Safeco Insurance Employee Reviews

Excellent learning experience for future professions
Insurance Agent - Gold CSR (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 29, 2013
Safeco was a good place to work and made a great learning opportunity for future professional careers.

Most of my work days consisted of taking customer and agent calls, and assisting them with whatever their needs for the customer policies, or counseling them with any insurance advice or dilemmas. Whenever a new procedure was implemented, we would hold round table meetings to discuss them. I was asked to lead 2 of these meetings.

From the job I learned to work as part of a team but also independently. My computer skills improved drastically, learning more about Office Suite programs such as Excel and Powerpoint. I also learned about my own personal work style, that I deal well with leadership, but not with being micromanaged. Once I get the hang of a task, I'm better suited to work and improve on my own, rather than being watched over constantly.

Management was par on average. We would be given instruction and certain goals to meet, and about half of the time would be given the tools needed to reach those goals. Upper management was a great help, when available.

Co-workers all helped one another, with any problems, questions, or any heated customer calls that the receiving agent couldn't handle.

The hardest part of the job was meeting the ever increasing metrics without true assistance or understanding from management. I believe that they were increasing the metrics consistently to help them decide who to lay off.

My coworkers were by and far the most enjoyable part of the job. They were always willing to give advice or open an ear to any question, whether professional
  more... or personal. They were like the proverbial work family.  less
Pros
excellent coworker resources
Cons
poor give and take from management
Working for Safeco
Senior Total Loss Adjuster (Current Employee) –  indianapolis, inAugust 11, 2014
Working for Safeco has been wonderful for me. I have gained alot of knowledge working there for the past 10 years. As I start my new journey by moving to Houston, TX, I hope to find employment as enjoyable as the one I have had with Safeco.

A typical day consist of checking my voicemail, responding to emails, working on my pending claim, issuing payments and calling out on my new claims.

I have learned to be patient and make sure my work speaks for itself. It is very important to document every file because you want to make sure whoever sees it understands what is going on with the file.

I simply adore my co-workers and will miss them dearly. They are my family. When you are at work most of the day this people become an important part of your life.

The hardest part about this job is that it is neverending until the file is complete and you are able to close it. You have to make sure you work your files as much as possible to make sure you close them in a timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping theh customer understand the process. Most are clueless because they have never been in an accident before and it is up to the adjuster to walk them through everything so they will understand. We become so much more than adjusters at that point.
Pros
being able to deliver more than just customer service
Cons
not getting overtime when needed
Beware of Management!
Inside Auto Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJApril 23, 2013
Claims is stressful. But add managers who know nothing about the job and are always looking for ways to improve the process (ie, adding more work) and your stress level will be tested. In less than 2 months, 5 people quit, only one was a promotion. 2 people currently working in this job are having medical issues because of the stress and are considering going out on medical leave. Management have told people they either need to quit complaining or quit. I am only saying this because while they claim to be adequately staffed, everyone in the department is currently seeking opportunities to leave. By the end of the year, more than half of the department will be gone. The oldest adjuster they have there has been there just shy of 2 years. The management alone is brand new. No one has been there for over 2 years. I have heard horror stories of claims jobs, and those with experience from prior companies say this is the worst by far. They will say work for 6 months and you will get a promotion. That is a lie as well. In the past year, only 3 people have been promoted, the other 12 have left the company.
love the culture and relationships between management and employees
Inside Property Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHJune 15, 2015
coming into work, pulling messages, checking emails, pulling claims and making first contact as soon as possible.

