Safe Horizon Employee Reviews

Great Environment
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 27, 2017
I love working for Safe Horizon. The atmosphere is makes it easy for you to focus on your job. The CEO is very inspiring and down to earth. Trainings provided are very beneficial.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Some supervisors are not in alignment with the culture of the company
N/a
N/A (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2017
N/A its okay for those who passion fall within the culture of the organization. good work life balance for those with family
Great
Client Advocate Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 9, 2017
A typical day is assist client through inbound calls. The class can be intense but rewarding. The work environment is great
Productive fun work place
Advocate for lgbtq community (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2016
This is a family orientated business every one was so loving and genuwin with kindness providing programs for the youth had a lot of connections and resources showing worth ethic indecent living and the etc I enjoy my experience with safe horizon
Pros
Free lunch pay every week
Cons
Over staffed
Being in a friendly and comfortable environment.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 14, 2016
A typical day at work would be communicating with clients and coworkers. I've learned that with a pleasant attitude you can make others day better. Management helped me remain on time and complete task on time. The hardest part was creating enough time to get something done. The most enjoyable part was seeing clients leave with a smile on their face,
Okay for starter job
SUPERVISING RESIDENTIAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 12, 2016
If you are looking for experience ONLY this is the place to be. The pros are that you get plenty of training classes which are very informative and fun.
Pros
training classes and nonjudgmental approach to clients.
Cons
no advancement and very very low pay for the job task
Safe Horizon is a great place to gain experience
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2016
Overall, I love what the company stands for and does for victims of abuse. Working for a company that gives back to the community is very fulfilling. With that being said, Safe Horizon does have its limitations. SH is a non-profit so the compensation is not all that great but has really good benefits. I have gained valuable experience in these last 2 years but its time to move on.
Benefits
Cons
Office Politics
Relaxed Environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 18, 2016
Of course there was serious work to do but at the same time there was not much walking around and being on my feet all day. I was a pretty mellow and chill environment, an organized office/work space.
Pros
Relaxed, Fun, Mellow
Cons
Public Transportation
A place of growth and place fill with compation for clients
Client Intake Specialist/Screener (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2016
My days begin at 9am, checking clients in for appointment, directing them to the correct person. making sure there needs are met. Making sure the Administration is inform of any complications in the front , or any emergency's with clients. Also making sure the client feel safe and comfortable, also explain the process to our clients.
Pros
Having a positive outcome with the clients needs.
Cons
Not being able to to fullfill all the clients needs.
Excellent workplace overall, but bad at addressing problems when they arise
Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 16, 2016
Excellent coworkers, lots to learn, lots of trainings and professional support. The organization as a whole promotes a healthy work environment, self-care, provides good health benefits, and provides a great deal of training and opportunities for professional development.

Like every other non-profit in the human services field, they suffer from a perpetual problem with funding, and do not prioritize providing realistic living wages to their overworked staff providing direct services. As Safe Horizon is a victim services agency, it goes without saying that these are all incredibly taxing and emotionally exhausting positions, as fulfilling as that work can be at the same time. Without going into administration, you can barely reach $40K. Hope to have a partner who makes more than you or live paycheck to paycheck forever!

Little to no support for employees efforts to seek a degree (which is the only way to possibly move up) - a very nominal scholarship is offered to exactly one employee each semester for an MSW, and the organization will not guarantee clinical supervision or support to even those employees they recommend who are admitted to programs.

Also, a bad supervisor can quickly ruin the experience. I personally dealt with a supervisor who had numerous complaints against her, multiple inquiries that confirmed she created a hostile work environment for her employees, and yet HR was happy to let case manager after case manager go rather than seriously address the problem by transferring her or forcing real changes in her behavior.
Pros
overall company culture, healthcare benefits, learning opportunities
Cons
compensation, no real solutions to problems in workplace, high turnover, lack of meaningful support.
very good
MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 9, 2016
Verygood with helping DMV residents in need of help. Also with children. children don't have to face those problems in their life.
Pros
very helpful
Cons
not enough sheltorsfor DVM women.
Great place to work but people are PHONY
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2016
Safe Horizon is a great agency providing great services to people of crime..however, directors play favorite, and at times are unprofessional by interacting with staff inappropriately by going drinking at bars..staff have their kids go to their jobs as though there are babysitting or after school program..Directors would be aware and let some get away with some behaviors while others are condemned for doing their jobs..watch out for the Criminal Justice Program and the management..
Pros
Good agency
Cons
Management don't have their staff back
Good
Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2016
Good environment and awesome to work with people with less privileges. closer to the train, and every where to the city hall and wall trade center
Pros
Vacation Time
Cons
Small salary
Volunteer
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2015
Worked with this company while i was in high school. The company allows you to rub shoulders with some influential people. I enjoyed doing so many activities with the company for a few years, we volunteered at shelters and provided workshops for school aged children.
A place to help
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Domestic Violence Emergency ShelterOctober 9, 2015
A typical day at work for me is showing emotional support to victims of domestic violence. For me, I love the work I do because I am apart of helping families move from crisis to confidence. Working here has taught me to gain confidence when dealing with individuals, it has also taught me to have more patience. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing families move from the shelter system into their own apartments with their children and start the a new journey in their lives.
Pros
Bonds established with clients
Cons
Can be overwhelming at times
A day at work is a different learning experience everyday.
Supervising Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 2, 2015
Working with a diverse family culture, whether it's women, men & children, single men, single women, teenage, LGBT in the field of Domestic Violence is a rewarding learning experience to assist clients from their domestic violence relationship to a safe shelter and eventually leave the shelter to go to their own home to rebuild their lives.
Pros
Rewarding life experiences, benefits, training programs.
Cons
double shifts, weekend shifts.
Good place to work at but there is not much room for growth
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 30, 2015
The work remains interesting from seeing different people come and go but there is much inconsistencies in how management wants us to handle each client. Even though it is a non-profit in the end it is still a business and this has changed my perception of it. It also changes the way we work with people.
Learning experience in this company, cares about the employees well being, Upper management interacts with all employees.
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2015
Your able to learn the scope of the organization, from beginning to end. different sector of the organization treat you with respect. Staff day every one is consider as one.
Not an easy work environment, But the satisfaction and smile from the clients make it all worth it.
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 17, 2015
Coordinating age-appropriate activities for residents and their children
Supervising children while the parents are receiving services or making appointments;Caring for infant, toddlers and school age children, which includes feeding, changing diapers, and maintaining a clean environment;Observing children's behavior and reporting problems or needs to appropriate staff. Identifying resources and making referrals for parents and children with appropriate services providers in the community. One of the most enjoyable part of my job would be when i assist the clients and they are satisfied with my work. I love to see the children smile.
it's amazing to see people that want change in their lives.
Residential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 14, 2015
I interview families, men and women that are in domestic violence situation and place them in the shelter for safety. They do not share the shelter space; everyone has their own space. It goes by the family size. It's amazing to see how families, men and women want better in life and stays strong throughout the stay in the shelter.
Pros
How staff show clients support. Also how staff shows eachother support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safe Horizon. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval