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYDecember 14, 2014
The atmosphere I was introduced to working at Safe Horizon, was amazing and I learned something new about the law everyday. My boss was wonderful and my co workers and I very hard workers. We worked with victims of any sort of crimes and would provide psychological services and even compensations to those who qualified. Everyday something was learned about how the judicial system functions. The hardest part working at Safe Horizon was not able to help the victims in a manner they wanted because they simply did not qualify for what was being asked for by themselves.
changing lives for the better
Criminal Court Mediator Assistant (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 13, 2014
I learned how to work with all different walks of life. The hardest part of the job was hearing stories that would change your life and your entire outlook on whats important.
Experience
Case management (Former Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 17, 2014
Multi task, team player. Help/ assist clients who were in danger from domestic violence.
Productive and enjoyable environment
Case Manager (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I worked in a fun environment, especially in Safe Horizon, and Block Institute. I want to work either full time/part time. I got along with all my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the clients and interacting with the clients. The hardest part of job was listening to the clients stories and taking it home with me. Management was amazing the supervisor was very interactive and she loved discussing issues. I learned a lot about clients and how to deal with them.
Open and helpful enviroment
Social Service Supervisor/Assistant Director (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: paid lunch, staff outtings
Cons: limited health benefits
A typical day consisted of handling clients and staff.

I began my day walking through the facility, greeting staff. I would go to my office and check emails that morning. I would answer emails, follow up with case management team in regards to their weekly and monthly case work. Every two weeks I had case management with each case worker. We will discuss each client and their progress. I would give my case workers direction for each client that will help advance their progress in the program. Housing, employment, child care, education, medical, and mental health is discuss with all clients and case manger team for better support.

I also interviewed potential clients to be accepted into the program.
I interviewed potential employees for employment. I have trained employees for all position on the site. I supervised over child care staff, case management staff and facility staff. I have conducted staff investigations, evaluations and terminations. I also assisted with daily function of the facility, client exiting and entering, security, janitorial needs.
I also was required to do all data, billing for agency and state audit needs, and manage physical cases.

I have learned that I can not help those that do not want to help themselves. My job is to continue to encourage and support.

As a supervisor I lead by example. I have an open door policy. I am very hands on and believe team work is needed to succeed. I enjoyed all of my co-workers. We have all become friends and worked well as a team.

Most enjoyable thing about the job is knowing that we are helping people that are in need for a varity of things. To see a client make progress means I have made a difference.

The hardest part of the job is when clients are not willing to work with staff or follow program polices.
Organization doing great work for victims of domestic abuse
Program Assistant (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 18, 2014
Pros: the compensation and benefits.
Cons: expectations were at times unrealistic.
A good organization that was going through some changes at the time I was working there.
client intake,child care, data entry
RESIDENTIAL MANAGER (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 30, 2014
Pros: client interaction
answer phones, intake calls from battered woman from the national domestic violence hotline. client pick up from police station to take them to womans shelter, provided clothes, food and safe environment for clients and their children

1 2 3