I learned how to structure my day, learned how to make each claim a person that is in need and help them to the best of my ability.

the greatest management team I ever worked for, the really care about their employees, are hands on and will to help in every situation.

one of the most friendly and helping teams I ever been a part of, will stop anything they are doing to help a co-worker in need.

the hardest part of the job is not being able to satisfy each and every customer, I will try hard to do this, whatever is in my power to do, I will go beyond what is required for my job to help resolve the customer's issues.

customer service! when I can hear the smile on the other end, get kudos emails, 9-10 customer service surveys always makes me feel great. it inspires me to give 110% customer service to each and every customer, internal and external.
Pros
Bravo awards, flex time off
Cons
not being able to satisfy each and evry customer
Good group of seasoned professionals in a busy workplace
Claims Auditor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 29, 2015
•Audit casualty claims files based on 10 different phases (claim data, coverage, customer service, (investigation, reserves, recovery, settlement, administrative process, supervision and compliance)
•Run detailed reports to show outcome vs. process scores.
•Present audit results to desk level adjusters, mid-level management and senior management (used to highlight any trends in handling and where adjusters are not meeting state compliance goals).
•Serves as a mentor to newly hired staff and performs in role of Unit Manger as requested.
•Currently engaged in on-line continuing education courses through the company for further development of management skills.
•Brought in to support the new Management Training Program
•Communicate frequently with policyholders, claimants, companies, and legal professionals in the management and administration of traditional casualty and litigation claim files.
•Receive/place business calls, prepare detailed business correspondence, and performs other administrative functions as assigned.
Hard work for no acknowledgement
LNI Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 17, 2015
A typical day for an LNI adjuster is arriving at the office 1-2 hours before your start time in order to go through voicemails and look at claims that were assigned over the night. Typical amount of claims assignment was 7-8 claims per day. Each claim required contact, recorded statement, scene diagram, coverage investigation and estimate assignment. Each new claim takes approximately 30-40 minutes to work. Adjusters were also expected to answer calls and work claims as calls come in. Co-workers were isolated, no feeling of unity, management spent more time in meetings than they did on the floor but somehow was able to go into each claim and critique it. Adjusters were not given the ability to make liability decisions without approval of management and overall the job was stressful, difficult and exhausting. Very poor moral.
Pros
salary was good
Cons
working at SafeCo.
Overview
Claims Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYFebruary 3, 2014
A typical day at work is 7.5 hrs.
Receive and review new triaged claims, make contacts, updates on file, send out and f/u for necessary forms. Review and Handle billing in adherence to Standard Work Guidelines for claims handling.
Process financial reimbursement such as wages, essential services.Investigate and handle medical mangement on files to include peers, imes, and or siu if applicable. Maintain high level of customer service while reviewing and processing all claims related issues.
Pros
casual dress, flex time, tuition reimbursement, 401k, friendly coworkers
Cons
office relocating, too many claims systems not up to date
Busy, productive
Office Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 5, 2012
Entered orders into the computer with a high percentage of accuracy. Data entry. I learned a lot about insurance and about computers during this job. Management was very confusing, co workers were nice. Hardest part of the job was meeting 99% accuracy expectations-- Doable, but hard. It was also hard to understand structural expectations. I enjoyed benefits such as 45 minute lunches, having a lot to do, health benefits were good.
Pros
health benefits, longer breaks
Cons
constant mgmt changes, like 10 managers for one team in 2 years
Overall it was a good company to work for.
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNApril 19, 2013
Position of Senior Account Representative- Made and received cold calls/inbound and out bound. Set up customer accounts, quoted prices for items, took and placed orders for customer. Helped customers meet OSHA guidelines.Did a lot of research for customers.I learned a lot about industrial safety and health products. The most enjoyable part was talking with lots of different people each day and helping them make decisions on their company needs and keeping them on budget.
Pros
working days, dealing with people and the benefits
Cons
not being able to meet each customer individually.
A good place to work.
Claims Team Manager (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTSeptember 10, 2012
I managed a Unit of Property (both Commercial & Homeowners) Claims Adjusters for 12 years (15 years total with the company). I enjoyed working for the company. I learned most of what I know about both insurance & management while working there. Management was inconsistent there as there was a lot of turnover in senior management over my 12 years as a manager. The company was constantly reorganizing & ultimately was bought out by Liberty Mutual in 2008 which increased the senior management turnover. I enjoyed working with my coworkers. There are many very high quality insurance professionals there. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the constant change. The most enjoyable part of the job was the travel & interacting with my coworkers.
Fun, productive and steady
Data Entry Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 12, 2012
I worked in the data entry department updating declaration pages for various clients. Management was there always and kept a good open-door policy for the employees. Co-workers would always come up with something positive to do every week to excite everyone. The hardest part was the quota they wanted everyone to reach on a daily. Many people lost their job because they wasn't up to par. The most enjoyable part was the health insurance and pay.
Pros
health insurance, fun and exciting and pay
Cons
company moved, quota was too high for some very good workers.
Safeco Review
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 1, 2015
Answer the phones, assist customers, write notes over all experience. I learned how to work quickly and efficiently and show care and compassion when necessary. Management was overall professional, however there was obvious favoritism within the company which discouraged some employees.
My co-workers were very nice, and patient people who are obviously committed to their job. The hardest part of the job is not becoming to attached with the people you speak with.
benefits
Cons
schedules, not much flexibility
Giving, Reliable, Professional, well organized call center
Customer Service Representatve (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IndianaDecember 7, 2013
I resolve inbound calls from agents and insured needing support on billing, proof of coverage documentation. online support and policy changes.

I learned how to qualify the insure for reinstatement and the process.

The managements focus is team development.

I work with a diverse group of talented people.

Volume is the hardest part of the job. Our call volume has sky rocketed this month.

Knowing I have taken care of all the callers needs is the best part of my job.
Overall Review
Sr. Claims Adjustor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 11, 2015
I learned first the agency side and basic insurance 101. Thereafter, learned how the claims side works.I have over 10 years of insurance experience and there is still always new things to learn.

I was mentoring new folks entering the insurance world and enjoyed that very much.

I will always strive to learn more and get even better as time goes by.
Pros
lunch outings, awards given for various things and great people to work with
Cons
miscommunication, poor training, work life balance
Average
Midwest Regional Claims Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 1, 2016
I felt let down after my length of time and dedication to the company. I chose to leave for reasons not directly related to the company but I was only given a survey as an exit interview. They focus on EOS for their employees but they do not ask those choosing to leave after 15 years why. It was really a big disappointment.
Pros
great co-workers and opportunity
Cons
lots of travel and loss of work/life balance.
Good and Bad
Casualty Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 31, 2014
People were great to work with. Safeco is great at team building. They do a great job at teaching how to operate the software and how to operate things. Awful at teaching how to manage things. Expects way to much production. I had 225 claims and got 3 every day. if you could not close 3 a day the total kept climbing. I had 3 UM's in 2 years.
Pros
great coworkers lots of team building ie. free food activities ect.
Cons
crazy workload inconsistant managers
Review of Safeco
Bodily Injury Casualty Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 7, 2013
I review new and existing claims for auto accidents with injuries. Hardest part of the job is balancing the work/home life balance with required work and the turnover rate of employees. I learned to have very good time management skills to perform quality work to my claims and customers. I enjoy working with customers and helping them when they have a difficult time in their life with a major event.
Pros
great working hours, competitive pay, room for advancement
Cons
healthcare, high overturn of employees
A wind down break room with comfy couches, snacks and a big screen tv
Catastrophe Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 5, 2014
Working new/old CAT claims in multiple systems, receiving/ returning calls, and reviewing coverage to determine coverage and limits.

Learned to streamline work processes

Management was knowledgable

Co-workers were knowledgeable and fun to work with

Hardest part of job was work load

Most enjoyable part of job was getting homeowner back to normal after a loss.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
company acquired
Safeco is a company that treats their employees well, compensates fairly and empowers employees.
Inside Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 22, 2013
In the 5 years I worked at Safeco, I was consistently impressed with the overall fairness of the company and their willingness to allow employees to make decisions that allowed us to better perform our jobs. Additionally, the management was engaged, professional and treated us fairly and well. My co-workers are wonderful and are all more than willing to help each other whenever requested.
productive and fun work place
Dot Net Developer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 26, 2015
This Application is used by product managers of an insurance company to create and configure Insurance products which finally get converted to a Policy. It was a cumbersome process initially for a product manager to create an offering and decide which line of business it services and what coverage and sub coverage is covered under it. This is made easy by ICC. ICC is built on top of AICS architecture, a platform created for supporting Insurance based solutions.